metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rl27hjn.png

Published by Hobonichi, Shigesato Itoi's company. No US/English edition announced as of yet but fingers crossed. Not sure how comprehensive this is or what it focuses on, but I have LONGED for a collected volume of Iwata Asks, or even something that preserves some of it physically ever since the series started. In my opinion there is no greater "behind the scenes" content in the industry.

The book is expected to feature Iwata's words originally published on Hobonichi's Japanese blog and Nintendo's site.

Looks like it'll be edited by Yasuhiro Nagata, who was a Famitsu writer for a long time. Even if this just focuses on the Iwata Asks / Itoi interviews I'll take it. If it's more than that, great, and if not, maybe it'll drum up interest in more.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck, this is awesome. I love the details Iwata would get into; every so often I remember Treasure scoffing at professional associates who can't handle their games or Link's long underwear.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I miss that series, Nintendo should bring it back with Koizumi or someone else. The book looks very charming and cute, perfect for Iwata.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Please bring it to the west. An Iwata Asks book has been something I've been wanting for forever, I'll pay good money if need be.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...there is literally nothing in the link saying it will include the Iwata Asks
The tweet says it gathers the words of Iwata from both sites, as does the article. There were a couple "crossover" Iwata Asks on both sites, where Itoi would lead one and Iwata would lead the other. There isn't a lot known as to the content of the book, but as I speculated in the OP if this is just a published version of that perhaps it could drum up interest in more.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The JP site lists the chapters of the book. Sounds more like a biography which also contains many of his interviews he's done for Nintendo and other places. It will also have words from Miyamoto and Itoi talking about Iwata.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The JP site lists the chapters of the book. Sounds more like a biography which also contains many of his interviews he's done for Nintendo and other places. It will also have words from Miyamoto and Itoi talking about Iwata.
I kind of figured it was more of a retrospective with selections as opposed to a verbatim copy of Iwata Asks, hence the curation and editor. But I do think that if this does well we could get more. I would love Iwata Asks - Unabridged or something. Do you have a link to that? I hadn't seen the Japanese site.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to say, there really isn't much info beyond the tweet I linked and the article which draws from that tweet. More info is coming but as I said above, I suspect this is a retrospective that includes content that I linked, content from Iwata Asks, info about Iwata's life, etc.

I will update the thread with more info when it comes out / as I find it!

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say, there really isn't much info beyond the tweet I linked and the article which draws from that tweet. More info is coming but as I said above, I suspect this is a retrospective that includes content that I linked, content from Iwata Asks, info about Iwata's life, etc.

I will update the thread with more info when it comes out / as I find it!
Might want to change it then before you get people hyped.

Oct 27, 2017
Hyped.
Read the thread. Less hyped.

I archived the official english and unofficial translations of IwataAsks (not professionally, I have no editing skills). It would be absolutely massive. Maybe one day I'll take the summer to learn layout/editing and have it printed.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hyped.
Read the thread. Less hyped.

I archived the official english and unofficial translations of IwataAsks (not professionally, I have no editing skills). It would be absolutely massive. Maybe one day I'll take the summer to learn layout/editing and have it printed.
I would buy that.

And hey, I was just going off the limited information I had and even still this is better than the nothing we had previously. Maybe. Who knows! More info is coming! I was excited too.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YES! those interviews are a fantastic window into game development and nintendo's history, and are done by the ONLY person who could have done them. fantastic to see they're getting immortalized in the form of a book.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Yes please! Hopefully they do an English version or someone steps up with unofficial translations.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Published by Itoi's company? That's pretty awesome as the materials they put out are high quality. Really hope it comes West.