• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
boy, I am not looking forward to trying to figure out which 3 grubs I missed later on

benj

Oct 27, 2017
oh thank god. honestly even if i have to look up how to find that thing, I'll gladly take that over trying to search my rapidly-deteriorating memory to figure out which identical patch of wall I did or didn't break through

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Hey—I'm in the endgame, mopping stuff up. I am 99% sure I have not fought Crystal Guardian round 2, but when I go to his arena he doesn't show up. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've seen other people mention it here and there online, but no mentions of a solution.

If this is the thing that keeps me from getting all mask shards, hoo boy.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I just watched this earlier and it's incredible, and now I'm inspired to give the game another run through and try a few of those tricks. Dude stays so cool and collected.

Watching him make a mockery of bosses that gave me so much grief is giving me mixed feelings, though.

That Lost Kin fight is just sickening. He doesn't even have nail or health upgrades. He doesn't even heal. How dare this man be so good at video games when I'm stuck here playing Hollow Knight with these bastard potato hands.

That run is truely amazing, watched it last weekend. He even shows some hidden shortcuts/passanges I didn't know of. ^^

Hey—I'm in the endgame, mopping stuff up. I am 99% sure I have not fought Crystal Guardian round 2, but when I go to his arena he doesn't show up. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've seen other people mention it here and there online, but no mentions of a solution.

If this is the thing that keeps me from getting all mask shards, hoo boy.
Are you sure, you are in the right room? He's not where you fought him before, but a bit farther to the right, where you can only get up with the monarch wings. (I spent half an hour on that fucker with his goddamn double damage. -.-')
PS: On what system are you? Switch? It seems there were bugs with the gates not opening which should've been fixed by a patch. But I can't find something with him completely missing.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm very sure I'm in the right room, but he never turned up. I was able to get the mask shard anyway, so no great loss. Weird, though.

I'm on PC by the way.

Then I'm even more baffled; most bugs I heard of were on consoles. It's out for PC so long, it seemed pretty fixed.
First that shy Broken Vessel, now Enraged Guardian doesn't dare to show up. Are you such a first try bug slayer beast you intimidated your savegame? ;D

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Oof - I'm going to unload some frustration here. Watcher Knights are killing all enjoyment I got from the game. I've been at them for what must be a grand total of four hours and I don't stand a chance. I've watched videos, upgraded my nail, but all to no avail - I keep losing and it's not even close.

Up until now I only had a little trouble with Soul Master and I don't consider myself to be particularly bad at this game or gaming in general but fuck me - I cannot get this done and I'm now fed up to the point I regret buying the game.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
the more videos i watch, the more I realise I bailed at the right time
this game is too hard for me, I am defeated

Oof - I'm going to unload some frustration here. Watcher Knights are killing all enjoyment I got from the game. I've been at them for what must be a grand total of four hours and I don't stand a chance. I've watched videos, upgraded my nail, but all to no avail - I keep losing and it's not even close.

Up until now I only had a little trouble with Soul Master and I don't consider myself to be particularly bad at this game or gaming in general but fuck me - I cannot get this done and I'm now fed up to the point I regret buying the game.
Do you still have the other Dreamers left to defeat? Then move along, you don't have to do the Watchers now, you can safe them to the last moment with more upgrades n stuff.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017

The fight is alleviated with the use of Shade Cloak, so if you don't have that yet I'd come back later. Outside of that and things like dropping the chandelier to stop one of them from spawning, it's a demanding fight. One strategy is to just upgrade yourself to the point that you can sit in a corner and face-tank them, killing them faster than they can kill you. Never tested that little strat for myself, though. Quick Focus, Mark of Pride, and Stalwart Shell are all good charms for doing the fight the normal way.

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I think I've defeated one out of three? There's still mask symbol somewhere near Fungal Wastes. I've just ragequitted the game but I might try looking into that later.

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The fight is alleviated with the use of Shade Cloak, so if you don't have that yet I'd come back later. Outside of that and things like dropping the chandelier to stop one of them from spawning, it's a demanding fight. One strategy is to just upgrade yourself to the point that you can sit in a corner and face-tank them, killing them faster than they can kill you. Never tested that little strat for myself, though. Quick Focus, Mark of Pride, and Stalwart Shell are all good charms for doing the fight the normal way.

Thanks for the advise. I've got MoP and QF equipped but I still don't seem to have time to get any healing done. I don't think I've got shadow cloak yet so I might have to look into that - if I ever gather the courage to boot up the game again.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it the other night, and I can't believe how much I loved it, I bought it day one on switch but I was playing something else so I messed around like an hour or so with it. But now that I came back, I've been playing non-stop for the last couple of weekends, I can't even remember when was the last time I played for 6 hours straight, it even made me put on hold RDR2.

Anyway, I "finished" it as in I beat the last boss and got to the credits, but I read somewhere that there is a True ending.

So any tips or guidance as to what to do next?

Here's where I'm at:
I unlocked the Abyss right before doing the final boss, but decided to leave it for later. Now that I've explored it and got the Shadow Cloak, that opened up a bunch of new areas, already beat the Traitor Lord and have half of a White Fragment (no idea where to find the other piece). Already awoke the Dream Nail, and also upgraded my weapon to the max. I thought I already discovered the whole map, but yesterday i ended up in a new area (Junk pit). There's a locked door half way down the Abyss I haven't gotten in, and I think there's another one in Fungal Wastes. Other than that I don't know what else I'm missing.

And here are a few shots, one for my charms and items(to get an idea of the places I've been), and a quick map I pieced together:
KN8hXwn.jpg

f2ubjya.jpg

X2kZJ8D.jpg
I could google the method for the endings but I don't want to get spoiled too much.

Also, wtf do I do with the rancind eggs?, and how do I access the DLCs?

The endings:
You need the second half of the white charm. Go to the Palace Grounds and use your dream nail on that white knight armor. You'll get access to the White Palace (Hiveblood charm gets very useful here). There you'll get the other half, and from then on out, it should be clear, what to do. After that process, you can go back to the Hollow Knight and fight him again; there will be a little something new, and you'll have access to the second ending and that said true ending. (There is also one more ending linked to Godhome, best to Google it later.)
The DLCs:
Most of it is mixed into the main game. A separate one is Godhome (mostly a boss rush) and Path of Pain (hardcore platforming. And when I say hardcore, I mean hardcore). Godhome's entrance is actually in the junk pit that you discovered (wtf, how did you do this? ^^), but you'll need a simple key to open it. It's hard to find, so that you won't stumble upon it by accident too early. Just use Google to find it, it won't spoil you the real game. Same goes for Path of Pain; it's hidden in the White Palace, but without knowing where to look, you most likely won't find it.
There is also The Grimms Troupe, which is pretty easy to find. Examine the Howling Cliffs. Maybe you already summond them and their red tents to Dirtmouth?
The Abyss door:
That's an odd one. You have to equip the charms that give you blue health; you need 15 hitpoints in blue, that all the lights at the door light up and it opens. But I don't know what you mean by the door in Fungal Wastes. Maybe you think of the door you used to get into the City of Tears? It closes behind you and can't be opened again.
Rancid eggs are pretty easy. Did you ever open the gate at the far right of Dirtmouth with a simple key? You pay Jiji with eggs for her service.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
The endings:
You need the second half of the white charm. Go to the Palace Grounds and use your dream nail on that white knight armor. You'll get access to the White Palace (Hiveblood charm gets very useful here). There you'll get the other half, and from then on out, it should be clear, what to do. After that process, you can go back to the Hollow Knight and fight him again; there will be a little something new, and you'll have access to the second ending and that said true ending. (There is also one more ending linked to Godhome, best to Google it later.)
Thanks, I actually used the dream nail on that white knight a lot of times but nothing happened, but now that I think about it I haven't tried again since I got the white fragment.

The DLCs:
Most of it is mixed into the main game. A separate one is Godhome (mostly a boss rush) and Path of Pain (hardcore platforming. And when I say hardcore, I mean hardcore). Godhome's entrance is actually in the junk pit that you discovered (wtf, how did you do this? ^^), but you'll need a simple key to open it. It's hard to find, so that you won't stumble upon it by accident too early. Just use Google to find it, it won't spoil you the real game. Same goes for Path of Pain; it's hidden in the White Palace, but without knowing where to look, you most likely won't find it.
There is also The Grimms Troupe, which is pretty easy to find. Examine the Howling Cliffs. Maybe you already summond them and their red tents to Dirtmouth?

Yeah I'm reading about the DLC and half of them are tweaks and changes to the main game. I stumble upon the junk pit while I was sweeping the map, I just started to follow the "junk" in the background and eventually got there (so the key is for the coffin, right?). As for the Grimms Troupe, I haven't found it, I came back to howling cliffs after unlocking the last stag station but only found a ghost and a charm.

The Abyss door:
That's an odd one. You have to equip the charms that give you blue health; you need 15 hitpoints in blue, that all the lights at the door light up and it opens. But I don't know what you mean by the door in Fungal Wastes. Maybe you think of the door you used to get into the City of Tears? It closes behind you and can't be opened again.
Perhaps it wasn't in Fungal Wastes, but I'm sure I've seen a locked door somewhere around that area, maybe it's for a shortcut and needs to be opened from inside. I'll try to snap a pic if I found it again.

Rancid eggs are pretty easy. Did you ever open the gate at the far right of Dirtmouth with a simple key? You pay Jiji with eggs for her service.

Oh and yes, I opened the gate for Jiji, but I never used her services, now I feel bad for wasting a key on it, thought the eggs were used for something else.

Anyway, thanks again, can't wait to play again tonight.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to say it right now, paying for benches is straight bullshit.

Nothing more infuriating then finally passing a frustrating platforming section after dying several times and losing all your geo only to follow signs to a bench and having it cost geo to unlock, then you die again trying to get the geo to pay for the bench and have to do the original platforming sequence you already died 20 times on.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think the voice for the map shop keeper is WAY too loud? Even sounds like the recording clipped a bit. I have to turn down the tv every time I go in there.

Edit: On Switch version.

Last edited:

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
man fuck the WP, bad idea to tackle it before bed, it was like 2am and it seemed like there was no end to it. and then I finally got to the end and didn't know what to do, thought I might have done something wrong or was missing some item and that I had to come back and do all that shit again. luckily I figured it out eventually and got out with what I went for.
No I have zero interest in trying the PoP

btw thanks for the Hiveblood charm tip, Oinone. really helped out

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent a couple hours over the past few days just running Pure Vessel after first bumping into him in the Pantheon—first normal, then Ascended, then fake-one-shot by overcharming Ascended. Unbelievably good fight. Easily the only one that's held me up as long as it has. Incredibly clean, incredibly fun. He and NKG are gonna be the big takeaways from this game's bosses I think.

otoh, the White Defender/Failed Champion/Markoth/Watcher Knights sequence in the 4th pantheon is pretty annoying. to my surprise I've gotten totally clean at Watcher Knights—White Defender and Failed Champion are the ones that put me on edge. I don't think those 4 are especially hard bosses, they just feel super messy and inconsistent (Watcher Knights less so), and it really knocks me off course.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent a couple hours over the past few days just running Pure Vessel after first bumping into him in the Pantheon—first normal, then Ascended, then fake-one-shot by overcharming Ascended. Unbelievably good fight. Easily the only one that's held me up as long as it has. Incredibly clean, incredibly fun. He and NKG are gonna be the big takeaways from this game's bosses I think.

otoh, the White Defender/Failed Champion/Markoth/Watcher Knights sequence in the 4th pantheon is pretty annoying. to my surprise I've gotten totally clean at Watcher Knights—White Defender and Failed Champion are the ones that put me on edge. I don't think those 4 are especially hard bosses, they just feel super messy and inconsistent (Watcher Knights less so), and it really knocks me off course.

Care to share your strategy and charm set up for pure vessel? That boss is my road block right now. I can consistently beat him to 50 % when he starts the exploding circles and sometimes under 25 % when he starts to shoot dark tentacles but there is no victory in sight.
I use quick focus, sharp shadow (since I mostly dash through his attacks), unbreakable strength, long nail and grub song.
As said, I dash mostly through his attacks. My main problem is are the blades from the ground. They hit me so often because I dash at every attack and I often land at a spot where a blade comes out.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Care to share your strategy and charm set up for pure vessel? That boss is my road block right now. I can consistently beat him to 50 % when he starts the exploding circles and sometimes under 25 % when he starts to shoot dark tentacles but there is no victory in sight.
I use quick focus, sharp shadow (since I mostly dash through his attacks), unbreakable strength, long nail and grub song.
As said, I dash mostly through his attacks. My main problem is are the blades from the ground. They hit me so often because I dash at every attack and I often land at a spot where a blade comes out.
My normal charm setup is Mark of Pride, Grubsong, Quick Slash, and Unbreakable Strength I think? I don't run Quick Focus because I don't heal except between bosses in the pantheon.

So, the big things for Pure Vessel, in my experience, is that even though you can dash through a lot of his attacks, that's a trap. The spacing between some of his movies (especially the combo slash and the parry) is just long enough that you're probably going to get baited into trying to dash through them before shade dash is back up. That, at least, is where a lot of my damage came from before I was consistently beating the fight—I was staying in his face and hitting as many times as I could, figuring I could rely on shade dash to get through if he parried or combo slashed, then taking damage.

The answer (for me, at least) was to not rely on shade dash, to come up with a dodge for every single one of his moves that puts me in the air. For his combo attack I jump up, parry his two slashes, then fall behind him and hit him—for his parry I bop on his head. This is also enormously useful for the blades on the ground—they're much narrower at the top, giving you way more space to maneuver, and I found that already being in the air made it much easier for me to adjust my position. That used to be a big problem for me too, but I don't get hit by it at all anymore.

The secret to getting into the air in time is, as always, not to be greedy. I was trying to hit 3 times on a lot of his attacks, so when his next move would come out, I wouldn't have time to get into the air—I'd have to shade dash, which didn't work. If I hit once or twice, back off, and get into the air prematurely, I'm in a position to handle his next move no matter what it is. Shade Dash is saved for getting through any attack that you were out of position for, avoiding the thrown daggers, or trying to iframe the tentacle if you can't get high enough in time

Here's a video I took a couple days ago, including a panic dodge into the tentacle attack:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
He and NKG are gonna be the big takeaways from this game's bosses I think.

Yeh, those two are among my favorite boss fights in the game. Well designed and so fun once you get into the rhythm.

There's another fight in the last Pantheon that might top even those 2, though. Well, in some aspects at least.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Man—hopped on last night early enough that I wasn't already falling asleep for the first time in a few days. Got the 4th pantheon first try, decided to take one swing at Pantheon of Hallownest, made it to NKG. I really thought that beating NKG in the game itself had set me up to be all good on him forever, but fighting TMG a bunch for Pantheon stuff had put my timing WAY off.

Practicing him for a bit, then gonna switch to Absolute Radiance I guess? Not looking forward to it. Normal Radiance was maybe the only very hard boss in the game that I didn't really enjoy that much. I like the hard duels, Radiance felt more like Markoth, Failed Knight, and Lost Kin, all of whom are easily my weakest fights—they're so wild and inconsistent.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I've never had an issue with any other game but Hollow Knight. I love this game. But I keep dropping it. I've only made it to Mantis Lords. And then I quit and play something else.

I haven't played it since October. Should I just start fresh and really dig in or pick up where I left off? I'm leaning towards a clean restart. What say you?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had an issue with any other game but Hollow Knight. I love this game. But I keep dropping it. I've only made it to Mantis Lords. And then I quit and play something else.

I haven't played it since October. Should I just start fresh and really dig in or pick up where I left off? I'm leaning towards a clean restart. What say you?

I had actually stopped in October on Mantis Lords as well. They were routinely kicking my ass and I wasn't having fun anymore.

I picked it up again yesterday and beat them first try. Made some progress afterwards too.

DEFINITELY not my favorite MV, but it's a fun game that's very well made. The sound design might be the best I've ever heard in a video game.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
God, I am at the point where Absolute Radiance is the only thing standing between me and PoH, and I'm not thrilled. This is exactly the kind of boss I don't like. I could run PV and NKG forever, I love those guys. This is just a shitshow.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you guys want to shave a good 5 years off your life due to stress I highly recommend a 112% Steel Soul run.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
God, I am at the point where Absolute Radiance is the only thing standing between me and PoH, and I'm not thrilled. This is exactly the kind of boss I don't like. I could run PV and NKG forever, I love those guys. This is just a shitshow.

I admire your endurance. I already gave up on pure vessel. The game already gave me enough joy with the main game and the other dlcs so I called it a day. I don't want to water down the experience by doing the boss rushes over and over again and get sick of it. I really hope the hornet dlc focuses more on exploration.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I got AR down today, then got her another 5 or 6 times. So I guess I have her pretty down, although there wasn't really a eureka moment. Now that I am beating her regularly I feel a little more confident in saying that she's really a step down from Pure Vessel in fun/design. imo!

Then i tried PoH and lost all my health on Markoth for the first time in a while. I simply hate to fight the Markoth

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for speedrun/steel soul routes that include Monarch Wings and Shade Cloak? The guide everyone recommends for speedrunning looks great, but it was written when the achievement was still 3 hours, so it's a little tighter on time than I have to be—and I'm so accustomed to having every ability that I'd love to squeeze Monarch and Shade in there, especially for stuff like Watcher Knights and Deepnest.

If not I'm sure I can find a place to put them. I just don't remember what areas are gated by what abilities at all, and it'd really be typical of me to blow the 5-hour achievement by confusing myself about sequencing.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I got AR down today, then got her another 5 or 6 times. So I guess I have her pretty down, although there wasn't really a eureka moment. Now that I am beating her regularly I feel a little more confident in saying that she's really a step down from Pure Vessel in fun/design. imo!

Yeh, it's a bad fight. Lots of quasi-random shit and poor visibility.

The only boss I didn't beat on radiance difficulty.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
The visibility problems are unbelievable. I got around it a bit by tweaking brightness and particle effects, but it's still nutso. I'm honestly hesitant to say anything bad about this game because of how across-the-board incredible my experience of it has been, but this one boss feels like it falls into so many of the exact pitfalls that were otherwise absent from the game, and the absence of which were consistently very impressive to me.

Like, I don't really get hit by the homing bullets much anymore (mostly because I've learned that they unconditionally deserve my full attention), but them literally spawning on top of me is a bewildering choice. Standardize their spawn locations! The fight would still be plenty hard! Some of the ways that attacks can overlap in the first phase are just nutso.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The 2nd phase is so dumb when you can at times only guess which attacks are going to be used because the AR might be only partially or not at all on your screen. Then you wanna move to the right but, wait, just as you made a jump you noticed there are those horizontal swords flying towards you now. Same can happen with the large sunbeam. It just overall feels so awkward to fight. If you luck out on the movement and the AR moves/spawns right above your current platform and using an easy to avoid attack you can just pummel her within 10 seconds or so. That doesn't exactly feel good, either.

And dunno, but I also hate the 3rd phase. If I could make it through that 100% consistently then I might have a chance.

4th and final stage sucks, too, but at least you can abuse the fact that the balls disappear when you jump so that you lead them out of the top screen space.

But yeh, as a whole that fight just doesn't feel fun. Meanwhile, I could fight NKG, Pure Vessel and Sisters of Battle (all 3) for all eternity because it feels fair and like dancing once you've got the right rhythm.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
lol, I seem to be very consistent on PV/NKG/AR now, but somehow I've started choking on Markoth. two runs in a row now I've lost all but 2 health on him, gotten a little rattled, then gotten cleaned up by failed knight. this neeeever happened before

really wish I'd remapped Attack to a shoulder button before I ran 50 hours of this game. I would really love to be able to easily charge Nail Arts without making jumping a hell.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! How much time did you spend for the last pantheon? I mean with all the training bosses in the hall of gods and all failed attempts.
I dunno, I was kinda trying to figure that out. It's tricky because I went to do some exploration stuff partway through, I left it paused a couple times to make food and walk the dog and stuff, and also did way more NKG/PV runs than I needed to just because they were more fun than learning Markoth or AR.

I beat the Pantheon of the Knight on Jan 24, Steam says I've played 28 hours of HK in the past two weeks. So maybe...18 hours? 16 hours? Something in there. I grinded PoH trying to get AR, grinded NKG for a while after I realized I'd gotten rusty on it, went back to grinding PoH to unlock AR, grinded AR yesterday to crack the fight open, then did three PoH runs and the last one took, got the 112% completion with ~61 hours on the game clock I think.

haven't really ever been the kind of person to throw myself against a game's challenge stuff like this. this game is really something special

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Is there an "aha!" point in this game's progression. I've started the Voidheart edition a few days ago but my initial impression was kinda "eh". I've just unlocked the shop and explored a bit in every direction but I'm not intrigued to play more.
As a disclaimber I like these metroidvania kind of games, having played SOTN pretty recently (2017) and loved it. Same goes for Axiom Verge and Muramasa. I dunno what it is, maybe the aesthetic or maybe the DS like mechanics (I finished DS1,3 and BB) but I'm not feeling this atm even tho I want to feel it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I had a huge aha moment—almost every friend I've talked to has, too. theyve all been around the same point, which is an hour or two past where you are now