• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mumbai finally done. Only got 3 stars but I'm not really sure why. I made sure I deleted video recording and I killed everyone quietly or with accidents, where bodies being found are not supposed to hurt you score wise. Was it time? Took about 1:11:00 which is about on par with the other 2 big levels where I got silent assassin and 5 stars.

Anyway the level was pretty good. I like noticing the potential for future playthroughs while I'm going through the whole area and scoping it out.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
Mumbai finally done. Only got 3 stars but I'm not really sure why. I made sure I deleted video recording and I killed everyone quietly or with accidents, where bodies being found are not supposed to hurt you score wise. Was it time? Took about 1:11:00 which is about on par with the other 2 big levels where I got silent assassin and 5 stars.
Time shouldn't matter. What did it say on the detailed score screen under 'Objectives Completed'? Usually it's apparent from the list they give you there what took away the stars.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The new Sgail escalation is really fun. They're toying around with mechanics a lot more which is great. I wish they were coming out quicker because I've really liked the two new ones so far.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The new Sgail escalation is really fun. They're toying around with mechanics a lot more which is great. I wish they were coming out quicker because I've really liked the two new ones so far.
They seem to be releasing stuff at a slower rate than the previous season, which is kind of odd considering they don't have the next map to work on like they always did for season 1 right? I guess another way to look at it is they don't have as big of an incentive to keep people playing since they don't need to keep people interested enough to keep buying the next episode.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
They seem to be releasing stuff at a slower rate than the previous season, which is kind of odd considering they don't have the next map to work on like they always did for season 1 right? I guess another way to look at it is they don't have as big of an incentive to keep people playing since they don't need to keep people interested enough to keep buying the next episode.
They're also bug squashing for two full games now instead of one, released episodically. The Legacy pack has it's own share of little bugs, but it also has an insane amount of content and escalations.

Also, they are working on the two DLCs, with new maps and bonus missions across old maps.

As long as the patches and elusives keep up, I can't imagine being starved for content.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
They're also bug squashing for two full games now instead of one, released episodically. The Legacy pack has it's own share of little bugs, but it also has an insane amount of content and escalations.

Also, they are working on the two DLCs, with new maps and bonus missions across old maps.

As long as the patches and elusives keep up, I can't imagine being starved for content.
Both good points. Honestly I didn't keep up with their post release plans for this one and I didn't know they had new maps planned, so that makes sense. The current rate release rate is totally fine by me as well. There's plenty of stuff to play and I never find it difficult to jump back into this game every couple of weeks.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just did a run of Hawkes Bay and noticed that PS4 leaderboards are over 100,000 now. They've really jumped up since I last paid attention to it.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not so much a fan of this escalation. I preferred the more open style of the 2016 escalations, which felt like real tests of my ability and knowledge of the level. Whereas the escalations we've had so far here and in the GOTY pack are more gimmick focused, and especially with this one really take the planning and thought out of it.

Like I can see where in the previous game, this escalation would have centered around getting into the kitchen and taking the fish in your suit, rather than starting you off one room away.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Unwrapped my copy of Hitman 2 and installed it, then bought GOTY Legacy Pack for the Hitman 1 stuff. This will be my first time playing anything in this series. Hope I like it. I don't buy many multiplatform games on my X for whatever reason but I decided to with this one.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Small question for you guys. I'm very tempted to buy the standard edition since it's heavily discounted for the PSN Holiday Sales. Considering I plan to buy the season pass a bit later (standard edition + season pass is actually a bit cheaper with the discount than buying the Gold edition), am I missing anything worthwhile not going for the Gold edition? I think I'll be only missing the two bonus items which seem to be a gun and some kind of suitcase. Are those two items really worthwhile?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Small question for you guys. I'm very tempted to buy the standard edition since it's heavily discounted for the PSN Holiday Sales. Considering I plan to buy the season pass a bit later (standard edition + season pass is actually a bit cheaper with the discount than buying the Gold edition), am I missing anything worthwhile not going for the Gold edition? I think I'll be only missing the two bonus items which seem to be a gun and some kind of suitcase. Are those two items really worthwhile?
I have the Gold Edition, can't quite recall the bonuses, but the suitcase is essentially just a cosmetic change. It is functionally identical to the other suitcases you can unlock in the game. I imagine the gun is similar, though if it is unique it is still likely outclassed by other guns.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I have the Gold Edition, can't quite recall the bonuses, but the suitcase is essentially just a cosmetic change. It is functionally identical to the other suitcases you can unlock in the game. I imagine the gun is similar, though if it is unique it is still likely outclassed by other guns.

