• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2019
Well, you finished a game which is more than many of us have done (myself included), hahah. Do not sell yourself short.

I for one would love to see your game. Whenever I feel self-conscious about my art I remember that games like VVVVVV and Dream Quest are widely acclaimed. In the end it's the gameplay that's most important, always.
Thanks for the encouragement. The project I mentioned was just a doofy platformer for the "can't draw" jam (so the art is mostly angry scribbles). If you really want to see it, it's here. I would be happy to hear your feedback.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Heyyy. So, I make games as a hobby. Or try to, anyway. I've only finished one silly jam game. I have one focus project that I've been working on for a little while and a few others that are backburnered or just experiments. Life is hard right now, so I don't always have the time or motivation.

I work with Unity these days. My art is terrible. I may not post my work very often since I'm self-conscious, but I like seeing what others are up to.
I would also like to see your game! I'm sure most of us are self-concious about our games, but it's still fun to have thread full of people going through the same things. If you are interested to see my work you can find my stuff here: https://hanuli.itch.io/

Edit: Oh you posted a link to your game. i'll go check it out!

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a finished game right now but two problems.

1) when I turn my phone sideways, the game turns to landscape mode. I want to force it into portrait mode at all times. How to do that in unity?

2) I'd like to get ads on my game even if it wont make a lot, I'd still like to try it. I've enabled ads in the service menu but when I go play the game on phone or inside unity itself, no ads show up. Any suggestions?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't made a game in like two years. Scary.

I want to go back to it but work and personal life makes it hard since I'm tired whenever I have free time. I've been trying to read about Unity and Game Design to get some "inspiration" to get back into it.

I might try some Pico-8 to try and unlock something. I have this really simple idea (nothing special) but I really want to publish something again.

It sucks being in this slump.

EDIT: I dipped my toes into 3D modelling and some drawing but I always have the itch to make a game still.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
So I have a finished game right now but two problems.

1) when I turn my phone sideways, the game turns to landscape mode. I want to force it into portrait mode at all times. How to do that in unity?

2) I'd like to get ads on my game even if it wont make a lot, I'd still like to try it. I've enabled ads in the service menu but when I go play the game on phone or inside unity itself, no ads show up. Any suggestions?

I haven't worked with ads but you can set the game to only support portrait mode by going: Edit > Preferences > Player > Resolution and Presentation > Orientation > Select "Portrait"

EdeCMm4.png

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
I should probably use the 2D version of the script myself. Incidentally, is there a way to set drag and drop movement to snap to the grid automatically without having to hold shift every single time?

I haven't seen the video, but I'm wondering if you can get away with something simple like taking the vector from the enemy's eyes to the player, and checking for:
- Distance (check the magnitude of the vector is below some value).
- Angle (check the angle between the enemy's facing direction and the vector is below some value).
- Obstruction (raycast in the direction of the vector and see if it hits terrain before hitting the player; you get raycast hits in order so just check the ones before it reaches the player).

This is after thinking about it for less than a minute so there's probably something obvious I'm missing that makes this impossible. :D

No :(

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for the encouragement. The project I mentioned was just a doofy platformer for the "can't draw" jam (so the art is mostly angry scribbles). If you really want to see it, it's here. I would be happy to hear your feedback.

I have so many games to test from this thread alone, hahah, but since you asked me directly I'll put it on the top of my list. I downloaded it and I'll get to it but no promises when that'll be. :)

Uh, can you elaborate? :D

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Heyyy. So, I make games as a hobby. Or try to, anyway. I've only finished one silly jam game. I have one focus project that I've been working on for a little while and a few others that are backburnered or just experiments. Life is hard right now, so I don't always have the time or motivation.

I work with Unity these days. My art is terrible. I may not post my work very often since I'm self-conscious, but I like seeing what others are up to.

Practice makes perfect, Ruby-Eyed Witch! Keep up the hustle and you'll get to where you want to be!

