• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
GPZ does too in his last version. I like NKG way more, he's a much better designed fight.

As many tend to say, NKG's fight feels like a dance. Though it may take some time for you to actually really participate in, lol. I think the same applies for
Pure Vessel
and, more than anything really,
the 3 glorious Sisters of Battle!

Dec 13, 2017
Alright, bought this game when it was on sale on the Nintendo eShop since everyone was raving about it.
At first it didn't hook me but at around 8 hours in and I "got out of the wilderness" the game finally sunk its teeth in to me pretty hard.
I'm completely blown away this game cost me $9.90 and even then at the full price of $15 it's crazy how classy and polished this game is.
On top of that there's all the excellent art and superb music.

Right now I'm at 41 hours and 97% completion. Have all the upgrades minus one final mask (missing the last two mask shards), missing a few grubs (I just don't care enough to get them) and haven't done any Grimm Troupe or Godseeker content.

Problem is I just beat the main story final boss and
got the bad ending
. After that I did some Googling and see I need to
get 1800 essence to awaken the Dream Nail.
Right now I'm at
1550 essence
and basically get my butt kicked by any of the
dream bosses.
Any suggestions on how to 'git gud' so I can kill one of these things? Maybe I'm missing a fundamental strategy with this game and that could be holding me back? I know to look for the tells and to have patience for your opening but there just seems to be a huge jump in game difficulty at this point. I would like to get the better endings but it looks like I'm stuck at a skill barrier. Thoughts? Tips?

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Alright, bought this game when it was on sale on the Nintendo eShop since everyone was raving about it.
At first it didn't hook me but at around 8 hours in and I "got out of the wilderness" the game finally sunk its teeth in to me pretty hard.
I'm completely blown away this game cost me $9.90 and even then at the full price of $15 it's crazy how classy and polished this game is.
On top of that there's all the excellent art and superb music.

Right now I'm at 41 hours and 97% completion. Have all the upgrades minus one final mask (missing the last two mask shards), missing a few grubs (I just don't care enough to get them) and haven't done any Grimm Troupe or Godseeker content.

Problem is I just beat the main story final boss and
got the bad ending
. After that I did some Googling and see I need to
get 1800 essence to awaken the Dream Nail.
Right now I'm at
1550 essence
and basically get my butt kicked by any of the
dream bosses.
Any suggestions on how to 'git gud' so I can kill one of these things? Maybe I'm missing a fundamental strategy with this game and that could be holding me back? I know to look for the tells and to have patience for your opening but there just seems to be a huge jump in game difficulty at this point. I would like to get the better endings but it looks like I'm stuck at a skill barrier. Thoughts? Tips?
If you're talking dream warriors,
Marmu in the Queen's Gardens is easy af, just stand in a corner and slash.
If we're talking actual bosses
Failed Champion only has like 3 moves, just keep dashing under him as he jumps at you, get a couple hits in, swap sides again. If you're in trouble, Descending Dark.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm probably fairly early on but this game is really good so far. Playing on PS4.

I just got the cloak which lets you glide a bit in the air. The boss for this item was a fun fight nice to learn old school patterns to bosses again. Anyway, without spoiling how huge is the game? Is there a lot of secrets? I wanna discover everything myself and don't wanna know about items or what you can get but just how big the game is. It's really fun so far. Tight controls too. I really enjoyed the vegetation level where you get the cloak ability.

Nice soundtrack too hope it gets a bit more upbeat and isn't somber all the time?

It seems kinda open ended but not? There's areas I can go to but they're either too dark or feel like I'm playing in the wrong order?

What missable trophies are there if any?

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, beating NKG the first time I certainly an order of magnitude harder than beating GPZ's first couple of levels. He's just so fast and you don't know when best to hit him at first. But still, eventually you can read him perfectly. Reading Zote perfectly is much harder and there's some RNG bullshit, too, if nothing else with his summon. And yeh, eventually when you get one or two-shot his unpredictability and slight randomness can be really obnoxious.

Is there anything for beating Zote multiple times? I've beaten him I think 5 times now
which I see has made the bug girl leave and the journal change
but does anything else happen or do I just keep fighting him for fun now?

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Welp, I got to

The second fight with Mantis in Kingdom's Edge. I kinda feel like my single nail upgrade isn't cutting it anymore (pun intended). I tried going up the middle of the main city and hit the boss where it's like 6 or so huge knights that spin around and got truly destroyed. Reading this thread, I'm gonna go for some nail upgrades and get into the hive area also.

