• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is it some kind of new meta first world problem ?

seems so...

the far badder thing coming from this thread is, that people already say "uhh, no ,there is input lag, no buy" when they are reading the thread title...

but it isn´t hindering the gameplay in any point...you could make such a thread for every game because the input lag in HK is on normal level for a game, at least for 99% of all people. I´ve played games with tremendously bigger input lag, for me it isn´t noticable at all in HK...

OP was already bringing this up in the OT and the review thread and the ratio is really more on the "i don´t notice it" side...

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Where the hell are you people getting your reference points from?

RALgArL.png

This chart explains why I couldn't play GTA4 on console because it felt like every input was delayed. Ran it on my PC at 60fps and it felt soooooo much better

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Where the hell are you people getting your reference points from?

RALgArL.png

lolwut

This is absolutely untrue. Not even fighting games get that low. Inform yourself.

wait till OP finds out most NES and SNES games played on real hardware on a CRT have 2-3 frames of input lag

I went and actually looked this up against other contemporary platformers:

4 frames of input lag for 3D World

4 frames of input lag for NSMB Wii U

https://twitter.com/noodalls/status/856287230217682944

(direct link since I can only apparently post two peices of media)

4 frames of input lag for Mario Maker

If Hollow Knight's input delay is sub 70ms(which admittedly is up for debate since skittzo just posted a video and not necessarily a frame-by-frame breakdown), then that means it's probably somewhere between 4-5 frames of input lag.

Basically, at worst, 1 extra frame of input lag, and makes anyone complaining about 70ms being "horrible" or "high" absolutely ridiculous unless they want to go to town on these three other games.

But the input lag is "ungodly" so this can't be true.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like my boy Billy Shakespeare says: much ado about nothing.

Don't miss out on this wonderful game!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
We're not allowed to play third party on the switch and now that.

Didn't know rules were that harsh for video games.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I played both the PC and Switch versions and haven't noticed anything like that.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
dunno if the op knows this but all games have input lag. 4 frames is like the norm in that regard lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so it seems like the input lag is completely fine and around the same (or less) than most other games. i wonder what the reason was that it bothered op so much. maybe just the fact that the jump is different comapred to a lot of other platformers, there's an intentional delay to convey the weight of the character
i hope no one was turned off of buying the game just because of this thread, i'm close to 50 hours in and it's a fantastic port. if the input lag was horrible some of the harder sections and boss fights would have been impossible but that never was the case

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
If there indeed is any input lag in Hollow Knight it's so brief it's not noticeable.

Source: Me. I haven't noticed it.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
4 frames of input lag is nothing to complain about and actually quite good. That's better response time than some fighting games.

Hollow Knight is a great game, I hope you enjoy it!

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I've played it for about 20 hours so far, on the TV with a Pro Controller and in handheld mode. I haven't noticed any input lag. I'm not saying it isn't there, just that it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game because I haven't realised it was there.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I think OP got confused with input lag and the amount of prejump frames in HK's jump making it seem like there's a high amount of input lag.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It bums me out to see so many posters getting so defensive over the OP clearly demonstrating the amount of input delay and having the gall to care about it, even if they used slightly hyperbolic language while doing so ("ungodly"). He even opens by stressing that it isn't game-breaking! Almost as sad are all the posts saying it somehow doesn't exist simply because they never noticed or cared about it, lol.

It's good information worth sharing, and given that the OP demonstrated another game of the same genre and on the same platform having tangibly less delay, it's completely valid criticism. Yes, even if it can be leveled toward a lot of other video games!

I think OP got confused with input lag and the amount of prejump frames in HK's jump making it seem like there's a high amount of input lag.

This is possible, though, so some other tests would surely be appreciated, right?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sooooo....
did op just conveniently vanish once it was pointed out the game has a very normal, un-ungodly (godly?) amount of input lag?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mentioned in another thread that this could very well be by design. The kind of proof he provides doesn't really say much unless somebody can show us that the PC version is indeed less "laggy". Hell, I'd say the jumps are intentionally made slower on reaction, it'd be far more useful to test this with the attack animation instead.

Personally I'm fairly sensitive to input lag and the game feels extremely responsive in handheld mode, so no complaints.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel you OP. I personally didn't think it was too bad but there's nothing worse when you want to enjoy a game but something bothers you.

It'sYaBoi

Oct 31, 2017
I gotta step in and defend OP here. I don't think he has malicious intent. OP I've been playing exclusively on docked mode so I can't comment on handheld, but there is DEFINITELY a bit of input lag that seems way more than the norm.

Not unplayable by any means. And to be honest it mostly seems like the jump button, but I feel like I notice it in the attack as well. This game has several platforming/enemy encounters that require split second timing and you just have to be THAT much faster in your reaction which can be frustrating.

Rare that I notice it in games but I noticed it here and thought I was going crazy.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It bums me out to see so many posters getting so defensive over the OP clearly demonstrating the amount of input delay and having the gall to care about it, even if they used slightly hyperbolic language while doing so ("ungodly"). He even opens by stressing that it isn't game-breaking! Almost as sad are all the posts saying it somehow doesn't exist simply because they never noticed or cared about it, lol.