Aug 28, 2019
I have so many games to test from this thread alone, hahah, but since you asked me directly I'll put it on the top of my list. I downloaded it and I'll get to it but no promises when that'll be. :)

No hurry at all. I didn't really come in here intending to show it off and I'm not going to do anything more with it at this point, so real projects deserve your attention more.

Aug 28, 2019
That's a good point. I feel like we should form some sort of testing community where each one tests the others' games. I always appreciate testers for my own game.
A single thread is a little bit cramped for everything, isn't it?

I would also like to see your game! I'm sure most of us are self-concious about our games, but it's still fun to have thread full of people going through the same things. If you are interested to see my work you can find my stuff here: https://hanuli.itch.io/
Your art is really nice. I'll check out some of your work.

Practice makes perfect, Ruby-Eyed Witch! Keep up the hustle and you'll get to where you want to be!
Well, I try, anyway. One of these days I'll post a clip of what I'm working on. Maybe after I get rid of the rest of that placeholder art.

Oct 25, 2017

I love this so much. This is now a game about walking in wheat. We will call it WheatWalker 2000 and it will sell a million copies.

Or maybe we call it Pig-toss-o-tron? I'm not sure.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts

Cloth physics code was already written. I just had to attach one to Sheep's head bone.

The water reflects a color between the sky and horizon colors based on reflection vector. Two noise maps are used to create the ripples.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Buying some Udemy courses: CHECK
Installing Unity: CHECK
Buying Pyxel Edit: CHECK
Learn to compose music: TBD

Hey all :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Finally finished Zone 2 of my game! Made a quick youtube video to show it off.

Looks pretty neat, so much going on, hahah. Two quick pieces of feedback:
- It's "gatling", not "gattling".
- It feels like there's several instances of bullet patterns that are literally unavoidable because there's too little space for the ship to maneouver between them. Your game seems to manage that by having a large lifebar, but not being able to dodge everything feels "bad" for the player. How bullet hell games usually manage this is, your ship's collider is actually only a small dot in the center of the ship, so bullets going through outer parts of the hull pass through harmlessly. In your game, the collider is the entire ship sprite, which makes it impossible to dodge some bullet curtains, especially if they come from above or below.

seatoadgames

Jul 5, 2019
Looks pretty neat, so much going on, hahah. Two quick pieces of feedback:
- It's "gatling", not "gattling".
- It feels like there's several instances of bullet patterns that are literally unavoidable because there's too little space for the ship to maneouver between them. Your game seems to manage that by having a large lifebar, but not being able to dodge everything feels "bad" for the player. How bullet hell games usually manage this is, your ship's collider is actually only a small dot in the center of the ship, so bullets going through outer parts of the hull pass through harmlessly. In your game, the collider is the entire ship sprite, which makes it impossible to dodge some bullet curtains, especially if they come from above or below.
The collider is actually a box about half the ship's height. I was having trouble dodging because my mac slows down to a halt when recording. =( Need to invest in a new computer. Glad you like the video. I will fix the misspelling ASAP =)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Been a while since I posted a screenshotSaturday, let this one double as a request for help with the twitter gif issue (see the second tweet).

The collider is actually a box about half the ship's height.

Then it might be the bullets that have too large colliders. You can see it e.g. at 3:28, you get hit by three rings in succession that barely graze the ship.

seatoadgames

Jul 5, 2019
Been a while since I posted a screenshotSaturday, let this one double as a request for help with the twitter gif issue (see the second tweet).

Then it might be the bullets that have too large colliders. You can see it e.g. at 3:28, you get hit by three rings in succession that barely graze the ship.

That gif wont play for me either =(
Also good eye on the rings, the colliders on there are probably wrong. Going to check it now.

Edit: Just went through your twitter; Divinoids looks amazing!

Last edited:

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017

Twitter gifs haven't worked for me in a while either. Kinda silly that it is fully broken.

