• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Mother of fuck I just watched an AGDQ run of this game and there's a chandelier on top of the watcher knights that you can break in a little room before starting the fight. Doing so will kill one of the watcher knights before the battle even starts! The room is like impossible to spot unless you know it's there

Oct 25, 2017
So, I think with the double-jump I'm set? Or are there more permanent-upgrades awaiting me?

I am a bit lost (put it down a few weeks ago and so my map/discovered-but-not-yet-beaten-boss fights/path of destruction is a bit hard to follow), is there a major landmark I can visit to get my bearings again?

I think I've exhausted most of the merchants wares to this point, and I've upgraded my sword. Guy wants three ores now for the next one.

Not too fond of the dream-state where you have to fight harder versions of the bosses, but I suppose I need to buck up there.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
So, I think with the double-jump I'm set? Or are there more permanent-upgrades awaiting me?

I am a bit lost (put it down a few weeks ago and so my map/discovered-but-not-yet-beaten-boss fights/path of destruction is a bit hard to follow), is there a major landmark I can visit to get my bearings again?

I think I've exhausted most of the merchants wares to this point, and I've upgraded my sword. Guy wants three ores now for the next one.

Not too fond of the dream-state where you have to fight harder versions of the bosses, but I suppose I need to buck up there.
Sorta vague response: There's at least one permanent upgrade you're missing, but any remaining ones are only required for the true ending or make navigation of some places possible/easier.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorta vague response: There's at least one permanent upgrade you're missing, but any remaining ones are only required for the true ending or make navigation of some places possible/easier.

Cool, thanks. Saying "I'm set" means I'm at that point in these kinds of games were losing currency doesn't faze me. Up until now it's been a very softly-softly approach.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
White Palace was pretty easy thanks to Hiveblood. Cleared it in a few goes but without regen health it would of taken me at least 10 times longer.

Can you cheese Pain of Path the same way?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Physical release coming next year.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/new...t-deaths-gambit-physical-editions-1202909029/

The eerie 2D action title "Hollow Knight" is planned for spring 2019 release. Team Cherry, the Australian studio behind the game commented on the partnership and new version of "Hollow Knight." The title is the studio's first release.

"Skybound immediately impressed us with their experience and their focus on quality," Team Cherry stated. "And we can't wait for them to deliver the definitive version of Hollow Knight into players' hands."

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I just hit my first difficulty spike: the watcher boss. It's quite frustrating. I had a good time with the game until then.
What's worse is that I need to go to the boss room to get my shadow back. This is when I really started to notice the game flaws.
Some game mechanics are poorly explained. I had to check online to know that the "witch" near the first village can retrieve your soul.
Then I checked to see how to upgrade my needle. I needed ore, luckily I had one, but no money. So I learnt online a merchant in the city of tears buys old relics at a good price.
I managed to upgrade my sword, but the boss is still giving me trouble. Should I just give up, get my soul back from the witch and explore elsewhere?
So yeah it's disappointing to need to check online to know what NPCs does what.

- The map should have been clearer, with the NPCs face and role displayed. Too many useless NPCs. Difficult to keep track of where the vendors are as a result.
- The map upgrades (Quill, pins...) should have been standard features from the start. I bought all of them as soon as possible anyway.
- Retrieving your soul when you die is mostly a waste of time and doesn't bring anything of value except more stress. You are punished twice from dying.
- Unfair difficulty spikes. You're never quite sure if you are at the correct level to tackle an area or a boss.
- The power-ups have been done to death and are not very exciting. They are also too few and far between.
- Your power progression is very slow. You never feel like a badass.
- Lack of direction. It's never clear what the ultimate goal or destination are. There isn't enough landmarks that make an impression on you, making a spot in the back of your mind you'll need to return there.

Super Metroid hadn't any of those problems. That said, it's still an excellent and very atmosperic metroid-like indie game so far.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks. Saying "I'm set" means I'm at that point in these kinds of games were losing currency doesn't faze me. Up until now it's been a very softly-softly approach.
Strictly speaking you don't actually need the double jump either. It's possible to enter any place that would "usually" require the double jump for the normal ending by being clever with pogo-ing off of enemies or something in the environment (the game is designed this way intentionally).

The only actually required bosses are the first Hornet fight, the two bosses that guard two of the Dreamers, and the final boss.

Oct 25, 2017
Strictly speaking you don't actually need the double jump either. It's possible to enter any place that would "usually" require the double jump for the normal ending by being clever with pogo-ing off of enemies or something in the environment (the game is designed this way intentionally).

The only actually required bosses are the first Hornet fight, the two bosses that guard two of the Dreamers, and the final boss.

I see, are they not themselves just normal versions of Dreamer bosses? I've forgotten the in-game lore a little bit :)

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I see, are they not themselves just normal versions of Dreamer bosses? I've forgotten the in-game lore a little bit :)
The two bosses I'm talking about are the Watcher Knights and the giant jellyfish thing that I can't remember the name of. Dream bosses are only required to fight the true final boss.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Radiance is the first boss that is testing me a bit, mostly phase 2. Love it but frustrating spamming into Hollow Knight to get to him each time.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
Wrapped my comment in spoilers because there are probably some in there
Picked the game up again last night and found another path coming off of the Kings Station. Wow this game is nuts. I also triggered something that summoned the Grimm Troupe in Dirtmouth. Got the charm that gave me the little pet, found the flames, got it upgraded, found the flames again, and WHOA this boss its nuts. I need some more experience before I fight him again!

Edit: I also just fought the Lady in red for I think the 3rd time, and I went down and got some item and it said I was the new king, then the place collapsed and now I am happily lost again

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It's August 23rd today in Australia and Team Cherry is from here so what gives omg uninstalling my entire computer.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
May be a dumb question, but is this update free? And if so, what all does it bring? I want more of this game in my life

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
It's free.

"We said this'd be the largest pack yet and we weren't lying! A whole bunch of new bosses. A slew of new music. New NPCs. New Quests. The final chapter for the knight is turning into the celebration we hoped it would be!"

Here's the new music. Here's more info.

Dear goodness. I am now stoked for this. I havent even beaten the boss yet (let alone see them). I wonder if this will be locked behind that boss, or if I can still do it before I beat the game (Just did Grimm Troupe, and didnt know it was DLC until I did part 2 of the quest)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oof!

Apparently it'll take another ~10 hours til Godmaster goes live.
giphycyfvu.gif

that's a lot of hours

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how substantial the updates to regular content are going to be and whether I should consider doing anyother walkthrough. Depending on how strongly e.g. the charms are altered (we'll get new combos at least, if I'm not mistaken) that migt be fun.

But certainly can't wait to get my ass kicked to some damn fine tunes.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
After playing a ton of Dead Cells it is going to be hard to go back to this. Not that Hollow Knight is bad (it's my GOTY so far) but the controls feel so different. Might train a bit in in the colosseum before I jump in the dlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.