• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
for what it's worth, I was totally turned-off at that point in the game, too. it took me a year and a half to get to that aha moment. now that it HAS clicked I like that it starts a little slow, but I definitely think it keeps its cards close to its chest, and I'd imagine a lotta people drop out before getting to the point where the game starts being gracious

Jan 10, 2018
Just finished this game for the Switch for the first time and it was a wonderful experience. One of the best games I've played in this genre and an incredible achievement for indie games.

I do have a lot of questions though surrounding the mystery of the world and its lore. Some things I gathered from playing and others from looking up videos online. However, there are still some things that I don't fully understand and I'm hoping that someone here can clear them up for me:
1. I got the ending where the Vessel consumes the essence of the Hollow Knight and takes its place. But why does this occur exactly? Is the Hollow Knight too weak to hold the infection and so it needs to be replaced by a stronger Vessel?

2. Why are there so many eggs/cocoons scattered around the world? Is this to show that the inhabitants of Hallownest has passed on or maybe transformed into something greater (a moth of butterfly)?

3. What's the significance of the masks and why do so many wear them? Both void creatures and regular bugs seem to wear them.

4. What's the meaning of the dream world and how exactly do the three servants use it to hold the Hollow Knight in place?

5. What exactly is the infection? Some kind of revenge from the original ruler of Hallownest? I barely understood the concept of radiance and the Moth Queen.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this game for the Switch for the first time and it was a wonderful experience. One of the best games I've played in this genre and an incredible achievement for indie games.

I do have a lot of questions though surrounding the mystery of the world and its lore. Some things I gathered from playing and others from looking up videos online. However, there are still some things that I don't fully understand and I'm hoping that someone here can clear them up for me:
1. I got the ending where the Vessel consumes the essence of the Hollow Knight and takes its place. But why does this occur exactly? Is the Hollow Knight too weak to hold the infection and so it needs to be replaced by a stronger Vessel?

2. Why are there so many eggs/cocoons scattered around the world? Is this to show that the inhabitants of Hallownest has passed on or maybe transformed into something greater (a moth of butterfly)?

3. What's the significance of the masks and why do so many wear them? Both void creatures and regular bugs seem to wear them.

4. What's the meaning of the dream world and how exactly do the three servants use it to hold the Hollow Knight in place?

5. What exactly is the infection? Some kind of revenge from the original ruler of Hallownest? I barely understood the concept of radiance and the Moth Queen.

mossbag has some pretty entertaining lore videos.

That being said, maybe you should go for the true ending first and experience some really nice moments and gain a better understanding of the lore and story.

On that note, have you visited the Abyss area yet? There's a certain upgrade that'll allow you to explore further areas needed to progress towards the true ending.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017

1. The original Hollow Knight was too weak to contain the infection. The true ending route goes into the reasons why. As for the ending you got, well, it's kind of ambiguous if even the new Hollow Knight is strong enough to seal the infection either, which kind of makes that ending the Richter Ending.

3. Masks are worn by creatures that don't have faces. It's somewhat ambiguous who wears masks in the game, because they're virtually indistinguishable from regular ol' bug faces, but I doubt many wear them. Quirrel wears one as a hat. The Mask Maker wears a whole selection of them. I think the Hollow Knights kind of wear masks but not really? They're a somewhat special case.

4. The dream world is probably maybe created by Higher Beings, possibly the Radiance in particular, but it's ambiguous. In any case, the Temple of the Black Egg is meant to seal in the Radiance itself, so I guess they have to use the weird dream world for that because that's where it lives???

5. Originally bugs were all mindless and feral, and all/many/some of them worshipped/were enslaved by the Radiance, who is a Higher Being. Then the Pale King, another Higher Being, came and some power of his made bugs in his territory intelligent. This is how the kingdom of Hallownest was created. Then the Radiance was sealed away in the Black Egg Temple. The infection is spread by the Radiance in an attempt to revert bugs back to their original mindless state. It's unclear how this works, but anyone infected will become trapped in their own dreams somehow and lose the ability to distinguish between dreams and reality, probably.[/QUOTE]

Jan 10, 2018
1. The original Hollow Knight was too weak to contain the infection. The true ending route goes into the reasons why. As for the ending you got, well, it's kind of ambiguous if even the new Hollow Knight is strong enough to seal the infection either, which kind of makes that ending the Richter Ending.

