• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
When I first played it on PC I dropped it pretty quickly after getting annoyed by the (lack of) map. But hearing all the fantastic reviews and seeing people say things like "it's better than Super Metroid" make me really think about giving it another shot now that it's on Switch...

But the game has a map

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think the gold standard for Metroidvania is Guacamelee.

As much as I love Super Metroid and SotN (and I LOVE both games, SotN especially), Guacamelee prefected on something both games always lacked - combat and platforming. Guacamelee was just so damn fun to play from beginning to end and while I don't love Hollow Knight as much as Guac yet (only about 8 hours into HK), it's the only Metroidvania I've played in years where I'd be willing to even have that conversation about.

As someone who likes Guacamelee, this game pales in comparison with Hollow Knight, specially after City of Tears.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Guacamelee is missing the most important factor to make it a contender for the top tier of Metroidvanias.
And that's a genuine sense of exploration and reward also culminating in a lacklustre map, but that's just my opinion at least

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Are DLC already included in this ? Is there a chance I mistakenly go into a DLC zone ? I just played a few hours so far, beat the first boss and entered the forest zone.

The DLC is included but you're not going to stumble onto any of until late game in all likelihood.

The forest are specifically is not DLC.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are DLC already included in this ? Is there a chance I mistakenly go into a DLC zone ? I just played a few hours so far, beat the first boss and entered the forest zone.

The free updates added some extra bosses and an extra questline that's a bit tricky to start. No new areas that you can accidentally stumble into (sort of).

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Guacamelee is missing the most important factor to make it a contender for the top tier of Metroidvanias.
And that's a genuine sense of exploration and reward also culminating in a lacklustre map, but that's just my opinion at least
That's fair.

I don't particularly love the "oh, I can't reach that ledge? Guess I better come back when I have a new ability then" aspect of Metroidvania's (I know, I know...), so that didn't bother me too much. What I do love is platforming, so that's why Guacamelee resonated with me so much.

But I definitely understand that criticism.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
This game is magical. Easily one of the best Metroidvania game I ever played, and I loved every second of it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair.

I don't particularly love the "oh, I can't reach that ledge? Guess I better come back when I have a new ability then" aspect of Metroidvania's (I know, I know...), so that didn't bother me too much. What I do love is platforming, so that's why Guacamelee resonated with me so much.

The combat and platforming in Guacamelee is pretty damn fun, I kind of feel like its core could benefit from linear stages more but who knows.
Well we have a sequel coming up so maybe they can mesh our preferences closer together this time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, then get someone with an iPhone 6 or higher and record a 240fps slo-mo of you hitting that jump button and post it to YouTube. Only then will I believe you.

Best I got was my 60fps Pixel XL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1Y_61BADQ&feature=youtu.be

I see about 3 frames of lag between when I fully depress the B button and when the jump animation starts. Is that what you're talking about? Because 50 miliseconds of lag is not what I'd call noticeable.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Man, I really wanted to get this game on my Xbox, but I have no idea when/how long the port is going to take.

Tempted to just grab it now...

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really wanted to get this game on my Xbox, but I have no idea when/how long the port is going to take.

Tempted to just grab it now...
giphy.gif

Seriously, the game is fantastic. Don't wait any longer.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This will probably be the best game on the switch this year.

Easily

When I first played it on PC I dropped it pretty quickly after getting annoyed by the (lack of) map. But hearing all the fantastic reviews and seeing people say things like "it's better than Super Metroid" make me really think about giving it another shot now that it's on Switch...

You dropped it too quickly. You'll get a map and once you past the beginning you'll not stop playing.

mossypne

Oct 27, 2017
I can't figure out what to do at all on it. Stuck in the first area kind of place lost on where to go/what to do.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This would have been my 2017 GotY, easily. It will probably be 2018's for me.

I adored BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, Yakuza 0 and the rest, but this is giving me that feeling of playing those once in a lifetime games that form my all-time top 10. I've convinced like 5 people to buy it too, and they're all loving it.

What an achievement it is. I knew it was going to be good due to last year's impressions, but I wasn't ready for how true that was.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't figure out what to do at all on it. Stuck in the first area kind of place lost on where to go/what to do.

Early on in the game all you need to do is just explore and try to find new places you haven't been before. In this game there's no such thing as "somewhere you aren't supposed to be yet" so just feel free to wander and look for new pathways. Doing that will inevitably lead you to upgrades, bosses, maps, and other items. That's how you progress.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's fair.

I don't like that in other games because it's harder to track but here when I open the map I can easily see that there is that path I couldn't reach and it must be from a missing ability or some gameplay mechanic I have yet to learn. Also quick map accses is great.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Btw, for anyone here who really enjoyed this game and hasn't played Ori yet, do yourself a favor and play it. The reason I really want to play Hollow Knight is because it reminds me so much of Ori, and that's a great thing.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to be able to zoom into the map a little further but other than that, I don't have any real problems with it. I guess people don't like that it's not a perfect representation of each area? That it doesn't always highlight areas that you'll have to return to later?

edit: Oh yeah, it also bugs me that I have to waste a badge slot on a compass. I turn it off for boss fights and that's it.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to be able to zoom into the map a little further but other than that, I don't have any real problems with it. I guess people don't like that it's not a perfect representation of each area? That it doesn't always highlight areas that you'll have to return to later?

edit: Oh yeah, it also bugs me that I have to waste a badge slot on a compass. I turn it off for boss fights and that's it.

