• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Recently I got myself a copy of the HD Enhanced collection mainly because I enjoyed World of Assasination (Hitman 2016 & 2) so much that I wanted to give older games in the series a try.

For years whenever someone mentioned Absolution in any capacity it was described as "the worst in the series" or "that's not even a Hitman game". And while the abount of story I've seen so far definitively feels more like an action movie than an assasin simulator I still feel it plays fairly well, kinda like Hitman 2016 but with some different mechanics.

Is it just the story or does the game screw the pooch hard at some later point in terms of mechanics and I just don't know yet?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
IIRC the problem is similar to Deus Ex HR before the updated release - bosses don't really respect your decision to go stealthy.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's because the game was way more of a third person shooter than the older Hitman titles.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know if it's been changed since release, but the disguise system was pretty busted

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
offers vastly less freedom on how to deal with problems, encounters, etc

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
It's more of a stealth game than a Hitman game. Not bad by any means, but lacks the assassination sandboxes the series is known for, save for a couple levels

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It just felt so limited in how you could approach youre target

Game was super linear.

Plus the disguise system was absolute arse cheeks

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
hitman is a game about sandboxes and absolution largely was a game about corridors. (Some small but limited exceptions)

and instinct suuuuucked.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's a linear third person shooter with extremely simple and shallow stealth mechanics. In other words, it isn't a Hitman game.

It isn't the first time IO fucked up with HItman though, og Hitman 2 was really linear too, though the execution was far worse.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I really liked Absolution when it came out on PS3, but it was also my very first steps in the series.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Two reasons:
- The disguise system was too binary. For example, if you dressed up as a cop, every other cop would be suspicious of you and every non-cop would never be suspicious of you.
- The levels were too small, too linear, too scripted and most of them just required you to get to the level exit rather than assassinate anyone.

Disguise system aside, Absolution was pretty strong from a mechanical standpoint and served as the foundation for the last two games. The sound design was also top-notch. If Absolution hadn't been called Hitman, I think it would have been much better received.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It was never considered a bad game. It's fine.
The problem is the number of linear levels and action set pieces.
The bigger sandbox levels were also limited and bite-sized compared to previous games.

Blood Money built on the previous games in the series and almost perfected the formula. Then Absolution sort of threw it all out. It was a weird sequel.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Fine game. Just different from what the series was known for. Think of the critical reception of DmC and RE6.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a more linear Hitman game but it has some great moments.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I liked it. But there were too many levels that weren't like a Hitman game. It was mostly like a Splinter Cell Hitman hybrid. The only level that felt like a Hitman level to me was China Town and The Streets of Hope.

I still think it's the best Hitman visually though

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't a lot of kills happen in cutscene

Or a cutscene interrupted your kill

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty fun stealth-action game
But it's also a terrible Hitman game, as well as being the first Hitman game after six years since Blood Money and the first one of that generation.

Dakath

Oct 26, 2017
In a weird way, it was a third attempt at a Kane and Lynch game after the first two failed to find success. It has that same grind house sleaze aesthetic and awful unlikable characters. Someone in the SquareEnix Eidos hierarchy really, really loved Kane and Lynch. Never made any sense to me, but few things about that era of their management did.

For Absolution itself, the best one word description for it I've come across is "uneven." It has several design choices that do not agree with one another. It's hard to qualify it as a stealth game with bad third person action, or a third person shooter with bad stealth because there are levels where it manages to be excellent at one or the other but never manages to blend the two in a way that isn't frustrating. You're either tediously stealthing your way through a sequence that's meant to be guns blazing or you're guns blazing through what might otherwise be a good Hitman level. And the points system for rating how well you're doing was immediately punishing for going loud and lethal--despite there being multiple systems, design choices and mechanics that all encouraged you to murder everyone in a level. Why give me a way to mark and shoot multiple people in the head if murder instantly lowers your score?

There's literally a hospital-for-orphans filled with brutally murdered little old nuns level, where you come across the enemies torturing someone to death in the first room. You can go through that without killing everyone, but it's not fun, not from a thematic or mechanical point of view. There's also an excellent penthouse museum level with some really great ways to carry out the assassination--drop a whale skeleton on them, harpoon them out the window, poison their sushi with hallucinogens, etc. It's not a good guns blazing level though, and because of the imperfect stealth/instinct systems it would frequently become one with no satisfying way to go back to the more traditional stealthy play style.

