• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Time until Trump escalates/signal boosts this in some stupid way and someone besides this idiot gets hurt or threatened with death?

Oct 27, 2017
People ITT wishing death for this man or hinting that it's fitting that he should die... Y'all fucking suck. You concede all moral high ground the moment you surrender your empathy and willingness to look at someone else as a human being worthy of dignity and life. You think you're above Trump and his supporters, but you're not if you're willing to dismiss someone's very life because they think differently than you do.
This seems personal.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Since it apparently needs to be spelled out, demanding cardboard cutouts of anyone, let alone a shithead like Trump, in a place like a hospital is not fucking normal. Hospitals aren't your home for you to decorate with shit like this. To demand such a thing is weird and points to the cult-behavior surrounding this shitbag of a fake president.

People bringing stuff from him to festoon their hospital room with is not abnormal. If one of my patients had something like this, nobody would say a word, we'd just make fun of the person behind their back.

This is not a hospital, it's a dialysis center. I'm not sure if it's standard or not to allow a visitor, but this one does not. I'm pretty sure the issue here is this guy just literally wants to bring something the size of a visitor, they had no issue with letting him bring smaller likenesses of the shithead.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People ITT wishing death for this man or hinting that it's fitting that he should die... Y'all fucking suck. You concede all moral high ground the moment you surrender your empathy and willingness to look at someone else as a human being worthy of dignity and life. You think you're above Trump and his supporters, but you're not if you're willing to dismiss someone's very life because they think differently than you do.
Not everyone is worthy of dignity or empathy, and he is surrendering his own life for some demented animal instinct. Not gonna wish death on him but spare me your moral grandstanding.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
This seems personal.
You should see the way my extended family twists my words and projects hatred onto me for *not* supporting Trump or condoning his supporters. It is personal, but not in the way you're implying, dude.
Not everyone is worthy of dignity or empathy, and he is surrendering his own life for some demented animal instinct. Not gonna wish death on him but spare me your moral grandstanding.
Calling out tribalist bullshit and demanding recognition of shared human dignity is moral grandstanding now. Got it.

Is this a fetish for you at this point?

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
may be he just wants media spotlight. I can't believe someone is this dumb

The man has the tools needed for survival presented right before him. Absolutely nothing is stopping him other than his cult-level obsession for a single person. Spare me this "so much for the tolerant left" bullshit. The are plenty of people out there who need or want help but can't because the system doesn't support them.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bullshit. That guy alone made the decision to avoid treatment over his insane Trump cultist obsession.

He can go get treatment at any time if he stops his clear political provocations.

I'm glad the hospital stopped his shenanigans. This is not some random, public "anything goes"-place.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Resetera isn't immune from people willing to stan for a cardboard cut-out of Donald Trump.

Laws of the Internet:

1) There's a Simpson's gif for everything
2) There's a defense force for everything

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why is the only attack the right has is to try and point out that the left isn't tolerant enough? Hrmmmmm?
Yeah. So sick of moral high ground and tone policing arguments. As long as the left keeps having to be better things will keep getting worse. Everyone so concerned with following rules and morality when the right isn't even playing the same game never mind not caring about the rules or morality.

I will keep saying this until something changes, if you want to defeat the pig your going to have get in the mud. There is literally no way to wrest power out of these people's hands without getting dirty.

Do people really not get that defeating Facism last time was not won with debate, decorum and following morality, no it took a war.

The reason they bitch about the "tolerant left" and want rabble rousing leftists like me to shut up is that they are very aware that it is the tolerance and "moral high ground" behavior that allows their disease to fester in the first place.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Calling out tribalist bullshit and demanding recognition of shared human dignity is moral grandstanding now. Got it.
Not every tribe is bad. nazis and nazi enablers are bad. People who fight or don't give a fuck about nazis or nazi enablers are good. You think this clown cares about the "human dignity" of minorities, or even people on the left he's so desperate to trigger? He doesn't even have human dignity for himself.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This clown would be called out on his stupidity if he was parading around a cardboard cutout of a Democrat

He's being disruptive and killing himself out of petty spite.

Stop acting self righteous for a guy who clearly doesn't deserve such indignation from you.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory False Equivalence and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts
Not every tribe is bad. nazis and nazi enablers are bad. People who fight or don't give a fuck about nazis or nazi enablers are good. You think this clown cares about the "human dignity" of minorities, or even people on the left he's so desperate to trigger? He doesn't even have human dignity for himself.
I don't know him or his story, and neither do you. It's funny that you bring up nazis, because as we know, a major aim of their self-targeted propaganda was to dehumanize the Jews so that they could rationalize their expulsion or death with no moral conflict and minimal cognitive dissonance. I see the same thing happening today on both ends of the political spectrum.