That's pretty much my single issue with the game.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
After a while, you can play without the compass. Really depends on your spatial memory, although I understand why most would find that charm mandatory.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
My main problem with many Switch Indies is that they're overpriced for the content and play time they offer. Seems like this game doesn't have that problem, on top of actually being a great game. I think I will buy this.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
My main problem with many Switch Indies is that they're overpriced for the content and play time they offer. Seems like this game doesn't have that problem, on top of actually being a great game. I think I will buy this.
Frankly, at 15$, this is a steal. The game is easily worth 45$. And this is no exageration.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Frankly, at 15$, this is a steal. The game is easily worth 45$. And this is no exageration.

Yeah you're getting 3 metroidvanias in 1 pretty much. A wealth of content and most important of all, it's all good too.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah. I find it weird when people don't want to play great games due to their length, which is something that I see a lot in indie metroidvanias (Steamworld Dig 2, Yoku's Island Express, etc) but Hollow Knight just doesn't have this problem. I'm 30 hours into the game and it still isn't over, I know I'll put at least 10 more in. How such a small team was able to maintain such high level of quality and vision and spirit for such a long game is something I cannot grasp.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I find it weird when people don't want to play great games due to their length, which is something that I see a lot in indie metroidvanias (Steamworld Dig 2, Yoku's Island Express, etc) but Hollow Knight just doesn't have this problem. I'm 30 hours into the game and it still isn't over, I know I'll put at least 10 more in. How such a small team was able to maintain such high level of quality and vision and spirit for such a long game is something I cannot grasp.
My guesses are Love, Talent, and a shit ton of Time.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You'll be stuck looking for the next destination quite frequently. The game asks you to waste a lot of time

BS...where comes this narrative from? you know that all games are time wasters anyway? i really hate this "game doesn´t respect my time" stuff, it´s meme worthy at this point. When there is a game that demands exploration on your own it is suddenly "wasting your time"? so, every game has to provide instant gratification? hilarious...

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
What a wonderful game, nowadays I struggle to a) find time to play new games or b) have new games keep my attention for longer than half an hour but Hollow Knight is a blast to play. Get it you, yes you person lurking this thread wondering if game is worth all the praise it's getting or if it is worthy of your time. GET IT!

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
My guesses are Love, Talent, and a shit ton of Time.
I dunno man, I still call black magic, or some deal with the devil type shit. If I were to use HK as my new baseline for Metroidvania games to buy in terms of price, content, mechanics, music or looks I don't think I'd ever be able to play one ever again. It's one of those games that I just have to accept exist outside of the usual offerings of its genre because it's such a leap ahead, specially for an indie game, but I still think I like it more than both Super Metroid or SotN. It's literally a game I find hard to believe exists.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno man, I still call black magic, or some deal with the devil type shit. If I were to use HK as my new baseline for Metroidvania games to buy in terms of price, content, mechanics, music or looks I don't think I'd ever be able to play one ever again. It's one of those games that I just have to accept exist outside of the usual offerings of its genre because it's such a leap ahead, specially for an indie game, but I still think I like it more than both Super Metroid or SotN. It's literally a game I find hard to believe exists.

Maybe it's thanks to voodoo? Voodoo chicken!

But yeah, in all seriousness, Hollow Knight sets up a new standard. I'm looking forward the new content for that game, and Team Cherry's future projects.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair.

So, you don't like Metroidvanias...

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be stuck looking for the next destination quite frequently. The game asks you to waste a lot of time

I don't really get the game wasting your time complaint.

I spent a whole day playing without getting a new upgrade yet I explored multiple new areas, learned new monster fight patterns and became more familiar with the map and my way around. I opened more stagways and learned about the lore and world just wandering for hours. Game felt constantly rewarding, just maybe not always in a linear way.

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
and even then... in this game, most of the ways are open to your skill after you get the dash. you can try to wait for a better upgrade or just try to skill your way to many places

hell i even learnt the nail arts AFTER 40h XD i didnt even know there was something like that. you just need to explore and enjoy without concerning about what you dont have, and try to think where can you go with what you actually have/are capable of

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Backtracking is a core aspect of this genre, and Hollow Knight does it almost flawlessly.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No it doesn't.
As soon you get the map for a location you always have multiple directions to explore. Just get the marker for your location and the quill in the shop and go on exploring.
I've not wasted time a single minute in this game. Backtracking to some vendor or location always left me with more geo to spend.
I would have bought this at $14.99, but that $15.00 pricetag is just too much for me.
Lol.
I just bought it. I'm trusting all of you!
Just get a location marker and quill in town and search for the mapmaker in each area. You can locate him by thepaper trail he leaves and at some point you always hear him humming, that's where he's located.