• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's safe to say he will return, maybe not every time.

Yea I reckon probably a couple of times though with a different person as an elusive target before he shows up again then 2 different people or something and then they make a big deal about the last time, bosses have three stages right?

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
My game crashed to the desktop as I was escaping the elusive contract mission, thankfully it let me restart it but I was on the cusp of raging.

Took out Faba with a sniper from the race control tower, very satisfying. Was surprised how much I'd memorised the map considering I've only played it once, the great sign posting of what areas are is really helpful if you're not always wanting to check the map. Couldn't figure out how to get the race controllers out of the room so just best them both over the head with my briefcase lol.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone else try Tom Francis' contract on PC? I managed to get first place on the leaderboards (someone had to knock Indian Hitler down a peg), but I can't wait to see BernardoOne destroy it.
PArNX2U.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a PS4 patch expected soon? I love playing Hitman so much, but my first experience with the H2 last weekend was so un-enjoyably buggy, I just can't bring myself to return to it until it's in a more stable condition.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Why hasn't Jesper Kyd returned to compose the soundtrack? His music was such a huge part of these games for me. Loved Season 1, but something felt missing without him.

Last edited:

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The levels in Hitman 2016 were very good. This game has even better maps. They're so expertly designed and fun to replay over and over.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Why hasn't Jesper Kyd returned to compose the soundtrack? His music was such a huge part of these games for me. Loved Season 1, but something felt missing without him.

I never really played Blood Money, and I haven't been super impressed with the Hitman 2 music thus far, but I cannot for the life of me understand why the music in Hitman 1 gets such a bad wrap.

To me it's one of the most affecting and tangibly pivotal scores to the overall experience in a video game in recent years. It's got that Bondian spy swerve to it that I wonder is the reason people are so cool on it, but then again, Hitman 2016 in general is so clearly a step into the world of James Bond it fits perfectly. I often find myself humming the theme at random points in my day. It's iconic as far as I'm concerned.

The best thing about it is how seamlessly dynamic the whole thing is, building and dropping tension at specific moments to feel utterly magical. "THAT is...." and the brass kicks in is enough to send shivers down your spine. Or when you switch over to a new costume and the music carries you into the next phase of the mission. And finally, when it's time to exit and that victorious tune kicks in as you confidently stroll out of the gates. For what it needs to do, Hitman 2016's score is just about perfect to me.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Around 60 hours now, feeling like this just about captures my feelings. It's GOTY 2018.

