• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, really disappointed with how much I don't like this game. I've only played for a couple of hours but it bores/frustrates me so much I doubt I have the willpower to carry on. Combat is boring and a hassle as the enemies just aren't fun to fight and the weapon is incredibly unsatisfying, annoying how they tied money to enemies. The graphics on Switch are disappointing since they're only 720p, surprised no one mentioned this as it was immediately noticeable when played on my 49" TV. The art style doesn't sit with me at all and I find it pretty bland and bleh to look at. The music so far is very bleh apart from the track in the first area before you jump down the well thing, I really like that one. All the rooms feel very samey and it's hard to distinguish them so I constantly have to get my map out. I'm normally a fan of "metroidvanias" but Hollow Knight just kills all my motivation to try and explore because it's just so damn boring or frustrating. I honestly don't understand where the praise is coming from, maybe I need to play more but like I said within two hours all my motivation to continue has gone. So disappointing :/ I want to try and continue on to see if it improves but I just don't think I'll be able to.
I can definitely see where you're coming from, as the early game does suck and lasts for way too long. There are some parts of the game design that just fall flat with me, like having to find a map per area or needing to use a notch to display where you are. These tend to become less annoying over time though, and there are additional shortcomings, like not having a lot of fast travel options and the combat not really evolving that much.

That said, however, the game did get a lot better for me, and I now like it a lot (though I disagree about it being the best of genre); I just can't pinpoint exactly when that happened. If you give it some more time, I'm confident you might feel similarly.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat the Mantis Lords. Went from getting murdered in about 5 seconds, to being comfortable in phase 1, to finally beating them without getting hit a single time.

I honestly thought I'd hit a wall, but after about the tenth death I knew I could get them. And because I'm an idiot I wasn't coming from the nearest bench and I didn't find that charm to extend your range which would have helped a lot until after.

That fight is a dance. Once you learn the moves you can do it with no damage. It's one of my favorites.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After almost 50 hours I´m done with this game, what a ride! Got all charms, all upgrades, the unbreakable charms, finished the DLC, the White Palace, the Colloseum, the Dream Boss fights, got +2400 essence, got all 3 endings...I don´t think there´s anything left without having to start a new game. Loved most of all the exploration and combat in the game. The bosfights are awesome, I really enjoyed how they initially murder you until you learn them, make a strategy, maybe even use a special charm set-up and completely destroy them after many tries. And then go again against the dream versions and realize the boss was just being nice to you :)

My favorite area of the game is probably the Soul Sanctum: Really creepy and disturbing, great atmosphere, very original enemies, very challenging, with shortcuts to unlock and cement your progress...and a really cool bossfight with a final surprise. It felt at times Castlevania, at times Souls, at times Metroid but with the original charm of Hollow Knight present at every step.

I really liked the story and most of all the insect theming: It´s really strong and is used masterfully through all the game in a million different ways: For enemies, powerups, NPCs, upgrades, items, sceneries, locations, dressing, environmental objects (loved the tombs in Resting Grounds)...I was expecting something really disturbing for the spider area and it surpassed my expectations. It ´s praise-worthy how the devs managed to use the theme so well to convey something beasty and primal like the Deepnest and the creatures inside, other times something more elegant and melancholic like the City of Tears, the nobles and soldiers, then again present a character who literally fights for and with shit and make him respectable and challenging...

The only thing I didn´t like is that, specially close to the end when I was just hunting for pending stuff, the travel options were very limited. Hop you could create more than one dream door or something to move aorund great distances faster. Even if travelling with a fully upgraded Knight was awesome it became a bit at some point. Also, the map not updating in new areas until you got to a bench got mixed feelings from me. Combat was amazing, but the "special" moves (vengeful spirit, energy AoE attack, ground slam) felt a bit unresponsive so I didn´t use them much...it´s a pity as they could´ve added some more variety to combat. The jump-bounce attack was also a bit unreliable, but I can see this move easily becoming overpowered if it became as easy to use as in Shovel Knight for example. Still, just little nuances in an otherwise amazing experience.

I fully recommend this game, specially for those who like challenging combat and exploration.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It would be so cool if there was a harder Mantis Lords fight in Gods & Glory.

Make them faster (NKG speed) with a couple of new moves, the dream.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It would be so cool if there was a harder Mantis Lords fight in Gods & Glory.

Make them faster (NKG speed) with a couple of new moves, the dream.

I think there's a new track in the dlc called 'Sisters of Battle' and sounds like there'll be a Mantis Lords remix in G&G yeah. Also, in an AMA: "Our thoughts are that [boss rush] would be extremely cool! We're throwing around ideas, trying to come up with away to make it really interesting. I wanna make an upgraded Mantis Lords fight so bad!!"

