• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people still think GG had any good opinions on what game journalism should be when a 8/10 for a game they like meant sending death threats, while an 8/10 for a game they didn't like meant the journalist slept with game devs or something.
I still can't believe that anybody would still toe the line that GG ever had a damn thing to do with ethics in games journalism. It was a harassment campaign from the start. You'd think that "Hoeg Law" would have done even a modicum of research but it's obvious he didn't.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
The actual problems in game journalism/reviews are all the opposite of what GG claimed: big corporations seeking favorable coverage for AAA games, not some secret cabal of indie developers arranging collusion.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In regards to that Colin Moriarty bit, racists fucking love Asians (especially the Japanese) because in their minds they're perfect examples of racial homogeneity and women knowing their place.

Well the other important thing I learned in this thread is that this game is by Avalanche Software, not Avalanche Studios Group.

We all know Avalanche Studios as the dev of Just Cause, Mad Max and Rage 2.

Avalanche Software is best known (or unknown) from a bunch of low budget Disney games.

And...Dragon Ball Z Sagas. 😬

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe that anybody would still toe the line that GG ever had a damn thing to do with ethics in games journalism. It was a harassment campaign from the start. You'd think that "Hoeg Law" would have done even a modicum of research but it's obvious he didn't.

The channel is probably some alt right channel.

The actual problems in game journalism/reviews are all the opposite of what GG claimed: big corporations seeking favorable coverage for AAA games, not some secret cabal of indie developers arranging collusion.

Lol it's ridiculous that people think Zoe Quinn had the power to manipulate everyone as an indie developer. Or that youtubers are more Fair™ and Trustworthy™ than the average reviewer who works for a website.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lol it's ridiculous that people think Zoe Quinn had the power to manipulate everyone as an indie developer. Or that youtubers are more Fair™ and Trustworthy™ than the average reviewer who works for a website.

The sheer amount of logical leaps Gamergate folks made never ceased to amaze me. Like the dudes who went after me at the height of GamerGate did it because I appeared on a podcast with one of their hate targets exactly one time. And I was a nobody back then, since it was well past my five seconds of Demon's Souls-borne internet fame.

They legit thought there was some kind of game-reviewer underworld cabal that partnered up with indie devs.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I kinda wish a developer would one day be exposed to have a history of being anti-white and anti-male behavior just so I can see all those "who cares, only the game matters" people suddenly demand that person be cancelled.

Actually hasn't there been something similar in the past? Guild Wars 2 I think. The gamers that demanded the person be fired are probably the ones defending Troy.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people still think GG had any good opinions on what game journalism should be when a 8/10 for a game they like meant sending death threats, while an 8/10 for a game they didn't like meant the journalist slept with game devs or something.
The real "game journalism is bad" take is that game journalist sites and site owners don't care enough for their employees, with tight deadlines and not enough pay being among the big issues with game journalism.

But it puts blame on the system that abuses capitalism and not the symptoms, and doesn't give an excuse to harass women, minorities, and people that defend women and minorities, so of course GG avoids that.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kinda wish a developer would one day be exposed to have a history of being anti-white and anti-male behavior just so I can see all those "who cares, only the game matters" people suddenly demand that person be cancelled.

Actually hasn't there been something similar in the past? Guild Wars 2 I think. The gamers that demanded the person be fired are probably the ones defending Troy.
We don't even need Devs to come out like that.

If a game Stars a Queer Character, Person of Color, or Person with Disabilities those pieces of human refuse act like they are being oppressed anyway.

Let's not forget how fragile they where and demanded that Ashley, Laura, and Neil all be fired over the TLOUP2 all because their precious wasn't the lead anymore.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone fill me in on Hoeg Law in relation to all this? Saw his name mentioned a few times in this thread.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Oh that is certainly the thing. Just like Cyberpunk, they'll flip on in it in a second if there's anything they perceive as a problem.

Though for better or worse I think it's more likely that it's just a kinda mediocre licensed game? Feel like it won't live up their hype at all, and will likely fade from discussion sooner rather than later despite how big it theoretically is, but still be able to coast by on that. Though maybe it'll have framerate issues or like... weird handling of how students appear/disappear or something, that kind of weird specific thing that people get worked up over, dunno. Guess we'll see.

