• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I might have missed it, but i didn't really get a good sense of how the kidnapped kids went from being upset/traumatized to accepting their new situation and being all casual about their upcoming trip.

Otherwise i'm pretty into it, it's very intriguing so far.

Edit:

Also, can all daemons change from one animal to another, or is it just Lyra's? Is it somehow based on her emotions at the time, or what's the reasoning behind it?

they're kids.Give them food, shelter, and a good enough story and they'll believe anything. Hell, you can say there's an invisible man watching and they'll believe that until the day they die!

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
All daemons belonging to kids can change their forms, and don't get locked in until they hit a certain age.

The Gyptian ceremony in the first episode was to celebrate a kid becoming old enough for his daemon to get locked into one set form.

Oh, that's a really neat touch. I should rewatch the first episode. It was late at night when i first watched it and my concentration was lacking. Thanks for the explanation!

they're kids.Give them food, shelter, and a good enough story and they'll believe anything. Hell, you can say there's an invisible man watching and they'll believe that until the day they die!

Sure, i just would have liked to have seen/heard the story they were fed to placate them.

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
In related news for those in UK:

Bridge Theatre is doing an adaptation of La Belle Savage next year. https://bridgetheatre.co.uk/whats-on/la-belle-sauvage/
The-Book-of-Dust-La-Belle-Sauvage-poster.jpg

The Bridge does some really great productions. I think the original trilogy was adapted for stage back in 2003 or 2004.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all! Question on book spoilers: I am on book 3 of the series, about 25% into it. Should I start watching this, or wait till I finish reading the whole series? Is the first season relegated to Book 1?

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all! Question on book spoilers: I am on book 3 of the series, about 25% into it. Should I start watching this, or wait till I finish reading the whole series? Is the first season relegated to Book 1?

You can start watching, this series is Book 1 (along with a couple of elements from book 2).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I figured as much from the first episode, but I'm so glad that Ruth Wilson is playing a villain in this, her performance has been really great so far, very disturbing. Wonder what allows her to separate from her daemon.

I'm a little more mixed on Lyra though. Sometimes I like her, other times it feels a bit grating.

Digging the show so far.

but I'm not actually a big fan of Ruth Wilson as Coulter as I don't think she's seductive enough for it

I haven't read the books, but as someone that has seen her play Alice Morgan in Luther, I find this very hard to believe.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
C/S on the journalist bit at the end. Seemed like a clunky way for Lyra to find out the truth. I believe it was Georgina Campbell, if I were her and knew the danger I was in, I'm not stepping into the car or being obvious about speaking to Lyra.

More Ruth Wilson is always great, although she didn't put up the best poker face for Lyra, lol. Curious what she is doing with the kids in the North.

Parent info was meh for me, considering we barely know the character and he just shifts for me from an asshole uncle to an asshole father.

The multiple worlds reveal was interesting.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Curious what she is doing with the kids in the North.

I'm assuming she's using them to harvest/mine dust, since it doesn't affect kids.

Parent info was meh for me, considering we barely know the character and he just shifts for me from an asshole uncle to an asshole father.

Yeah, that reveal fell kind of flat given that it's only episode 2 and we only saw him briefly in episode 1.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
So, I'm loving this so far. Only seen the movie when it came out years ago. This is tempting me to get the audiobooks 😄.

Question so when coulter's demon gets caught being in the study by Lyra and coulter popped him, was that like coulter hitting herself as well(did she feel that same pain)? 🤔

How is coulter able to have her demon so far away? Also I'm assuming a person hears what their demon hears? I liked the reveal of the monkey using the air ducts to spy. I'm assuming that's how it seemed like coulter could hear Lyra when she would discuss things in her room. 🤔

I saw someone mention Ruth wasn't seductive enough to be coulter. Is the seductiveness of the character that important in the book?

I see what ppl mean about the editing

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Non book reader here and I'm loving it so far. Lyra and Coulter are such amazing castings and they're really putting the show on their shoulders right now.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm loving this so far. Only seen the movie when it came out years ago. This is tempting me to get the audiobooks 😄.

Question so when coulter's demon gets caught being in the study by Lyra and coulter popped him, was that like coulter hitting herself as well(did she feel that same pain)? 🤔

How is coulter able to have her demon so far away? Also I'm assuming a person hears what their demon hears? I liked the reveal of the monkey using the air ducts to spy. I'm assuming that's how it seemed like coulter could hear Lyra when she would discuss things in her room. 🤔

I saw someone mention Ruth wasn't seductive enough to be coulter. Is the seductiveness of the character that important in the book?

I see what ppl mean about the editing

Yes to Coulter basically smacking herself when she bopped the monkey. I guess she just has major pain intolerance. I was expecting her to make a noise or flinch lol.