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I think there's a new track in the dlc called 'Sisters of Battle' and sounds like there'll be a Mantis Lords remix in G&G yeah. Also, in an AMA: "Our thoughts are that [boss rush] would be extremely cool! We're throwing around ideas, trying to come up with away to make it really interesting. I wanna make an upgraded Mantis Lords fight so bad!!"

Yeah, hopefully that will be it.

What if it's just two NKGs coming at you at once?

rip

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Like what? I'm curious.
For Spell Master's dive move, which I thought was unpunishable, I saw a guy pre-jump away from his starting spot, then turn around and land a quick slash as the Spell Master dove past him, then turn back around in midair to avoid falling into him. He did that for almost every dive, including the ones during his second phase. Same goes for his dream version.

Apparently you can pogo off the Mantis Lords' boomerangs.

There was a lot of abuse of Desolate Dive's i-frames. Like, instead of dodging, some players would just use Desolate Dive to i-frame attacks to both land damage and put them in a position to keep fighting. You could also apparently chain Desolate Dive into itself for a lot of invincibility, which I think is what I saw being used against False Champion's berserk mace swinging move - some players would just Desolate Dive him as soon as he started that move, then jump up and do it over and over while standing right over the False Champion's sprite without taking damage. The extra damage from this also led to bosses getting stunned far more quickly than normal. Broken Vessel/Lost Kin could barely do anything at all because of how often they were getting stunned.

The fireball goes through all targets and deals full damage to all of them, meaning that they are really good for crowd control. I saw people using the extra large fireball from Shaman Stone to clear trial waves by carefully positioning one fireball so that it would clip the feet of fliers and the heads of anyone on the ground. Speedrunners seemed to start a lot of Trial waves by wallclimbing up one side so that they can fire off a quick fireball at the start of the next wave from a position that let the fireball hit everything.

Some pretty slick stuff against Grimm/NKG. A guy equipped a spell build + Flukes for the shotgun spell effect. During NKG fire pillars, he would do something like jump up, fire flukes on one side, Shadow Dash through him, turn around, then fire off another spread of Flukes before landing. On a related note, apparently firing Flukes into normal Grimm when he bows doesn't make him scream at you, so players could fire like three spreads into him before the fight even started.

Some of it was just incredible reflexes and instincts, though. There was one time this speedrunner lost his footing during one of the spiked floor phases of Trial of the Fool, but recovered by dashing below the lowest platform, pogoing off the spiked floor and jumping back up onto a platform. Pogoing off spikes isn't that special, but the speed at which he caught himself was really impressive.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
98% completion after 50 hours, what a game.

Hollow Knight is an easy GOTY contender :)

Edit: 100% completion :D

Last edited:

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Finished with 92% completion and 43h 37mins of game time...

This is simply, the perfect game...

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game at 98%, 32Hrs, I think i'll leave it at that. Loved the game, although I do wish the gate was available sooner than it is.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
98% completion after 50 hours, what a game.

Hollow Knight is an easy GOTY contender :)

Edit: 100% completion :D

Finished with 92% completion and 43h 37mins of game time...

This is simply, the perfect game...

Finished the game at 98%, 32Hrs, I think i'll leave it at that. Loved the game, although I do wish the gate was available sooner than it is.

Ftr the max percentage is 107%.

In case you guys are curious and want to check what you miss: http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Completion

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I came across a new NPC 60 hours in lol

I also got Quick Slash after beating the game (currently @ 102%) -.-

Shit got so easy after getting it

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Am I supposed to be able to beat the Brooding Mawlek in Forgotten Crossroad when I just reach the Mantis village? I actually found it before reaching Mantis Village but gave up.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Oh oh, I know about that. When I saw endings I didn't even understand how to get that ending anyhow :D

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just came in to say that at first the game was overwhelming and the combat awkward. Then I realised it's about learning how to avoid each enemies attacks before you can really attack yourself. I'm also quite surprised so far that I've managed to retain memory of where I have and haven't been and exploration hasn't been a bind at all. This is really an excellent game and at 10 quid or so it is an absolute steal. Probably the best value Indie game I've played.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Finally finished the game yesterday, 91% completion and 35 hours playtime. What a masterpiece, I still can't believe how good this game is taking into account I only payed £10 for it. Definitely one of my GOTYs, I'll take a break now to play other stuff but will come back once the new DLC drops to go for that sweet 107% completion

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I'm continually getting in awe with the size of this game. I just completed one main story task
breaking the 3 seals
and I'm still discovering areas I haven't been to yet.

