• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Not necessarily a huge surprise as this is a Dev 2 production but it does nail the point home that there's no way development of Exoprimal exists without Dino Crisis being brought up in some form during it.

Whether the connection means we'll see Easter eggs/cross-overs with the DC IP remains to be scene.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
If we do get Easter eggs/crossover, I really hope they are more substantial than typical cameos/references.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely feels like Dino Crisis was discussed on some level when they were first discussing what eventually became Exoprimal.

Jan 11, 2018
Just give us another game like DC2, please! I feel like they were onto something cool with that game and then just abandoned it. And it feels like Capcom just doesn't want to acknowledge that DC was ever a thing. This is entire project just seems like such a tease.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I really don't understand the correlation being made. He was a Producer on DC, but like, I don't see why that means DC has to be brought up in relation to this new game. Just because it has dinosaurs?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Never even played Dino Crisis but a traditional RE-engine instalment just seems like a no brainer to me. I'd be there day 1, who doesn't love Dinos

convo

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the first big thing Kobayashi has been on in a hot minute for video games, since he's been their go-to guy for all the CG/anime productions on Capcom's end.
I don't know if that inspires confidence considering those recent efforts. Maybe those CG RE movies are funny enough?

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the first big thing Kobayashi has been on in a hot minute for video games, since he's been their go-to guy for all the CG/anime productions on Capcom's end.

At least according to IMDB, the last games he was credited on were DMC4SE and Resident Evil HD in 2015. He's been a producer on all the CG and anime stuff, and got some form of producer credits on all of the RE Films (including Welcome to Raccoon City).

I see we got to the Bargaining phase.
I think bargaining was on announce day. "Clearly this is just the MP for Dino Crisis, right? Just like RE:Sistance was for RE3R!".

Which... like folks, I dug resistance for the six months it was an actual thing, and love RE3R, but given how warm a reception the fandom as a whole gave those two, is that really the analogy you want to make?

I don't know if that inspires confidence considering those recent efforts. Maybe those CG RE movies are funny enough?
I don't think that means all that much in terms of how Exoprimal will come out. Kobayashi was the guy for Sengoku Basara all around, and when that series died, there really wasn't much of anything else for him to work on game-wise, which is why I made mention of this being his first big gaming project in a while.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that means all that much in terms of how Exoprimal will come out. Kobayashi was the guy for Sengoku Basara all around, and when that series died, there really wasn't much of anything else for him to work on game-wise, which is why I made mention of this being his first big gaming project in a while.
Not like bad anime directly translate to making games, I just thought that netflix dragon's dogma show was some rough shit. Don't think the plot of a Dino Crisis game got a high bar honestly, so long as it is fun times and plays well it's welcome.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Hm...

Reading the tweet, the twitter translation is:
A new title that Kobayashi was deeply involved in!
Resident Evil Dino Crisis Mysterious Detective Devil May Cry
PN03
Under the Skin Panic Maker Killer7
Sengoku BASARA
Dragon's Dogma Gaist Crusher Great Reversal Trial Megami Meguri Exo Primal

Given that others noted he appears to be the anime/movie guy for Capcom these days, could it be just that Capcom is going to try to hype the game with an anime series? It's not necessarily Exoprimal the Game he's working on, but Exoprimal the intellectual property?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth mentioning that Kobayashi hasn't been credited as producer on a Capcom game since Mega Man 11.

Here's how his production credits looked up until then:

www.mobygames.com

Hiroyuki Kobayashi - MobyGames

Hiroyuki Kobayashi is a video game producer from Japan. Kobayashi graduated from Chukyo University with a degree in Computer Science. He was hired by Capcom in 1995 where his first job was that of programmer on the first game in the Resident Evil...

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
All Jawmuncher jokes aside, I just think it's totally shitty that they gave up on Dino Crisis after one bad game from nearly twenty years ago and never looked back. I echo the sentiment that giving it the RE2-R treatment would be great.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I think bargaining was on announce day. "Clearly this is just the MP for Dino Crisis, right? Just like RE:Sistance was for RE3R!".

Which... like folks, I dug resistance for the six months it was an actual thing, and love RE3R, but given how warm a reception the fandom as a whole gave those two, is that really the analogy you want to make?
Haha right, I'm just readin the OP as "He's here so there must be some DNA in the final game itself!"

Honestly for me, the trailer looked sweet, I'm pretty hyped to play it myself, Dino Crisis links or none.

I have nothing to add other than you have the Best username/avatar combo ever.
Oh thank you! That's very sweet of you <3

Hm...

Reading the tweet, the twitter translation is:

Given that others noted he appears to be the anime/movie guy for Capcom these days, could it be just that Capcom is going to try to hype the game with an anime series? It's not necessarily Exoprimal the Game he's working on, but Exoprimal the intellectual property?
Kobayashi was a pretty well known name as far as being a producer from the PS2 era was concerned and certainly is a name every DC fans knows about, so I don't think it's really much more than having a familiar name to help people get on board with a title that, while it may not be exactly what people were hoping for in terms of "hey, here's us remembering Dino Crisis Actually," should at least give them hope that his participation does mean that there is still some goodness to look forward to and maybe (probably) some bigger bones get tossed at those fans as well beyond the obvious visual touchstones in the trailer.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
All Jawmuncher jokes aside, I just think it's totally shitty that they gave up on Dino Crisis after one bad game from nearly twenty years ago and then never looked back. I echo the sentiment that giving it the RE2-R treatment would be great.

Eh, the series was on a downward trend--DC2 sold half as much as DC1 did. Nobody at Capcom seemed interested in the series (hell, the fact Dino Crisis 3 dropped the plot and actual dinosaurs completely and went to SPACE says they didn't quite have a highly protective or consistent attitude towards it even when it was a thing). Like... I think in a hypothetical world where Dino Crisis 3 was not made as it was... we'd be lamenting that Dino Crisis died with DC2 instead.

"We ran out of ideas so we're shooting them into space" is the bullshit you do when your slasher movie franchise has completely failed but you still eke out enough to justify making it, and think that the best way to generate sales is the cinematic equivalent of a shitpost. And I say that as someone who digs Jason X. That Dino Crisis hit that wall by game three speaks volumes about how deeply, wholeheartedly Capcom stopped giving a fuck about the game (hell, the fact it was an Xbox game showed how little it cared, apparently Microsoft completely botched their initial meetings with Capcom and seriously burned a few bridges).

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if I should play Dino Crisis. I have a Dreamcast...

Oct 29, 2017
"We ran out of ideas so we're shooting them into space" is the bullshit you do when your slasher movie franchise has completely failed but you still eke out enough to justify making it, and think that the best way to generate sales is the cinematic equivalent of a shitpost.

Oh, so you mean like Jason X--

And I say that as someone who digs Jason X.

my-man-my-man-hd.gif

But yeah. If they thought there was money in a new game it would've happened by now. Dino Crisis is just one of many franchises that we'll likely never see new entries in from Capcom.