• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Finally watched the episode and it was everything I've ever wanted for HDM and more. I haven't been this happy about an adaptation in years

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished wathcing the first episode. Pretty impressed with the acting and the production values. I think they've found a good visual balance with the daemons.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
ERA that have watched this, appropriate for a 9 yo? (He's watched all the Harry Potter movies - as well as the new ones, all marvel, all Star Wars (incl rogue one).

I know this is a spoiler thread, so please tag me with a response. :)

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
ERA that have watched this, appropriate for a 9 yo? (He's watched all the Harry Potter movies - as well as the new ones, all marvel, all Star Wars (incl rogue one).

Suitable, probably. Suited? I don't know.
What I noticed when reading this series for the first time last year was it's not really any kind of children's series, and I don't mean content wise but tone. It's very serious and quite dour, there's no whimsy or adventurous feel (which was the mistake the 2007 movie made).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That 3 minute trailer for "next time on His Dark Materials" was weird as fuck. Did the trailer guy not get the memo that it was only for the next episode and not the whole series?

Yeah, that was a bit weird, I turned it off, went on and on and on.

The first episode was okay, bit dense on new things, wasn't enthralled but enough to make me watch the next. Totally want a pet soul.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

Given the movies he's watched, I would say it's okay for him to watch it. Some of the major themes of the show will likely go over his head, but he should still enjoy it

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

The first book i think is fairly ok, however...

If they do adapt the latter books
there is one particular conversation between one of the main characters and a representative of the church that i honestly think is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for a child to read, even if they don't understand it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Suitable, probably. Suited? I don't know.
What I noticed when reading this series for the first time last year was it's not really any kind of children's series, and I don't mean content wise but tone. It's very serious and quite dour, there's no whimsy or adventurous feel (which was the mistake the 2007 movie made).
Nothing in the first episode is out of step with the films you listed. Future episodes? idk
Given the movies he's watched, I would say it's okay for him to watch it. Some of the major themes of the show will likely go over his head, but he should still enjoy it
The first book i think is fairly ok, however...

If they do adapt the latter books
there is one particular conversation between one of the main characters and a representative of the church that i honestly think is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for a child to read, even if they don't understand it.

Thanks everyone, I'll have to think on this one!

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I've never read the books but have heard good things about them and never watched the Golden Compass because it was reveiled and there were no follow on movies so I signed on for this series. A few observations:

• It was shot kind of weird in that it was hard to tell at first that the animals were talking to people. Could just be me.
  • It moved fast, seemed like Lyra was a little too anxious to leave Oxford but it was explained ok.
  • Lots to unpack since we were only shown the Gyptians and Oxford, dunno if there is society that exists outside of those two.
  • Gorgeous cinematography and lighting, wish I could get it in 4k HDR.
Everything else I have questions on is stuff that I know will get answered in the narrative. I'm cautiously optimistic about the series.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I think it started out fine, I'm optimistic about the future of the show.

I think I'm going to reread the books, it was around 15 years ago, I forgot some stuff. Are new books any good?

Btw, opening, future spoilers:

Is that the certain knife at 0:27 - 0:32 I'm seeing? :) Followed by the spyglass.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I think it started out fine, I'm optimistic about the future of the show.

I think I'm going to reread the books, it was around 15 years ago, I forgot some stuff. Are new books any good?

Btw, opening, future spoilers:

Is that the certain knife at 0:27 - 0:32 I'm seeing? :) Followed by the spyglass.

It might be subtle, but I think so!

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I've been seeing ads for it all over the city but read the entire trilogy in high school over 10 years ago. Man the books go places!
I remember it got real dark/depressing in the last two books. Scoresby haunted by nightmares only to go out in a blaze of glory, Will killing Magistereum soldiers, Iorek eating the heart of his rival, a daemon that gets decapitated by a cliffghast, Asrael and Coulter falling down a mountain with Metatron in order to protect Lyra. Then there's the mulefas who's imagery was quite vibrant, Will and Lyra's romance, the creepiness of the golden monkey, Jopari's tragic death, and the silver guillotine. I think the third book went off a cliff with the multiverses and religious stuff that I was too young to understand.