Excellent! I think I'll bite for the standard edition. The Holiday Sales price is pretty good.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
I have a question about these "Complete 3 Mission Stories" challenges in in the legacy content. Do you have to do 3 in a single mission (presumably 1 infiltration story and 2 kill stories" or is it just complete 3 unique stories in that level overall? I'm trying to grab the emetic vial on Marrakesh (which is the reward for completing 3 on that level) and I did the massage kill on my first Master difficulty playthrough, then the cameraman infiltration and the prisoner kill on my second Pro playthrough but it's still not counting.

I thought since mission stories aren't available on Master maybe the massage kill didn't count but it definitely did because it was showing as 1/3 going into my second playthrough.

Is it the difficulty? Do I need to do them all on the same difficulty or am I missing some other detail?

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I have a question about these "Complete 3 Mission Stories" challenges in in the legacy content. Do you have to do 3 in a single mission (presumably 1 infiltration story and 2 kill stories" or is it just complete 3 unique stories in that level overall? I'm trying to grab the emetic vial on Marrakesh (which is the reward for completing 3 on that level) and I did the massage kill on my first Master difficulty playthrough, then the cameraman infiltration and the prisoner kill on my second Pro playthrough but it's still not counting.

I thought since mission stories aren't available on Master maybe the massage kill didn't count but it definitely did because it was showing as 1/3 going into my second playthrough.

Is it the difficulty? Do I need to do them all on the same difficulty or am I missing some other detail?
You can do them whenever and on whatever difficulty you want, it'll count. Master just won't show you the steps at all, so if you miss any of them (very easy to) you won't get it "completed".

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018

This isn't made clear in the challenge itself, but the mission stories have to be the specific ones highlighted at the end of the mission (I'm not sure if they still do that after beating it on Master, though).

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Price is really tempting
But I wonder how much this game had improve?

I saw some videos and it looks the same to me it the same engine, same IA, same core game play.
With are the differences between the first game?
(I love the first game BTW)

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
With are the differences between the first game?
Gameplay improvements are fairly minimal
- The suitcase and some new tools available to you (tasers, grenades) can be pretty useful
- The UI is cleaner and it's made more apparent to you when you're in trouble or trespassing
- There are now a couple multiplayer modes, sniper assassin and Ghost Mode, but these aren't yet fleshed out.

Really the big thing here for me is that the mission design feels sharper; most levels feel more flexible and open than the previous game in terms of shifting targets' routines and offering multiple approaches. If you liked Hitman 2016, you will like this.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Im really enjoying this game. Been playing it for the last few weekends. Love re-doing levels with different starting points aiming for different kills.

Some features i would like would be pick pocketing (as some others have mentioned) and being able to select a load out from the planning screen, as i tend to just use the same stuff (lockpick, coins).

I find i dont really use many of the other gadgets, or any of the guns.

Would also like a 'speed up time' option for when im hiding in a box waiting for the next step in a plan.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Miami Master Difficulty SA/SO Speedrun

Pardon my ignorance, but why does that fenced door explode open at 0:30? Did you shoot it with the sniper rifle as you were unpacking it from the suitcase?

Either way, impressive run. I really wish we could watch the ghosts on the leaderboards, because the speedruns for this game are so far removed from how I generally play (unless a contract or escalation forces me to play fast).

