• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Playing right now on Xbox. :)

God I wish this game had HDR support, that'd be great but it still holds up nicely of course.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, since no one seems to have posted these yet:

1. You can double-tap the map button to quick access the world map.
2. You can "over charm" by repeatedly trying to jam in a badge that costs more than the notches you have remaining, but you will take double damage.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Team Cherry is awesome. Providing a 20% discount for early purchasers. I bought in the Mexican eshop for about $7. Seems like they just want to get this game into more people's hands. Get that positive WOM going. Hope this game does really well on Xbox and PS4. It seems to have done exceptionally well on Switch (and PC)

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
20% discount on Xbox for a week? Sure, I'll bite.

I already own it on Steam, but I have yet to play it. Nonetheless, I love Team Cherry's pro-consumer positioning: free (smaller) DLC upgrades featuring new bosses, and a market-friendly price point.

d3nchija

Oct 28, 2017
London
Own it on steam, but simply had to buy it again on xbox.
I don't remember any other game that I've pressed "buy" button so fast and so hard when I found out it's available.

Oct 25, 2017
México
So that means the game has more content bundled in with the. Ase game on PS4/XB1 than Switch for the same price of $14.99?
No. Same content.

On the PS4/Xbox you will get all the content at the same time. On the Switch the content was added gradually (every time Team Cherry finished the content).

For example, the Godmasters DLC was just added last month to both Steam and Switch.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Same content.

On the PS4/Xbox you will get all the content at the same time. On the Switch the content was added gradually (every time Team Cherry finished the content).

For example, the Godmasters DLC was just added last month to both Steam and Switch.
Ohhhh. So if I buy it now on Switch I'd be getting the same content as on PS4! Got it. Thanks.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Holly shit !!! I played about 6 hours on the switch but had to fight the shitty d pad of both the pro controller and joycons not to mention the low 720p ( still looks good mind you but still ). Played about an hour on my ps4 pro and the game instantly feels much better , the DS4 d pad shape and position make controlling the game a breeze compared to the switch, haven't missed a jump or been hit so far . And finally it looks much sharper, i don't know if it's higher than 1080p but it still look sharp , and the cherry on the top are the precious trophies :)

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to say I'm super disappointed that there is no Scorpio support, because I'm just grateful to finally play it on my xbox

... but I'm pretty dang disappointed in no Scorpio support.

Hopefully someone can ask them if they plan to

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong on both counts.

Still a very good game though. One of the best metroidvanias in years,
But the competition sucks so it's not as impressive as it sounds.

There's tons of great Metroidvania games all the time. People just don't pay attention when they're not called Metroid or Castlevania.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Holly shit !!! I played about 6 hours on the switch but had to fight the shitty d pad of both the pro controller and joycons not to mention the low 720p ( still looks good mind you but still ). Played about an hour on my ps4 pro and the game instantly feels much better , the DS4 d pad shape and position make controlling the game a breeze compared to the switch, haven't missed a jump or been hit so far . And finally it looks much sharper, i don't know if it's higher than 1080p but it still look sharp , and the cherry on the top are the precious trophies :)
I've played an hour so far and can see I will love it. I have been using the analog stick and find it really comfortable on PS4 weirdly.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
No 4k support for consoles kinda bums me out.

No real reason for me to pick this up on the pro/X1 when I can just finish the game on the switch.

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to say I'm super disappointed that there is no Scorpio support, because I'm just grateful to finally play it on my xbox

... but I'm pretty dang disappointed in no Scorpio support.

Hopefully someone can ask them if they plan to

Yeah, I was also expecting a res bump on Pro. I asked them on twitter, but I doubt they will answer.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
playing the game along with the rest of era when it came to switch was truly special, i wish i could erase it from memory and do it all over again with yall.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Since the game is constructed of 2D assets, has Team Cherry said whether the "native" resolution the assets were created at was 4K or 1080p? Certainly, the PC version is capable of scaling the assets to 4K for sure.

I would find it hard to believe that they hand drew every part of the game and only did so at 1080p, usually all artists work down from a much higher resolution than is ever used, but hey, I could be wrong.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going straight from mainlining Dead Cells to this is pretty weird when you're still platforming and fighting, but hitboxes and jumps are completely and utterly different. Made it to the first boss...and I have absolutely no idea how to fight him in this world of mysterious hitboxes, but I'm sure I'll figure it out on the second go.

I feel like I'll probably enjoy this game once it gets going but not having a roll or block or dash or anything at the start is bumming me out.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I would find it hard to believe that they hand drew every part of the game and only did so at 1080p, usually all artists work down from a much higher resolution than is ever used, but hey, I could be wrong.

The question is not what they worked at but what resolution was "targeted" for the PC release. They probably either targeted 1080p or 4K with the assets and then scale appropriately. Unity puts all the 2D elements together at whatever resolution you specify on PC and scales them as needed. With this art style I believe the differences would be fairly minor. My ultimate point is that I would not skip this game due to the lack Pro/X support. In a game like this it really wouldn't make that huge of a difference (IMO).

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I had a chance to play on Vita via direct remote play with my PS4 and it's good. I just had remap my R2 and L2 to R1 and R2 and then assigning my the previous R2\L2 to the upper right/left of the touchscreen. It feels really solid.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
The question is not what they worked at but what resolution was "targeted" for the PC release. They probably either targeted 1080p or 4K with the assets and then scale appropriately. Unity puts all the 2D elements together at whatever resolution you specify on PC and scales them as needed. With this art style I believe the differences would be fairly minor. My ultimate point is that I would not skip this game due to the lack Pro/X support. In a game like this it really wouldn't make that huge of a difference (IMO).

Oh my man, I aint skippin one bit.

I bought this on PC and I only have a surface that cant play it. I would buy it full price anytime I could.

May 18, 2018
Played a couple hours and done the first boss. Feels like game is just starting now - nice!

Enjoying the atmosphere but its a little off putting with what I'd describe as 'babyish' sounds from bugs and what not. Weird and not a fan. It doesn't fit with the rest of the atmosphere. :-(

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Played a couple hours and done the first boss. Feels like game is just starting now - nice!

Enjoying the atmosphere but its a little off putting with what I'd describe as 'babyish' sounds from bugs and what not. Weird and not a fan. It doesn't fit with the rest of the atmosphere. :-(

Man, I love the sounds the creatures make. The grubs always make me smile.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

lies-kids-tell-parents-10.gif

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
A few hours in, beat the first boss, bought the pen and bits from the store and started exploring the green something garden looking area.

Game only gets better the more I'm playing. The art and music are awesome.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Excited for all the players that will eventually fall in love with this gem of a game. Those who like getting lost and exploring a dark, mysterious world are in for such a treat.

I'm not gonna buy this again for myself since I'm happy with my Switch copy, but I'll be following this thread just to read more impressions and in-depth thoughts from new players!

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Are you marked on the map or do you just have to kinda know where you are?

Not by default. You can buy a charm from a shop on the surface that you can wear to mark your place on the map. The shop also sells a bunch of arguably vital stuff like the having benches marked or the ability to update the map with places you've visted after you rest on a bench.