Better game?

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 893 63.6%
  • Ori

Votes: 511 36.4%

• Total voters

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Most of the people think WotW is superior Ori game so I chosed this against the HK. Haven't finished both but I think I prefer Ori.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority that has the two Ori games in my favorite of all time, and I think Hollow Knight is just hilariously overrated. Like, ridiculously so. It's a small club, but we're mighty

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's like a premium steak versus a really good burger. Hollow Knight is complete top of class in its field, Ori is great but I don't think it compares.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I dropped HK after a few hours and I LOVE metroidvanias. Unpopular opinion but for me Ori is much better in every aspect.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'd love to revisit Ori and confirm as it's been awhile and I've only played them once each… but based on my recollection Hollow Knight is a healthy step above Ori 2, which itself is an upgrade from 1.

All great games though, easy to recommend any of them

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ori, by far. I got bored by HK like 2-3 hours in, then I learned it was long as fuck and convoluted by design, so yeah, never looked back.

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
Hollow Knight is a top 10 game. I dropped Ori early on, but I should give it another shot.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ori for me personally… a bit more accessible, focused, and digestible. It's also still the most stunning game I've ever played visually and the soundtrack is sublime. It just ticks all the boxes for me.

Nov 23, 2023
I hate that part in the Ori games where you have to run because the level is getting destroyed or you're being chased by something, I forget which one so it's Hollow Knight for me.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
The Ori games are very, very good Metroidvanias.

Hollow Knight is in contention for the best game of all time.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Hollow Knight is going to win this poll - and I'd probably give it the nod too. But they are going for vastly different things, despite operating in a roughly similar frame.

Ori is exceptional at what it tries to do.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
ori is incredible, amazing, but hollow knight is a masterpiece gameplay wise, lore wise, secrets wise, is just incredible in every sense, in my opinion waaay superior to ori

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
HK is significantly better as a game imo, Ori is fun but way less replayable and significantly easier.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through Ori right now and really enjoying it.

I've tried Hollow Knight a dozen different times and I just don't think I like it. Which is weird because on paper, it's right up my alley. But I just don't find it very fun. It's pretty but monotonous.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Ori all day every day. No Metroidvania even comes close on a platforming level. Hollow Knight is exceptional but my personal taste will always go with Ori.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
WotW is a much improved sequel to an already great game backed by Microsofts money and an 80 person dev team and it's going to lose to a game made by 3 people in a broom closet with a Kickstarter

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Neither of the games are that interesting in a platformer sense. Where it's more of the same double jumps, air dashes, etc. Though I remember Hollow Knight having some cool challenge rooms at least

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Ori is good but still felt like it had more style over substance. Hollow Knight is absolutely amazing back to front.

Dylan M.

Feb 11, 2020
Hollow Knight, and it's not even remotely close. There are times where a work simply achieves so much that is becomes almost impossible to compare it to its genre-peers. The depth, precision, and breath of nearly everything Hollow Knight sets out to achieve is really significantly above any other 2D metroidvania I'm aware of.

It even has much more interesting themes than other metroidvanias, employing light and dark as a kind of Hegelian dialectic wherein the player's control of the 'vessel' character inserts some subtle meta-narrative work calling the player into the role of 'dream' and 'void,' and various characters put you in conversation with that.

Ori is great, but it's much hokier (I'd argue much more traditional and 'comforting' thematically—and more strictly commercial) and not as ambiguous a game as Hollow Knight, leaning much more into set-piece design and spectacle, which is fine but just doesn't compare as favorably to a something like Hollow Knight if we're asking which is 'better.'

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Tried Hollow Knight twice and couldn't stand it. Maybe I'll try again one day

Ori for me

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I love Ori and Moon Studios nails the 2D metroidvania level design and map. The games are beautiful. The lighting and animations are excellent. Will of the Wisp runs at 120 fps to boot. They are great platformer gamers with a couple of difficulty spikes. However you can 100% both Ori games in less time that it takes to beat HK on a regular run. HK offers much greater build variety and it's more combat focused. It took a while for me to warm up to HK but once I did I absolutely adored it. It's my favorite indie metroidvania.

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
I love basically everything about Hollow Knight, I love almost everything about Ori so I'm going to edge it out to HK.