• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Latino = Anyone born in Latin America. Language does not matter.
Hispanic = Anyone that comes from a culture where the family or place speaks Spanish as the main/first language.

Spaniards are Hispanics, but not Latinos.
Brazilians are Latinos, but not Hispanics.

If you are born outside of Latin America, but speak Spanish as your main/first language (due to your family speaking it or whatever other reason). You're Hispanic.
If you ancestors come from a country where Spanish is the main language but you were born in another country and you do not speak Spanish. You're neither Latino or Hispanic.

tl;dr
Latino = Place where you were born.
Hispanics = Spanish as first language.

edit: Removed Haitians and Jamaicans from the example. Made a mistake saying they were latinos.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jamaicans are usually not considered latinxs.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Puerto Rican and I've always been Hispanic and Latino. I don't need this board to define who I am or what I've always been. Just another line in the sand thread.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder if anyone has ever been asked "do you speak Mexican?"
I haven't, but I'm sure there are instances.
When I was a kid, a fellow student said that they spoke Mexican. They actually did speak Spanish, but they aren't from Latin America, so it's presumably not even the Mexican dialect.

OP
OP

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
6.0.jpg

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wonder if anyone has ever been asked "do you speak Mexican?"
I haven't, but I'm sure there are instances.

We actually use this quite w bit in Spanish. As in speaking mexican or Argentinian or one of those heavily accented spanish versions.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I correct as Mexican American or Latinx, but mostly Mexican American because it reminds me of this

And I chuckle to myself.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was JUST asked that in my new work site by one guy, and asked by another if I speak Colombian. The question wasn't meant in a harmful fashion though, just ignorant and I corrected it.
I find it interesting that you took it that way. I asked my fellow latino (or I guess hispanic according to OP) co-workers if they have ever been asked that and how they would react to it. While none of them have ever been asked that, two of them claimed they would not take any offense to the question but did not say how they would correct the people that were asking.