3. Masks are worn by creatures that don't have faces. It's somewhat ambiguous who wears masks in the game, because they're virtually indistinguishable from regular ol' bug faces, but I doubt many wear them. Quirrel wears one as a hat. The Mask Maker wears a whole selection of them. I think the Hollow Knights kind of wear masks but not really? They're a somewhat special case.

4. The dream world is probably maybe created by Higher Beings, possibly the Radiance in particular, but it's ambiguous. In any case, the Temple of the Black Egg is meant to seal in the Radiance itself, so I guess they have to use the weird dream world for that because that's where it lives???

5. Originally bugs were all mindless and feral, and all/many/some of them worshipped/were enslaved by the Radiance, who is a Higher Being. Then the Pale King, another Higher Being, came and some power of his made bugs in his territory intelligent. This is how the kingdom of Hallownest was created. Then the Radiance was sealed away in the Black Egg Temple. The infection is spread by the Radiance in an attempt to revert bugs back to their original mindless state. It's unclear how this works, but anyone infected will become trapped in their own dreams somehow and lose the ability to distinguish between dreams and reality, probably.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the answer! Love the lore in this game and the way it is told. Make me think of Soulsborne a lot. :)

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like playing Hollow Knight again and started a re-play just for fun a few days ago. Man, this game feels so good. I'm already deep into my second playthrough. Truly an amazing game. Also a whole lot easier the second time around lol.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I've absoltely loved the 60 or so hours I poured into HK, but I think the White Palace is where we part ways. What that level entails is just not what I enjoy about the game and my platform skills are lacking.

I'm massively looking forward to what these guys'll cook up next. And proud to be a kickstarter supporter for this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I get maps for each area? Is it a dude who I find in the level each time? Haven't played this since shortly after PS4 release and I'm completely lost in Greenpath, I think it's called.

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I get maps for each area? Is it a dude who I find in the level each time? Haven't played this since shortly after PS4 release and I'm completely lost in Greenpath, I think it's called.

Okay, I beat the lady knight boss and got the moth dash, or whatever it's called. I still don't have a map for the area and I'm damn lost, but at least I know there's a couple of new areas I can access now. Although I just died really far away from the bench and I doubt I'll be able to recover the spirit, so that's about 800 coins gone to waste.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I get maps for each area? Is it a dude who I find in the level each time?
Yup. He leaves bits of paper all over the place, use those to lead you to him. When you get close you can hear him humming. Sometimes you get to where he was after he's moved on, in which case the map segment is back at the shop.

I wish the boss combat was a little easier. So much to love about this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. He leaves bits of paper all over the place, use those to lead you to him. When you get close you can hear him humming. Sometimes you get to where he was after he's moved on, in which case the map segment is back at the shop.

I wish the boss combat was a little easier. So much to love about this game.

Thanks, i noticed the bits of paper and found where he had been, so went back up top to buy the map from the shop. Now it's down to the pink bubbly area which reminds me of Metroid!

Oct 27, 2017
Made good progress tonight. Got through the jellyfish bubble area then on to a mushroom area. Made it to the Mantis Village and hot the wall-jump. Now trying to access a few things up sheer walls I've encountered along my travels. I reckon I've played about 8 hours now.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
So, I beat the not-final-boss, with around 75% completion, and now I'm trying to do the rest and...well...

How many of these late-game bosses demand split-second reactions? Because I'm physically not capable of such feats (visual disability means I take an extra second to process things). The few bosses I've attempted have been...frustrating to say the least, and I'd rather quit now than waste my time on a game I'll struggle to complete :/

So, I beat the not-final-boss, with around 75% completion, and now I'm trying to do the rest and...well...

