• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
header4wr4l.png

Descend into the Dark
Beneath the fading town of Dirtmouth sleeps an ancient, forgotten kingdom. Many are drawn beneath the surface searching for riches, or glory, or answers to old secrets. As the enigmatic Hollow Knight, you'll traverse the depths, unravel its mysteries and conquer its evils.

Platforms: PC (Linux, Windows, Mac), Switch
Release Date:
PC: (Linux, Windows) February 24th, 2017
Mac: March 28th, 2017
Switch: June 12th, 2018
PS4/XB1: September 25th, 2018
Price: $14.99/£10.99​
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical (Physical coming Spring 2019)
Developer: Team Cherry
File Size: 9GB (PC), 3.5GB (Switch)

infol8oru.png

What kind of game is this?
Hollow Knight is a 2D platformer in the vein of Metroid where you will move through a, hand-drawn, interconnected world while gaining abilities and combating enemies.

What are some of the features/mechanics in Hollow Knight?
A Hunter's Journal that you can add each of the
enemies and
bosses to, a Dream Nail that allows you to leap into the minds of NPCs/enemies and equippable charms that offer bizarre new powers and abilities.

Are there unlockable modes?
Beating the game will unlock Steel Soul Mode which is described as "the ultimate challenge".

Does the Switch Version include all the previous PC updates?
Yes, the Switch version includes all content updates (Hidden Dreams, The Grimm Troupe and Lifeblood) from the PC release.

Is Hollow Knight coming to other platforms not already listed?
Team Cherry has stated the game is possibly coming to other platforms in the future.

Are there still more content updates coming to the game?
Gods & Glory, the "final chapter of the Knight's journey" is coming this year and includes....
  • New Character and Quest – The Godseeker arrives (and your romance options expand). Track down this disturbing yet alluring being, break her chains and aid her in an ancient duty.
  • New Boss Fights – Hallownest's greatest warriors raise their blades. Prepare yourself for giant new boss fights against the ultimate foes. Each new battle intertwines with the Godseeker's quest. No specifics on how that'll happen, but it may not be as you expect!
  • New Game Mode – Hollow Knight receives a third game mode. This ones been long requested and is a classic for the genre. Complete the Gods & Glory story to unlock the new mode.
  • New Music – Christopher Larkin is going all out for Hollow Knight's final free pack, with new soaring boss tracks and giant remixes of some beloved classics.
  • Glorify Charms – Prove yourself and uncover a whole new depth to your charm collection.
How long is it?
Around 30 hours to complete, 40-50 hours to 100% it. And then there are still some optional parts (DLC and stuff) that add a whole other couple of hours.

trailersq9r1d.png

1-copyfxoxo.jpg
2-copyq0oz3.jpg
3-copy26p5o.jpg

4-copyvcrv7.jpg
5-copyy9qh2.jpg
6-copy4oo6m.jpg

reviewsagp1t.png

Metacritic

Destructoid 10/10
Hollow Knight is not only what I'd say is the best game so far this year, it also very well may be the best metroidvania title out there right now, and it is easily one of my favorite games of all-time. Truly a masterpiece of gaming if there ever was one, and certainly art worthy of being in a museum.

PC Gamer 92/10
The more effort I put into it, the more Hollow Knight rewarded me with thrilling challenges and beautiful, storied caverns to discover. I reached 100% completion practically by accident. I just wanted to keep exploring all the mysteries the world had to offer me—and I still managed to completely miss the Mr. Mushroom side quest without knowing it—but others could happily choose to stop sooner and it would still be worth the journey. I overlooked it initially, but 35 hours later I can confidently say Hollow Knight is one of the best games I've played.

linksn7rn3.png

Steam
GOG
Switch

Last edited:

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
My goty thus far. I had a lot of fun getting all achievements. Right after beating it, I played again to speedrun it. Then to do the soul steel speed run and completion run. Never got bored or tired.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping this does manage to get onto the Switch by the end of this year, I've been dying to play this since launch.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Dirtmouth theme so much. It feels so melancholic, but at the same time welcoming. I guess in contrast to Hallownest below, it's actually a cozy place.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I still haven't got around to playing the DLC yet. Fantastic game though. Highly recommend it to any one who is on the fence.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea of how to access the DLC?

I'm reading about people having to save scum because it has a point of no return, and two possible outcomes - in order to 100% you'll have to load a separate save.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First DLC wasn't that good and didn't add anything worthwhile to be honest. Will definitely boot the game up today for the new "major quest".

Cozmo

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I've been playing for an hour now and I really like it. The music, the art and the characters. Charming and beautiful.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hello you all, just a quick question : how the Grimm troupe integrate in the existing game ? Can I access it with my end-game save or do I need to restart ?

Loved the base game to pieces. My 2017 GOTY.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Jeej, found this thread again.

Put the game on the backburner and recently got back to it. I really didn't know where to go so I searched every possible space on the maps and found a new area.

Then I died lol.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A new Hollow Knight thread, good

Been playing it again recently, and it's as amazing as ever. There's nothing else I've played that quite has its atmosphere. That organic Gothic style.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished up my first run through of the game, wow.

Struggled with it a little at first, I felt pretty under equipped for the first hour or two which isn't abnormal for these Metroidvania style games but it felt like more of a hindrance here than in others I have played. Once it clicked though I really came around. Such a unique experience and some of the greatest NPCs I've seen in a game (lookin' at you Myla, you adorable little thing).

My only major complaint is that I felt a few of the boss fights are a bit messy, technically. Unpredictable movements (like jumping) or spamming projectile attacks from offscreen so you can't see them coming are the two big issues I had, but a few bad bosses can be overlooked.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Holy shit. I was holding my breath during some of this. Wow.