Absolution is ultimately a failed marriage of two design philosophies that had way, way too much money spent on the ceremony.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
One of the worst save systems of all time. It's completely counter to what makes Hitman games uniquely appealing - observation, planning and patience are all thrown out the window if you load a save. Manual saves are only allowed in specified locations in each level. Using one saves your location in the level, but all of the character locations and AI routines are reset if you load that save.

After 40 minutes of careful sneaking and planning, you use a save location just seconds before your target comes into view for a snipe. You blow the shot, so you load from the save point. Unfortunately, the target is no longer about to come into view - he's now clear across the level where he was at the very start of the mission. And that guard you lured and took out to gain access to the save room? He's now at his level start position - right outside the door of the room you're in, and won't budge because you can't trigger his patrol routine.

I was flabbergasted when I realized how it worked. It's as if the devs didn't really understand their own game.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
In a weird way, it was a third attempt at a Kane and Lynch game after the first two failed to find success. It has that same grind house sleaze aesthetic and awful unlikable characters. Someone in the SquareEnix Eidos hierarchy really, really loved Kane and Lynch.
So I never worked anywhere above QA for SE, but from what I'd heard IOI was in full control. I see a lot of consumers blame Square for those years of IOI but from what I know Square kept investing in IOI's choices and lost money each time (except Absolution and Mini ninjas).

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
It lacked what made Hitman stand out from other stealth games. That being said, it's still a solid game for what it is.

Dakath

Oct 26, 2017
So I never worked anywhere above QA for SE, but from what I'd heard IOI was in full control. I see a lot of consumers blame Square for those years of IOI but from what I know Square kept investing in IOI's choices and lost money each time (except Absolution and Mini ninjas).

Someone at IOI really loves Kane and Lynch. More than they should.

OP
OP
Hazard_Kujacker
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Well. After reading some of the responses I can definitively see why people dont like absolution. And I do magree with the sentiment that it is a good action stealth game that massively deviates from the formula. At least the Hitman vision mechanic got transfered over for World of Assasination.

Oct 27, 2017
Disguise system sucked

Checkpoint system was downright broken

Each level ends with you having to arbitrarily lock pick a door hoping you don't get caught in the process.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It had one of the worst checkpoint/save systems I've ever seen in a game. The checkpoints didn't actually save any progress, just your physical position in the level. So if you kill a guard, move past them and grab a checkpoint, then fail and reload that checkpoint, the guard you killed will be alive again and will see you the moment you load up that checkpoint.

According to the devs it was completely intentional but I just don't understand how anyone thought that was a good idea in a stealth game.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being thoroughly confused and confounded the first couple of times I put on a "disguise' in the game and suddenly I had perception warnings decorating my screen from every direction. The disguises did nothing but single you out more because apparently every street vendor or whatever knew each other so well they could pinpoint a faker from a good distance away.

It was literally easier to go through some areas dressed in your regular Hitman outfit or some other entirely different disguise than to disguise yourself as the type of person who worked in that area. It was completely fucking backwards.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Because they followed Blood Money, arguably the best entry at the time, and decided it needed to be Splinter Cell: Conviction with an awful disguise and checkpoint system.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Forget about characterizing it as universal outright "hate," because that will always seem indefensible no matter how many people explain what was flawed about the game.

The disguise system is counterintuitive because:
  • every single person wearing the same outfit as you will see through the disguise (e.g. all street vendor chefs at various, separate food stalls/restaurants in Chinatown see through a chef disguise)
  • you need to then sneak around outside people's field of view, negating the purpose of having a disguise, or use the finite Instinct meter to act casual and dispel suspicion
  • on higher difficulties, NPCs see through disguises quicker which exacerbates the above issues
The levels are really linear overall and shooting/stealthing is just adequate but not super engaging to the point they carry the game on their own. Even outside of the more traditional Hitman-style assassination levels, there are portions (on normal/hard difficulty, at least) that provide some cool tense scenarios like the hotel escape, but even those are frequently broken up by checkpointing that prevents backtracking (which could be useful at certain points), and restarting at those checkpoints causes the player to lose disguises and revert back to 47's default outfit. Experimentation, exploration, and replaying levels to get better weren't encouraged by its design.