It's Saturday but instead of a normal screenshot, here's my terrain LOD system under development. Every pixel in the height map is given a random color to make texel density easily visible.

URjYMGV.png

Terrain right next to the camera has one pixel for every ~19 inches while terrain farthest from the camera has one pixel for every ~820 feet. From the perspective of the player, this lets terrain look high quality up close and far away while only using one 512x512 texture.

Here is what it looks like when the camera is zoomed out to clearly show the change in texel density.

tDMNwbH.png

UV coordinates are adjusted in the shader to produce this effect. The sharp transition between densities could be smoothed with a custom equivalent of trilinear filtering.

My end goal with this approach is to render this texture procedurally as the player moves. My world is the size of Western Europe so this my method to get similar results to a 2,097,152x2,097,152 texture covering the whole map.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That gif wont play for me either =(
Also good eye on the rings, the colliders on there are probably wrong. Going to check it now.

Edit: Just went through your twitter; Divinoids looks amazing!

Thank you very much! :)

Bullets / players with too large colliders is probably one of the most common mistakes. It happened to me as well, even knowing about it, and even though Divinoids isn't a bullet hell shooter.

Come to think of it, this is probably why many older games (NES and pre-NES, like older microcomputers) feel unfair today; the convention to use smaller colliders hadn't spread yet, but precisely because it hadn't, nobody at the time felt there was anything wrong with them, it's only the comparison with post-NES standards that makes them feel unplayable.

Last edited:

Alic

Oct 25, 2017
New to trying to twitter thing, and was trying to post a video today... how do you guys record/convert videos so twitter doesn't compress the hell out of them? Couldn't find an approach that didn't look like it might as well be 240x480 once I tweeted it. Have deleted the evidence.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Twitter gifs haven't worked for me in a while either. Kinda silly that it is fully broken.

It's Saturday but instead of a normal screenshot, here's my terrain LOD system under development. Every pixel in the height map is given a random color to make texel density easily visible.

URjYMGV.png

Terrain right next to the camera has one pixel for every ~19 inches while terrain farthest from the camera has one pixel for every ~820 feet. From the perspective of the player, this lets terrain look high quality up close and far away while only using one 512x512 texture.

Here is what it looks like when the camera is zoomed out to clearly show the change in texel density.

tDMNwbH.png

UV coordinates are adjusted in the shader to produce this effect. The sharp transition between densities could be smoothed with a custom equivalent of trilinear filtering.

My end goal with this approach is to render this texture procedurally as the player moves. My world is the size of Western Europe so this my method to get similar results to a 2,097,152x2,097,152 texture covering the whole map.

This is pretty cool tech. I have the intuition that the "sharp transition" will be much less noticeable on actual ground textures, especially once you enable plain ol' bilinear filtering back. It's not like the player can take a very close look at the separation between two zones, since they move with him. :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
New to trying to twitter thing, and was trying to post a video today... how do you guys record/convert videos so twitter doesn't compress the hell out of them? Couldn't find an approach that didn't look like it might as well be 240x480 once I tweeted it. Have deleted the evidence.

Twitter fucking sucks for video so the best you can get is "average to bad quality" (as opposed to Twitter's default potato quality). Things that seem to help are making as short a video as you can, and running them through an optimizer such as this:
Also, unless I'm imagining things, Twitter seems to actually store a moderate-quality version of one's videos; it just streams / reproduces them at a variable quality dictated by some mysterious algorithm. I've had the exact same video play on different qualities, often changing mid-playback.

If anyone has any further tips I'd love to hear them, because it's something I've been struggling against for the longest time.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts

URjYMGV.png

tDMNwbH.png

Your texel images remind me of an old clip map paper I tried (and failed) to read some time ago:

I like how you have a firm understanding of your pixel to world space conversion. Good job :)

Are you going to try out the trilinear filtering?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Could be a cookies issue, I've had to clear them before since no gifs at all would play. This worked for me. Though I would think going incognito/switching browser would have the same effect so it might not fix it.