It's good information worth sharing, and given that the OP demonstrated another game of the same genre and on the same platform having tangibly less delay, it's completely valid criticism. Yes, even if it can be leveled toward a lot of other video games!

This is possible, though, so some other tests would surely be appreciated, right?

Some more tests would be nice to see but even in his own video, 4 frames of button to screen reaction is really good and above norm. CRT nes games had 2-3 frames of button to screen reaction. Most games today have about 4 frames of delay purely in-engine without accounting for the screen itself. I don't want to disregard's OP's feeling of input lag so that's why I theorize that it's probably the pre-animations frames of Hollow Knight that's actually bothering OP.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what basis is there to defend op when his video shows a perfectly normal amount of input lag?
as it has been said many time, there's an intentional delay for the jump. it would have been better if someone tested the input lag for another action.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not so much that Hollow Knight has bad input lag but rather that Blossom Tales has amazingly low input lag.

Deleted member 14663

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played 30 hours, finished it and not one time did I think there was any input lag. I found the Switch port to be quite perfect. Did have one crash though and there is an animation bug I informed the devs about.
I guess I am blessed in a way for not having issues with this as much as some people.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at something like 16 hours and haven't noticed any input lag at all. And there have been some bosses that I've faced that require split second reactions.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Hollow Knight when they announced it on the Switch but hadn't played it yet. I just fired it up to see if OP was right because I usually hate input lag and will notice it. I just played in handheld mode and it seemed perfectly fine. Any normal Switch user should fine it more than acceptable. OP, maybe your Switch is messed up.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's hilarious to me that anyone would think you can get to NES levels of low input latency. There are so many contributing factors that just weren't a thing before. Take into consideration the built in latency that a console will have. The engine the game is built on can also have some latency. And then there's your TV. And it's also possible that there's wireless interference on your controller too.

Anyway. I played the game for about 3 hours during my flight today. I didn't notice anything weird about inputs at all.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
there is no issue here, the input lag is pretty much identical to most other modern games these days, including mario titles and various 2d fighting games.
I think your having an issue with the jump animation (first person i've seen with this) and assuming the game has more than usual input lag but it doesn't, try the same tests on other actions and you'll realise its not a problem.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Personally I was really thrown off with the jumping when I first played it on PC last year. I don't exactly remember what it was but it felt a bit weird, but everything else was fine. I got used to it after an hour or so and had zero problems with it for the rest of the game, but initially maybe that was it?

Is it even possible that input lag exists for some actions and not others?

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Damn thread backfired much?

I wonder if OP is talking about the "lag" that happens when you hit an enemy/object with a downward sword or getting hit....Which is very intented.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I do notice that sometimes I will randomly miss a jump or an attack by a few frames. It can be frustrating especially during boss battles or some of the harder platforming challenges.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I was experiencing some really awful input lag (playing in docked mode), then I moved my switch closer and it was SUBSTANTIALLY better. I still think there is a little, but it is within the playable limit. It definitely doesn't feel as responsive as CotM did on the PS4.

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
How so . Which games? Because so far you are wrong

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNES/c...y_analysis_of_nes_snes_classics_and_retropie/

Here's info on NES and SNES. 2 frames for SMB on NES, 3 for Yoshi's island on SNES. 1 or 2 frames is minor but noticeable for many players (just ask speedrunners!)

In case you didn't see my earlier post, my point was that the best-known games in the genre are on older hardware, so many people will be used to less lag in this genre. Or at least speaking from personal experience, most of my time playing platformers is on NES and SNES.

I stand by my point that the lag isn't too bad but is more than ideal— especially when you consider the hardware is capable of less lag as proven in the OP. I understand most people don't care or notice this amount of lag, but myself and many other posters in this thread do. Again, nothing major, just wish it could be better.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I've noticed is input lag being tiny bit different between docked and handheld mode. In PoP/WhitePalace I have to time pogojumps a bit differently, but it just takes a couple of seconds till muscle memory kicks in.

But yeah, input lag is not by any means bad. Actually I think is better than other platformers/Metroidvania. HK has really tight controls.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
No one going to address the OP is claiming that Blossom Tale on the Switch has less input lag than an SNES game on a CRT?

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
No one going to address the OP is claiming that Blossom Tale on the Switch has less input lag than an SNES game on a CRT?

What's there to address, the proof is literally in the video. As others have said, that's really impressive for Blossom Tale, but the proof is right there. My understanding is that integrated handheld systems are able to keep lag extremely low if well-designed, so this isn't a shock.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What's there to address, the proof is literally in the video. As others have said, that's really impressive for Blossom Tale, but the proof is right there. My understanding is that integrated handheld systems are able to keep lag extremely low if well-designed, so this isn't a shock.

Because from everything I know on the subject it's absolutely not possible. Taking the panel (it's IPS) lag, the time for the controller to send the signal, and the time for the game engine to process it there's just no way the input lag is at 16ms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.