• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The alethiometer reading scene where it finally clicks was perfect. Perfect!
This. Loved everything about that moment, the visuals, the music, etc.

Really nice scene before that too where Lyra trusted him and they briefly talked about the device so we got some info about it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the books but I'm essentially already fully sold on weird alt history with physical animal manifestations of one's soul and divinatory sciences/tech and so far largely 'realistically' evokes the chosen one trope and instead features it as a much more complex drama. Like they're not really wasting any time with Lyra's parentage which is refreshing.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I haven't read the books but I'm essentially already fully sold on weird alt history with physical animal manifestations of one's soul and divinatory sciences/tech and so far largely 'realistically' evokes the chosen one trope and instead features it as a much more complex drama. Like they're not really wasting any time with Lyra's parentage which is refreshing.
It's not "alt-history", our history is still the same.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not "alt-history", our history is still the same.

K if you want to be hyper-literal, my intention was to indicate an aesthetic where the world is similar to ours but followed a markedly different development but neat I suppose that much was obvious from the smart phones and stuff.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
I liked this weeks episode, though like someone on the last page as a book reader I didn't really like how they brought up John Parry already... and via a reverse image search of all things, lol. Really though, I think that was a twist that could have waited and I'm not really sure why they even felt like they needed to put it in this episode.

Actually, thinking about it more I really wish they had just saved the whole 'multiple worlds' things for the season finale (or at the least the last two episodes of this season, anyway). Ah well.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
K if you want to be hyper-literal, my intention was to indicate an aesthetic where the world is similar to ours but followed a markedly different development but neat I suppose that much was obvious from the smart phones and stuff.
I'm not trying to be anal- the whole point of the books is to show what certain differences between our world and all the others, and explore those reasons (if you've been watching up to this point they specifically state what the main one is).

Unfortunately in the TV show they just glossed over some of the more interesting aspects of it with the beheaded explorer Stanislaus Grumman - hopefully they'll address that later if they ever get to the other books. It all sort of comes together in the next 2 books. Don't look it up- unless you've already read the books you're going to be spoiled.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Feels like they're rushing to fit all the world building and plot into 8 episodes and the reveals are coming too fast. Hopefully the writers hold back a few for later. Having said that as a non-book reader I think they did a good job with the Gyptians the last 2 weeks. I don't even remember them from the movie.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Feels like they're rushing to fit all the world building and plot into 8 episodes and the reveals are coming too fast. Hopefully the writers hold back a few for later. Having said that as a non-book reader I think they did a good job with the Gyptians the last 2 weeks. I don't even remember them from the movie.
At the least I hope the series gets more people to read the novels. When the novels are finished I'm going to reread all of them.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
In the second episode, the dialog between Lyra and the woman who's keeping her felt so weird. Like I felt they were both so robotic to each other.

Anyway, things escalated after that.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

Oh, they definitely are. The show is dropping parent reveals like it's nothing. You would think Lyra learning about who her parents really are would be a big moment, instead of clunky exposition dumps. I really wish the show did more to set up the characters and world to really get me invested, outside of the curiosity of what is going on.

There are apparently witches, but they haven't done a good job in explaining deamons really and how the connection with the humans work.

Ms. Coulter seems to work alongside the Magisterium, but is doing things behind their back. Same goes for snake guy, who she is cool with but apparently he is the one of the few who is jumping between worlds. Don't really know who he is looking for in regular Earth either.

The adults tip-toeing around Lyra is annoying and she's special because she can read the truth telling device I guess, but they haven't really done the world building to establish why it would be such a big deal.

I'm sure all these details are fleshed out in the books and it's only been a few episodes, but so far Ruth Wilson and her monkey continue to be the highlights for me. Along with the mystery of where things are headed.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Loving this so far. Read the books ages ago so I only vaguely remember things but it's definitely delivering imho.

Soundtrack is amazing too.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Good god Coulter acting like her monkey daemon during that fight with the Gyptian was so good and creepy and scary.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I think they've lingered a bit too long in London which is why things seem a little off. In the books the pacing is pretty breakneck once Lyra leaves Ms. Coulter's flat. No problem though they've set things up very well for the trip north where the real shit starts to happen, and I think they've done such a good job with everything they've revealed and portrayed so far it's hard to sit here and nitpick.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking the changes being made bringing story points forward with Boreal. I wonder how they will go with
Will Perry
I know this is a terrible idea that will pull attention away from Lyra's journey toward the end of the first book, but I think it would be really cool if...

