• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Perfect using the Unity it is not,
For better engine there are lots.
The input lag is a bummer,
Switch patch perhaps in the summer?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
As far as i know, Nintendo doesn't allow games on their systems with vsync off, so there's nothing the devs can do here.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
It's worth noting that even with vsync on with Switch the input delay is similar to comparable modern games. There's no reason to attack the devs for not overcoming an engine issue when the performance is solid anyway.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Perfect using the Unity it is not,
For better engine there are lots.
The input lag is a bummer,
Switch patch perhaps in the summer?
Did you read any of the thread? The games run the exact same on vsync, which is what the developer targets. And this is comparable to other games released nowadays.
Also, can we stop with the Unity rhetoric? Tons of good games have been built on the engine.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With this fast becoming the premiere HK thread on Era, we thought it worth quickly popping in.

Our input timing is basically as fast as Unity (which applies vsync on Switch) allows. Hollow Knight was built and tested around very similar timings. On PC we test with vsync on, because we know many players want/use the feature. That means the game, all its challenges and player motion, were designed from the start around the response times players on Switch are experiencing (barring a particularly laggy TV).

Worth also stating: There are wind-up frames in the slash (before the white slash frames appear), as the Knight reaches back for its nail, and the jump still has an initial slow start and rise, which is intended to give weight to it. Also, our edge leniency (That grace period as you leave a ledge but can still jump) is much tighter than most platformers, which can surprise new players.

On a joyful note, thanks so much to everyone on Era who's picked up the game for Switch! William and I have loved following the OT, and it's been super motivating for us in the midst of our intense Gods & Glory crunch.

It's sad that this thread has blown up to the point where you had to come in and explain the inner workings of the game. Enjoying the game immensely and just beat the game tonight. Working on the extra content now.

Okay so basically, "it's Unity's fault". Have you guys thought about raising the issue with Unity dev support and see if they can possibly provide a solution/fix, instead of taking the lazy route of not investigating it and pretending like it was intended all along? The PC version doesn't seem to suffer from the same issue, so why not challenge Unity dev support on their implementation? Maybe they can even provide a fix?

At this point you have gone way beyond being an immature, spoiled brat and are a full-fledged asshole on the internet. What is your development experience that you can spout these accusations? Do you even have any? Or you just an armchair developer that can offer nothing but criticism?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Except all they've done is denial. I'm trying to be constructive but it's really hard considering everyone's attitude. I don't consider their explanation reasonable unless they've actually contacted Unity dev support and see if anything can be done about it. From their response it seems like they haven't. Team cherry: have you contacted Unity dev support to see if anything can be done/fixed about their vsync implementation?

lmfao wtf is this. Please read your posts out loud and realize the only person not being reasonable is you. Why on earth would they need to ask Unity dev support when the amount of input lag is very reasonable AND they designed their game around it? Are you serious?

darknil

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yesterday I was playing docked with a pro controller, got serious input lag during a boss fight which got me killed. Before I only played on handheld mode.

Didn't think it was the game's fault, I blamed it on Bluetooth interference. Which obviously is also bad.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With this fast becoming the premiere HK thread on Era, we thought it worth quickly popping in.

Our input timing is basically as fast as Unity (which applies vsync on Switch) allows. Hollow Knight was built and tested around very similar timings. On PC we test with vsync on, because we know many players want/use the feature. That means the game, all its challenges and player motion, were designed from the start around the response times players on Switch are experiencing (barring a particularly laggy TV).

Worth also stating: There are wind-up frames in the slash (before the white slash frames appear), as the Knight reaches back for its nail, and the jump still has an initial slow start and rise, which is intended to give weight to it. Also, our edge leniency (That grace period as you leave a ledge but can still jump) is much tighter than most platformers, which can surprise new players.

On a joyful note, thanks so much to everyone on Era who's picked up the game for Switch! William and I have loved following the OT, and it's been super motivating for us in the midst of our intense Gods & Glory crunch.
all those things are what makes this game feel so good to me. it really is a great game.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Except all they've done is denial. I'm trying to be constructive but it's really hard considering everyone's attitude. I don't consider their explanation reasonable unless they've actually contacted Unity dev support and see if anything can be done about it. From their response it seems like they haven't. Team cherry: have you contacted Unity dev support to see if anything can be done/fixed about their vsync implementation?
They don't have to be beholden to unity team and the same thing goes in the other direction.

If enough dev teams raise the same concern maybe Unity team will do something about it but they won't do it because you are throwing a tantrum.

Meanwhile the devs you called lazy already addressed the issue in their own way by making sure the encounters are tuned with the input limitations in mind.