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Just wanted to mention this might be (unexpectedly) my favourite game this year, still going through the year one missions and I'm having a blast, it's such a rewarding feeling figuring out things.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Vermont is the worst map in either of the last two Hitman games. The clues are so much worse than even the Sapienza virus on replays.

it's not so bad... James Betty is a pretty quick knockout/steal, use his shovel to get the cigar box, and the last category you'll probably pick up in Janus' house somewhere. I think that's my usual routine anyway.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I feel like for the rest of my life I'll never be able to stop raving about how incredible Mumbai map is in game design. Kinda like how I've been doing about Sapienza (including the bonus maps) for the last 2 years.

I'm still figuring things out in Mumbai and there's just so much going on. And most of it's fun little stories in the world like the sniper. Also it's not a really big map like Colombia where you're running back and forth for minutes (construction site shaman cough cough), but it's just densely packed so it's huge & full of content and doesn't waste the player's time.

I've taken a peak at Vermont, but haven't stepped in Sgail yet (about 50 hours in now), but as good as everyone says Sgail is I'll be surprised if it beats Mumbai for the best map of S2.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
it's not so bad... James Betty is a pretty quick knockout/steal, use his shovel to get the cigar box, and the last category you'll probably pick up in Janus' house somewhere. I think that's my usual routine anyway.
I usually go straight for Batty's shack, grab the lawsuit and shovel, dig up the box, then head to Janus' basement, grab the photo and shoot the security station. That's all the clues and cameras taken care of. Alternatively, the lawsuit and cigar box are right next to the bridge exit so they're easy to grab on the way out.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
In Colombia, I noticed there is a gold variant of an assault rifle on a wall with other regular assault rifles in the secret tunnel from the Delgado garage. This seemed a little odd.

Then I remembered that this level also has the golden deagle in Delgado's safe and I began wondering if there might be some secret on this level related to them.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything yet. I even went and got the Golden Idol and ran around with all three in my inventory, but nothing so far.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Colombia, I noticed there is a gold variant of an assault rifle on a wall with other regular assault rifles in the secret tunnel from the Delgado garage. This seemed a little odd.

Then I remembered that this level also has the golden deagle in Delgado's safe and I began wondering if there might be some secret on this level related to them.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything yet. I even went and got the Golden Idol and ran around with all three in my inventory, but nothing so far.
Nah rico just loves tacky shit

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I feel like for the rest of my life I'll never be able to stop raving about how incredible Mumbai map is in game design. Kinda like how I've been doing about Sapienza (including the bonus maps) for the last 2 years.
You and me both. I've seen people compare Santa Fortuna to Sapienza, but for me it's Mumbai that operates on the same principle of "Swiss cheese design," where you have so many angles and ways to get into restricted areas.

I've taken a peak at Vermont, but haven't stepped in Sgail yet (about 50 hours in now), but as good as everyone says Sgail is I'll be surprised if it beats Mumbai for the best map of S2.
As a map, Sgail has some really interesting verticality to it, but as a mission, I feel it falls short in terms of giving you ways to shift target routines and having them interact.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I'm still figuring things out in Mumbai and there's just so much going on. And most of it's fun little stories in the world like the sniper. Also it's not a really big map like Colombia where you're running back and forth for minutes (construction site shaman cough cough), but it's just densely packed so it's huge & full of content and doesn't waste the player's time.