I think there are people who are big fans but not actively in the fandom, so to speak, who might not be hearing much about her. That being said, there are big mainstream sites openly talking about her negatively at this point, so I'd still think a lot more people have heard about it than you might expect.

Good on you on telling them and them for, if nothing else, already being conflicted about it, I guess.
I'm torn myself. Big Harry Potter fan but not a JK Rowling fan now.

I don't know what ill end up doing.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Wow. The fact WB knew about this and just let it slide. Really bad look for WB.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
im just confused why people are expecting anything at all from the company making a harry potter game.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps Hoeg's Law should be an adage for feeling a need to make increasingly asinine takes the longer your video goes on. Since 'intolerance of misogyny is the real toxicity' and 'transphobia is beneficial to society' seem to be particularly creative in their stupidity.

You have a time stamp for that?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone fill me in on Hoeg Law in relation to all this? Saw his name mentioned a few times in this thread.
Hoeg Law made a video about this whole situation. Only he either decided to be lazy to hurry up with his shit take, or he is knowingly and willfully presenting a pro-Gamergate and transphobic standpoint to his audience.

A breakdown of the video is as follows:

This video is indefensible.

-Doesn't even acknowledge the trans community or any of the comments/action of Rowling
-Doesn't acknowledge that buying the game further funds her attacks on the trans community
-Writes off her words and actions as "a difference of opinion"
-Mocks era for suggesting that we ban discussions of the game
-Writes off gamergate harassment as a handful of bad apples that gamergate can't be held responsible for
-Pretends like conservatives are being attacked simply for being conservative and not for their bigoted views
-People with "differing opinions" just need to have a conversation! So i guess trans people just need to talk it out with JK rowling and women just need to talk it out with gamer gaters i guess?
-Shouts out neogaf
-High fives Colin Moriarty in his twitter replies to the video

My goodness.

Policy Regarding Hogwarts Legacy and Future Threads

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

This is the first time we've done something like this and we consider this a very exceptional case. It's not just one bigoted game designer that made the difference here. JK Rowling's singular reach and influence, how closely that influence is tied to the Harry Potter IP, and what she chooses to do with that power, is a unique problem on top of this latest controversy.

We're going to revisit whether to have an OT much closer to the game's release. Learning from what happened with Cyberpunk, if there is an OT, it will have a text-only OP created by staff that lays out the controversy with the game and IP. The main reason to have an OT at all is the same one we've articulated before: Some minority members want a space to discuss the game's contents where they will not be shouted down by bigots.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

This is the first time we've done something like this and we consider this a very exceptional case. It's not just one bigoted game designer that made the difference here. JK Rowling's singular reach and influence, how closely that influence is tied to the Harry Potter IP, and what she chooses to do with that power, is a unique problem on top of this latest controversy.

We're going to revisit whether to have an OT much closer to the game's release. Learning from what happened with Cyberpunk, if there is an OT, it will have a text-only OP created by staff that lays out the controversy with the game and IP. The main reason to have an OT at all is the same one we've articulated before: Some minority members want a space to discuss the game's contents where they will not be shouted down by bigots.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.

This is good. Glad to see it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That is great to hear. Thank you.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

This is good, game has no place getting an ounce of promoting here. Personally not totally sure about the OT aspect, but definitely understand why.

And thank you for going through all the effort for this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Thanks for the update.

Oct 26, 2017

VERY well done! :D

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

This is great to see. Thanks.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

A heartfelt thank you to yourself and all the staff here for this step. It means a lot.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

This is great, thank you!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Noice.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

Wow! Awesome work. Thank you. ❤️

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This is really good to hear, thank you for taking these steps.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

This is for the best! Especially after the debacle with the previous game.

Definitely the best way to handle it, at least in my opinion

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love this, game doesn't need a circle jerk of threads here. If people want the game they can get it and if they wanna discuss it they can do it elsewhere

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Good call about the banning of topics for this game.

One of the reasons why GG has been so effective is that the gaming community at-large is perfectly okay with throwing journalists under the bus.
Sad, but true. You can even see a lot of that on this very forum from time to time. It's pretty disgusting.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017

Some good fucking food right here.
I like it.

Thank you.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you; I'm glad y'all reached this decision.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Fantastic decision from you all. Seriously, thank you.