• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So when I was in college, Holga cameras, those being the cheap, plastic cameras from China that allowed all kinds of unique warping and distortion due to their oftentimes admittedly subpar build quality, were all the rage. I still have a Holga 120N sitting on my shelf, although I haven't used it in years. I remember there being a lot of eventual pushback against the whole Holga/lo-fi wave by purists who claimed that the trend was by and large pictures of little to no skill that attempted to get by on the unique image warping and colors that were in actuality nothing more than the result of sub-par hardware. Well, we now we live in an time where pictures of everyday items distorted by filters are as close as your own phone is in reach. So I was curious to get Era's opinion. Are there those in photography-Era who still use Holga devices? Are there those who are opposed to their use? And how does photography-Era feel about a growing culture where everything can be instantly photographed and filtered and Instagramed and offered up for others judgement?

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I love my Holga 120 and Holga 120 3D! They easily produce great images. Too bad they stopped making them. Lomography's comparable products like the Diana+ are WAY worse in my experience.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Do I use one? No, but being 100% real?
There is no such thing as being an image purist. Obviously, there are cameras out there that are going to take better pictures but it doesn't really matter. I have two requirements when taking a picture.
A.) Was I able to obtain the look and feel I wanted?
B.) Will I, or my client, look back on this picture, and if so what will I/they feel? If I/they enjoy the photo then it's 100% a great photo.

I have the absolute blessing to have access to a Hasselblad H6D and a range of Sony Mirrorless systems thanks to work, but I will never, ever EVER criticize someone for taking a picture with what they have/what they want. What's important is that you're out there takin' pictures and having fun. Anyone who tells you that your camera aint good enough/the aesthetic you're aiming for in a photo is wrong doesn't like photography. They're an asshole with money and they probably take shitty photos.

If you like the look, get out there and use that thing fam.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't even aware of these things before this thread. I'm seriously considering picking one up right now after doing a bit of research.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Do I use one? No, but being 100% real?
There is no such thing as being an image purist. Obviously, there are cameras out there that are going to take better pictures but it doesn't really matter. I have two requirements when taking a picture.
A.) Was I able to obtain the look and feel I wanted?
B.) Will I, or my client, look back on this picture, and if so what will I/they feel? If I/they enjoy the photo then it's 100% a great photo.

I have the absolute blessing to have access to a Hasselblad H6D and a range of Sony Mirrorless systems thanks to work, but I will never, ever EVER criticize someone for taking a picture with what they have/what they want. What's important is that you're out there takin' pictures and having fun. Anyone who tells you that your camera aint good enough/the aesthetic you're aiming for in a photo is wrong doesn't like photography. They're an asshole with money and they probably take shitty photos.

If you like the look, get out there and use that thing fam.
That's a great sentiment, and perfectly captures what drew me towards Holga cameras in the first place. Thanks!