Hollow Knight sold 2.8 million copies thus far, the sequel Silksong will be free for all Kickstarter backers

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
From the blog post: http://teamcherry.com.au/hollow-knight-silksong/

Thanks to the incredible support of players and Kickstarter backers, what started out as a tiny game jam idea has become a game bought and played by over 2.8 million people!
As a backer, your support made this happen, so you’ll of course be receiving your copy of Hollow Knight: Silksong 100% free.

Hollow Knight: Silksong PC (Windows, Mac & Linux) copies will be supplied as both a Steam Key and a DRM free version.
Incredible news all around.

Feb 6, 2018
Well deserved, might be the best Metroidvania I've ever played and the sequel is on top of my most wanted list now.

Nov 8, 2017
Reminder that they announced 1M sold on PC at the beginning of July last year, right after the Switch version launched. Very good sales in the last 8 months.

Oct 27, 2017
Great for kickstarter backers. As a non-backer, i'm happily giving the devs money for Silksong. Keep up the good work!

Oct 27, 2017
When was a sequel announced and it is only coming to PC?
Just now and it's PC and Switch. They say it might come to other platforms later on. I'd say since the first one did this one will too but since it's only 3 people they can't do them all at the same time.

Oct 8, 2018
so many sales, and yet they still give it away for free for backers? this is praise worthy. they even make it sound like it is so obvious that they need to give it for free for their backers when it clearly is not.

Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Wow, 2.8M is absolutely bonkers.

The DLC-become-sequel looks amazing, and, since I'm a backer and it was originally a stretch goal, I get it for free. What else could I ask for?

Team Cherry joins Yacht Club Games in the realm of devs that keep their promises in the most crazy way possible.

Nov 9, 2017
I still haven't finished Hollow Knight. I find it too stressful. It needs more checkpoints :(

the left guy is cute BTW

Oct 26, 2017
Spain
so many sales, and yet they still give it away for free for backers? this is praise worthy. they even make it sound like it is so obvious that they need to give it for free for their backers when it clearly is not.
It is, actually -- it was originally a stretch goal DLC campaign to be released for free to backers. Of course, what we're getting is WAY MORE than we anticipated, but I don't think they could have kept it from backers without backlash. That said, there are only, like, 5k backers, we're a drop in the bucket given the crazy figures we're working with at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight must have been a beast on the Switch for them to prioritize that platform. I remember how quickly it shot up and remained on eShop charts the minute it stealth dropped.

Oct 27, 2017
It was a Kickstarter stretch goal that got expanded in to a larger dlc. They did promise they'd get it for free, and it's only a tiny fraction of the players anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That seems a bit silly - but if that's the deal for the KS, so be it. I'm going to be buying this day 1! Can't wait.
Why is it silly for Kickstarter backers of the original Hollow Knight to get the sequel for free? If it wasn't for backer funding of the original game the game would not have been developed in the first place. Getting the new game seems like a fair reward for their support. Nevermind the promised stretch goal.

Sep 2, 2018
curious about platform split

bought it on switch personally. still havent beaten it as ive been preoccupied with smash

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly unnecessarily generous. Game launched for a 1/3 of it's actual value and they've been giving free content for 2 years.

Team Cherry are a treasure.