The game has a lot of varied environments that you only pass through once, and a lot of story cutscenes/elements, and those go a long way in entertaining most people, and the game was marketed exceptionally, so it sold well. It does have some traditional Hitman-style levels (rockabilly small town street, the motel/cornfield was good), and I would've been fine with the story and assassination framing if the game consisted of Blood Money-style missions and without the disguise mechanic being the way it is, but it wasn't.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the game was hated so much, and I enjoy it a lot when playing it first on Xbox 360. Always coming back to try different approaches.

Though I did have some complaints with it; the bloom, glaring effects with green/yellow tint on the visual that strained my eyes and the scoring system, which kind of intimidating to look at and make me nervous everytime to not do any mistake that can drain my score, unless I play on "Purist".

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Blood Money:

*gets caught being somewhere I shouldn't*
"Hey, you shouldn't be here!"
*leaves to find another way*

Absolution:
*gets caught being somewhere I shouldn't*
- 1000 HITMAN POINTS

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not a Hitman game, it's a poor clone of Splinter Cell Conviction, already the worst Splinter Cell game.

It's also really, really bigoted.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's been changed since release, but the disguise system was pretty busted
I agree with this. The way it worked pretty much made it useless. It was extremely difficult to remain undetected in many parts of the game. People will spot you as an impostor from a mile away. Not even something that could happen in real life. 2016 Hitman was in credible on the other hand.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best selling Hitman game by a large margin and laid the foundation for the current two games. Don't let forum negativity/hate cloud your judgement.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that never got super into the series, I loved Absolution and had a blast with it. Got me to give Season 1 a try when it released and I enjoyed that very much as well. I thought the story in Absolution was enjoyable and fun.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
- Too linear
- The disguise system didn't work with the linear level design
- The save system was terrible
- Batman inspired "detective vision" took a lot of the challenge and sense of discovery away

Despite these flaws, I still like Absolution a lot. It's not a bad game. It just wasn't what Hitman fans wanted after an amazing game like Blood Money. It was basically like going from Chaos Theory to Conviction for Splinter Cell fans. Tons of freedom and options stripped away in favor of story and cinematic moments.

It's the best selling Hitman game by a large margin and laid the foundation for the current two games. Don't let forum negativity/hate cloud your judgement.
If you're talking financially... sure. The rebooted games play nothing like Absolution though. They are much more of an evolution of earlier Hitman games.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
What's that got to do with how the game plays?

The way a game plays and how enjoyable it is for the player is purely subjective. What might be trash to you can be amazing to me and others. Hence the constant debate around TW3, RDR2 etc on forums/YouTube. Absolutions biggest fault was that it was not what one considers a traditional Hitman game. It was fun and had a good story.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The way a game plays and how enjoyable it is for the player is purely subjective. What might be trash to you can be amazing to me and others. Hence the constant debate around TW3, RDR2 etc on forums/YouTube. Absolutions biggest fault was that it was not what one considers a traditional Hitman game. It was fun and had a good story.

And the thread's asking why (some) people dislike the game. People are saying why, and you just came in to say "don't let forum negativity/hate cloud your judgment" which suggests OP shouldn't listen to the people they're asking.

Doesn't make any sense to say that here, unless you can't accept that people dislike the game for various specific reasons.

OP
OP
Hazard_Kujacker
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
- Too linear
- The disguise system didn't work with the linear level design
- The save system was terrible
- Batman inspired "detective vision" took a lot of the challenge and sense of discovery away

Despite these flaws, I still like Absolution a lot. It's not a bad game. It just wasn't what Hitman fans wanted after an amazing game like Blood Money. It was basically like going from Chaos Theory to Conviction for Splinter Cell fans. Tons of freedom and options stripped away in favor of story and cinematic moments.

If you're talking financially... sure. The rebooted games play nothing like Absolution though. They are much more of an evolution of earlier Hitman games.

World of assasination definitively feels like an evolution of the Hitman formula, although it does take some of the good things I've seen from absolution, like Hitman vision.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Layed the foundation for going back to what Hitman was before Absolution because it was hated so much? Sure I guess. The only think that carried over from Absolution were the intuitive controls.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
It's like if the tutorial mission from Blood Money was the design philosophy. A linear stealth game where you simply reach the end of the level.

Not a bad game, just is not what Hitman is really known for.