How do I unlock the trams? I recently got the double jump.

Radiance wasn't that bad either really. Still, love all the souls references and how
Hollow is basically Gwyn and Radiance is Moon Presence
When I first saw HK I thought of Artorias at once, his whole posture reminds me of him. And then his arm and being infected by the abyss he tried to fight.
Cloth gave me a strong Onion Knight vibe. And Quirrel a bit of Solair, maybe?
How do I unlock the trams? I recently got the double jump.
The ticket lies in Deepnest. You are able to get there already, although the area is kinda tough - and so creepy. .__. But I think it's worth the efford.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything for beating Zote multiple times? I've beaten him I think 5 times now
which I see has made the bug girl leave and the journal change
but does anything else happen or do I just keep fighting him for fun now?

Eventually, his statue turns Silver (I think, not sure when) and then gold if you beat him 10 times. Afterward, you cannot refight him there anymore.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
I really wanna get this done 100+% but I couldn't beat that
true final boss
for the life of me. Have left the game for a couple weeks now and feeling the urge to come back and try again. I feel like I just need to take things slower and.. be better honestly, but would appreciate any tips if anyone's got any!

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
When I first saw HK I thought of Artorias at once, his whole posture reminds me of him. And then his arm and being infected by the abyss he tried to fight.
Cloth gave me a strong Onion Knight vibe. And Quirrel a bit of Solair, maybe?
That's a good point, the flailing style and how he's guarding the area the cycle renews made me think of Gwyn, but yours is better. Best I can think of for Hornet is Lady Maria.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
true final boss
for the life of me. Have left the game for a couple weeks now and feeling the urge to come back and try again. I feel like I just need to take things slower and.. be better honestly, but would appreciate any tips if anyone's got any!

Yeah and the fact that you have to replay HK every time doesn't help either. Must have done it after 15 tries though. Grim is my personal true bane

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
true final boss
If you have trouble with the boss, change your charms loadout. Quick focus is pretty useful here. Otherwise, don't get too greedy.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
true final boss
I went with unbreakable (fragile) strength and heart, quick slash and quick focus. Burst down HK, don't bother healing since you get your masks back for R, then take it steady and dash through his attacks.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah and the fact that you have to replay HK every time doesn't help either. Must have done it after 15 tries though. Grim is my personal true bane
If you have trouble with the boss, change your charms loadout. Quick focus is pretty useful here. Otherwise, don't get too greedy.
I went with unbreakable (fragile) strength and heart, quick slash and quick focus. Burst down HK, don't bother healing since you get your masks back for R, then take it steady and dash through his attacks.

Thanks all! Kinda figured this was the best way to go, deff gotten greedy n impatient when I tried before. Once it's done I think I'll be satisfied, the boss rushes n refights are.. outta my league.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
New Pantheon of Hallownest speedrun world record. Interesting because this guy used a nail-based build, while the previous WR holder used a spell build.
https://www.speedrun.com/hollowknight/Godhome#Any

Crazy stuff because this guy built around the near-death charm. Some very slick movement and close calls on the final boss.
Video link: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av34102694

Absolutely crazy and just out of this world. Was already impressed by the old record, but this is beating the old record by a minute, which is a lot for a speedrun.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The speedruns always demonstrate how damn good the Descending Dark invincibility frames are. Never really bothered learning to use those well. Not until I tried to do some of the Radiant difficulty bosses in Godseeker (as in, killing them without getting hit once). Watcher Knight(s) and Nailmaster Mato + Oro in particular made me realize I should use that more already.

Dec 13, 2017
If you're talking dream warriors,
Marmu in the Queen's Gardens is easy af, just stand in a corner and slash.
If we're talking actual bosses
Failed Champion only has like 3 moves, just keep dashing under him as he jumps at you, get a couple hits in, swap sides again. If you're in trouble, Descending Dark.

Got all the dream warriors and stuff, just need to down an actual boss. Thanks for pointing this out! Didn't even see it and it looks pretty easy.

