• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Confirmed by CEO and co-owner Hakan Abrak. Also Hitman 3 might go back to episodic release like Hitman 2016 was.

Last edited:

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Thank you Jesus.

I was so excited to hear that in the documentary. Definitely not the traditional way to announce new games but I'll take it.

I was surprised that they're considering episodic again, but either way I'm 100% down.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Good shit, hopefully they reveal the final map soon-ish

Bank was fun

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Glad to know they're doing well enough to keep it up as well as work on something new. The last couple of Hitman titles have been incredible.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Fuck yeah. I actually missed the episodic release, Hitman as a game is fucking perfect for episodic releases since there's so much to do in each level and they tune the later levels based on feedback.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Fuck yeah! I was worried about prospects for a sequel. They definitely deserve the success, I'm excited to see where they go with it.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This is absolutely amazing. After hearing how, supposedly, both the first and second games didn't sell too well, this is so great to see. Hitman 1 & 2 are among the very best games of this entire generation.

Last edited:

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Hell yes. I still have been too lazy to finish Hitman 2, but those games are dope. Episodic releases should give me time to really dive into each map without that itch of continuing the story.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this necessarily confirms a Hitman 3 is in development quite yet - more so that IO is at the very least expecting they'll make it.

Here's the quote from the video:

"Earlier this year IO Interactive opened up a new studio across the bridge in Malmo, Sweden. And while much of the team is working on new Hitman content, and looking ahead to the third Hitman game, one that Hakan says may once-again go episodic, the majority of the studio at least here in Copenhagen is working on something secret, and rather excitingly, something new."

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
So this is why the support/DLC for Hitman 2 has been lackluster outside of the monthly patches. Looking at the roadmaps each month ranges from alright to downright bad.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thank you Jesus.

I was so excited to hear that in the documentary. Definitely not the traditional way to announce new games but I'll take it.

I was surprised that they're considering episodic again, but either way I'm 100% down.
Sounds like the lesson learned from 2016 that a free entry point is the key to converting new players, instead of just a $15-$20 price point. So I imagine H3 will launch with a free entry level, backwards compatibility for 1-2, and then paid episodes going forward.

Also very excited to see these maps in next-gen.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
YES!

Please go back to an episodic release!

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Amazing how they've been punched down sales-wise yet they're still willing keep going.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I was so scared for this franchise. I hope Hitman 3 builds on Hitman 2 while offering meaty maps in its own right.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Great! I'm in no matter which route they take. Ill get the game at the end of year one or whatever its called if they do episodic. Love this series and I hope their new IP is interesting too

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be happy if they go episodic again. More time to take in each map rather than having them all up front and splitting time between them all. Also nice to see that they're looking ahead to it since there's been some uncertainty it'll happen.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that I really love about the Hitman games is how they incorporate the content from the previous games, so it doesn't feel like you're missing any content. It's the same feeling as Smash Ultimate.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Hakan did say it will be treated as 1 game in the end with 20+ locations, so I imagine the importing progress has already been sorted going forward.

Jul 26, 2019
This makes me very happy. Cranking up the level design of new Hitman games was right decision. I hope they get better in this direction going forward.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i would be perfectly fine with io releasing another hitman with minor improvements to the absolutely stellar core design started in the 2016 release

of course, i would also be very excited for something radically different in hitman 3 and/or the new ip! i fully trust the devs to come up with something genuinely fun with complex systems.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
So this is why the support/DLC for Hitman 2 has been lackluster outside of the monthly patches. Looking at the roadmaps each month ranges from alright to downright bad.
Yeah, it seems like building The Bank, The Resort, and starting production on Hitman 3 levels is occupying the majority of the already apparently smaller team's time, which is why there's a lot less other stuff compared to 2016 when there were 200 people working on just the one game.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
i would be perfectly fine with io releasing another hitman with minor improvements to the absolutely stellar core design started in the 2016 release

of course, i would also be very excited for something radically different in hitman 3 and/or the new ip! i fully trust the devs to come up with something genuinely fun with complex systems.

They did say after the split with SE that they had to cut some planned features as well as downsize a couple of levels, so hopefully the planned additions will be implemented in the 3rd game now that they are more stable as a studio.