• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Dn9JP1qWsAAxoha.jpg

Descend into the Dark

Beneath the fading town of Dirtmouth sleeps an ancient, forgotten kingdom. Many are drawn beneath the surface searching for riches, or glory, or answers to old secrets. As the enigmatic Hollow Knight, you'll traverse the depths, unravel its mysteries and conquer its evils.

Original OT

Platforms: PC (Linux, Windows, Mac), Switch
Release Date:​
PC: (Linux, Windows) February 24th, 2017
Mac: March 28th, 2017
Switch: June 12th, 2018
PS4/XB1: September 25th, 2018​

Price: $14.99/£10.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical (Physical coming Spring 2019)
Developer: Team Cherry
File Size: 9GB (PC), 3.5GB (Switch)​

infol8oru.png

What kind of game is this?
Hollow Knight is a 2D platformer in the vein of Metroid where you will move through a, hand-drawn, interconnected world while gaining abilities and combating enemies.

What are some of the features/mechanics in Hollow Knight?
A Hunter's Journal that you can add enemies and bosses to, a Dream Nail that allows you to leap into the minds of NPCs/enemies and equippable charms that offer bizarre new powers and abilities.

Are there unlockable modes?
Beating the game will unlock Steel Soul Mode which is described as "the ultimate challenge".

Any enhancements for Pro and X Consoles?
TBA.

Do the console versions include all the previous updates?
Yes, the Voidheart Edition and Switch version includes all content updates (Hidden Dreams, The Grimm Troupe, Lifeblood and Gods & Glory) from the PC release.

Are there still more content updates coming to the game?
A paid update will be coming in the future featuring a new playable character, Hornet.

Physical Release?
Early Next Year on PS4, Xbox One and Switch.
Cancelled.

How long is it?
Around 30 hours to complete, 40-50 hours to 100% it. And then there are still some optional parts (DLC and stuff) that add a whole other couple of hours.

trailersq9r1d.png

1-copyfxoxo.jpg
2-copyq0oz3.jpg
3-copy26p5o.jpg

4-copyvcrv7.jpg
5-copyy9qh2.jpg
6-copy4oo6m.jpg

reviewsagp1t.png

Metacritic

Destructoid 10/10
Hollow Knight is not only what I'd say is the best game so far this year, it also very well may be the best metroidvania title out there right now, and it is easily one of my favorite games of all-time. Truly a masterpiece of gaming if there ever was one, and certainly art worthy of being in a museum.

PC Gamer 92/10
The more effort I put into it, the more Hollow Knight rewarded me with thrilling challenges and beautiful, storied caverns to discover. I reached 100% completion practically by accident. I just wanted to keep exploring all the mysteries the world had to offer me—and I still managed to completely miss the Mr. Mushroom side quest without knowing it—but others could happily choose to stop sooner and it would still be worth the journey. I overlooked it initially, but 35 hours later I can confidently say Hollow Knight is one of the best games I've played.

linksn7rn3.png

Steam
GOG
Switch
Playstation 4
Xbox One

Last edited:

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't really done much with the most recent DLC on the Switch version

I might just double dip and play through again on PS4

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Strange, playstation.com says size of the game - 5.04GB in their info page, but i'm downloading over 10GB file on my PS4.

btw great OT.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Double dip here too.

Obligatory to any metroidvania true fan.

The OST is a masterpiece, Hornet's Theme all the way.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A word of warning for anyone coming to this game for the first time because they see the Metroidvania label: the first few hours can be a little rough, confusing, and disorienting. The map system in this game is unlike other Metroidvanias where you have to buy your map in each area, and you'll be essentially blind in that area until you do so.

It almost turned me off from the game entirely, but I stuck with it and ended up loving the game a lot.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I just started playing this on the Switch and I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is. There's not a lot of hand-holding from the get go, which indeed is a bit confusing at first, but the game is linear enough to not be too rough about it (note I am not saying it is linear, it is not, but there is somewhat of a logical progression through the game which is good). I wish that they put benches closer to bosses however, as they can be quite tricky and it is annoying having to travel back to them from the nearest bench.

Aug 29, 2018
This game is one of my favorites of the generation and is my favorite metroidvania. I know it isn't for everyone but at 15 bucks it definitely is worth a shot

Oct 30, 2017
I've just now started a new game on both the PS4 Pro and Switch (4K monitor).

I switched back and forth between the two and the resolution difference is very noticable. The text stands out immediately, but everything is just much crisper and looks much better. Performance seems flawless so far.

Sep 14, 2018
I love they used the Lifeblood update art for this cover, cause it originally didn't receive much attention, but if that's the one for physical release where is this one going?

052705.jpg

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I love they used the Lifeblood update art for this cover, cause it originally didn't receive much attention, but if that's the one for physical release where is this one going?

The cover in the OP could still be tentative. Haven't seen any retailer listings go up so it doesn't seem like Skydive is sending those out to them just yet.

Those copies were announced before the Voidheart edition was detailed.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
This game is amazing, with atmosphere second to none (personally tied for me with 5 other classics). To those playing for the first time: be patient. The mysteries of Hallownest are worth it ^_^

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm so excited for even more people to have the chance to play this and for such a great price for all that meaningful content!

I did everything except for the Godmaster DLC. Just intimidated by the extreme difficulty. Everything up until then was perfectly fair and doable.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Gonna get it again once it releases physical. Is there a chance we get Hornet DLC relatively soon and the physical release at Spring contains it as well?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Will be playing this for the first time tomorrow.
I'm quite looking forward to it, especially with all the praise it got.

SniperWolf1

Nov 8, 2017
Really looking forward to playing this game after all the praise it's gotten. Which is why It's a bummer this game doesn't unlock at 9pm Pacific tonight like most preorders on PSN. My pre-download says it unlocks in 18 hours which puts it at 10am tomorrow. I've never had to wait that long for a preorder before, wonder why it's different for this.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm almost at the end of the game on PC (but I haven't done any of the DLC quests yet) and it might be my favorite game ever. I really can't find a fault with the game except I wish, when I finish it, I could erase my memory of the game and experience it fresh all over again. Exploring Hallownest has been one of the best experiences I've had gaming. It's amazing how a independent team from Australia made this as their first game, from what I've read. I still look at the completed in game map sometimes in amazement at how intricate and huge the world is.

I'll probably end up double dipping on the Switch version soon. It's great that more people will get to play this now. My suggestion to new players is that if and when you get stuck and you're not sure where to go next, keep checking different areas of the map and don't go to a guide right away. I used an online guide a couple of times through the game and I kind of regret not exploring more on my own. If you've really tried everything and can't move on though, go ahead and look it up.