Those are the dreamers. I think vasyndrom1 is referring to the dream bosses, like Lost Kin/White Defender/GPZ. (At least, I assume they are, if they're sitting at 106/107%)

Yea i'm reffering to those you mentioned and still got to beat if i remember correctly: Soul Tyrant and White Defender. I've already got 2400 Essence and all of those Dream Warriors are past now. To be honest only Markoth gave me a little bit of trouble and i still have to beat the game lol :D

As mentioned earlier right now i'm stuck on trial of fools which is giving me a little bit of trouble as i'm using basicly only my Pure Nail + Mark Of Pride + Unbreakable Strenght and finally Soul Eater, it looks like it's time to change this set up for something else :D

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing this game for real after platinuming DQ11, and my god what a wonderful game, by far the best Metroidvania ever. No game in that subgenre beats this in terms of exploration and the sense of discovery, and the map system is genius. Played roughly 10 hours so far, and finding the difficulty level quite good; only one boss so far has forced me to retry a couple of times. Seems the game just keeps getting better and better as well!

Ok, I have two weird things I'd like to discuss.

First would be about Bretta. Sadly I rescued her quite late, so I skipped the whole part where she would be fond of my knight and was already all over Zote. *sob*
I just couldn't figure out how to get to her.
Went there from time to time, jumping around and hitting everything, even tried with magic etc. But for some reason never went through the wall. Bummer.
After I defeated HK for the first time, I went back once again - and suddenly the hole in the wall was visible?!
I checked the Hollow Knight Wiki and watched YT Videos - in some the hole was there, in some hidden. But it was nowhere mentioned what triggers it. I'm not even sure why they decided to reveal the secret eventually. Does somebody know more about that?

The second is more something strange that happend in my last session. Did Grimm and went off to collect the new flames - and died pretty often. Dealing 2 HP damage is my kryptonite. I was in the Hive for the third flame and died. When I rushed back, I was surprised to find the room suddenly full of enemies and the flame gone. Checked the charm and it showed me 3 flames collected. Wtf?
I can only guess, that the moment I took damage, he may have died as well from maybe a shot from the grimmchild..?
Anyone had something similar?

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
You can save Bretta right from the beginning. You just gotta go left from where you get the Dashmaster charm as you can just walk through the walls, or rather they fade away when you get close as they do with all secret paths. If you're wondering how you're supposed to notice that, you should be hearing noise from mushroom mobs coming from that direction.

As for those grimm flames, yeh, probably just died at roughly the same time.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I just had my Steel Soul run die on me in Kingdom's Edge and I have no fucking clue why?!

I entered a secret passage, in which you have to use Desolate Dive to get to a very large Geo Deposit at the bottom of it and it just killed me after I collected the Geo. I was at full health, too, since there were multiple Soul Recharge stations there...

WTF just happened? I'm kinda mad, because the savefile is obviously gone now....

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
So I beat False Knight and then got the powerup and defeated the bug. Then the Map guy said to go to his shop to buy a new map but there's nothing available? I know the next step is to go to the Green Zone but I'm kinda wary of going without a map.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
So I beat False Knight and then got the powerup and defeated the bug. Then the Map guy said to go to his shop to buy a new map but there's nothing available? I know the next step is to go to the Green Zone but I'm kinda wary of going without a map.

You only need to go to his shop, if you missed him in an area. There will be a letter on the ground saying that you missed him, in that case. You usually want to buy all the maps directly off of him, whenever you find him in a new area.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
You only need to go to his shop, if you missed him in an area. There will be a letter on the ground saying that you missed him, in that case. You usually want to buy all the maps directly off of him, whenever you find him in a new area.
That's what I got after defeating false knight. He said to go to his wife's shop. I did and bought everything off her I could but no map. So I assume he's gone to the Green zone or somewhere else.

Jun 12, 2018
So I'm probably fairly early on but this game is really good so far. Playing on PS4.

I just got the cloak which lets you glide a bit in the air. The boss for this item was a fun fight nice to learn old school patterns to bosses again. Anyway, without spoiling how huge is the game? Is there a lot of secrets? I wanna discover everything myself and don't wanna know about items or what you can get but just how big the game is. It's really fun so far. Tight controls too. I really enjoyed the vegetation level where you get the cloak ability.

Nice soundtrack too hope it gets a bit more upbeat and isn't somber all the time?

It seems kinda open ended but not? There's areas I can go to but they're either too dark or feel like I'm playing in the wrong order?

What missable trophies are there if any?

If you want to discover everything then you have, a long, long way to go.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are no longer any miss able trophies.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
I think he leaves the message in any case, whether you've already bought the map or not.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I think he leaves the message in any case, whether you've already bought the map or not.