Comparing people ITT to Nazis is NOT what I'm doing with this observation (nor do I even privately think that's at all merited) so don't take that out of context. I'm nonetheless struck by a pang of irony due to people in this thread breezily dismissing a human life because of assumptions they've made about him as an "other," and the categories they've assigned to him based on an article (or, more likely, just the information in the OP).

I know how insufferable I sound, and if this thread was just filled with people calling this dude an idiot and making fun of his shoes that'd be one thing. It's the wishful thinking that his end should come and that we'd be better for it that rubs me the wrong way.

This clown would be called out on his stupidity if he was parading around a cardboard cutout of a Democrat

He's being disruptive and killing himself out of petty spite.

Stop acting self righteous for a guy who clearly doesn't deserve such indignation from you.
I have zero issues with people calling out his idiocy and mocking him for it. That's not what I'm talking about here. If you feel like I'm being self righteous you need to take a step back and ask yourself why. I'm just having a hard conversation.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't know him or his story, and neither do you. It's funny that you bring up nazis, because as we know, a major aim of their self-targeted propaganda was to dehumanize the Jews so that they could rationalize their expulsion or death with no moral conflict and minimal cognitive dissonance. I see the same thing happening today on both ends of the political spectrum.
This is one of the most extreme example of "both sides" I've seen in a while, comparing nazi tactics to the left.

I know enough of his story to be comfortable with my opinion. He's a Trump supporter, that's all I personally need to know, I feel a proper determination of his character can be made through both that and him wanting to carry around a cardboard cutout of Trump. Yes, I'm sure he has a family who he is very nice to and that loves him, I'm sure he's experienced some level of adversity in his life as we all have, I don't really care (do u?), throw your hat in with fascism and you're a net negative to society and the world we want.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
giphy.gif

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The man obviously has some mental issues/disorder. He should get treatment for that. His family should encourage him to either livestream or just look at a picture of his object of obsession while he's getting dialysis.

I'm trying to take the cardboard cutout of Trump out of the equation and just make it about a guy who is attempting to bring an inappropriate inanimate object into his treatment sessions. Since he'll die without treatment it makes sense to try and convince him that looking at a picture of said object is ok for dialysis and he can go cuddle with it when he gets home.

He's not well. The fact that his unwellness has manifested in such a politically vulgar fashion is besides the point. But I will say...if his and his family's stubbornness leads to his demise that's on them. Not the facility.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I was at a dialysis center while I was visiting my grandpa. People got mad because we pulled strings to have ONE person be with him at a time due to him having anxiety. That's the kind of mindset being hooked up to these machines for four hours puts you in. You get mad other people have a good thing not because you're a bad person but because it's that dismal. I can't imagine how mad I'd get if I had to stare at a cardboard cutout of Donald Trump the whole four hours. I also can't imagine how gone you'd have to be to demand a cutout in the first place, so I'm sure most outsiders assume bad faith.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I was at a dialysis center while I was visiting my grandpa. People got mad because we pulled strings to have ONE person be with him at a time due to him having anxiety. That's the kind of mindset being hooked up to these machines for four hours puts you in. You get mad other people have a good thing not because you're a bad person but because it's that dismal. I can't imagine how mad I'd get if I had to stare at a cardboard cutout of Donald Trump the whole four hours. I also can't imagine how gone you'd have to be to demand a cutout in the first place, so I'm sure most outsiders assume bad faith.
He has Trump shoes too. He's making deliberate choices, not random bouts of senility

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
This is one of the most extreme example of "both sides" I've seen in a while, comparing nazi tactics to the left.

I know enough of his story to be comfortable with my opinion. He's a Trump supporter, that's all I personally need to know, I feel a proper determination of his character can be made through both that and him wanting to carry around a cardboard cutout of Trump. Yes, I'm sure he has a family who he is very nice to and that loves him, I'm sure he's experienced some level of adversity in his life as we all have, I don't really care (do u?), throw your hat in with fascism and you're a net negative to society and the world we want.
Just as you submit that not all tribes are bad, sometimes "both sides" observations are merited. Again, I am in no way condoning Trump supporters or their actions. Nor am I comparing people who oppose Trump to Nazis. I stated in my post and will reiterate that that's not the point.

