Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I find anyone using the word witch hunt these days is suspect considering the kind of people who have been using it recently (like traitorous former presidents)

Nov 4, 2017
When their post started with
"Look I'm by no means alt-right nor a trump supporter or Pro Gamergate/Anti SJW or whatever, but..."
I didn't bother with the rest.
I think this is sound advice for life in general. If somebody starts with "I'm not racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/a nazi/anti-Semitic/etc but...", I'm just going to walk away.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's very good news, I'm surprised they were able to do that with little miss gender critical overseeing everything.

Guessing her crusade isnt as important as money.

Still not supporting it. Fuck JK Rowling. Glad some of the people working on the game have a good conscience.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
Regardless of the intention behind the decision (I do hope that it's truly because they believe in supporting the LGBT community, but it could very well be a marketing decision to offset the criticism regarding Rowling's views, and Levity' sad well), it's a good thing that they pushed for this and they were able to implement it, if this is truly happening.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda just proof, I feel, that there's more than one designer working on the game and just because one of them is a horrible person doesn't mean they all are. Credit where it's due, that is a pretty fantastic option for the game to include. Still pretty confident I won't be getting the game as long as Rowling sees even a penny of my money, but this is the right thing to do and they definitely had to do it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda just proof, I feel, that there's more than one designer working on the game and just because one of them is a horrible person doesn't mean they all are. Credit where it's due, that is a pretty fantastic option for the game to include. Still pretty confident I won't be getting the game as long as Rowling sees even a penny of my money, but this is the right thing to do and they definitely had to do it.
No one at all was saying that every single person that worked on the game is a piece of shit. It's the fact that so many people have used that as a way to deflect or even gaslight when people bring up the boycott of the game.

Deleted member 69942

Banned
May 22, 2020
Regardless of the intention behind the decision (I do hope that it's truly because they believe in supporting the LGBT community, but it could very well be a marketing decision to offset the criticism regarding Rowling's views, and Levity' sad well), it's a good thing that they pushed for this and they were able to implement it, if this is truly happening.

I mean in the end Harry Potter as a franchise is still big. So where I do hope that this isnt just a marketing ploy. The fact that a game that probably will sell well because of the franchise it is part off does this is just a win in my book. There are enough people that dont know about Rowlings bad takes and even less about the producer of the game.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are for sure multiple designers, and multiple lead designers as well. That happens in every AAA game. For example, there's lead level designer, lead gameplay designer, there might be leads for specific areas (mini-games, combat, etc). Above them all there's the creative director.

But in this case specifically, the guy is actually a producer. His LinkedIn wasn't accurate.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one at all was saying that every single person that worked on the game is a piece of shit. It's the fact that so many people have used that as a way to deflect or even gaslight when people bring up the boycott of the game.

Why are you coming at me so aggressively? I haven't accused anyone of ever saying anything like that, so I'd rather you didn't start accusing me of deflecting criticisms or gaslighting people. I know what it's like to be gaslit and it's a horrible thing for anyone to go through so you should be more careful about who you accuse of what.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Not going to change my stance on the game, but good on some of the devs at least.

The irony of this will be that the royalties and/or influence JK will be leveraging from this bit of much needed inclusionary feature in the title and the goodwill it will generate, will very likely go towards perpetuating more anti-trans rhetoric and pushing for anti-trans policies through her socio-political clout.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you coming at me so aggressively? I haven't accused anyone of ever saying anything like that, so I'd rather you didn't start accusing me of deflecting criticisms or gaslighting people. I know what it's like to be gaslit and it's a horrible thing for anyone to go through so you should be more careful about who you accuse of what.
I wasn't coming at you or accusing you specifically of doing that, just pointing out that especially earlier in this thread and in the other Hogwarts threads, it happened way too much. This is a good thing to see, but makes me concerned now that some people are going to use it as a scapegoat to say that the game is fine to get and that people overreacted. Again not you, but I was just thinking about it.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
My main question about this whole thing is:

The guy is a producer, and must have women on his team.

How in the fuck does this company employ a guy who makes videos about how women are ruining the gaming industry and allow him to manage women on his team?

Not only morally, but isn't that a massive lawsuit risk? Does Utah not have workplace discrimination laws?

You would think at the very least they would make him "apologize" and take his videos off of youtube.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of this will be that the royalties and/or influence JK will be leveraging from this bit of much needed inclusionary feature in the title and the goodwill it will generate, will very likely go towards perpetuating more anti-trans rhetoric and pushing for anti-trans policies through her socio-political clout.

Warner Bros. should, at the very least, match Rowling's royalties with an equal or greater donation to Mermaids and other similar charities. That would be the right thing to do if they can't just, y'know, not give Rowling any money at all.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Warner Bros. should, at the very least, match Rowling's royalties with an equal or greater donation to Mermaids and other similar charities. That would be the right thing to do if they can't just, y'know, not give Rowling any money at all.
I was gonna say, I have zero interest in getting this but hearing that there was a direct counter to the fact of Rowling's potential profits by a donation to charity would make me feel much better about its existence

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

How in the fuck does this company employ a guy who makes videos about how women are ruining the gaming industry and allow him to manage women on his team?