I worded that poorly, yeah. Meant that he will leave a note, even if you miss him. He does also leave a note when you buy the map, which is why I asked if the map for Forgotten Crossroads actually shows up.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Wow, I was just poking through the wiki and found out that Confessor Jiji is replaced with a new NPC if you play on Steel Soul mode. I never bothered opening up his house when I did a Steel Soul run, so I completely missed it. It's wild how much stuff there is to see in this game.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
At the beginning of the game, when i was loosing most of my money, i thought it would be cool to have
a bank to deposit money
. So when i actually discovered the
bank
, that was awesome. But even more awesome was the fact that when
i had a lot of cash at the bank and went back to collect, the bank was gone and even had an animation in which the front end collapsed. This was such a nice touch, although i lost quite a bit of money then :). Is this something that only happens if you have a lot of money deposited?

Anyhow, i spent a lot of hours with this game and visited quite a few areas. I had a peek at a map and it seems i discovered most of the areas. However, due to spending a lot of time with it (a lot more than most players due to not being good at it), i'm feeling a bit of fatigue setting in. So i'm taking a break and hope to come back to this at some point in the future. I have no clue how far i am into the story and what i actually have to do to progress the story (other than keep on exploring). Still, i enjoyed my time with Hollow Knight a lot and i spent more time with this than most other games. Yet i feel there is so much still to discover...

So when i actually discovered the
bank
, that was awesome. But even more awesome was the fact that when
i had a lot of cash at the bank and went back to collect, the bank was gone and even had an animation in which the front end collapsed. This was such a nice touch, although i lost quite a bit of money then :). Is this something that only happens if you have a lot of money deposited?
Exactly the same way I felt about it! =D
I even accepted detours just to give my money to her and have it save. Saved up quite a bit to buy something and was rather furious at first.
She disappears when you give her more than 2500 Geo. You can find her and retrieve it + a bit more - I like to call it consolation fee - later in another place.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly the same way I felt about it! =D
I even accepted detours just to give my money to her and have it save. Saved up quite a bit to buy something and was rather furious at first.
She disappears when you give her more than 2500 Geo. You can find her and retrieve it + a bit more - I like to call it consolation fee - later in another place.

I've been all over the place but i haven't encountered her again. That's awesome. I don't know why but i found the whole bank thing (both the discovery and her running away with the money) such an awesome detail.

Oct 27, 2017
Started the game two days ago in the afternoon, and lost track of where 5 hours went. Only stopped because I realized it was very late and I needed to eat dinner. This game is dangerous to productivity.

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure if i should ask here, but, they are done with patchs? i want to play but i want to get all dlc or fixes, the game is amazing! amazing job

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if i should ask here, but, they are done with patchs? i want to play but i want to get all dlc or fixes, the game is amazing! amazing job

They are done for now with actual content updates, but might still have stability and miscellaneous patches. The next DLC, which will be the Hornet DLC, is scheduled for 2019. No major info on that, though.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is too damn good! After a long struggle, I finaly beat NKG. Now all that's left are the last two pantheons which seem super daunting. Wish me luck!

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I think i need take some break again from this game as i can't beat Trial of Fool.

I'm stuck at the wave where there're spikes on the floor and both walls are around qarter closer. :/

Trial of the Fool is tricky, especially if you are missing upgrades. I abused the Dream Nail a lot in that fight and let those Knights live to heal back up completely. You can do this on quite a few predicatable enemies and you should absolutely do it, after you beat the midair section.

Pretty sure I did a Nail Build with Nailmasters Glory, Quick Slash and Longnail. The damage of the Charge Slash is just very good. Also saw people using/recommending Sharp Shadow in that fight, but I'm not a fan. Dashing through enemies and dealing damage to them while doing so is fine, but I had a hard time with flying enemies and I also had a hard time adjusting to that 33% longer dash. Felt like my Nail Build was way better in that situation.

Hope the tips are helping. Good luck!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
How quickly can/should I have the Dream Nail? I have the Mothwing cloak and Mantis Claw, so I'm able to dash and wall jump. I looked at the wiki, and it seems like by this point I should have access to the City of Tears and/or the Resting Grounds?

Head for the City of Tears.
What you should have to get to the Resting Grounds a bit later is
the lamp and Desolate Dive.
You could reach the Grounds now, but for that you would have to travel through a pretty tough area you are not leveled for. No need to force your way to the Dream Nail, just have a look around the City for now.