• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I'm surprised how fast they were able to make this sequel. The first is in my top 10 this gen easily. Maybe top 5. I think I'm gonna miss the first character tho. Did he even have a name?

Good planning can make wonders. These guys seem disciplined,talented and eager to work hard. That's how the magic happens

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Better late than never but... Holy shit, it's a full sequel? Between Mario Maker 2 and this I wouldn't even need any other games this year...
Day one! Can't wait to see if they've listened to some feedback and fine tune some of the QOL aspects of the game without dumbing it down.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
There are very few games I truly look forward to. This is definitely one of them. The fact that this exists just warms my heart.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking minor QOL updates to add to a sequel, I'd really like a quick boss retry option. It's the one thing that really would have made Hollow Knight so much better to me (it's still one of my favorite games ever, though).

I know the devs said they deliberately chose to not do this, in order to make each of your attempts at a boss feel more serious and meaningful. Personally, while I can see the logic behind that design decision, ultimately I disagree with it. If I'm going to have to retry a boss more than a dozen times to beat it, I'd really rather just cut out the wasted time between attempts.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking minor QOL updates to add to a sequel, I'd really like a quick boss retry option. It's the one thing that really would have made Hollow Knight so much better to me (it's still one of my favorite games ever, though).

I know the devs said they deliberately chose to not do this, in order to make each of your attempts at a boss feel more serious and meaningful. Personally, while I can see the logic behind that design decision, ultimately I disagree with it. If I'm going to have to retry a boss more than a dozen times to beat it, I'd really rather just cut out the wasted time between attempts.

Yeah, having Bonfires/Lanterns near boss fights in the Dark Souls/Bloodborne games didn't diminish how serious or meaningful they were, it just made them less frustrating to return to. It's actually why I still haven't completed Hollow Knight and only return to it for a few days and then shelve it for a few weeks - multiple 5 and 10 minute journeys to a boss only to die within a couple of minutes is the dictionary definition of a game not valuing player's time.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Yeah, having Bonfires/Lanterns near boss fights in the Dark Souls/Bloodborne games didn't diminish how serious or meaningful they were, it just made them less frustrating to return to. It's actually why I still haven't completed Hollow Knight and only return to it for a few days and then shelve it for a few weeks - multiple 5 and 10 minute journeys to a boss only to die within a couple of minutes is the dictionary definition of a game not valuing player's time.
Uhh, you might want to collect 900 essence and talk to the Seer in the Resting Grounds.

I think you'll like what you find.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If it has difficulty options I'll play it, but the first one was just too hard to actually enjoy imo

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the fact that you had to travel back to the boss. Like others said it made each attempt more meaningful. What I would like to see would be more fast travel options. The Stags stations and trams were still too scattered to get around the whole map.

Each boss has a bench really near from it, sometimes hidden though.
The only one I can remember who was a pain to go back to was the hive boss.
Um, Traitor Lord?
I was so ready to use dreamgate for him! (In the end I didn't, though.)

I don't mind the fact that you had to travel back to the boss. Like others said it made each attempt more meaningful. What I would like to see would be more fast travel options. The Stags stations and trams were still too scattered to get around the whole map.
This.

Was this already ingame on release because I never knew this existed.
No, it came with the first or second DLC.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. I never really beat HK, I beat the "final" boss, but I got sidetracked with life and didn't beat all the extra bosses or get the true ending. I put so much time and effort getting decent at the game that I don't want to start over after losing my pattern recognition of the enemies, awareness of the map, muscle memory, etc.

So this is perfect.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Where is your Indie Dev tag? Mods are slacking :p

But yeah, of course it won't release this year. We'll be lucky if it releases in 2020.

Team Cherry is working under extreme fan pressure to outperform the gem that is HK. They'll need all the time they can get to make sure Silk Song's metacritic score is as good or better as HK.
We'll be lucky if it releases by 2025!

Most signs point to a release this year, the trailer already shows a lot of content, Team Cherry has a big base to work on top of, and I doubt they would release a trailer this early if they were sure it would be released the following year, I also doubt a ton we'll be on a year of info drought.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're literally the only dev team that can create a game I'll blindly buy. After Hollow Knight I need no reviews, videos, pics or anything else.

Even Nintendo, with all their experience and dev philosophy, are amateurs in comparison to Team Cherry.

Long live Hollow Knight!

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you mean well and you sound really hyped for it, which is great. I'm just trying to tell you as a long-time indie dev, as a friend of the team, and as someone with her name in the credits of the original game, don't expect Silksong to release this year. It would take a miracle.
So ..you're saying there's a chance?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They're literally the only dev team that can create a game I'll blindly buy. After Hollow Knight I need no reviews, videos, pics or anything else.

Even Nintendo, with all their experience and dev philosophy, are amateurs in comparison to Team Cherry.

Long live Hollow Knight!
I woudn't go that far, but yeah, Team Cherry has proven themselves to be a great dev.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

Most signs point to a release this year, the trailer already shows a lot of content, Team Cherry has a big base to work on top of, and I doubt they would release a trailer this early if they were sure it would be released the following year, I also doubt a ton we'll be on a year of info drought.

Everything you say is true, and maybe TC believes as you do but the amount of love and acclaim they got after giving us HK is on par with what Yacht Games got for their jaw-dropping over-delivering to backers. They must both feel pressure to keep up the magnificent work, majestic stallions that they are.

2019 is stacked with hits anyways. I don't mind waiting a bit more if it means they don't get white hairs crunching 12/5/365.

Jul 20, 2018

I think they would have. They knew people were waiting for news on the Hornet DLC and it's been a long while since they've said anything. I don't think they could have provided another update on it without establishing it's a full game, and I imagine a trailer was the best way to do that.

I'm not on Team 2019 or Team 2020 though. I have no idea.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's two plus the music guy. Crazy stuff.
I think they talked about their "talented coder" at some point. Maybe it was even in the dev update posted recently. They seem to have hired him around the time they started to work on the Switch version.

It's crazy nontheless, yeah. God I think I watched the Silksong trailer 20+ times by now.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
I know you mean well and you sound really hyped for it, which is great. I'm just trying to tell you as a long-time indie dev, as a friend of the team, and as someone with her name in the credits of the original game, don't expect Silksong to release this year. It would take a miracle.

Noooo!! Why are you doing this to me?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if jumping into this without playing (much of) the original would be a stupid decision. Combat is one of things I thought was kinda dull in the original and going by the short teaser, it seems much improved in Silksong.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Well, that was an amazing trailer. I love how this looks and feels very different from the original, since Hornet is a much more acrobatic and nimble character. Love all the new spells, abilities and enemies I'm seeing too. Couldn't be more excited.

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
If I pay double, can I have it a week earlier?
I'm so ashamed I only payed 15€ for the best game of last year.

Jul 20, 2018
I wonder if jumping into this without playing (much of) the original would be a stupid decision. Combat is one of things I thought was kinda dull in the original and going by the short teaser, it seems much improved in Silksong.

It'll probably be fine. If it's story/lore you're worried about most of that was a bit difficult to grasp while playing the game and you could watch some YouTube videos to catch up if you Ilike (I recommend mossbag's channel).

This game looks like it will build off of the lore of the first, but will probably work well as an isolated experience. Of course I'm saying that without actually having played the game, so take my word with a pinch of salt or whatever.