I figured this would be your run of the mill indie game with 10-12 hour gameplay max but it's clearly surpassed that at this point.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man that Watcher Knight boss was fucking dogshit garbage. Fuck that boss forever. I had to dock the Switch and play it on the TV with the Pro controller because the joycon analog is too small for the precision I needed on the consistent downward slashes.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
ERA I need some advice. Hopefully some logical advice and not fanboy-ism encouragement

I beat the main game but not sure if I want to continue. I do not want to item hunt, fight the same bosses but harder in dream form or do what I feel as trivial clean up to pad the game length and watch the % number climb up.

I think I found most areas on the map, should I just do the two included DLCS and move on? am I missing out on too much hollow knight magic by stopping after that? or have I essentially seen it all?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
ERA I need some advice. Hopefully some logical advice and not fanboy-ism encouragement

I beat the main game but not sure if I want to continue. I do not want to item hunt, fight the same bosses but harder in dream form or do what I feel as trivial clean up to pad the game length and watch the % number climb up.

I think I found most areas on the map, should I just do the two included DLCS and move on? am I missing out on too much hollow knight magic by stopping after that? or have I essentially seen it all?
What percentage are you at? I got 107% and think pretty much everything was worth doing.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when from the sound of your comment it clearly sounds like you do not want to play more. Harder bosses in dream form, as well as generally harder bosses, are a large part of what you're missing, I assume. As well as the game's most difficult platforming sections.

I'd encourage going for the "true ending/final boss" but, uhm, you'll have to basically kill the Hollow Knight each time before getting another go at it, which can be obnoxious, even if you can just facetank and slice through the Hollow Knight with the right upgrades.

If you do enjoy the gameplay and challenge, go for it. If not, cut your losses and maybe watch a video concerning the true ending (and what leads up to that!).

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Sorta banging my head on Traitor Lord right now and looking at strats on YT I just learned about the buffs he got after the Lifeblood update.

Ayyyyy lmao.

I'll get him but daaaaaaamn.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
If you learn to use your shadow-dash he becomes really simple.
I deal with his first phase fine, it's when his two other moves get into play that he's a bit too much for me atm. And the fact that he deals double damages doesn't help at all.

I'll get him for sure, I just need a few tries to get confortable with his attacks really.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I deal with his first phase fine, it's when his two other moves get into play that he's a bit too much for me atm. And the fact that he deals double damages doesn't help at all.

I'll get him for sure, I just need a few tries to get confortable with his attacks really.
Double damage is always annoying; if you have any, try using charms that add more health, so that you can get more "experience" with each attempt.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

I recommend at least doing the Coliseum. I do think getting the rest of the abilities and the true ending is worth doing but YMMV. I really enjoyed the platforming in The White Palace and honestly, the tougher fights are actually fun for me. What I enjoyed a lot less was backtracking and trying to find all the grubs and charms but for the most part these aren't really necessary.
The Grimm Troupe stuff I can't comment on because it wasn't out when I played but it looks like a good challenge but not much in terms of exploration.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

I have been shadow dashing for hours and that bastard is still tough as nails. What is the best charm combo you would recommend?

Edit: nvm i just saw your other comment
Have you guys gotten a Dream Nail upgrade that makes getting back to him much faster yet? That was one of the biggest things for me

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Have you guys gotten a Dream Nail upgrade that makes getting back to him much faster yet? That was one of the biggest things for me
The teleporting power. Yeah i just got that today after spending an hour travelling to him then dying then travelling then dying over and over. It definitely takes a bit of the sting out of dying but he is still a pain in the ass

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

Did you get the good ending? The steps that lead up to that have a number of areas you may not have explored, and a couple of lore dumps that make up most of the story of the game.

The Grimm Troupe DLC content is absolutely worth doing, mostly for the chance to fight Grimm/NKG.

There are entirely optional areas that you might want to check out, and boss fights that come with them. I don't know if you count those as things that are worth seeing or not.

You don't need to do things like get all mask/soul container upgrades.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
And Traitor Lord is dead. Using the upgraded dive on him when possible helped me dish out damage fast.

Soooo the item I got after that relates to the good ending, right ?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Grimm after a couple of goes, collected the last flames (more of a challenge than I was expecting, to be honest), and took on Nightmare King Grimm.

Oh dear.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Man that Watcher Knight boss was fucking dogshit garbage. Fuck that boss forever. I had to dock the Switch and play it on the TV with the Pro controller because the joycon analog is too small for the precision I needed on the consistent downward slashes.

Was playing that this whole morning and gave up and found another region to explore instead lol. Lost 4k on the way too. Got down to the last two spamming the shadow dive down. Thought about doing down slashes but they started jumping up towards me.

Status
Not open for further replies.