• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE CHARGE ME A DECENT AMOUNT THIS TIME

I DON'T WANT TO ROB YOU GUYS BLIND AGAIN

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly unnecessarily generous. Game launched for a 1/3 of it's actual value and they've been giving free content for 2 years.

Team Cherry are a treasure.

Makes sense for them to show thanks to the people who were responsible for giving them the means and time to work on their dream project (that in turn has gone on to make them what must be multi-millionaires).

Incredible success story and well deserved - that trailer was a beauty!

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's honestly one of the best games I've played in recent times. Everything is very well done from the level and enemy design to the controls.
My only gripe is that the way the DLC content and other content was hidden was a bit lame.
Other than that, fantastic game and its success is very well deserved.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense for them to show thanks to the people who were responsible for giving them the means and time to work on their dream project (that in turn has gone on to make them what must be multi-millionaires).

Incredible success story and well deserved - that trailer was a beauty!
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth etc. But I think they've definitely more than paid back that thanks to original backers already.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it silly for Kickstarter backers of the original Hollow Knight to get the sequel for free? If it wasn't for backer funding of the original game the game would not have been developed in the first place. Getting the new game seems like a fair reward for their support. Nevermind the promised stretch goal.

It's doubly not silly because playable hornet was a Kickstarter stretch goal that they funded. It just turned in to something way bigger because, you know, it sold a bajillion copies.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone tell these guys its okay to make money? Game was already underpriced

You could make a case the reason (besides it's obvious quality of course) HK blew up the way it did is because of it's low price point in the first place. They could've charged 29.99 for it but then I don't know if it reaches half of what it has tbh. Either way they're making fine money it's a tiny studio :)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit those sales! game must have done crazy well on switch
i did my part with 2 copies (steam and switch)

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Such an awesome gesture. That said, I backed the PC version, but I double-dipped on Xbox One, and I'll do the same with Silksong. They definitely deserve it.

Oct 26, 2017
You could make a case the reason (besides it's obvious quality of course) HK blew up the way it did is because of it's low price point in the first place. They could've charged 29.99 for it but then I don't know if it reaches half of what it has tbh. Either way they're making fine money it's a tiny studio :)
HK low price point surely got people through the door, but word of mouth was so strong on PC cause the game is top tier. This is a nice way to pay back their success gained from early support, but please TC make more money you deserve it!

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that this was extraordinarily generous at ~50k backers.
Then I went to their KS page, 2k backers?? Less than a tenth of one percent of sales.
They'll probably be fine.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth etc. But I think they've definitely more than paid back that thanks to original backers already.

A few thousand backers when they are looking at revenue in excess of what £30 million? Between 3 people? They are set for life. Giving the game away to the people that let them make the game of their dreams (which then went on to set them up for life financially) - it shows the kind of people they are. Team Cherry are the best and deserve every accolade and sale.

Best of all the success means they are free from any kind of shackles, they're able to do whatever they want now - can't wait for anything these guys do in the future

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so happy for the success these guys have experienced with hollow knight. super well deserved, and they continued supporting the game for free with so much content. they deserve so much more success and respect.

I'm one of the lames that still haven't picked it up yet. But that'll change soon!
do it, i'm not being hyperbolic when i say it'll change your life

ok maybe a bit hyperbolic, but buy it anyway

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, and congrats, the games is really good and it has a level of polish so good that is incredible that it was made by a small team.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It's great to see an indie game selling near 3 million copies.

But we're still in the baby steps of indie games / digital games competing against physical and heavily marketed products.

To make a comparison, 'Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze' sold 2.08 millions in Switch, but that is a $60 game instead of a $15 one, so it has made much more profit. And if we count the sales of the Wii U version, it has sold 4 million of copies.

And 'Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy' reached 10 million of copies.

I hope that the indie market can continue growing.

And that we can reach a point in which a successful indie title can break the 5 million mark in a year.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what's with people asking them to charge more? they are happy with it, they've said they intentionally priced it low because they want everyone to be able to buy it and 15$ isn't cheap everywhere, they're comfortable with it and made a lot of money. i too think the game is worth more than the asking price, but that's their choice so makes no sense to want it to be more expensive.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's great to see an indie game selling near 3 million copies.

But we're still in the baby steps of indie games / digital games competing against physical and heavily marketed products.

To make a comparison, 'Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze' sold 2.08 millions in Switch, but that is a $60 game instead of a $15 one, so it has made much more profit. And if we count the sales of the Wii U version, it has sold 4 million of copies.

And 'Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy' reached 10 million of copies.

I hope that the indie market can continue growing.

And that we can reach a point in which a successful indie title can break the 5 million mark in a year.

I'm sure if you break the profits down per person involved and subtract the marketing costs, Hollow Knight made more money so far.
I believe I heard that they are working with a team of 3 people? Seems like a great way to sustain the studio for a long while.

Really appreciate that gesture to the Kickstarter community that helped to start the game. And it's never been the biggest Kickstarter with around 60k$.
It's great to see them succeed :)

And they should have come out roughly with 2 - 2.5m dollars, right? 30% cut and sales and everything.
For the amount of people involved that is a fantastic turnaround and should ride all of them safely to retirement if they invest clever.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Pleass give me physical.
I've been holding out on this game for too long, but I need physical.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my motherfucking God, a sequel?

Ironically, as a backer, I can't get Silksong for free because I no longer own a gaming PC, but I'm totally fine paying for quality.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They deserve even more. Hopefully it will eventually get a physical release and even more sales.