That being said, the gif worked for me and it looks great! Nice work.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Weltall Zero your Twitter GIF works fine for me (Firefox/Linux) - and that is a wonderful transformation animation!
Could be a cookies issue, I've had to clear them before since no gifs at all would play. This worked for me. Though I would think going incognito/switching browser would have the same effect so it might not fix it.

That being said, the gif worked for me and it looks great! Nice work.

Thank you both! It's definitely not cookies, as per the incognito window and even using browsers I never use. It's super weird, like it's something at the OS level. It's been mystifying me for months and I can't find any solution that works no matter how much I browse for it.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty cool tech. I have the intuition that the "sharp transition" will be much less noticeable on actual ground textures, especially once you enable plain ol' bilinear filtering back. It's not like the player can take a very close look at the separation between two zones, since they move with him. :)

Thanks. When stationary it shouldn't look too bad, but I have a feeling that when moving the edges would stand out a lot more.

Your texel images remind me of an old clip map paper I tried (and failed) to read some time ago:

I like how you have a firm understanding of your pixel to world space conversion. Good job :)

Are you going to try out the trilinear filtering?

That's a great link!

I'm still going through it but it has some interesting things. Yes I'll try out trilinear filtering since it's pretty straightforward. I'm worried about performance though so I'll probably make it an option for players to set.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, I finally got motivated and in good enough shape/healthy enough to get back into game dev again. A very annoying, painful, and still ongoing, herniated disk as prevented me from doing anything like this over last 9 months...

Anyways, after long last, I can finally get back to getting my puzzle physics game, "Drop It: Block Paradise!" out to the public. Been working on it, off and on, since probably 2014 honestly. Was originally built for the Nintendo Wii U as an HTML5 game (using their Nintendo Web Framework engine). Things like burning out, getting married and other events have made me obviously miss out on releasing it for the Wii U of course. The game has honestly been done for 2 years now.

Now that I'm finally back into it, time to finally get it released. Technically already released it for PC app last Dec as an itch.io game. But if noone noticed it? Does it truly matter? Anyways, lol. I've decided to get it released on mobile/tablets. Since it's still an HTML game, I decided to use Adobe Cordova. Since yesterday I already got it up and running for Android and loaded onto my phone. And it runs well, really well. I was really worried it might be sluggish. Then again, it was a Wii U game of all things, what was I worried about? lol

While I did all the programming/logic, music & design was done by Camjo-Z

While I of course have lots to do, mainly UI stuff, things are looking good. UI will be the big thing I need to work with. Heck, can't even pause it currently lol. If I'm lucky maybe I can submit it for release after October.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question for anyone who has worked on mobile before, or just anyone with good ideas. I finally got the mobile game I've been working on to stick to Landscape and to fit around the image, but as you see their is extra space to the right. As my phone has more length to it, as most likely most phones will. The game uses a "720p" screen size for the whole game.

So what would be a good solution to deal with this extra space?

1. Stretch it? Going to assume this be a horrible idea.
2. Keep it black but center the game to middle?
3. Center game to middle but have some kind of extra art to left and right?
4. Something else?

So far leaning to #3. As there are sections of the game where their all no walls and the main object (the Star) can go beyond and isn't limited. And would just need extra contious art for different parts of the game/menus

Btw: Ignore the black bar to the left, that's just my phone. It's actually fully to the left with no extra space before it, only after.

Oct 25, 2017
Question for anyone who has worked on mobile before, or just anyone with good ideas. I finally got the mobile game I've been working on to stick to Landscape and to fit around the image, but as you see their is extra space to the right. As my phone has more length to it, as most likely most phones will. The game uses a "720p" screen size for the whole game.

4. Something else?

So far leaning to #3. As there are sections of the game where their all no walls and the main object (the Star) can go beyond and isn't limited. And would just need extra contious art for different parts of the game/menus

Btw: Ignore the black bar to the left, that's just my phone. It's actually fully to the left with no extra space before it, only after.