We'll see about the daemon being far away...

The daemons and people don't share minds/senses, so the monkey, if he's leaving her far away enough, would have to report back to her. But normally daemons literally can't get far enough away from their people to make it an issue so... 🤔

Re book seductiveness. I don't know if it's necessarily seductiveness, but she is able to pull ANYONE in, whether as a partner, friend, as a parental figure, etc. It's just that she is very good at manipulating everyone to get what she wants, whatever role she needs to take to get it. I think Ruth Wilson is doing a great job.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Okay so I've read the books a few times through, but it has been awhile. I'm kind of confused if this happened or not

When Lyra finds all those documents she basically gets some MONSTER foreshadowing of what will happen near the end of book one, with the demons and children. I honestly don't remember that at all, because the reveal of what the gobblers are doing really hit me as this vile thing i would have never seen coming. Uh, what the hell did Lyra find? What actually drives her do leave? I don't remember the journalist either, to be honest.

It was a solid ep though some of the deviations from the source material--you know the ones--kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Like I guess I GET it, but I don't like it :P

Some of the cuts seemed a little jarring too.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I've read the books a few times through, but it has been awhile. I'm kind of confused if this happened or not

When Lyra finds all those documents she basically gets some MONSTER foreshadowing of what will happen near the end of book one, with the demons and children. I honestly don't remember that at all, because the reveal of what the gobblers are doing really hit me as this vile thing i would have never seen coming. Uh, what the hell did Lyra find? What actually drives her do leave? I don't remember the journalist either, to be honest.

It was a solid ep though some of the deviations from the source material--you know the ones--kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Like I guess I GET it, but I don't like it :P

Some of the cuts seemed a little jarring too.

She finds similar documents in the books (but I think it's just stuff about the General Oblation Board and she puts it together = Gobblers?). But Lyra and Pan do sneak into Mrs. Coulter's room as far as I remember.

I thought the foreshadowing was well done so as not to say what exactly it is, but to hint at it enough.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
She finds similar documents in the books (but I think it's just stuff about the General Oblation Board and she puts it together = Gobblers?). But Lyra and Pan do sneak into Mrs. Coulter's room as far as I remember.

I thought the foreshadowing was well done so as not to say what exactly it is, but to hint at it enough.
Maybe I think

Finding Billie away from Ratter (?) was a better use of foreshadowing, because by then you know all the deamon rules and that breaks the big ones all around. It's exceptionally creepy. In this, Lyra even remarks on the images enough to really draw attention to them. It feels like it played some of its best cards too early

Honestly my biggest problem is I cannot enjoy the show because I'm matching it up to the books CONSTANTLY. Which is why I largely don't enjoy adaptations. Except I guess Harry Potter, but I bet that would drive me bugshit now too

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I think

Finding Billie away from Ratter (?) was a better use of foreshadowing, because by then you know all the deamon rules and that breaks the big ones all around. It's exceptionally creepy. In this, Lyra even remarks on the images enough to really draw attention to them. It feels like it played some of its best cards too early

Honestly my biggest problem is I cannot enjoy the show because I'm matching it up to the books CONSTANTLY. Which is why I largely don't enjoy adaptations. Except I guess Harry Potter, but I bet that would drive me bugshit now too

Yeah, that's fair.

I think this small tease (the separation of the cages) but not drawing too much attention to it, is okay in a tv show. We'll have two episodes to forget about it (I think 5 sounds like the Billy/Ratter episode) so it'll be brought back in a big way in 3 weeks, and then totally spell it out the week after.

I think it'll work :D

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. I was talking to my bro and I don't think he picked up on much of it. He's new to the series.

Yeah.

Since we've been hinting something is coming, I don't want to outright say something is coming lol. But I think it's easy for book readers to see, and for show watchers to miss. It'll become clearer in the next two episodes. Episode 5: "The Lost Boy", episode 6: "The Daemon-Cages".

Oct 27, 2017
I've read one of the books years ago (I think! Can't really remember), but essentially I'm not familiar with any of this - really enjoyed the episodes I've seen so far.

The animal CGI seems really good too. Must be a bit of a shitter if your Daemon fixes it's final form as something rubbish like a moth or butterfly. As that journalist found out.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I don't remember much of The Golden Compass except that I was surprised it never got a sequel. 1st episode was good. Nice cast, strong SFX and zipped along at a quicker pace than I expected.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Very surprised to find myself not liking the first episode which I was really hyped for. Found it really clunky and 'actory'. Should have been a slower intro establishing Lyra's world counterpointing the boredom of her everyday routine with excitement of occasional rooftop escapades while longing to be free of Oxford before Asriel burns onto the scene and kicks things off. Everything should revolve around her perception of the world and situation even if not made explicitly clear to the viewer at the time.