My only major complaint is that I felt a few of the boss fights are a bit messy, technically. Unpredictable movements (like jumping) or spamming projectile attacks from offscreen so you can't see them coming are the two big issues I had, but a few bad bosses can be overlooked.

I thought this way as well but later I discovered I missed the shade cloak which allowed me to dodge through projectiles/enemies that were otherwise impossible to avoid.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Finally returned back to Dirtmouth after several hours, now with the dash and wall-jump

I love that you're rewarded for going back to the starting area and using your new skills to climb up, thus being able to reach a whole new area in Howling Cliffs

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I usually never double dip when it comes to games, but I'll definitely buy this one when it comes to Switch. GotY candidate for sure.

Cozmo

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
God damn it this game has some incredible moments. I'm nearing the end game now and there's been some emotional, sad and somber stuff but this one got me hard:

Marmu. I felt sad after the first dialogue:

Oh! The Queen! The Queen is coming! I've been waiting so long, and now she's almost here! I feel like I'm about to burst!

I've kept it safe, this sacred garden! I've kept it safe for all this time, and soon the Queen will return and teach me to fly!

Shall we wait together, stranger? Shall we play together?

Started crying after the second one:

Oh, stranger... you're strong. Much stronger than me...

I've been waiting a long time, stranger. I've been fighting a long time, stranger.

I'm very, very tired! The Queen will be here soon, and I just need to sleep a little.

Wake me when the Queen arrives, stranger. Perhaps the Queen will teach us both to fly, stranger!

That... would be fun... wouldn't it...?

Also Myla. Why?

I'm not done yet but this is the game of the year for me. Such a fantastic world filled with amazing characters, wonderful music, great level design and a level of detail I did not expect.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even close to being done but yeah this is my GOTY too tbh. Absolutely incredible game.

Do we know what else Team Cherry has in store for the game regarding updates and DLC. I know we're getting playable hornet but what else, is there NG+?

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Have about 50 hours in this game on PC, collecting all the upgrades so i could beat the colosseum of fools. After beating it decided I gonna buy this game on the Switch so didn't finish the game just yet. With the DLC coming out still have a lot of fresh content to explore :) Easily my Game of the Year.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Have been playing a good bit of Hollow Knight these past few days, good game to be sure. I'm a bit of a weirdo when it comes to ''Metroidvanias''. I don't really care all that much for Symphony of the Night (tho it's ok) or Super Metroid for instance, two of the most revered ones for the genre. But I absolutely adored Guacamelee and now this, I suppose it's the mobility and the type of combat.

Funny thing is I feel like I'm going totally off the rails from where I'm supposed to be going tho that is part of the charm.

I was at the Mantis Village and all was going well, I died once to the boss there and the other adventurer guy whose name escapes me tells that I should get a new weapon and such. Well, sure, I go searching for the smith guy he was talking about and I feel like I went in a completely weird direction there. I went all the way to the Resting Place (I think that's what it's called), got the Dream Nail, fought at the Coliseum of Fools ect. Exploration sure feels on point for now.

This definately has the chance of ranking pretty high for me when it comes to personal GOTYs, didn't really expect to like it as much as I do for now at least.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I wonder if it's ''intentional'' exploit that you can trigger some levers beyond locked gates by using the dash attack. At least it hasn't been patched or anything.

Played a good chunk today. I wonder if I have totally missed where I could get a new weapon/upgrade my current weapon. I feel like I'm closing in toward the end of the game.

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
The Mantis Lords
I uh
Help
If you haven't been to the city yet, maybe come back later after you have a nail upgrade (and possibly health upgrade). I didn't find the mantis lords that difficult, but one of my friends had a rough time with that fight. The same friend one-shot Soul Master, who is my most-hated boss, so I'm not sure I understand how any of this works.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Finally beat the game. Good times.

Next up wondering if I should go for 100% and the DLC stuff (didn't really even touch the Grimm Troupe content except them appearing at the town). I kinda would want to check it all out in case there is some cool stuff in there still but then again I have so many other games to play and sometimes traversing the map becomes a bit tiresome toward the end. Definately could have used additional stag station or two at a few places.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Finally beat the game. Good times.

Next up wondering if I should go for 100% and the DLC stuff (didn't really even touch the Grimm Troupe content except them appearing at the town). I kinda would want to check it all out in case there is some cool stuff in there still but then again I have so many other games to play and sometimes traversing the map becomes a bit tiresome toward the end. Definately could have used additional stag station or two at a few places.

Personally I found the Grimm Troupe stuff a bit of a let down going into it right after the base game. It's mostly just going from place to place to fight bosses which are all marked on your map and since I was pretty powerful by that point I crushed the bosses with little effort. Felt a bit like I was going through the motion and wish I had done it alongside the 'main' story.

It's great DLC but if you're tired of traversing the map I kinda think you'd have the same reaction to the DLC as me.

Last edited:

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
oh man, I totally forgot about the DLCs.

what is the best way to experience them?
new game?

all I know is, I can't controll the game as good as I could anymore..

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i beat the path of pain! feelsgoodman. you'd think there'd be at least a steam achievement for something this hard though. feelsbadman

0045E1FC8AC158AD106142C599D8838E00B77801

oh man, I totally forgot about the DLCs.

what is the best way to experience them?
new game?

all I know is, I can't controll the game as good as I could anymore..

no, dlc can be done on an existing save file, don't need to start a new game

Last edited:

Cozmo

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Finished it today. Great game but I feel pretty done with it. 82% with 23h played. I know there's DLC but I'm ready to move on, even though it's probably my GOTY. Might go back to it sometime next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.