So maybe you can put in the effort and level up to the proficiency other people have displayed by advancing in the thread.

Hell I'm currently dealing with a left stick drift issue and I'm progressing.

OP
OP
AtomicShroom

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's sad that this thread has blown up to the point where you had to come in and explain the inner workings of the game. Enjoying the game immensely and just beat the game tonight. Working on the extra content now.

At this point you have gone way beyond being an immature, spoiled brat and are a full-fledged asshole on the internet. What is your development experience that you can spout these accusations? Do you even have any? Or you just an armchair developer that can offer nothing but criticism?

I won't say where I work at, but mods can see, and maybe can attest. I work in dev, and I know what this is. My goal is not to cause grief, but for the devs of Hollow Knight to realize that their game is lacking in one crucial technical aspect that is player control, and I know what I'm talking about. But it seems everyone here has crucified me on cross of ignorance.

I will produce more slomo videos in days to come to get my point across, because I believe input lag is a disease on the whole gaming spectrum. Whichever side you stand on, I can only hope that you remain critical of input latency because it's the only reason I'm holding on for dear life to my CRT HDTV no matter how blurry the edges are, no matter how much fine lines flicker, no matter how much space it takes, only because it provides me with the truest of gaming experience: lagless.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I won't say where I work at, but mods can see, and maybe can attest. I work in dev, and I know what this is. My goal is not to cause grief, but for the devs of Hollow Knight to realize that their game is lacking in one crucial technical aspect that is player control, and I know what I'm talking about. But it seems everyone here has crucified me on cross of ignorance.

I will produce more slomo videos in days to come to get my point across, because I believe input lag is a disease on the whole gaming spectrum. Whichever side you stand on, I can only hope that you remain critical of input latency because it's the only reason I'm holding on for dear life to my CRT HDTV no matter how blurry the edges are, no matter how much fine lines flicker, no matter how much space it takes, only because it provides me with the truest of gaming experience: lagless.

Hey, you do you, I guess. After your atrocious behavior earlier, I doubt many will care about your upcoming videos. I think the real tragedy here is that your obsessive crusade is preventing you from enjoying one of the best games ever made.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Woof, I don't like where this is going.

I'll use this opportunity to say that Hollow Knight is a fantastic game that plays great on the Switch.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Okay so basically, "it's Unity's fault". Have you guys thought about raising the issue with Unity dev support and see if they can possibly provide a solution/fix, instead of taking the lazy route of not investigating it and pretending like it was intended all along? The PC version doesn't seem to suffer from the same issue, so why not challenge Unity dev support on their implementation? Maybe they can even provide a fix?
Wow, fuck off. Jesus christ. Accusing the devs of being lazy AND lying at the same time. Real classy.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe he somehow got the devs themselves to respond and basically called them lazy as response. Crazy. Really enkoying the game btw, Team Cherry!

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Just wanted to post and say that this game really surprised me and is fast becoming a contender for my GOTY.

Fantastic game.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to dogpile on you, but please keep in mind Team Cherry is a two man studio. Hollow Knight is an incredibly well-designed and lenghty game that's among the best Metroidvanias out there — calling these people lazy couldn't be more ridiculous. In all likelihood, they put an ridiculous amount of hours into the development of this game. Even if you don't agree with their decisions — and that's fine obviously, you're entitled to your opinion — be nice and respectful about it.

That being said, even if they didn't investigate the input lag issues further: when developing most of the game basically on your own, you need to make difficult decisions about priorities and if they came to the conclusion that input lag is a lower priority issue that can be designed around, then that's a decision they had to make. A day only has this many hours, you can't do everything.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
And I'm out. I was thankful to you for bringing light on something (minor) I experienced, but your disrespectful attitude (needless hyperboles and calling out the devs) poisoned the very thread you made.
We have answers from the devs themselves, who were kind enough to reply despite your tone. Devs who made a fantastic game, and I am genuinely thankful for the amazing experience they crafted.

This thread does deserve to die.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't want to dogpile on you, but please keep in mind Team Cherry is a two man studio. Hollow Knight is an incredibly well-designed and lenghty game that's among the best Metroidvanias out there — calling these people lazy couldn't be more ridiculous.
Seriously. That's why "lazy dev" rhetoric is so damn toxic and ridiculous. Team Cherry are amazingly talented and I am in awe of the fact that they, along with Ska Studios (Salt and Sanctuary), are duos who produced amazingly polished, high quality, beautiful HD Metroidvanias with tons of content and basically put a lot of larger teams to shame.

In any case, the devs have answered the question of the original topic, so there's not much else to discuss anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.