Mumbai is just on another level from any other S2 map imo. It's better than Sapienza for me, but it's really close. I kept going for quite a while on this map even after getting level 20 mastery and I still have things I wan't to try out.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Mumbai is just on another level from any other S2 map imo. It's better than Sapienza for me, but it's really close. I kept going for quite a while on this map even after getting level 20 mastery and I still have things I wan't to try out.
I feel pretty confident saying it's the best map in either game. Sapienza is great, but there's a lot of that level that doesn't really come into play in the main story contract. Mumbai is similarly expansive but is much leaner; every inch of that level serves a purpose. It's incredibly rewarding to play.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I like that they're adding unlocks for featured contracts, though requiring 40 for that last one is a bit much. I can see a lot of occasions where starting out with a wrench in your inventory will be useful.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I like that they're adding unlocks for featured contracts, though requiring 40 for that last one is a bit much. I can see a lot of occasions where starting out with a wrench in your inventory will be useful.
Yeah, I've pined for wrench/screwdriver unlocks for a while. Glad to see they (hopefully) fixed Miami's race problems. Having it be more preditable and easy to manipulate should make that levels many challenges even more fun.

Mumbai scratches the same itch as Sapienza, where half the fun is just the tourism of it all. But it feels more immediately fleshed out too, with a bunch of little secrets to find or side stories to uncover in every level of the map. Last time I loaded it up I was just walking through the level to finish discovering the map and eavesdropping on everyone (I do recommend lowering the music so you can hear the un-subtitled convos) when I overheard a man and a woman talking on an overlooking cliff. Imagine my surprise when their conversation revealed that he was the Maelstrom, so I just hid behind a building and popped him in the head.

The Maelstrom challenge seems restrictive like the Sapienza virus at first, but it is actually a lot more malleable, and learning about the Maelstrom's origins is really rewarding too. It is probably my favorite level narratively in Season 2 - fun, grim humor in a world we rarely see as well realized in videogames.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Its the only level in Hitman 2016/2018 that I reached level 20 mastery without even noticing it, while still feeling like there's plenty of fun possibilities left to explore there. Just a fantastic mission across the board.

Holiday Hoarders being time limited is weird but at least the Santa suit will be permanent.
I love the hell out of this game, but the time limited stuff can go bust rocks.

Last edited:

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way for a complete newcomer to get good? I should play with the opportunities on, right?
Yea, the opportunities are a good way to learn how setting up kills works in the game. If you're feeling confident after a few missions, maybe try with them turned off and figure out how to set up stuff yourself just using the intel.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Making Holiday Hoarders time limited when it wasn't in the first game is weird. I assume it's because they might not want players without the Legacy Pack to have it permanently but it'd be nice if it was at least permanent for those with the pack. Hopefully it at least has some new stuff in it.

I was wondering recently if they'd add more stuff to encourage playing Featured Contracts so it's nice that they added some unlocks.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Featured Contract unlocks are great. It's such a minor incentive, but I will definitely play more contracts because of it.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
I hope I still remember the route for stealing all twelve items in Holiday Hoarders. It was fun to devise my own run for it by trial and error.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Notes for upcoming December patch:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-game-update-2-12/

Good to see more graphical options for PC, but would've liked more changes to Ghost Mode. It shouldn't show as a disconnect when the opposing player quits on the match.
Hilarious as always:
Painter's Immunity
We've fixed an issue where Agent 47 could get away with murder by blending in as a painter in Mumbai. Now, guards will engage and open fire. He'll probably still get away with it.

Too Much Sugar
We've fixed an issue where Agent 47 could insert an infinite number of coins into a vending machine by concealing a coin in the briefcase. We laughed at this one, but it's still been fixed.

Briefcase
Don't worry, it's not *that* fix.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Vermont is the worst map in either of the last two Hitman games. The clues are so much worse than even the Sapienza virus on replays.

Honestly I thought so too the first few times I played it. But rerunning all the missions and doing contracts has really made me appreciate the level. The pack a lot of cool interactions and possibilities into a small level. And the writing is more spot on and funny than most of the game.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its the only level in Hitman 2016/2018 that I reached level 20 mastery without even noticing it, while still feeling like there's plenty of fun possibilities left to explore there. Just a fantastic mission across the board.

I love the hell out of this game, but the time limited stuff can go bust rocks.
It's especially stupid when you consider that the same mission was permanent in the 2016 game.