• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just did it dude, what a rush. I got to radiance 4 times before being able to kill him, it's pretty intense having to clutch it after 43 bosses. That final ascent dodging the beams is wild.

Clip of the last two fights. I absolutely love the Vessel encounter, one of my favorite bosses ever.

Congrats! Getting the platinum in Hollow Knight is the most challenging thing I've done in a game I think.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the Radiance!

Insane boss fight. I was really, really struggling on it, but then a video recommended Deep Focus and quick focus together, which lets you recover 2 masks for the price and speed of one. That was a gamechanger for me. Before that I was losing health faster than I could heal it and was getting very fustrated, but after I switched charms, I felt like I could finally compete.

In the end, I didn't go with the abyss shrieking spamming strategy because of that. However, I did use it to quickly get past the phase where swords are constantly raining down on you as that was the hardest part for me.

I was shaking during the final phase. Got hit a few times and fell into the void a few times. BUT I DID IT.

Loved the game. One of the best.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the Radiance!

Insane boss fight. I was really, really struggling on it, but then a video recommended Deep Focus and quick focus together, which lets you recover 2 masks for the price and speed of one. That was a gamechanger for me. Before that I was losing health faster than I could heal it and was getting very fustrated, but after I switched charms, I felt like I could finally compete.

In the end, I didn't go with the abyss shrieking spamming strategy because of that. However, I did use it to quickly get past the phase where swords are constantly raining down on you as that was the hardest part for me.

I was shaking during the final phase. Got hit a few times and fell into the void a few times. BUT I DID IT.

Loved the game. One of the best.

0lebsxhfjdb41.png

Have you done any of the Grimm Troupe stuff? If not, I'd recommend doing that at least. The godmaster DLC is excellent but I'd only recommend it if you're keen on doing a very difficult boss rush mode. In either case, if you do beat the Grimm DLC, you probably know if you're up for more tough boss fighting like that.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Picked this up again as finishing Dread hugely rekindled my desire to play Metroidvanias, I put about 15 hours in and I think I must have just put it down one day and got distracted by something else because it doesn't seem like I gave up before any specific boss fight or anything, but it's been over two years since I last played.

Has anyone got any good returners guides/tips? Most of the ones I can find seem to be very geared toward beginners and I have too many upgrades for them to be relevant. I've just beaten Dung Defender and Soul Warrior.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Nice bump!! I beat this recently. Took me 65 hours at 95%. It moved into one of my favorite games of all time list. I'm going through some older Metroid on GBA now before doing Dread. Might also hit some GBA Castlevania action as well.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up again as finishing Dread hugely rekindled my desire to play Metroidvanias, I put about 15 hours in and I think I must have just put it down one day and got distracted by something else because it doesn't seem like I gave up before any specific boss fight or anything, but it's been over two years since I last played.

Has anyone got any good returners guides/tips? Most of the ones I can find seem to be very geared toward beginners and I have too many upgrades for them to be relevant. I've just beaten Dung Defender and Soul Warrior.

If you have beaten Soul Warrior, keep exploring that area (upwards).

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So a youtuber I watch, Materwelonz, has been playing through this. I just learned that if you go to the howling wraiths upgrade room after exiting the void heart sequence, the game flags that as leaving the entire area and you miss the Hornet conversation coming back up out of the Abyss.

Was a bummer to see because she has been playing through very methodically in deciphering the lore and story, and that's a pretty crucial moment to miss.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
So a youtuber I watch, Materwelonz, has been playing through this. I just learned that if you go to the howling wraiths upgrade room after exiting the void heart sequence, the game flags that as leaving the entire area and you miss the Hornet conversation coming back up out of the Abyss.

Was a bummer to see because she has been playing through very methodically in deciphering the lore and story, and that's a pretty crucial moment to miss.

Question... she already has Shade Cloak, or got Void Heart before it? If not, then it is possible to trigger that scene.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Question... she already has Shade Cloak, or got Void Heart before it? If not, then it is possible to trigger that scene.
I think she had shade cloak before void heart. Regardless she's been back down there to get the joni charm and abyssal shriek and it still didn't trigger.

She did see the final Seer dialogue which was nice.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Has anyone else had a problem of sometimes the game not detecting the jump button input when platforming? Started this on PS5 and its annoying me to the point of being frustrating.

I cant tell if there is latency or if it just me messing up but it doesn't feel as crisp as a lot of other 2D platformers.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else had a problem of sometimes the game not detecting the jump button input when platforming? Started this on PS5 and its annoying me to the point of being frustrating.

I cant tell if there is latency or if it just me messing up but it doesn't feel as crisp as a lot of other 2D platformers.

You have the press the jump button a few hundred milliseconds earlier in Hollow Knight than in other games. I presume it's intentional, but I'm not sure. You get used to it fairly quickly