...they move the opening part of Will's story to the end of season 1. Intercut Will finding the window to Cittàgazze with Lyra looking up at the northern lights. They both decide to go for it, moving into the light. The screen turns white, suggesting they're on a course to meet, and then... credits!

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to be anal- the whole point of the books is to show what certain differences between our world and all the others, and explore those reasons (if you've been watching up to this point they specifically state what the main one is).

Unfortunately in the TV show they just glossed over some of the more interesting aspects of it with the beheaded explorer Stanislaus Grumman - hopefully they'll address that later if they ever get to the other books. It all sort of comes together in the next 2 books. Don't look it up- unless you've already read the books you're going to be spoiled.

Sorry, I took you a bit harshly, tbh a part of it was from other threads/not your fault and at the time I just wanted to toss out a quick, casual, and naive endorsement. I'll keep a look out though, thanks.

Interesting to see that other-Earth has magitech beyond divinatory tools, and it's widely considered an abomination.

Divination is peak magitech though! I wish divination being treated more like a science didn't seem quite so novel because it's potentially really powerful especially in a narrative context for foreshadowing and stuff.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Sorry, I took you a bit harshly, tbh a part of it was from other threads/not your fault and at the time I just wanted to toss out a quick, casual, and naive endorsement. I'll keep a look out though, thanks.

Divination is peak magitech though! I wish divination being treated more like a science didn't seem quite so novel because it's potentially really powerful especially in a narrative context for foreshadowing and stuff.
Also ties in with Gumman, the motivations for crossing worlds, etc.

If people don't know much about main thematic principals of the novels, they are going to be shocked (like I was) if/when they ever get to the third book. I hope they do all 3 books, each as their own series.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I really enjoyed episode three, despite my continual gripes with some of the changes, mostly involving info from book 2.

But man. Great episode. Loved the big emotional moments, and Lyra reading the compass was superb.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the reaaon theres a lot of stuff moved up is because the lead kid actress was literally not available enough to fill out enough material on her own in an episode due to child labor laws.

Thats hilarious.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
So the reaaon theres a lot of stuff moved up is because the lead kid actress was literally not available enough to fill out enough material on her own in an episode due to child labor laws.

Thats hilarious.

That....actually kind of makes sense lol. There's pretty strict laws to govern child actors.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am liking the show, but it does feel a little off. It feels rushed and slow at the same time. Like I don't think I am much liking the way they're handling the Grumman stuff compared to the books. That feels rushed, but like the Lyra adventures also feel a little slow. For some reason, the world itself just doesn't seem that interesting right now. I'm thinking that'll change once they head north.

Also Coulter doing her monkey slaps made me laugh.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are some aspects of the show that feel clunky for sure, but Ruth Wilson continues to kill it, loving her in this

Thought it was weird though that they revealed she was Lyra's mom right after the episode where we learn that Asriel is the father. Like when we learn that's her dad, I thought, "Oh damn, she must be the mom then", because the way Coulter talked about him was as if he was a bad ex lol. But nothing came of it, so I thought that was that, only for this episode to confirm that she really is her mom. That was weirdly handled into

Good god Coulter acting like her monkey daemon during that fight with the Gyptian was so good and creepy and scary.

Highlight of the episode lmao, she was just straight up going ham on that dude

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rushing? The biggest criticism of the show is that it's moving at a snail's pace....lol.
In the books the Lyra/Mrs. C stuff with her living in her apartment is montaged and takes place over the course of weeks. It felt really weird as a non-book reader and I went and looked up the relevant material and it explained why it felt so weird being squashed into just a few days.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I fucking can't wait for next week. Non-book readers, my advice would be not to watch the "next on" for the rest of the show.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Ruth Wilson slapping the guy at the back 😆
She got that monkey in her.

How's the ratings on this? Because I really like this show

WolfForager

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Coulter seem so confused as to who Lyra is (she seems to be screaming the question at everyone)? Does she not know she's her mother?