• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I still don't understand why developers pretend older games don't exist while considering them canon. Either reboot the series or don't call them the same name.

-God of War
-RDR
-Doom
-Wolfenstein
-Hitman

Why is this happening?
Because focus testing says people don't like buying games if they think they're jumping into a series.

That said, it is Red Dead Redemption 2, and Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
After looking at this thread I really have sympathy for IO, it's pretty even on people who don't want episodic and those that do.
I do think overall the better game experience comes from the episodic model but it isn't as mainstream friendly.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Count the seconds we still have before Rocksteady's game gets leaked before Microsoft's or Sony's E3

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. Like I said I personally don't like the model. I don't wanna support it if I don't like it.

I hope everyone else enjoys the game though even if that turns out to be the case. Great series.
You don't want to buy a complete game because they previously released it as episodic content? What are you even railing against this is just nonsense.

Oct 31, 2017
Warner Bros as a publisher is a concern for me.
They've been making bad decision after bad decision in the last years and they aren't exactly kind to their PC audience.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. Like I said I personally don't like the model. I don't wanna support it if I don't like it
Why the hardline approach? Why exactly is the model so bad that you won't support it even if it makes sense for the game? It doesn't affect you at all if the game is episodic; the only tangible effect on you is a later release date

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You don't want to buy a complete game because they previously released it as episic content? What are you even railing against this is just nonsense.
I'm not railing against anything? I just said I hope it's not episodic because I don't like that kind of business model. If it's episodic it's just not for me.

I even said I hope everyone else enjoys it even if I don't like the model.

Oct 27, 2017
All of those were reboots, that's why
None of them are reboots though.
God of War (a true sequel to the Greece series)
-RDR (still references Revolver and that is considered canon.
-Doom (continues on from Doom 64
-Wolfenstein (Continues the story from Wolf 2009)
-Hitman (is directly connected to Hitman Codename 47, one of the missions takes place after 47 escapes the asylum from the tutorial in the first game.)

All of those are directly connected.

Because focus testing says people don't like buying games if they think they're jumping into a series.

That said, it is Red Dead Redemption 2, and Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus.

But why not call them something else, like a non numbered tittle. Wolf was perfectly fine until they called it Wolfenstein 2 and RDR is somewhat fine now because it is directly connected to Redemption 1.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
I only finished up the first season last night, so I am all in on whatever they do with next. But if they go episodic, I'd be happy as punch. That's the perfect way to play, IMO.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I still don't understand why developers pretend older games don't exist while considering them canon. Either reboot the series or don't call them the same name.

-God of War
-RDR
-Doom
-Wolfenstein
-Hitman

Why is this happening?
God of War:
In naming the game, Barlog stated that it was deliberately titled God of War with no numeral or subtitle because although it is a continuation of the series, "we are reimagining everything."
It makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is IOI still an independent developer and only partnering with WB to publish their game like they did with the definitive edition?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Fuck yes I'm in, Game of the Year 2016.

Would love episodic, it's the best for this kind of game. They just need to be very clear about what they're offering and when. Last time was a bit of a mess.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Why the hardline approach? Why exactly is the model so bad that you won't support it even if it makes sense for the game? It doesn't affect you at all if the game is episodic; the only tangible effect on you is a later release date
And I understand that. But I just don't like the idea of a Dev piecing out content like that for a full priced game. If I buy a game I wanna buy it and play it on my own time. If they don't do that then that's fine. It's a pass for me. If other people are okay with it and enjoy it that way then that's okay too.

I just don't wanna support a model I don't personally enjoy. Just like how I don't support microtransactions in full priced games even if I love the game so I just don't use them.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Warner Bros makes me nervous but I trust that IO wouldn't partner with them if they were going to fuck with the game. Still hyped to see it but I'm pretty sure all we're going to get at E3 is a CG trailer. I don't care if it's episodic or not, it didn't matter to Hitman 2016 at the end.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Warner Bros makes me nervous but I trust that IO wouldn't partner with them if they were going to fuck with the game. Still hyped to see it but I'm pretty sure all we're going to get at E3 is a CG trailer.

WB's Thursday teaser looks to be in-engine. The lighting and the way the leather looks gave it away almost instantly it's HITMAN.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it's not episodic, I'd rather a full game and then episodes later as DLCs.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
*please don't be episodic*

I really want it to be episodic. Hitman was seriously a perfect episodic release, it takes such a long time to actually finish fucking around on a level after you're done with it that by the time you're done the next episode is coming out. It's a constant influx of content and it works great.

I guess it not being episodic would work better for the crowd that only plays missions once, but I can't even imagine only playing Hitman missions once and being like "Yup. I'm done."

AleeN634

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The last one was my goty, hopefully they're able to keep the level of quality up for the new one.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I hope it is episodic. I don't think I would have ended up enjoying the last one as much if I had waited until the full season was out and barreled through all the missions.

Using the game as a platform to put in new levels, missions, targets, weapons, etc kept the game fresh for me. It kept me playing for months and it was always on my mind and I was always excited about what was coming next.

I wasn't frustrated waiting for the continuation of the story or something. I was excited to use the time between to dive deeper into levels and master them. Unlocking more items so I could better tackle whatever came next.

I guess it would be fine if they started with a heftier package with a schedule of more missions to come if they are afraid of doing it exactly the same as last time. I just don't want to lose that experience I had with the first season and I don't think just Elusive Targets would be the same.

I think they could just shore up the pricing model because it quickly became convoluted for people who were buying piece-meal. Luckily I just bought the full thing up front.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think episodic might be better for elusive targets and giving you time to master levels, but it's worse for sales. Player engagement usually ends up dropping with each episode. Better for them to front load their sales with a complete game and then add new content to satisfy those players looking for more.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Can't wait for the reveal, day one perch. Hitman Season One was my belated intro to the series and I fucking loved it, 2016 GOTY. Episodic format kept me coming back all year, was a risk initially but IOI nailed it. Even if the followup is a more complete base package this time around due to feedback, I hope there's still robust post-release content scheduled to keep the community alive and engaged.