How many of these late-game bosses demand split-second reactions? Because I'm physically not capable of such feats (visual disability means I take an extra second to process things). The few bosses I've attempted have been...frustrating to say the least, and I'd rather quit now than waste my time on a game I'll struggle to complete :/
I fear it's not going to get better for you. They put some shit into the game for the really skilled players.
But 75% are not too much, I suspect, you haven't found a whole area yet. You should explore a bit more and see where it leads you if you have fun with that.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I've absoltely loved the 60 or so hours I poured into HK, but I think the White Palace is where we part ways. What that level entails is just not what I enjoy about the game and my platform skills are lacking.

I'm massively looking forward to what these guys'll cook up next. And proud to be a kickstarter supporter for this game.
The game seems to coach you with the promise of being able to accomplish most things, but I feel like there is a definite wall for most people. I reached mine at the Godhome and Nightmare King Grimm stuff. Just too much for what I care about.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I fear it's not going to get better for you. They put some shit into the game for the really skilled players.
But 75% are not too much, I suspect, you haven't found a whole area yet. You should explore a bit more and see where it leads you if you have fun with that.
That's what I was expecting :/ Some stuff is just...obnoxious. Especially when you have an annoying "ally" making stupid noises that throw off your sound effect-based timing...

Oct 25, 2017
OK so I've got 94% completion and I'm now trying what I believe is the final boss (might be penultimate). Two questions:

- is there any reason to try and complete everything before challenging the boss?
- I don't know if I have any patience left to continue scouring the world to find the remaining items. Is it reasonable to try out a guide?

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
OK so I've got 94% completion and I'm now trying what I believe is the final boss (might be penultimate). Two questions:

- is there any reason to try and complete everything before challenging the boss?
- I don't know if I have any patience left to continue scouring the world to find the remaining items. Is it reasonable to try out a guide?

There is no real "point of no return". You're able to reload your last save after beating the final boss and you're free to jump right back in and go wrap up whatever else you might want to do (helpful with the additions of the DLCs, obviously).

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be one of the few games where I genuinely can't tell what sequence I should have done things in, because now I'm going back to areas I thought I completed a dozen of hours ago and realizing I missed something critical.

I feel like I've explored every area as much I can at this point, though, so I guess I'm stuck.

I've
absorbed Herrah
so far, but am at a loss for how to access the other two Dreamers.

The main things stopping progression right now is the lack of a
double jump and some way to pass through the black energy columns.
I've checked out as much of Crystal Peaks as I could until I reached dead ends since I couldn't get higher. Same issue with trying to reach the Palace Grounds and some places in Kingdom's Edge, I think. I was able to bounce to the left in the Ancient Basin, but then can't get high enough to go further. With Fog Canyon and some other areas, it's the black column issue.

Basically feeling a bit stumped. Any non-spoilery hints?
The Forgotten Crossroads are now infected, though, so that's a change.

Last edited:

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I think this might be one of the few games where I genuinely can't tell what sequence I should have done things in, because now I'm going back to areas I thought I completed a dozen of hours ago and realizing I missed something critical.

I feel like I've explored every area as much I can at this point, though, so I guess I'm stuck.

I've
absorbed Herrah
so far, but am at a loss for how to access the other two Dreamers.

The main things stopping progression right now is the lack of a
double jump and some way to pass through the black energy columns.
I've checked out as much of Crystal Peaks as I could until I reached dead ends since I couldn't get higher. Same issue with trying to reach the Palace Grounds and some places in Kingdom's Edge, I think. I was able to bounce to the left in the Ancient Basin, but then can't get high enough to go further. With Fog Canyon and some other areas, it's the black column issue.

Basically feeling a bit stumped. Any non-spoilery hints?
The Forgotten Crossroads are now infected, though, so that's a change.

Did you get the movement upgrade from Crystal Peaks? You should be able to reach it by now. Once you have that, it will be obvious how to progress in Ancient Basin.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Did you get the movement upgrade from Crystal Peaks? You should be able to reach it by now. Once you have that, it will be obvious how to progress in Ancient Basin.
Somehow, I kept missing that one small side path that would actually lead me to that powerup. Thank you! This is a game changer.
Now I got the double jump, Descending Dark, and my last nail ability as well.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Hollow Knight is the best game ever made and it's time to prove that to myself with a full on replay.