Not only morally, but isn't that a massive lawsuit risk? Does Utah not have workplace discrimination laws?

You would think at the very least they would make him "apologize" and take his videos off of youtube.
You say this like as if the entire industry doesn't systematically discriminate against women, and queer people, and people of color. Dudes just like this run everything. The people who could fire him absolutely believe the same shit. Most aren't dumb enough to make videos about it as a side gig, but their politics are the same. And they actively protect other men like themselves.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest: it is objectively good to see that kind of gender option in character creation, but it's kinda a laughable response when not only Rowling but now this guy are still attached.

If it truly was an internal push vs Warner going for good PR that makes it a bit better but... doesn't really change anything.

It is the constant excuse that people in threads like this drone on and on about, and it sounded like you were immediately rushing to continue it even though you apparently weren't.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

They do what they do in so many other industry situations like this: act like unfeeling cowards & do nothing. Minorities on the team are forced to bite their tongues or potentially be ostracized by others in the apparatus who ignore, enable or actively participate in the exact same bigotry.

May 26, 2018
Still only supporting the inclusion of trans people in a virtual setting while continuing to actively hurt them in reality. Also feel this will be used as a cheap excuse to continue punching down at anyone who criticizes... basically any aspect of this mess. That they gave an impossibly generous olive branch and how dare anyone say anything.

Sorry, this just doesn't feel right to me :/

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Troy is still employed there says it all though. WB doesn't really care.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good on the devs for pushing for it and doing what they can internally. This is where character creators should be in 2021 and they're helping that. Sadly it doesn't change anything at large though. It's still a product tied to an IP that aids in harming trans people and no amount of digital trans Wizards or Witches will counteract that.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good on the devs for pushing for it and doing what they can internally. This is where character creators should be in 2021 and they're helping that. Sadly it doesn't change anything at large though. It's still a product tied to an IP that aids in harming trans people and no amount of digital trans Wizards or Witches will counteract that.
Echo your exact sentiments Kyuuji. While it's good to see there is some people on the dev team pushing for representation on the game the franchise it's based on is inextricably linked to its creator and that is not going to change. And that is made even worse when one of its led devs is a gamergater moron who the publisher responsible for the game continues to protect.

Nov 2, 2017
You know, donating to charity is pretty good, but a lot of people here seem to be treating charitable donations as basically the equivalent of the Catholic Church selling indulgences and it's starting to get kinda gross.

Giving money to an actively harmful force isn't a thing you just offset by giving an equal sum to people fighting that harm. Sure, I gave $75 to an arsonist I knew was probably going to use that support to purchase matches and gasoline, but don't worry, I also spread an equal amount of donations to the local firefighters and also the gofundmes of people whose houses were burned down by the arsonist, so it's all good!

Jun 5, 2018
It doesn't change the fact that buying the game give financial support to a dangerous TERF who has a massive platform so my stance hasn't changed that said as others have mentioned the sad reality is this game will sell millions because millions don't know or care enough about the danger the author presents to trans lives, if however indirectly those who buy it regardless or unknowingly get more accustomed to a more diverse character creator and even a single person grows even a little more tolerant as a result there's a silver lining here though it's a small sliver amidst this poisoned series.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Money leads to power which can lead to (horrifying) influence.

Though, for the devs inside who have pushed for interactive inclusiveness, their backs may as well be against the wall, thus they no choice but try.

Probably aware all this is harm reduction since these features won't save trans women from the UK government but...try as they will anyways.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is unquestionably a good thing. But it doesn't change the fact that she is profiting off this game and it doesn't change the fact that Troy Leavitt is still with the company.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Still only supporting the inclusion of trans people in a virtual setting while continuing to actively hurt them in reality. Also feel this will be used as a cheap excuse to continue punching down at anyone who criticizes... basically any aspect of this mess. That they gave an impossibly generous olive branch and how dare anyone say anything.

Sorry, this just doesn't feel right to me :/

Indeed. It's the only thing I've ever been able to think of when people mentioned putting trans-inclusive stuff in the game. The only thing this will actually accomplish in the long run is that it'll give JK's supporters something to point to so they can say "But look, she's not a transphobe, she just has genuine concerns!". It doesn't matter if she's not personally involved in the development - UK anti-trans campaigners can and will twist anything to suit their narrative.