SPOILER WARNING FOR LOCATIONS AND A BIT OF PLOT

1. Miami - The race is such a marvel, both technically and as a strategic consideration. You can manipulate the race and its outcomes in so many interesting ways. The map's color-coding and distinct areas help keep the sprawling map from feeling overwhelming. Just a terrific achievement.
2. Paris - IO's takedown of fashion week remains some of its sharpest satire yet, and the layout of Paris is both easy to familiarize oneself with and full of Points of Interest and surprises.
3. Mumbai - The diversity of voice acting is tremendously helpful in lending Mumbai a sense of place. It has the perfect cheesy Bollywood flavor, and the map, while huge, has a bunch of smartly placed sightlines in order to help the player from getting disoriented. The Kashmirian plot point, too, gives players a tremendous amount of control over the mission outcome.
4. Sapienza - Caruso is probably Hitman's best villain - tragic, strange, and sinister all the same. Sapienza is wonderfully sun-soaked, with all sorts of side plots and unique locations to explore.
5. Isle of Sgail - Almost like a deconstructed Paris level, Sgail gives the player a whole castle area to shimmy up and explore. It's atmosphere is Hitman's take on Eyes Wide Shut, with plenty of masquerades and intrigue put to classical music. The only disappointment, then, is the actual satire and writing of the level. To call it "on the nose" would be an understatement. It's also hard to ignore how the level reads like liberal fan-fic and yet tasks the player with killing two young PoC women in order to protect the life of an old white man. It's a lot.
6. Hokkaido - The hospital forces the player to change their strategy in some interesting ways. It feels restrictive on the first few approaches, but eventually the weaknesses in Hokkaido's fortress gives way, and you can enjoy the level for the massive toybox that it is.
7. Vermont - With some of the funniest and smartest writing in the series, Vermont is a wonderful change of pace in Hitman 2's lineup. It is let down a bit by the houses relative homogeneity, and by the side task of chasing down clues. The first time you have to sleuth around it's thrilling, but it makes replays pretty laborious.
8. Marrakesh - Marrakesh is better than most give it credit for, but it definitely needs the bonus Night missions to be fully appreciated. Otherwise, it's a fun big level where hunting the actual targets is the least interesting part.
9. New Zealand - A perfect tutorial level, with a gorgeous skyline, reflective glass everywhere, and smart pacing that lets players get accustomed to Hitman's control and layout before introducing the central mechanic of assassination.
10. Bangkok - Hotels should be perfect places for Hitman, but Bangkok feels too restrictive and limits itself to only a handful of hotel rooms. Despite this, Jordan Cross is another fun hit, and his backstory and music are worth exploring.
11. Colombia - The weak link in Hitman 2's campaign, Colombia is massive in a way that makes replays tedious. Characters are all zoned out, story missions take eons to finish, and the storytelling feels like a cheapo take on the infinitely more interesting life of Pablo Escobar. It is, however, very pretty.
12. Colorado - It's still not very fun, although the introduction of grass cover makes stealthing around the level a lot easier. 4 targets is just too many, especially given how flat Colorado is, and how few opportunities each character presents.
13. ICA Facility - The tutorial is serviceable, but that's about it. It introduces the basics but doesn't do a great job showcasing how much observation and manipulation you'll actually be doing in a real Hitman level.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Around 60 hours now, feeling like this just about captures my feelings. It's GOTY 2018.

SPOILER WARNING FOR LOCATIONS AND A BIT OF PLOT

1. Miami - The race is such a marvel, both technically and as a strategic consideration. You can manipulate the race and its outcomes in so many interesting ways. The map's color-coding and distinct areas help keep the sprawling map from feeling overwhelming. Just a terrific achievement.
2. Paris - IO's takedown of fashion week remains some of its sharpest satire yet, and the layout of Paris is both easy to familiarize oneself with and full of Points of Interest and surprises.
3. Mumbai - The diversity of voice acting is tremendously helpful in lending Mumbai a sense of place. It has the perfect cheesy Bollywood flavor, and the map, while huge, has a bunch of smartly placed sightlines in order to help the player from getting disoriented. The Kashmirian plot point, too, gives players a tremendous amount of control over the mission outcome.
4. Sapienza - Caruso is probably Hitman's best villain - tragic, strange, and sinister all the same. Sapienza is wonderfully sun-soaked, with all sorts of side plots and unique locations to explore.
5. Isle of Sgail - Almost like a deconstructed Paris level, Sgail gives the player a whole castle area to shimmy up and explore. It's atmosphere is Hitman's take on Eyes Wide Shut, with plenty of masquerades and intrigue put to classical music. The only disappointment, then, is the actual satire and writing of the level. To call it "on the nose" would be an understatement. It's also hard to ignore how the level reads like liberal fan-fic and yet tasks the player with killing two young PoC women in order to protect the life of an old white man. It's a lot.
6. Hokkaido - The hospital forces the player to change their strategy in some interesting ways. It feels restrictive on the first few approaches, but eventually the weaknesses in Hokkaido's fortress gives way, and you can enjoy the level for the massive toybox that it is.
7. Vermont - With some of the funniest and smartest writing in the series, Vermont is a wonderful change of pace in Hitman 2's lineup. It is let down a bit by the houses relative homogeneity, and by the side task of chasing down clues. The first time you have to sleuth around it's thrilling, but it makes replays pretty laborious.
8. Marrakesh - Marrakesh is better than most give it credit for, but it definitely needs the bonus Night missions to be fully appreciated. Otherwise, it's a fun big level where hunting the actual targets is the least interesting part.
9. New Zealand - A perfect tutorial level, with a gorgeous skyline, reflective glass everywhere, and smart pacing that lets players get accustomed to Hitman's control and layout before introducing the central mechanic of assassination.
10. Bangkok - Hotels should be perfect places for Hitman, but Bangkok feels too restrictive and limits itself to only a handful of hotel rooms. Despite this, Jordan Cross is another fun hit, and his backstory and music are worth exploring.
11. Colombia - The weak link in Hitman 2's campaign, Colombia is massive in a way that makes replays tedious. Characters are all zoned out, story missions take eons to finish, and the storytelling feels like a cheapo take on the infinitely more interesting life of Pablo Escobar. It is, however, very pretty.
12. Colorado - It's still not very fun, although the introduction of grass cover makes stealthing around the level a lot easier. 4 targets is just too many, especially given how flat Colorado is, and how few opportunities each character presents.
13. ICA Facility - The tutorial is serviceable, but that's about it. It introduces the basics but doesn't do a great job showcasing how much observation and manipulation you'll actually be doing in a real Hitman level.
This is a great writeup and I agree with most of the rankings/commentary. I'm souring a tad on Sgail after a few runthroughs -- it's fun as hell the first time through though. I think Hokkaido belongs in the Paris/Sapienza/Miami/Mumbai top tier. It's just such a tight, well constructed machine.