I'm surprised to see Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby. I always imagined him as a Texan with a hat and curly moustache. But the daemons all look like their book counterparts. I don't have HBO nor BBC but I'd definitely love to catch it at some point seeing as I've also heard great things about Watchmen.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Huh...

Loved the books when I was younger and loving the adaptation so far...

Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but...
...did we get "our Oxford" and Lord Boreal story points in the first book? Or are they mixing in stuff from the second book into this? I can't say I remember.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Huh...

Loved the books when I was younger and loving the adaptation so far...

Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but...
...did we get "our Oxford" and Lord Boreal story points in the first book? Or are they mixing in stuff from the second book into this? I can't say I remember.

I think it's the second one - my wife is pretty sure and she has just reread them!

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was amazing!

And yeah, they're introducing some stuff from the second book early. Makes sense as:

Otherwise Lord Boreal appears briefly in the first series, fucks off for three quarters of it, and then suddenly reappears as a key character. Plus it allows you to introduce the windows early as you say.

Really enjoyed that, shaping up to be an amazing adaptation.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
This is a genuinely good adaptation of the story as a whole so far rather than just beat for beat the first book. I'm rereading it now and it makes so much sense because of how much Pullman's novel presents these events from Lyra's skewed perspective. Obviously on TV you can't quite do that so showing other things and the world earlier on makes for a more compelling adaptation.

I was blown away by this episode - Ruth Wilson was spectacular and I think I actually like the way they did
the Asriel reveal
better than the book.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I really enjoyed it again. Ruth Wilson was excellent, especially when you can tell Coulter is simmering underneath but desperately trying to hide it. I was surprised they introduced hopping between worlds so early in the series. People had been hinting at that since the first episode and the title sequence so I was expecting it to come into play later. I think they've found a good balance between Lyra's story and what else is going on in the world.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge fan of the books I'm so happy with the way this is turning out. General Oblation Board and Consistorial Court of Discipline mentions, the Pan and monkey daemon fight and Ruth Wilson continues being perfect as Mrs.Coulter. Really cool to see some of the book 2 material here too. Good stuff.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Just like to echo other people and say that I am really enjoying this. Ruth Wilson and Lyra's actor were exceptional in today's episode.

I read the books about 15 years ago so I can't really remember too much (
except when roger came on screen I was like oh no
) but I'm loving the story telling in this, it doesn't feel the Need to get bogged down in exposition (which it could easily do) but takes it time to reveal The world and what it is going on, but answering questions in the process. I can see it being frustrating for some people not knowing what is going on but it's all there. Just got to pay attention! I have faith that larger questions will be answered.
When Lyra found the plans in the draw it was a genuinely startling moment.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that was amazing!

And yeah, they're introducing some stuff from the second book early. Makes sense as:

Otherwise Lord Boreal appears briefly in the first series, fucks off for three quarters of it, and then suddenly reappears as a key character. Plus it allows you to introduce the windows early as you say.

Really enjoyed that, shaping up to be an amazing adaptation.

My two reservations are (MORE BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD):

Does it not make all of Asriel's effort to bust through to the city in the sky seem kind of... stupid? Like, mate, stop killing kids with arcane scientific equipment, there's a window in Oxford you can just step through. Not that he would know, of course.

I was also looking forward to the audience at large getting the "Wait, what? Where are all the demons? Where are we?" whiplash that I got at the start of the Subtle Knife. This feels a bit like the mystery's been resolved before it's even been established.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
My two reservations are (MORE BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD):

Does it not make all of Asriel's effort to bust through to the city in the sky seem kind of... stupid? Like, mate, stop killing kids with arcane scientific equipment, there's a window in Oxford you can just step through. Not that he would know, of course.

I was also looking forward to the audience at large getting the "Wait, what? Where are all the demons? Where are we?" whiplash that I got at the start of the Subtle Knife. This feels a bit like the mystery's been resolved before it's even been established.