Gonna chicken out on doing the Godmaster DLC though.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got back into this after putting about 35 hours in when I bought my Switch back in July. I'm up to about 40 hours now. Pretty sure I have all the major upgrades. Is there any particularly good build for tackling bosses? I have a bunch of movement and stability charms equipped for general exploration, but I wonder if there isn't some setup that would be more helpful for bosses themselves.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Is this DLC gonna be substantial. I'd like whole new areas, I really don't know what any of the current DLC did to the game or if I've even accessed it.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope they nerf the Pantheons. The last one at least, its no fun investing an hour and then dying to a boss you havent had time to prepare for. Just let benches be actual checkpoints so I can continue there if I die. Normally I wouldnt care, but since you get an actual ending for doing this it feels more significant to miss out on, all because of skill required. At the very east I hope they're gonna be more sane with Silksong stuff.

Silksong looks sooo stunning! I'm super hyped.

I recently got back into this after putting about 35 hours in when I bought my Switch back in July. I'm up to about 40 hours now. Pretty sure I have all the major upgrades. Is there any particularly good build for tackling bosses? I have a bunch of movement and stability charms equipped for general exploration, but I wonder if there isn't some setup that would be more helpful for bosses themselves.
Well, sure. There are different strategies for every boss and charm recommondations. Depends on the boss and your personal preferences.

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of wish the bosses in this had health bars. I got to the boss of the spooky sanctuary and I was spending most of my time avoiding its attacks and barely getting any hits in. I'd like to know how much I'm damaging it and how hard I should be going in at it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I finally ended up in
The White Palace today, and all I have to say is fuck this place. I'm at the save just before the last big stretch and it's pretty fucking ridiculous at this point.

Are there any charm combos that are especially helpful? I have the ones for quicker movement speed, more health, and soul vessel charge on taking damage, but this shit is still rough.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I finally ended up in
The White Palace today, and all I have to say is fuck this place. I'm at the save just before the last big stretch and it's pretty fucking ridiculous at this point. I also used the soul from damage charm as well as the dashing one.

Are there any charm combos that are especially helpful? I have the ones for quicker movement speed, more health, and soul vessel charge on taking damage, but this shit is still rough.
Apparently, there's a charm that gives you health regen on the last hit taken.
Wish I knew about it beforehand.

Any particular parts you're struggling with? I wasn't ashamed of doing some sequence breaking when I got impatient. (By basically bouncing off of the top of saws or spikes.)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Any particular parts you're struggling with? I wasn't ashamed of doing some sequence breaking when I got impatient. (By basically bouncing off of the top of saws or spikes.)

I think I know the charm you're talking about but that's one of the few I don't have yet. It's an idea, though.

The part I haven't made it past yet is pretty close to the end of the thing, where there's a very narrow corridor with spikes alternating from the ceiling and floor. I almost got through but I lost it at the last one. It's scary because you have to dash from one safe spot to the next and there's no room for error. I think on the last bit I need to use that crystal blast flight move.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017

That charm is ESSENTIAL to the White Palace stuff IMO. I wouldn't have even attempted it were it not for that, as I'm not into the whole Super Meat Boy-style punish platforming. Using the charm didn't take away the challenge, it just gives a bit of a reprieve. If something goes wrong, all you have to do is wait a little longer.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The part I haven't made it past yet is pretty close to the end of the thing, where there's a very narrow corridor with spikes alternating from the ceiling and floor. I almost got through but I lost it at the last one. It's scary because you have to dash from one safe spot to the next and there's no room for error. I think on the last bit I need to use that crystal blast flight move.
Go with your intuition on this one. (That's exactly what I ended up doing.) So don't be too discouraged. You've almost got it!
That charm is ESSENTIAL to the White Palace stuff IMO. I wouldn't have even attempted it were it not for that, as I'm not into the whole Super Meat Boy-style punish platforming. Using the charm didn't take away the challenge, it just gives a bit of a reprieve. If something goes wrong, all you have to do is wait a little longer.
I hated it in the moment, but barely clearing it with one bit of health remaining was intense in a good way. I never imagined that they'd fit in such a section in the game.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Go with your intuition on this one. (That's exactly what I ended up doing.) So don't be too discouraged. You've almost got it!
Ended up getting through pretty easily today. I may have just been too tired to finish the section last night. Wrapped up a bunch of other things too including finding all of the charms. I'm sitting at 98% completion so I guess it's time to do the final boss(es).

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I think Hollow Knight is the best game ever made and it's time to prove that to myself with a full on replay.

Gonna chicken out on doing the Godmaster DLC though.

Yep, just started a replay of my own two weeks ago. Truly a masterpiece.

I think I know the charm you're talking about but that's one of the few I don't have yet. It's an idea, though.

Yeah, that charm will trivialize it. Click the first spoiler for the name of the charm, the second for where to find it.

Hiveblood

The Hive, east of the Kingdom's Edge tram station

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Ok I have to rant: I started playing this game a couple of days ago and I've reached Hornet and I just. Cannot. Beat. Her. I understand her attacks and I know to stay to the side but she still fakes me out with those jumps. I expect a mid air dash but nope, she does the spindly thing instead and knocks my energy down when I jump in preparation to avoid said mid air dash attack. I can only manage to get a few hits in before she overwhelms me.

I've beaten Order of Ecclaisia so I'm no stranger to memorizing difficult boss patterns but this seems like too much too early. It's really frikin frustrating.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I have to rant: I started playing this game a couple of days ago and I've reached Hornet and I just. Cannot. Beat. Her. I understand her attacks and I know to stay to the side but she still fakes me out with those jumps. I expect a mid air dash but nope, she does the spindly thing instead and knocks my energy down when I jump in preparation to avoid said mid air dash attack. I can only manage to get a few hits in before she overwhelms me.

I've beaten Order of Ecclaisia so I'm no stranger to memorizing difficult boss patterns but this seems like too much too early. It's really frikin frustrating.

She telegraphs her attacks quite clearly. To start, try just not attacking her at all. Focus on just avoiding her attacks and learning her patterns. When you can comfortably avoid her, add some attacks to the mix. It took me two-three tries to get her on my first playthrough; the bench is very near so don't feel bad about not getting it first time.

Oct 25, 2017
NMK down!

To be honest, he/she wasnt that hard. Probably the only dream boss that I dodnf feel was a noticeable step up from the base fight.I never felt overwhelmed like I did with the latter iterations of Badass Zote or The Radiance. Hell...I'd even say the Watcher Knightswas a harder fight.

NMK was a test of execution and consistency. Very little room for mistakes.

On to Godhome and then the terrible wait for HK2.

Thinking about SS mode eventually but I hate losing saved progress. But then again that kinda Dead Cells concept sounds cool and at least I'd be forced to really learn the game

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the Path of Pain. It was tricky, but seemed very fair with a lot of checkpoints...up until the very end. The very last section where you needed to bounce on a saw, dash through an opening, and then bounce on the saw again on the other side was brutal. If the entire thing took me about an hour and a half, a whole hour was just on that part.

Oct 27, 2017

Man, this is totally me with most boss battles. The first few tries I'm completely overwhelmed and get destroyed. Then I start to get used to countering or avoiding attacks and can just about eke out enough to survive (barely). I've beaten about 6 or 7 bosses now I think, and the whole time I'm just getting through by the skin of my teeth.

Also, a question to those with more experience with the game:
after Millibelle bails, is there another bank?
I'm currently carrying around about 3000 geo with nothing to actually spend it on in Dirtmouth any more. I suppose I could visit the relics guy again to spend some money, but I can't remember where his shop was.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also, a question to those with more experience with the game:
after Millibelle bails, is there another bank?
I'm currently carrying around about 3000 geo with nothing to actually spend it on in Dirtmouth any more. I suppose I could visit the relics guy again to spend some money, but I can't remember where his shop was.

R.e. your question: no there isn't.

Even if you don't have anything in dirtmouth to buy right now, there will be more uses for geo than you have access to eventually if you try and go for absolutely everything, so try not to be too careless with it if you can help it.

I suppose I could visit the relics guy again to spend some money, but I can't remember where his shop was.
Huh? You cannot spend money there, it's the other way round: you sell relics to get more Geo. He's in the city of tears, near the entrance to the sewers.
Have you found the fountain in the ancient basin yet? I used my Geo on that until I had a new goal to save money for.