• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the third episode, and I'm really enjoying this. Wilson and Keene are both brilliantly cast, and I really like that they've got a lot of diversity in there too, with many black actors in key roles and even the dude with the small arms (sorry if that seems insensitive but I don't know the proper medical term) whose disability was prominent but not focused on. It's also a gorgeous programme. Like, the colours and landscapes and cinematography are all beautiful. The scene where Lyra figured out the alethiometer was brilliant.

So yeah, I'm loving this so far. I also can't wait until they meet Iorek!

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
2nd episode was stronger and better paced. It still seems to be burning through the plot quicker than similar shows, which is taking some getting used to. Sometimes the animal CGI is so good (especially when they interact with characters and objects) that they almost look like hand-crafted animatronic models enhanced by CGI. And they really captured the personality of that POS monkey.
You were right: puppets enhanced by CGI

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
You were right: puppets enhanced by CGI

I wouldn't call that enhanced, the puppets are there for a detailed reference (rather than the golfball on a stick of yesteryear), they're very much all replaced.

Ruth Wilson slapping the guy at the back 😆
She got that monkey in her.

How's the ratings on this? Because I really like this show
Very good on BBC, not much on HBO. But it's a BBC show anyway.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 1 question.

Why does the Master arrange for Lyra to be adopted by Coulter if he knows she is up to no good?

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just can't seem to care for this show. The pacing is so incredibly off that all the reveals and twists just don't seem to matter that much. It feels like they're rushing through a seasons worth of content in 1-2 episodes.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Behind on this but just watched E2, can someone remind me about things from the novels, please, as it's been years since I read them.

Was there even any world hopping in the first novel? I was a bit surprised at the Magisterium guy just hopping a window in the second episode of the series.

Also, was that window really in some abandoned greenhouse in Oxford? Is that new or in the novel?

Finally, for some reason I was remembering that a person's daemon disappeared when someone from Lyra's works came to Earth (or a world where daemons aren't a thing) and became like a "normal" internalized soul? Am I wrong?

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Behind on this but just watched E2, can someone remind me about things from the novels, please, as it's been years since I read them.

Was there even any world hopping in the first novel? I was a bit surprised at the Magisterium guy just hopping a window in the second episode of the series.

Also, was that window really in some abandoned greenhouse in Oxford? Is that new or in the novel?

Finally, for some reason I was remembering that a person's daemon disappeared when someone from Lyra's works came to Earth (or a world where daemons aren't a thing) and became like a "normal" internalized soul? Am I wrong?

There was not, although it presumably was happening offscreen as Boreal had been living in "our" world for quite some time. The downside of showing it is that it diminishes both Asriel's act at the end of the first season/book and the opening of the 2nd one.

No mention of any greenhouse window, but I guess the location is not that important.

As for your last point, I think you're misremembering. Daemons stay visible once they are afaik, no matter the world.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely my favourite episode so far. They did a fantastic job with Iorek, the CG is awesome as is the voice. Really looking forward to seeing Serafina.
Cool to open Twitter tonight and see Iorek Byrnison trending too.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Iorek is masterful. A total triumph in visuals and voice.
Also love Iofur's gaudy, self-indulgent armour vs Iorek's purely functional plates.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Iorek in that episode, I think they've nailed him!
Just heard the voice, it's great.

Also, damn he looked fantastic both at distance and even in that really close up when he went right up next to Lyra.
Lyra tough talking a bear hehe.

Love having all this screentime with James Cosmo's character.

And now feels and comedy.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I get emotional with every episode just in response to how well it's being realised. These books meant a lot to me as a kid.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely the strongest episode thus far. Precocious, outspoken, willful Lyra on display. Amazingly realistic depiction of Iorek. A story that adhered much closer to the actual novel (minus side plots and Lee Scoresby).

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
"That seems fair" :D
We've got ourselves a bear!
LOL that guy's little whimper.

"And who's this?"
LMAO John

I love his sassy rabbit

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Lee Scorsby and Hester, my spirit characters 😭❤️ I've loved them since I was a wee one.

Edit: I LOVE HESTER SO MUCH SHE IS SO PERFECT.

Iorek ❤️❤️❤️

This is all hitting me right in the heart.

Actually really enjoying LMM as Lee, though his accent is going a little in and out right now haha. But I definitely think he's super charming as Lee (even though Lee has always been "old grey grizzled Texan").

Last edited:

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Loving the new characters of Iorek, Lee and Hester. The CGI for the bears is incredibly good. I thought they'd cheap out on the bears talking, but they didn't do that at all. This was my favorite episode of the series. So this episode confirmed Mrs. Coulter to be a witch right (since she can seperate from her deamon)? Speaking of Mrs. Coulter I just love how conniving and manipulative she is (and Ruth Wilson has been fantastic).