Jul 24, 2018
It took forever (final run time is over a freaking hour), but I managed to complete my sniper silent assassin challenge on Colorado. I got lucky several times, and the ending was particularily nerve-wracking when I missed a shot vs Berg.

Watch the grand finale here: https://youtu.be/8YlqiHi6zXs?list=PLMKkKkYNV-Wr8Ox5ZUDubbn8K2T-pf-CJ&t=2786

Full playlist so far: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMKkKkYNV-Wr8Ox5ZUDubbn8K2T-pf-CJ
What I did with Berg is basically just shoot him inside the shack with the Sniper up close, then snipe the rest of them from the house inside Rose's room.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's no filter on contract titles, because I just saw one in trending that was literally just the n-word.

Also got to hokkaido mastery 20 but the achievement refuses to unlock and I've tried basically everything I can think of (replaying, unlocking more challenges and beating it) so that's a huge bummer, hopefully they patch whatever is causing this.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh Tom Francis got featured huh? Might be worth trying to make some contracts in between Smash sessions later this week.

I have to say one thing I just can't get over in the legacy missions is the non-accented english. I know it's a fine line to tread but I absolutely hate how everybody at the Himmapan sounds 100% stereotypical American/English. (I know people in Mumbai sound 100% stereotypical Indian, perhaps even the wrong region of Indian, but I digress)

Jul 24, 2018
Oh Tom Francis got featured huh? Might be worth trying to make some contracts in between Smash sessions later this week.

I have to say one thing I just can't get over in the legacy missions is the non-accented english. I know it's a fine line to tread but I absolutely hate how everybody at the Himmapan sounds 100% stereotypical American/English. (I know people in Mumbai sound 100% stereotypical Indian, perhaps even the wrong region of Indian, but I digress)
Well, at least they put accents into the NPCs of the maps this time instead of the weird shuffling of American/English accents of the first game. Sure, they are stereotypical, but all of it is played rather straight with the Bollywood esque Indian film director target and what not. In Hitman you'll have Mercenaries in Colorado speaking like a Monty Python character in one moment, then suddenly he'd be voiced by Yuri Lowenthal. xD
Reminds me of Snake Eater when Snake talks with Sokolov, and Sokolov is like "Your Russian is superb" and I'll be like "They we're speaking Russian?!"

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
It also leads to this situation where every 'worker' on every map feels kinda the same bland worker. The random NPCs on Hitman 2 maps feel a lot more distinct

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
ok so I bought Hitman 2 disc. What's the cheapest way to get to get Hitman 1 with it? I thought I saw someone say buy 1 month of Xbox games pass so it thinks you own the game and then you get Hitman 1 levels forever in Hitman 2?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
did I miss the elusive target? I haven't had a chance to boot it today and I can't find information on when it rolls over

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
ok so I bought Hitman 2 disc. What's the cheapest way to get to get Hitman 1 with it? I thought I saw someone say buy 1 month of Xbox games pass so it thinks you own the game and then you get Hitman 1 levels forever in Hitman 2?