I'm simply pointing out the dangers of looking at others, and at groups, as less than. It's a slippery slope that's led to violence and mass murder even within our own lifetime. David Livingstone Smith wrote a great book about this called Less Than Human. If some of you are interested, it may be interesting to form a little book club to read back through that and discuss how it applies to our politics today. It was written just a few years before the 2016 election, I believe.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
If you value a cardboard cut out of Donald Trump more than your own life then mental health questions need to be raised.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Just as you submit that not all tribes are bad, sometimes "both sides" observations are merited. Again, I am in no way condoning Trump supporters or their actions. Nor am I comparing people who oppose Trump to Nazis. I stated in my post and will reiterate that that's not the point.

I'm simply pointing out the dangers of looking at others, and at groups, as less than. It's a slippery slope that's led to violence and mass murder even within our own lifetime. David Livingstone Smith wrote a great book about this called Less Than Human. If some of you are interested, it may be interesting to form a little book club to read back through that and discuss how it applies to our politics today. It was written just a few years before the 2016 election, I believe.
fpteJmM.jpg

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know him or his story, and neither do you.
We do know his story as far as it's contained in the article, though, which is that this was tolerated until he increased the size of the picture to this size.

First, the 59-year-old Floridian brought an 8-by-10-inch picture. Then his son Photoshopped a small cardboard cutout of Gibson with his political hero grinning beside him, giving a thumbs-up. It stood on a ledge as Gibson reclined in his shirt embroidered with Trump's name and his custom shoes bearing the president's face.
The collection was just a fascination for staff until Tuesday, the family says, when Gibson showed up to his regular appointment in Port St. Lucie with another Trump likeness. This one was life-size.

So, in fact, he and the hospital staff seemed to have been okay with smaller unobtrusive pictures of Trump.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I believe my argument is listed in those last 3 panels and also it's a jpg.
Then again, it doesn't matter because you're at the 'change the discussion' part of trolling.
I've tried my best to type out my thoughts, and gave reasons for why I think this line of thinking is dangerous, and posited an open invitation to read more into this together and discuss it outside of this thread. I got gifs, one-liners, and memes in response. In your meme edit you equate this man to Nazi caricatures. And I'm the one trolling? Yall were much happier ITT before I came along so I'll dip.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That's pretty normal here.
Why would you hang out on a forum where everyone is wishing death on people who don't deserve it constantly, like no offense but I feel like if you had strong convictions about it you wouldn't support the forum
I've tried my best to type out my thoughts, and gave reasons for why I think this line of thinking is dangerous, and posited an open invitation to read more into this together and discuss it outside of this thread. I got gifs, one-liners, and memes in response. In your meme edit you equate this man to Nazi caricatures. And I'm the one trolling? Yall were much happier ITT before I came along so I'll dip.
Dude, don't do the "I showed my ass and so I'm just gonna leave" thing, people are engaging perfectly fine with your argument.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, someone willing to risk death over having a cutout of trump near him isn't mentally well.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought it was amusing to see people go to bat for a snowflake's right to worship Cardboard Trump in a public place. Starting to second-guess that now, someone help me out.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not willingly caring about everyone who endangers themselves does not mean leftists and progressives lose the moral high ground, and you play into the right's hands every time you level this argument at your own allies.

We have the moral highground by default. You know why?

It's because we are fighting for laws and standards that allow even fucking MAGA simpletons like those in the OP to easily access healthcare that fits their needs and desires without endangering themselves financially, even if those desires are as fucking dumb as needing a cutout of Trump by their side because they lack the maturity and self-respect to just be fucking normal and just go through their medical treatment like an grown-ass adult. In my vision of a better world even this dumpster fire of a human being who voted to make my and every other minority's life worse would be able to find a dialysis center or maybe homecare options where he can bask in the orange radiation of our dickturd of a President as much as he pleases.

The fact that he is sacrificing himself-- and I don't personally care that he is-- doesn't mean shit to the fact that progressives are advocating for tangible changes that will allow all Americans to live in dignity, and that we are better than the right as a result regardless of our rhetoric.

And I'm tired of being told by people that I need to shape up and be more empathetic when frankly the people saying this shit don't even have the balls to tell this to Trump supporters themselves. Go to t_d and start preaching to them about morality. See how fucking far you get.

While you're playing respectability politics, I'll be doing my best to make sure even outright fucking nerds and losers can just live a better life. Because that's what it's about, not whether or not anyone's feelings are hurt.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Dude, don't do the "I showed my ass and so I'm just gonna leave" thing, people are engaging perfectly fine with your argument.
You and Bramblebutt are literally the only two who put any thought at all into your responses. Your standard for perfectly fine engagement is not as harsh as my own, I guess. I get enough of this type of discourse on Facebook from my family where, ironically (in the context of this conversation), I'm the NeverTrump snowflake libtard.

Last edited: