• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeab I think I might just be too dumb for this game, I can't seem to find any way to even get to that chasm.

Maybe it's something that I'm just not seeing due to the art style. As pretty as it is, it's super busy and difficult to navigate. I really miss the more straightforward presentation of similar games.

Do you have the compass? That's gonna make your life a million times easier. Also you could try just hugging the wall whenever possible.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Yeab I think I might just be too dumb for this game, I can't seem to find any way to even get to that chasm.

Maybe it's something that I'm just not seeing due to the art style. As pretty as it is, it's super busy and difficult to navigate. I really miss the more straightforward presentation of similar games.

I think that is the special appeal of hollow knight. Few other games make you feel so lost in their world. If you don't like that, this is maybe not your game because you will encounter it a lot.
Keep pushing on, you almost got the important dash upgrade. That opens things up a bit.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Okay Im at greenpath right now and I need to get past
the part that has all the bugs above the spikes in a row. You're supposed to use your down slash on them to get past them in succession but it's an absolutely miserable experience and I've died more times than I care to count.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Okay Im at greenpath right now and I need to get past
the part that has all the bugs above the spikes in a row. You're supposed to use your down slash on them to get past them in succession but it's an absolutely miserable experience and I've died more times than I care to count.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure you need to go through there right now? If you've beaten Hornet, you should have other options too. Try heading south and east through the fungal area to reach Queens station and then on to the city.

If it's a long section on the left of Greenpath you can definitely come back later.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure you need to go through there right now? If you've beaten Hornet, you should have other options too. Try heading south through the fungal area to reach Queens station and then on to the city.

If it's a long section on the left of Greenpath you can definitely come back later.

Yes, I beat hornet a long time ago. I recently received the
crystal heart which allows for the horizontal dash
which is why I wanted to come back and try this challenge.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, I beat hornet a long time ago. I recently received the
crystal heart which allows for the horizontal dash
which is why I wanted to come back and try this challenge.
Ah, I see. If it's a long one heading west with multiple sections of bouncing across large bugs in a row, when you get to the end from Greenpath, unfortunately you'll find a dead end that can only be opened from the other side in
Queens Garden, at which point it becomes an area with a tree to collect essence for the dream nail instead
. Same goes for the lake of Unn, you'll need the
acid resistance upgrade from later on too.

I remember those long passages heading west from Greenpath and you can't really do much until much later. Have you used the crystal heart to head east in the crystal spikes cave in the mountain yet?
That was what got me to the resting grounds and dream nail, but there's several ways to access it!

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. If it's a long one heading west with multiple sections of bouncing across large bugs in a row, when you get to the end from Greenpath, unfortunately you'll find a dead end that can only be opened from the other side in
Queens Garden, at which point it becomes an area with a tree to collect essence for the dream nail instead
. Same goes for the lake of Unn, you'll need the
acid resistance upgrade from later on too.

I remember those long passages heading west from Greenpath and you can't really do much until much later. Have you used the crystal heart to head east in the crystal spikes cave in the mountain yet?
That was what got me to the resting grounds and dream nail, but there's several ways to access it!

Hmm so it looks like I already have the nail lol. I think that's the thing I just got last. No idea where to go next

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hmm so it looks like I already have the nail lol. I think that's the thing I just got last. No idea where to go next
You're looking to use it on the three dreamers marked on your map.

If you've got the Dream Nail and Crystal Heart, what you are going to need is the Monarch Wings (double jump) so you can reach the top of the city, that was the next major upgrade I found and it was really useful.

Head for Ancient Basin, beneath the Waterways, beneath the city. You can either use a basic key (assuming you've found or bought one) on the sewer entrance at ground level in the city, or ground-pound your way through a coffin below the station entrance in the Resting Grounds, or work your way east from the south-west if you can't do either of those. Essentially, keep heading down.

Last edited:

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Bought this yesterday after watching Girlfriend Review. I usually stay away from indies, but this looked mighty fine. I've played 5 hours so far and holy shit... I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Fully deserves the moniker, Dark Souls of Metroidvanias, lol. Must have taken me around 10 to 15 tries to beat Hornet and apparently that's one of the easier bosses. Lost around 600 geo not long after, too.

Any tips for a beginner? I've already purchased all the pins for the map I had available. What shop items should I prioritize?

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
I just got the dream nail. I have a question about it, please be as unspoilery in your reply as possible:

Skimming the HK threads here I have noticed that people talk about dream nailing NPCs. Should I have been told about this already in game? What the Seer told me was rather cryptic but I don't think she mentioned anything about using the dream nail on NPCs.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just got the dream nail. I have a question about it, please be as unspoilery in your reply as possible:

Skimming the HK threads here I have noticed that people talk about dream nailing NPCs. Should I have been told about this already in game? What the Seer told me was rather cryptic but I don't think she mentioned anything about using the dream nail on NPCs.

Spoiler free a reply.

You're never told that you can hit NPC's with it.

I found out by sheer accident myself then it became quite interesting going around doing that for a while whilst exploring.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Bought this yesterday after watching Girlfriend Review. I usually stay away from indies, but this looked mighty fine. I've played 5 hours so far and holy shit... I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Fully deserves the moniker, Dark Souls of Metroidvanias, lol. Must have taken me around 10 to 15 tries to beat Hornet and apparently that's one of the easier bosses. Lost around 600 geo not long after, too.

Any tips for a beginner? I've already purchased all the pins for the map I had available. What shop items should I prioritize?

I don't remember all the things the shops sell, but if memory serves, the best item is the very expensive lantern, and then keys if there are any in stock.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally did the Path of Pain today, took about 3 hours to do, waited for the achievement to pop at the end......waited.....waited......checked the game achievements.
THERE ISN'T ONE?? WTF!
Felt good doing it though, quite the challenge.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game with what apparently is the not final ending, lol. I guess the quest continues.

I also tried picking up Guacamelee again since I had started the game before Hollow Knight completely took over my full attention. Man, it is tough to go back to it now...it feels like a pale comparison in every way. The combat, the platforming, the exploring...I just keep thinking I'd rather be re-playing Hollow Knight instead. And I was actually throughly enjoying Guacamelee beforehand, too. Did Hollow Knight just ruin Metroidvanias for me?

...also does anyone know if Guac 2 is supremely better than Guac 1? Maybe I'll just jump straight to the sequel and give that a shot instead.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game with what apparently is the not final ending, lol. I guess the quest continues.

I also tried picking up Guacamelee again since I had started the game before Hollow Knight completely took over my full attention. Man, it is tough to go back to it now...it feels like a pale comparison in every way. The combat, the platforming, the exploring...I just keep thinking I'd rather be re-playing Hollow Knight instead. And I was actually throughly enjoying Guacamelee beforehand, too. Did Hollow Knight just ruin Metroidvanias for me?

...also does anyone know if Guac 2 is supremely better than Guac 1? Maybe I'll just jump straight to the sequel and give that a shot instead.

Guac 1 is still king in my book. I doubt G2 will grab you if the first hasn't.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Goddam this game is kicking my ass, but it's addictive ass fuck. I'm definitely super rusty with my 2D platforming (especially those segments where you have to walk climb/dash from spikes). I'm at a point where I can afford a fragile charm (heart). Is that genuinely worth it?

I'm at a point where I can afford a fragile charm (heart). Is that genuinely worth it?
It will give you two more hitpoints, so yes. But it will break upon death, so no good in boss fights (it won't break in dream boss fights you enter with your dream nail, nice using it on them.). Later on you'll get the chance to make it unbreakable though, and then I loved it.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
It will give you two more hitpoints, so yes. But it will break upon death, so no good in boss fights (it won't break in dream boss fights you enter with your dream nail, nice using it on them.). Later on you'll get the chance to make it unbreakable though, and then I loved it.

Awesome, thanks! My biggest obstacle right now is dying a lot from challenging traversal areas. I will just have to be extra careful and not push my luck.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Is there a good way to like.. get back on the boat with this game? I loved it and beat a few bosses, I think I can fight the 3 mantis dudes and then other than that I am not sure what I have access to.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Is there a good way to like.. get back on the boat with this game? I loved it and beat a few bosses, I think I can fight the 3 mantis dudes and then other than that I am not sure what I have access to.

If you've got the Mantis Claw, then honestly, you can go just about anywhere. The game is super open after you get that item. Here are a few routes you can try, if you want to get back on track:

• On the right side of the fungal wastes, you should be able to pass through to the City, which is a good place to head at this point in the game. There should be some signs posted around there pointing out the path.
  • If you can beat the Mantis Lords, you can access a really unpleasant area.
  • If you buy the Lumafly Lantern from the shop, you can get through a dark passageway near the top-right of the Forgotten Crossroads, though you may want to wait to explore this until you've beaten the boss in the City.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

So the Mantis fight is something you can hold off on if you want to upgrade your weapon first. If you picked up the Mantis Claw (the wall jump), you can head to the city. The entrance should be right above the Mantis VIllage.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
If you've got the Mantis Claw, then honestly, you can go just about anywhere. The game is super open after you get that item. Here are a few routes you can try, if you want to get back on track:

• On the right side of the fungal wastes, you should be able to pass through to the City, which is a good place to head at this point in the game. There should be some signs posted around there pointing out the path.
  • If you can beat the Mantis Lords, you can access a really unpleasant area.
  • If you buy the Lumafly Lantern from the shop, you can get through a dark passageway near the top-right of the Forgotten Crossroads, though you may want to wait to explore this until you've beaten the boss in the City.
I think the City must have been the place I left off. Thanks for the paths!

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely amazed at the amount of secrets in that game. 30 hours in, I still discover complete new subareas. The exploration is really special in that game.
But, I have to say that some riddles are too obtuse for me. I have no shame in looking certain things up like the hidden dlc entrances. This is quite like dark souls where you probably wouldn't find the dlc on a normal playthrough.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Man, fuck the Soul Master. Thought I had beaten him only to get destroyed in the second stage I didn't even expect. This game...

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Ok slowly I am starting to wrap everything up. Finally beat that grey mourner quest and got the last mask shard, collected all charms and bought the blessing. Now onto the trial of fools which is tough as nails, the last boss which is tough as nails and the dlc content which is probably also tough as nails.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
GOG Galaxy is telling me I already have 21 hours of playtime. Time flies with this game. Since my last post I've beaten the Soul Master, Mantis Lords and Dung Defender. Tried my best against Flukeworm, but I get overwhelmed too easily at this moment, I will come back later. So far Mantis Lords have been my favourite boss fight - cool premise, music and the encounter is just visually fantastic. I love that all the mantes bow to me know.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Been spending a lot of my post-Christmas winter break on this game. Tackled every pre-Godmaster challenge in the game and done some damage in Godhome but not sure I have the discipline to get 100% radiants.

I've found this game's difficulty to be a bit overhyped outside of some outright dumb stuff like "White Palace without Hiveblood" but the added content really delivered with NKG, Path of Pain, and now this realm of sadomasochism.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question (Ancient Basin spoilers)

Last night I was poking around Ancient Basin for the first time and I came across what google tells me is the Broken Vessel. I'm not looking most stuff in the game up, but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong—I tried bouncing around, hitting him with sword and dream nail, but he never came to life. I don't want to search too much about him because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but from what I read it sounds like he's supposed to animate as I get close to him—is something wrong for me, or am I good?

I'm enjoying the game a lot. The first two hours were very boring—took me a year and a half to get through—but it picks up enormously after Hornet. My only real complaint is that I wish that there were a more verbose way to leave markers (unless I'm missing something?). I think Dark Souls benefits a lot from having pretty wildly different-feeling environments that work as mnemonics for different locked doors/gated passages, so when you see Sen's opening up, or the Lordvessel orange barriers going down, it's pretty easy to go, "Oh, I last saw that when I was here, doing this thing." In this game, I've only been playing 8 hours and I've already run into a whole bunch of big grey slabs of door that tell me I need a pass or a seal or a crest or a key, so when I pick up "Pristine Key" or "Huge Seal" or whatever, I just have absolutely no context for which particular grey door I was standing at when I was told I needed that item.

I have a question (Ancient Basin spoilers)

Last night I was poking around Ancient Basin for the first time and I came across what google tells me is the Broken Vessel. I'm not looking most stuff in the game up, but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong—I tried bouncing around, hitting him with sword and dream nail, but he never came to life. I don't want to search too much about him because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but from what I read it sounds like he's supposed to animate as I get close to him—is something wrong for me, or am I good?

I'm enjoying the game a lot. The first two hours were very boring—took me a year and a half to get through—but it picks up enormously after Hornet. My only real complaint is that I wish that there were a more verbose way to leave markers (unless I'm missing something?). I think Dark Souls benefits a lot from having pretty wildly different-feeling environments that work as mnemonics for different locked doors/gated passages, so when you see Sen's opening up, or the Lordvessel orange barriers going down, it's pretty easy to go, "Oh, I last saw that when I was here, doing this thing." In this game, I've only been playing 8 hours and I've already run into a whole bunch of big grey slabs of door that tell me I need a pass or a seal or a crest or a key, so when I pick up "Pristine Key" or "Huge Seal" or whatever, I just have absolutely no context for which particular grey door I was standing at when I was told I needed that item.
That sounds pretty odd to me. And Google doesn't seem to know that problem. You should just try to visit there again, hopefully it repairs itself, maybe something just din't load correctly..?
I don't think you went there too early or something, but what bosses/stuff have you done so far?

The map shop offers some new markers you can set yourself over time, so you will have some more colors to use.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds pretty odd to me. And Google doesn't seem to know that problem. You should just try to visit there again, hopefully it repairs itself, maybe something just din't load correctly..?
I don't think you went there too early or something, but what bosses/stuff have you done so far?

The map shop offers some new markers you can set yourself over time, so you will have some more colors to use.