I'm not sure if many people know. When H2 first launched the legacy pack was glitched and a load of people got it for free. No one's sure if it was a glitch, or if game pass works or not sorry.

You could try the Xbox subreddit too, someone might be able to confirm.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The elusive target has another 6 hours left. I just beat it now (took a break from playing for like two weeks).

I got SA and am #12 on the leaderboard lol. Would've got top 10 but I confused myself looking for the exit and lost a bit of time.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I only reached level 20 on Paris and Sapienza in the 2016 game, so the Legacy Pack has been a useful impetus for playing through the other levels more. Marrakech is better than I gave it credit for previously; I don't think I had realized that waiters could go into the school area, a fact that opens up some possibilities and makes the Cafe feel more consequential.

It helps, too, that bonus missions and Patient Zero now contribute to mastery.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Yeah- I did the same thing- mastered Paris/Sapienza and then started Marrakech. I'm restarting with legacy pack. We'll see whether I get further this time :P

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
I've just started Hitman season one and all the elusive targets are gone. Are they coming back or did i miss all of them? I though IOI said that they will reset them or something.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've just started Hitman season one and all the elusive targets are gone. Are they coming back or did i miss all of them? I though IOI said that they will reset them or something.

They did reset them but they were still limited time events. So you could only access the reruns at certain times. They haven't said if they'll do a third rerun in Season 1 or even do something with them in Hitman 2.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friend was playing the Miami mission, and Sierra Knox somehow ended up off the map after he killed Robert Knox with the car, then got in position at the hotel in the mascot costume for the blackmailer opportunity.
b11946649f.png

d680376749.png

c9fefec217.png

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
If he isn't on the front page in the game any more than that means it's over. Gotta wait for December 21st for the next one.

Was wondering when that will be, probably will try some silent Takedown next time. I also need to set it up so it records properly rather than just Nvidia prompting that it has record then nothing being recorded.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Paris mastery is so easy, it's a cake to SASO on Master which is a bunch of experience. Add the mission stories and an escalation and you're more or less at 20 already.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017

I decided to do a stream of a clown suit run on the Miami level with the following guidelines:

- I could not switch out of the clown suit
- I could only the use didgeridoo to knock out my targets
- I could only kill the targets with my hands

Unfortunately, I died twice after killing Sierra Knox and the first time I did this run a week or so ago was a whole lot better, but I'm glad I documented it

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I only reached level 20 on Paris and Sapienza in the 2016 game, so the Legacy Pack has been a useful impetus for playing through the other levels more. Marrakech is better than I gave it credit for previously; I don't think I had realized that waiters could go into the school area, a fact that opens up some possibilities and makes the Cafe feel more consequential.

It helps, too, that bonus missions and Patient Zero now contribute to mastery.

do'h of course! The guy is expecting his food order!

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Still enjoying my time with Colombia. I probably have a few more challenge runs before I start going for the Classic runs but right now, the map doesn't seem great for the sniper challenges. Is there any decent long range strategy or is it a wander around the map with the briefcase until you're close to your targets situation?

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Is there any decent long range strategy or is it a wander around the map with the briefcase until you're close to your targets situation?
I found it a frustrating mission for sniper assassin, because it lacks the obvious vantage points found in other levels. But I managed to do it by

- Sniping Andrea Martinez through her upstairs window from between her mansion and the fishing village.
- Sniping Rico Delgado from the foliage as he goes through his route behind the mansion.
- shooting Jorge Franco from foliage near the gate separating his area from Delgado's

Jul 24, 2018

I decided to do a stream of a clown suit run on the Miami level with the following guidelines:

- I could not switch out of the clown suit
- I could only the use didgeridoo to knock out my targets
- I could only kill the targets with my hands

Unfortunately, I died twice after killing Sierra Knox and the first time I did this run a week or so ago was a whole lot better, but I'm glad I documented it

You could try pushing Robert unto Sierra's uncoming car that would fulfill your requirements.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hokkaido is still a fun map. The object scarcity is a real challenge though.