The second is a fair point. On the first:

I mean, that issue exists in the books, you just don't realise because it's not brought up. After all, Boreal had already been hopping across for years in the books, it's just never mentioned.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
The second is a fair point. On the first:

I mean, that issue exists in the books, you just don't realise because it's not brought up. After all, Boreal had already been hopping across for years in the books, it's just never mentioned.

Mm, yeah.
I guess it just introduces an element of dramatic irony earlier than it did before so... your mileage may vary.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Really liked this first episode. Is the book worth reading for a guy in his late twenties?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Watched episode 2 last night, have gone into this completely blind knowing nothing about the books or anything and so far I'm glued, roll on next week.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm struggling with it to be honest. Production values and acting are great but the dialogue is so dry, stilted and expository. Also I can't help but laugh every time someone says "The Gobblers" with a straight face.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Mrs. Coulter actress was an awesome choice. She may not be as beautiful as she should be, but she can act charming and is actually as abhorrent as she was in the books.

I'm surprised to see Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby. I always imagined him as a Texan with a hat and curly moustache. But the daemons all look like their book counterparts. I don't have HBO nor BBC but I'd definitely love to catch it at some point seeing as I've also heard great things about Watchmen.

Yeah, he is kinda off. They cast Sam Elliott in the film and he is literally the same as I imagined him in the books.

Really liked this first episode. Is the book worth reading for a guy in his late twenties?

They are aimed at a younger audience, but it should be fine. They also go places at about half point, quite beyond kid stuff, lol.

Last edited:

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I'm almost done with the second episode and I'm enjoying the show just about as much as I enjoyed the movie.... not very much. I'll stick with it though. Hopefully it gets better.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the soundtrack for this. I doubt it'll get the recognition that something like GoT got, but it's really solid. It struck me in the first episode so I was listening to it yesterday for a bit (ironically I was listening to it while reading ASOIAF)

I can't remember - does this show release on HBO Now at the same time as cable airing?

Yes.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Okay, so each season is a book? Reading book one now as my wife (a school librarian) loves the series.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so each season is a book? Reading book one now as my wife (a school librarian) loves the series.
Broadly, yes. Although there are certain elements from Book 2 as well as Book 4 (which was mostly a prequel) already incorporated into the show. So... if you're watching before reading it is going to spoil certain things that aren't revealed until later.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Broadly, yes. Although there are certain elements from Book 2 as well as Book 4 (which was mostly a prequel) already incorporated into the show. So... if you're watching before reading it is going to spoil certain things that aren't revealed until later.

Thanks, I'm not overly sensitive to spoilers, she's not going to wait for me to finish the series before watching...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Very surprised they revealed the
window to modern Earth so early.
They're playing Boreal's plot on-screen rather than as a reveal in the second book. I can see why but it's a little jarring to widen the world so much.

As some trivia, the actor playing Father MacPhail is Will Keen, Dafne Keen's dad.

Last edited:

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
This is shaping up to be really good with how they're handling it, I think :) It's nice to get some surprises. Loved the Daemons in the 2nd episode, especially Pan.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really love Marissa Coulter, the actress is doing an amazing job, also some of the scenery is just beautiful, but the rest is kinda meh. I will give it 2-3 more episodes, and see if i will like it more.

ps:
i still really hate Lyra... no idea why, but i just can't stand the actress.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This show/book is pretty weird huh.

And where do the animals do their business? Or do they not have bodily functions? :P

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
Just caught up with episode 2. On its own terms, it was very good. Giving so much time and emphasis to Ruth Wilson definitely paying off.

Can't help but be a little sad at the early reveal of the window though. I love the way the multiple worlds are revealed in the books, and now that effect will be lost. It's not bad or anything, just a bit of a shame for me personally.

Also:
Given how willing they've been to chop and change things around already, I can't help but feel their solution to the problem of doing the Mulefa world on a TV budget will be to just not really do it. Alas, they are working with big money constraints so I can't fault them if that turns out to be the case, but I do so love that sub-plot.