I know I'm gonna double dip if Hollow Knight ever gets a physical release.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
i bought it on switch and then ps4 for the hell of it, and im not someone who double dips with games. they deserve it, cant wait for the sequel

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I am all in. I didn't back the game, but this is a nice gesture for those that did. I really hope this is the start of a very long and successful franchise because they started off so very well.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
I just did some bullshit calculations and every member of team cherry is likely a millionaire at this point.

Besides that, it is good marketing to get your most ardent supporters of the game for free to start spreading the word on the new sequel without much cost.

Lastly, it would make sense to keep the price of the game low as with the market size they have, increasing the price to much could actually reduce revenue as it could scare away some of the more price sensitive buyers (or at least until a sale).

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is the (team) cherry on top of that amazing Direct yesterday. Can't wait :D

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I am all in. I didn't back the game, but this is a nice gesture for those that did. I really hope this is the start of a very long and successful franchise because they started off so very well.
Absolutely. The genuinely look like really nice chaps who deserve all the success they've had.

I was already beyond happy to see a trailer and realize that they had decided to go full game instead of doing a dlc, but getting it for free is such a nice surprise. I would honestly have bought it day one. I guess I'll gift it to friends now.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Sorry if this is a dumb question but given the number of sales to the number of developers... Are these guys likely all millionaires now? I don't know enough about the industry to make an educated guess but they're obviously comfortably successful at least so congratulations.

I still haven't bought the game yet. I'm hoping to get it in the next sale for sure though, I've been very excited to play it but also very broke.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm sure if you break the profits down per person involved and subtract the marketing costs, Hollow Knight made more money so far.
I believe I heard that they are working with a team of 3 people? Seems like a great way to sustain the studio for a long while.

Really appreciate that gesture to the Kickstarter community that helped to start the game. And it's never been the biggest Kickstarter with around 60k$.
It's great to see them succeed :)

And they should have come out roughly with 2 - 2.5m dollars, right? 30% cut and sales and everything.
For the amount of people involved that is a fantastic turnaround and should ride all of them safely to retirement if they invest clever.

Of course, they have made tons of money, indeed, Team Cherry are an exception in the indie industry. Stories of success, sadly are a minority respect to teams creating amazing games that hardly can make a living.

In the last generation, the video game industry made a dramatic turnaround respect to the PS2 era, in which the diversity was almost destroyed. Instead of hundred of titles released each year, selling enough copies to recoup the investment, a small number of releases cannibalized the whole market through a hype machine sustained in marketing.

Indie developers have brought back this diversity.

But we as consumers still have a lot to do to prevent a market dominated for a few corporations.

You only need to look at this forum or threads like this:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...2019-lineup-after-that-nintendo-direct.99564/

As amazing as it was the last Nintendo Direct, for a lot of people, if a game doesn't appear featured in a Direct, it doesn't exist.

When the truth is that in these first two months of 2019 we have seen a lot of amazing releases and genre defining games made by indie developers, I'm thinking in 'Tangledeep', for example.

That are almost ignored, when a marketed release like 'Resident Evil 2: Remake', as much as I love the franchise, can generate a new thread each time that a new image is released.

We're in a far better point today that in 2011.

But things still can improve a lot.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell these guys its okay to make money? Game was already underpriced
They're giving it away to 0.002% of the people who purchased the game. Not only does it provide good PR, but it's also incredibly cheap good PR

2.8 million is great, game performed very well on Switch and I doubt the monthly humble bundle it was part of really skewed those numbers. A great success story. And kudos on the DRM free version, that's how it should always be done.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Each and every one of those sales is well-deserved. Amazing game. I didn't back it but that's an incredibly generous gesture to backers. I'm not expecting it to be the same ridiculously low $15 price point as Hollow Knight, but I'll buy it day one.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Of course, they have made tons of money, indeed, Team Cherry are an exception in the indie industry. Stories of success, sadly are a minority respect to teams creating amazing games that hardly can make a living.

In the last generation, the video game industry made a dramatic turnaround respect to the PS2 era, in which the diversity was almost destroyed. Instead of hundred of titles released each year, selling enough copies to recoup the investment, a small number of releases cannibalized the whole market through a hype machine sustained in marketing.

Indie developers have brought back this diversity.

But we as consumers still have a lot to do to prevent a market dominated for a few corporations.

You only need to look at this forum or threads like this:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-do-you-think-of-the-switch's-2019-lineup-after-that-nintendo-direct.99564/

As amazing as it was the last Nintendo Direct, for a lot of people, if a game doesn't appear featured in a Direct, it doesn't exist.

When the truth is that in these first two months of 2019 we have seen a lot of amazing releases and genre defining games made by indie developers, I'm thinking in 'Tangledeep', for example.

That are almost ignored, when a marketed release like 'Resident Evil 2: Remake', as much as I love the franchise, can generate a new thread each time that a new image is released.

We're in a far better point today that in 2011.

But things still can improve a lot.

I agree - things have turned around for the better during the last decade. From big publishers rediscovering color in games and taking more risks when it comes to genres and difficulty (not every big publisher of course) to the incredibly diverse indie scene, gaming has been great these last few years!

But as long as there's no AI that helps with providing me with specific information about the games I might like based on what I play - in a way that's better than steam curation or algorithms, I only have so much time to inform myself about new games. I know that it's hard to achieve visibility these days, since the market is incredibly crowded in almost every genre, but it is what it is.

If I see a game in a direct, I'll probably remember it when it releases and found it interesting before. And a lot of Indie games are still bad with user interfaces, even if the games behind are more than solid. If that stuff isn't up to par with the rest of the presentation, I'll probably forget about the game pretty fast - speaking only from personal experience of course. And looking at something like Tangledeep, that doesn't strike me as a game for me - regardless of actual quality, simply based on the screens and the trailer.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Its OK, I'll just double dip and buy on Switch and PC... again!

Take all of my money.