• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
From the blog post: http://teamcherry.com.au/hollow-knight-silksong/

Thanks to the incredible support of players and Kickstarter backers, what started out as a tiny game jam idea has become a game bought and played by over 2.8 million people!

As a backer, your support made this happen, so you'll of course be receiving your copy of Hollow Knight: Silksong 100% free.

Hollow Knight: Silksong PC (Windows, Mac & Linux) copies will be supplied as both a Steam Key and a DRM free version.

Incredible news all around.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Well deserved, might be the best Metroidvania I've ever played and the sequel is on top of my most wanted list now.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Reminder that they announced 1M sold on PC at the beginning of July last year, right after the Switch version launched. Very good sales in the last 8 months.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Great for kickstarter backers. As a non-backer, i'm happily giving the devs money for Silksong. Keep up the good work!

Oct 2, 2018
That seems a bit silly - but if that's the deal for the KS, so be it. I'm going to be buying this day 1! Can't wait.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so many sales, and yet they still give it away for free for backers? this is praise worthy. they even make it sound like it is so obvious that they need to give it for free for their backers when it clearly is not.

Nosgoroth

Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Wow, 2.8M is absolutely bonkers.

The DLC-become-sequel looks amazing, and, since I'm a backer and it was originally a stretch goal, I get it for free. What else could I ask for?

Team Cherry joins Yacht Club Games in the realm of devs that keep their promises in the most crazy way possible.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I still haven't finished Hollow Knight. I find it too stressful. It needs more checkpoints :(

the left guy is cute BTW

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Even if I get it for free I'm still gonna buy it.

Bought HK 2 times and backed it.

<3 Team Cherry.

Nosgoroth

Oct 26, 2017
Spain
so many sales, and yet they still give it away for free for backers? this is praise worthy. they even make it sound like it is so obvious that they need to give it for free for their backers when it clearly is not.

It is, actually -- it was originally a stretch goal DLC campaign to be released for free to backers. Of course, what we're getting is WAY MORE than we anticipated, but I don't think they could have kept it from backers without backlash. That said, there are only, like, 5k backers, we're a drop in the bucket given the crazy figures we're working with at this point.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Free to backers? But Team Cherry your game is already too cheap. We're robbing you blind.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight must have been a beast on the Switch for them to prioritize that platform. I remember how quickly it shot up and remained on eShop charts the minute it stealth dropped.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It was a Kickstarter stretch goal that got expanded in to a larger dlc. They did promise they'd get it for free, and it's only a tiny fraction of the players anyway.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Is Hollow Knight now part of the 3rd party million sellers club on Switch?

Amazing indie devs anyway!

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
looking at the Kickstarter there were 2,158 backers, a drop in the ocean compared to the millions of sales

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Wow that's awesome, I'm not a backer but feels so right to back up awesome developers getting their games.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Team Cherry, they deserve everything and more, cannot wait for Silksong.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That seems a bit silly - but if that's the deal for the KS, so be it. I'm going to be buying this day 1! Can't wait.

Why is it silly for Kickstarter backers of the original Hollow Knight to get the sequel for free? If it wasn't for backer funding of the original game the game would not have been developed in the first place. Getting the new game seems like a fair reward for their support. Nevermind the promised stretch goal.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Nice. Great success. The Switch version must have sold amazing, hopefully console version did well too.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
curious about platform split

bought it on switch personally. still havent beaten it as ive been preoccupied with smash

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly unnecessarily generous. Game launched for a 1/3 of it's actual value and they've been giving free content for 2 years.

Team Cherry are a treasure.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Team Cherry clearly consists of philanthropes. Setting quite the example here.