Jul 5, 2019
While the devs were likely well-intentioned, something about this feels downright insidious. "You can be trans in our game :)" being used as a marketing point for a game that will stuff money into the pockets of one of the most influential and dangerous anti-trans perpetrators is just so disingenious. It's like a way to trick folks back into supporting the game, ignoring that the legislation Rowling has used her wealth and platform to push for is actually going to cause trans people to die, and likely already has.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
While the devs were likely well-intentioned, something about this feels downright insidious. "You can be trans in our game :)" being used as a marketing point for a game that will stuff money into the pockets of one of the most influential and dangerous anti-trans perpetrators is just so disingenious. It's like a way to trick folks back into supporting the game, ignoring that the legislation Rowling has used her wealth and platform to push for is actually going to cause trans people to die, and likely already has.
I don't think it's been used for marketing, atleast yet? As I understand this is coming from Jason's sources, it's not something WB or the studio has publicly shared. From the article: The people requested anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak to the press. It's probably same people who have been pushing for the inclusion that are mentioned here

Last edited:

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Not going to change my stance on the game, but good on some of the devs at least.

I want to personally thank the people who pushed for this in a well meaning way.

However as a TransWoman I do absolutely fear that this is used as a shield (not by the people who pushed for It) by leads.

If the game gives you a way to share the information that you are Trans with those close to you, and depending on how people react to it then I'll believe it was well intended.

If there is nothing deeper than having a high pitched voice and the Witch designation on the "Masculine" body type and it never allows you to speak of it in the world, then it's not inclusive at least to me.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
remember when Cyberpunk was pushing how progressive they were with gender and genetalia and stuff and it turned out to be mostly bunk

Jul 5, 2019
I don't think it's been used for marketing, atleast yet? As I understand this is coming from Jason's sources, it's not something WB or the studio has publicly shared. From the article: The people requested anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak to the press. It's probably same people who have been pushing for the inclusion that are mentioned here

It's not being marketed now but if it's a feature in the game, it will almost certainly be marketed in the future. While the developers themselves may have come up with the idea, the JKR and GamerGate-supporting upper staff still had to approve of it; likely not out of genuine reasons if their views have anything to say about it, but for easy PR to shield this game from criticism.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's not being marketed now but if it's a feature in the game, it will almost certainly be marketed in the future. While the developers themselves may have come up with the idea, the JKR and GamerGate-supporting upper staff still had to approve of it; likely not out of genuine reasons if their views have anything to say about it, but for easy PR to shield this game from criticism.
Yeah true, they definitely can go that route.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does it feel like seeing people bringing up witch hunts is a shot at this topic?

www.resetera.com

PlayStation - " The PS5 version of Oddworld: Soulstorm is one of your PlayStation Plus games for April!"

I remember reading about the games back in the 90's, these games are actually really grim. If you sit down and read what he was talking about and what the game was about it really did open the eyes a bit. Oddworld closed their doors because they got fucked by Microsoft. Literally the company...

Apparently now just simply asking if the person in charge of a small game has toxic views is a witch hunt and people would be worried about Era as a government.
There's always someone to do backflips to defend assholes while moaning "think of the poor devs" and "so much for the tolerant left". Been seeing them all for long enough now.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
man i did NOT know that stuff about lorne lanning, bummer that he's a garbage man. anyway, this Hogwarts Legacy info changes zero about my not playing this game. like sorry dude the money's still going to joanne

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

As a result, some members of the Hogwarts Legacy development team have fought to make the game as inclusive as possible, pushing for the character customization and even for a transgender character to be added. There was resistance from management at first, the people familiar with the project said, but currently the character customization is included in the game. A Warner Bros. spokesperson declined to comment.

There is a long road ahead where this can backfire/be a canceled feature or just canceled by jk =P

I will wait for it to release to congrat them on doing the bare minimum and still not buying and thinking slightly lower of all the people who bough it

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, that's nice and all, but I can't help but feel the most affect it will have is little more than giving an out for people who want to enjoy the game without really engaging with the idea they are supporting a bigot.

Like good job to the Devs who pushed for it, but it's plugging a hole on a car's tire while the engine is on fire.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It is a nice gesture, but gestures like those don't mean a whole lot when you employ people like Troy Levitt...

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Even if everyone working on the game was a saint I still wouldn't touch it with who the IP is owned by. I still feel bad for playing CP2077 despite getting to do so for free.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I with with a guy who went to the Trump rally on January 6. I found out via another coworker. He's a hard worker, kind to co workers, and broadly an asset to the company. It is utterly mystifying

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
That's very good news, I'm surprised they were able to do that with little miss gender critical overseeing everything.

Guessing her crusade isnt as important as money.

Still not supporting it. Fuck JK Rowling. Glad some of the people working on the game have a good conscience.
This isn't a reason to buy it, but it is a plus in regards to reaching the crowd who were wholly ignorant of what was going on with the game behind the scenes. The outcry had an affect and this is one situation where the "gonna buy it anyways" numbers are gonna work in favor of social justice. Rowling was gonna get her money one way or another, but now another major title is going to decouple options from gender, giving future games less excuse not to do so.