I've done Soul Master and Mantis Lords, got Dream Nail, did Crystal Peak, poked around the King's Station area a bit. Hope there isn't something permanently wonky with my gamestate

and yeah, I know about the marker colors, but that doesn't really help with the problem I'm describing imo. That's good for, like, "locked something here," "need a lantern for here," but knowing that there's a locked door on the map doesn't help me remember what the specific text was for that very genetic-looking door

I've done Soul Master and Mantis Lords, got Dream Nail, did Crystal Peak, poked around the King's Station area a bit. Hope there isn't something permanently wonky with my gamestate

and yeah, I know about the marker colors, but that doesn't really help with the problem I'm describing imo. That's good for, like, "locked something here," "need a lantern for here," but knowing that there's a locked door on the map doesn't help me remember what the specific text was for that very genetic-looking door
That's more than enough. I'm sorry, but that really doesn't sound too good. .__.

It's not that specific, you're right. I had a system for what to use what color, so that I had an idea what I marked there, but sure you can't go into detail. I misread that a bit.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
i'll check it again tonight. i don't think i've done any weird skips or anything in my game, hit or missed any flags that should break this, so i'm just gonna hope that some trigger didn't register. fingers crossed

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Took a break from the last boss because I couldn't beat him. Came back today and finally beat that moth first try. Finally! Currently sitting at 108 %. I can do it!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
lol uhh i guess I just hadn't gone far enough into the room. yoops. surprised that standing right on top of him wasnt far enough

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm still at the start of the game, defeated Gruz but man whoever thought it would be satisfying to have all the early game purchases/grinding just go to map markers doesn't really understand what makes a game enjoyable.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm still at the start of the game, defeated Gruz but man whoever thought it would be satisfying to have all the early game purchases/grinding just go to map markers doesn't really understand what makes a game enjoyable.

You don't really need the map markers that early on. They're helpful but by no means compulsory. If you really need to grind for anything, then just stick with the map, quill and compass charm.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's not really that I need them, it's more I dont understand why they even need to be purchased anyway.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not really that I need them, it's more I dont understand why they even need to be purchased anyway.

Being a metroidvania, you'll come across obstacles for which you lack the relevant ability. Map pins weren't a base game feature, but patched in to help people keep track of specific obstacles (which one could colour code for different types) and streamline backtracking e.g. "I've got the ability which allows me to get past this obstacle. I've marked previous instances of this obstacle in red, so I'll go back to the red markers and see what I missed".

Like I said, they're not compulsory (I finished the game before they were patched in) but they are a nice quality-of-life option.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I did
Kingdom's Edge today. I'm still having a great time. This game owns so much.

People talk a lot about how simple the combat is, but I have to say, I really like how it feels and I rarely feel out-and-out bored. I wish that the charge time was a little lower on nail arts, they basically never feel like the right choice, but maybe I'm just not using them correctly.

I'm a little disappointed that the bosses haven't been more challenging or more technical, because I feel like I'm getting on pretty far in the game and things haven't ramped up as much as I was expecting. Watcher Knights took a few tries, I think just because their patterns were such a shitshow, but everything else has been pretty breezy. I also messed up my first attempt at the second arena, and that (and the next one) seem like they'll be real fun to get past.

I'm not saying that because I'm some big nut about difficulty in games, I just love this game's movement and how precise its combat is, and I feel like I haven't really been pushed to use that much so far. So many of the bosses' patterns have come down to "be in the air" or "be on the ground", you don't really need to do anything that specific to skate through a fight. A lot of them have a really great feel and flow to them—Hornet v. 2 was a perfect example—I just wish it was more demanding, and that it pushed me to get more fluent in using the tools I have instead of just blasting damage onto whatever is in front of me.

That said, I know I have a good amount of game and DLC ahead of me, so I'm sure it'll ramp up. And I'm considering trying for a permadeath run after, which is something I've never done in a game before. i luv the game

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing so maybe, it's me being dumb but how do you fill in the map in the area where you meet Sly, in the first area? I've rested at a bench and all. The map just doesn't fill in. What am I missing?

Edit. I just checked 3 Let's Plays and all 3 also got the same missing spot. But the Switch version appears to have that spot filled in. Known bug?

Last edited:

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
I just started playing so maybe, it's me being dumb but how do you fill in the map in the area where you meet Sly, in the first area? I've rested at a bench and all. The map just doesn't fill in. What am I missing?

Edit. I just checked 3 Let's Plays and all 3 also got the same missing spot. But the Switch version appears to have that spot filled in. Known bug?
Did you buy the Quill?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did. And after some research, it's definitely a bug and it seems everyone gets it at least on PS4. It's fairly annoying to look at!

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I did. And after some research, it's definitely a bug and it seems everyone gets it at least on PS4. It's fairly annoying to look at!

I always wondered about that spot, thanks for clearing that up.

Currently sitting at 110 %, only 2 more pantheons to go. I don't think I will go for that last infamous one. Seems a little bit too much for me.