Instead we get clumsy exposition and a lot of pointless random location scenes like Asriel in the North and the Magesterium HQ just thrown out there spoiling elements that could have been discovered naturally as part of Lyra's journey.

Also Coulter's entrance was a big nothing and Ruth Wilson is bizarrely lacking that fascinating presence.

Should have been handled a lot better.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's so hard to read some of the questions from those unfamiliar with the story and hold back on spoiling it :p
The show is really well done. I'm really enjoying it. Love the cast. The world setting is perfect and I'm surprised at the rhythm at which the story is moving

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, but I'm wondering why Pan didn't just turn into a tiger when the monkey started attacking him. I guess he'd probably feel weird standing up to an adult, but it was weird him just taking it.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dumb question, but I'm wondering why Pan didn't just turn into a tiger when the monkey started attacking him. I guess he'd probably feel weird standing up to an adult, but it was weird him just taking it.

Not dumb. It's more that they daemons are reflective of the person. Size doesn't always mean more powerful and the confidence of a kid isn't there for a creature to represent that.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Non book reader.
Surprised they revealed the other world already. I thought it will be the big surprised as a season cliffhanger

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed episode 2. Ruth Wilson and Dafne Keen are both superbly cast. I did read the books about 15 years ago (and I didn't really like them) but I don't remember a lot other than big plot points and general themes. So far it's really good though; the world building is fascinating and I love the 1930s/airship setting. I'm also consistently awed by the daemon CGI in a way I don't recall being by a TV show.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was kinda laughing how quickly Ms. Coulter dropped appearances. Like you couldn't be nice for more than two days before you set the monkey loose?

Also it's kinda funny how many people have little bugs as daemons I imagine to have an easier time with the CGI, but it kinda also added with the creepiness like when the guy's flying beetle landed on his face. Also if must suck to have a butterfly as a daemon. Like really you had to settle on a butterfly? All it takes is a strong rogue breeze or hungry bird and your life is done.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
OT, but I only found out last night that the Golden Compass with Daniel Craig / Nicole Kidman, was also based on this!

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was kinda laughing how quickly Ms. Coulter dropped appearances. Like you couldn't be nice for more than two days before you set the monkey loose?

Also it's kinda funny how many people have little bugs as daemons I imagine to have an easier time with the CGI, but it kinda also added with the creepiness like when the guy's flying beetle landed on his face. Also if must suck to have a butterfly as a daemon. Like really you had to settle on a butterfly? All it takes is a strong rogue breeze or hungry bird and your life is done.

People don't always decide the creature, it's implied that it's a reflection of who they are.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that works for 1 kid, but keeping 30 kids+daemons ripped from their parents calm and docile in a confined room with no open windows for days/weeks with nothing to do is not believable

the room would smell like shit and people would be hatching escape plans and mutinies.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
2nd episode was stronger and better paced. It still seems to be burning through the plot quicker than similar shows, which is taking some getting used to. Sometimes the animal CGI is so good (especially when they interact with characters and objects) that they almost look like hand-crafted animatronic models enhanced by CGI. And they really captured the personality of that POS monkey.

Last edited:

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
I'm finding it kinda hard to get into this.
Something about the acting, directing, pacing feels...off. Can't really describe it.
Everything looks great, the cast seems really good, the story should be clicking with me. But something is just missing...an atmosphere or charm or something I dunno.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I'm finding it kinda hard to get into this.
Something about the acting, directing, pacing feels...off. Can't really describe it.
Everything looks great, the cast seems really good, the story should be clicking with me. But something is just missing...an atmosphere or charm or something I dunno.

You know, you're not the only one who feels this way, some critics say the same. Which is what puzzles me since I think it is one of the most "charming" shows in a long time. Hopefully what you're looking for becomes tangible later on.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Thought that episode was great! Very exited that they're finally heading north :D

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking the changes being made bringing story points forward with Boreal. I wonder how they will go with
Will Perry

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Still struggling with this. The dialogue feels so bland and mechanical like someone doing a report on the book. Great acting and production values though.

And Ruth Wilson is a goddamn sexy villain.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really not a fan of the Stanislaus Grumman reveal being done via Google in episode three, nor "It says here in her government records that she has severe mental health issues."

Book Two spoilers:

Will's entire motivation at the start of the Subtle Knife is keeping his mother's mental state obscured from the authorities. Somewhat undercut by "Yeah, Bing says she's crazy and shouldn't be allowed to look after kids."

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The person that plays Tony Costa is getting to be a problem. Not a very good actor and stands out like a sore thumb next to these talented performers.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm really struggling to care for this world, or rather, i don't understand why i should care about so many things in this world, cause the world doesn't give me any reason. But i don't care, as long as Ruth get's a lot of screentime, i will keep watching, she is just magnificent.