I think Option 3 would be the most flexible for different screen sizes.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

4. Something else?

Personally, I prefer 2; I often find border art distracting. But I'm know for my taste for minimalism so I might not be representative of most consumers.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
My world is the size of Western Europe
What is the speed of travelling then? This seems entirely unmanagable in terms of scope from designer, test and player perspective. Even with the fastest means of transportation, an airplane traveling from one end of western Europe to the other takes several hours. In a straight line...
So, I finally got motivated and in good enough shape/healthy enough to get back into game dev again. A very annoying, painful, and still ongoing, herniated disk as prevented me from doing anything like this over last 9 months...

Anyways, after long last, I can finally get back to getting my puzzle physics game, "Drop It: Block Paradise!" out to the public. Been working on it, off and on, since probably 2014 honestly. Was originally built for the Nintendo Wii U as an HTML5 game (using their Nintendo Web Framework engine). Things like burning out, getting married and other events have made me obviously miss out on releasing it for the Wii U of course. The game has honestly been done for 2 years now.

Now that I'm finally back into it, time to finally get it released. Technically already released it for PC app last Dec as an itch.io game. But if noone noticed it? Does it truly matter? Anyways, lol. I've decided to get it released on mobile/tablets. Since it's still an HTML game, I decided to use Adobe Cordova. Since yesterday I already got it up and running for Android and loaded onto my phone. And it runs well, really well. I was really worried it might be sluggish. Then again, it was a Wii U game of all things, what was I worried about? lol

While I did all the programming/logic, music & design was done by Camjo-Z

While I of course have lots to do, mainly UI stuff, things are looking good. UI will be the big thing I need to work with. Heck, can't even pause it currently lol. If I'm lucky maybe I can submit it for release after October.

Since you have it almost finished on Wii U, why not also release it on Wii U still?

Last edited:

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since you have it almost finished on Wii U, why not also release it on Wii U still?
Technically, not sure if I would be allowed to, as my licence with NoA expired (only lasted 5 years). But than again they are still selling my games even though should have been removed... So who knows.

I've been thinking about that a lot actually. I think it will mainly come down to if I ever completed the Wii U eManual and removed the online mentions/etc. If I did, than I might actually consider it. Else I would have to dig out my old broken laptop (never worked on my current one), open the very slow program and make changes, even if just removing things. So wouldn't be worth the effort.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Technically, not sure if I would be allowed to, as my licence with NoA expired (only lasted 5 years). But than again they are still selling my games even though should have been removed... So who knows.

I've been thinking about that a lot actually. I think it will mainly come down to if I ever completed the Wii U eManual and removed the online mentions/etc. If I did, than I might actually consider it. Else I would have to dig out my old broken laptop (never worked on my current one), open the very slow program and make changes, even if just removing things. So wouldn't be worth the effort.
I still have almost a year of US license and 1.5 years of NoE license left. If you finish the game in time for that and cannot get an extension from Nintendo, I would offer to submit / publish it on Wii U for you and giving the full revenue to you (minus possible international banking cost if any apply). Just send a PM to me when you are done, should you be interested.

When it comes to eManuals, it is permissible to make a "minimal" eManual, as long as the game is self-explanatory enough, which is less of an hour of work.

EDIT: Also to be able to use the eManual thing on your current laptop, just install DirectX 9.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
What is the speed of travelling then? This seems entirely unmanagable in terms of scope from designer, test and player perspective. Even with the fastest means of transportation, an airplane traveling from one end of western Europe to the other takes several hours. In a straight line...

You're absolutely right that for a traditional RPG a smaller map would be way better.

This game however is more simulation focused with every NPC an active agent at all times. The massive world is used to give that simulation more room to play out, replicating the feel of real medieval Europe. Players won't travel to the four corners of the map but activity in those regions can still influence them.

Status
Not open for further replies.