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best episode so far for me. Iorek is awesome and doesn't feel out of place at all, good work on the cgi team. Lee and Hester are great additions to this, they brighten up the mood and are fun to see, something that felt missing from this show. Lyra is really starting to get into groove, she was great this episode. I haven't read the books, and something about the plot of this show felt off to me, idk, but with more characters joining the fray and the focus narrowing to the north, I'm really starting to get into this.

And I just gotta say, this show looks gorgeous. Something about the way they do colors looks so much better than other tv shows.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Also. I will say. Just kind of reading through the thread a bit and the criticisms of the show not really caring about the twists of Lyra's parents is very true to the book haha.

Lord Faa and Farder Coram tell Lyra almost immediately when she ends up with the Gyptians by telling the story Ma Costa told in the show. Lyra is like "huh. Okay" and everyone moves on lol. There's a short paragraph dedicated to "Lyra had to reorient her own story" and the paragraph after is like "But Lyra was a child so she didn't give a fuck. There was a cool town to explore" lol.

The one thing they're missing right now with the reveal is that
since Lyra is a storyteller, she starts asking to hear the story over and over and then starts making up more implausible things about Asriel and Coulter together haha.

Not really a spoiler but I'll put it in spoilers because it may lead to some funny scenes later in the show lol.

But Phillip Pullman is generally very understated and doesn't linger on twists. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Iorek is amazing. They really nailed the performance and by god, this is some of the best CGI I've seen in years.

And I'm just in love with Ruth Wilson's performance too. She's absolutely pitch-perfect as a conniving and manipulative villain who is intimidated by no-one. It's one of my favourite castings in film or TV ever at this point. She's just deliciously wicked.

Oct 26, 2017
It has been some time since I've read the books, can someone refresh my memory on the "rules" around human-daemon communication?

I'm aware that someone's daemon will tend not to speak to another human (though can and will do on occasion), but what about overhearing conversations between a human and their daemon?

In the last episode, Lyra overhears Lee's daemon when she enters the bar, but nobody else round there seemed to hear it saying that they stole from everyone?

I'm a bit confused, or should I just take that as artistic liberty?

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much is puppetry and how much is CGI, but the movement of the animals is fantastic. Serafina's daemon, Iofur, Hester all have perfect physicality and mannerisms of real-world birds, bears and hares, while also being convincing sentient beings. It would heave been so easy to get it wrong.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Goddamn, they did my boy Iorek right. This is absolutely going from strength to strength. Is there any info on ratings/general success?

EDIT: Also, curious why they changed Kaisa from a goose to a hawk?

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
So I didn't comment on episode 3 mostly because it didn't give me any strong feelings either way. Episode 4 on the other hand was great, I loved it, best ep so far. Focusing the early scenes on Lee was a great choice, the show was crying out for his personality amongst all the dour seriousness. I hadn't appreciated just how lacking in life the show might be without Lyra's internal monologue which does a lot of heavy lifting in the early parts of the book. Now there's an ensemble with fun dynamics to work with.

Iorek was awesome. Hester is delightful. And the writing and directing felt like they had finally gotten to the parts that they actually wanted to make. In fact, after the first 3 eps crammed and rushed a lot of content that is kind of montaged in the book, I can now see a clear structure for the rest of the episodes.

It has been some time since I've read the books, can someone refresh my memory on the "rules" around human-daemon communication?

I'm aware that someone's daemon will tend not to speak to another human (though can and will do on occasion), but what about overhearing conversations between a human and their daemon?

In the last episode, Lyra overhears Lee's daemon when she enters the bar, but nobody else round there seemed to hear it saying that they stole from everyone?

I'm a bit confused, or should I just take that as artistic liberty?
I took it as artistic liberty combined with people deliberately ignoring him like the previous time.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, they did my boy Iorek right. This is absolutely going from strength to strength. Is there any info on ratings/general success?
It's doing really well in the UK, 9.7m viewers for episode 1 then over 7m for 2-4. The only shows with higher ratings are the latest big-budget David Attenborough nature documentary, and the two big celebrity reality shows.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
A very different take on Lee than Sam Elliott's wise old cowboy, this one has more Han Solo (and a little Starlord), but it works for this particular version of the books. Having Iorek and Lee in to complete Lyra's party for the journey is an obvious narrative boost, the show feels like it has a lot more momentum at the end of this episode.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much is puppetry and how much is CGI, but the movement of the animals is fantastic. Serafina's daemon, Iofur, Hester all have perfect physicality and mannerisms of real-world birds, bears and hares, while also being convincing sentient beings. It would heave been so easy to get it wrong.

It's all CGI which honestly makes it even more impressive. They have puppets, but they only use those for rehearsals.