• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer went up early. I suspect this was going to be revealed tomorrow via Xbox Wire.

Native 4K (High Detailed Mode)
60fps mode (High Frame Rate Mode)
HDR
Enhanced Textures (increased resolution and filtering)
Enhanced Shadows (increased details and maps)

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution or framerate, that's what I'm talking about. Every game should have choices.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
So even if you choose either mode, it seems like you get the enhanced textures and shadows anyways.....which is a pretty big deal for even 1080p users......damn, this thing is going to deliver a LOT of good experiences with that extra RAM for 1080 users

I'll ask the obvious question:

How does this compare to Pro?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hitman-ps4-pro-enhancements-detailed/1100-6445069/

it really didn't sound like much

reading the pro enhancements it didn't even sound like the Pro got a 60 fps mode did it?

edit2: watching digital foundry video on it, it was an uncapped framerate with dips to the low 40's in Pro mode.....will be interesting to see if this holds

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome game. I wonder if the PC performance issues have been cleared up. There was always a persistent microstutter for me.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Nice update. Good to see IO still working hard on this.

Is HDR coming to other platforms as well?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hitman 2016, or HITMAN, or
Hitman: Absolution 2.0 you know this in your heart to be true
is a strikingly beautiful game. It really doesn't get enough love for its beautiful lighting and great texture work. Not to mention the pretty decent crowd systems.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Love the choices, hope more games do that. Hell even with a 4K monitor I might opt for that more often than not.

Oct 27, 2017
For those interested in playing this game for the first time, I highly recommend getting it for PS4 so you can access the PlayStation exclusive Sarajevo Six, but if you're interested in a more upscaled version on the new Xbox then don't be too upset, you're not missing out on that much.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to agree. At least if it's not too taxing to do.

I'm almost glad I haven't played this game yet. Now I can play it on the X (although Wolfenstein II comes first).

Yeah in a perfect world, it'd be both, but with consoles, compromises always have to be made.

And giving the actual player the choice as to what they want to compromise is the best solution.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean by this? The common criticism leveled at Absolution is its general lack of freedom/creativity, made worse by simpler level design, for a Hitman title, which Hitman'16 has in spades.
Hitman 2016's gameplay is almost identical to Hitman: Absolution. Same gunplay, same movement, and most of the same mechanics, albeit sometimes with slight tweaks. (Like Instinct mode.) There is very little difference between Hitman: Absolution's handful of sandbox missions and Hitman 2016's. The distinguishing difference is Hitman 2016 is completely lacking the more linear, story-driven missions that endeared Absolution to audiences that found previous Hitman games too confusing and plot-light.

Hitman 2016 plays pretty much exactly like Absolution, but with Blood Money style level design. Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends on whether you prefer Absolution's more structured, story-driven approach or Blood Money's more free form sandbox approach. I do personally prefer player freedom, but a more structured approach has benefits. They're both equally valid. Absolution doesn't magically stop being a great game just because it isn't a sandbox outside a handful of missions. Different strokes for different folks. Nothing wrong with game series not being what some sections of the fanbase wanted.

But yea, Hitman 2016 plays absolutely nothing like early Hitman games. Mechanically, it's near identical to Absolution. Even the disguise system is a tweaked version of Absolution's instead of being based on earlier games.

edit:

Not trying to start any sort of fight, BTW. Hitman 2016 is great. I love the game and I'm in no way criticizing it. I think it's great that it plays like an improved Absolution. But I always found it weird how some Hitman fans ignore that it looks and plays exactly like Absolution for the most part. There's a lot of hostility in the Hitman fanbase, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
The sheer attention to detail on props, object physics, and texture work (like hung painting artwork) is a standout achievement from IOI.