• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
R.e. your question: no there isn't.

Even if you don't have anything in dirtmouth to buy right now, there will be more uses for geo than you have access to eventually if you try and go for absolutely everything, so try not to be too careless with it if you can help it.

Thanks. But of a ballache, but I guess it adds to the tension of playing! My daughter was watching me play earlier and she said she both loves it and hates it because it's such a stressful game!

Huh? You cannot spend money there, it's the other way round: you sell relics to get more Geo. He's in the city of tears, near the entrance to the sewers.
Have you found the fountain in the ancient basin yet? I used my Geo on that until I had a new goal to save money for.

Sorry, I meant the charm shop, not the relic shop. Got them mixed up. I remember where the charm shop is (just been on the wiki) so I'll head over there and buy a few more.

Edit - no, I have not been to the Ancient Basin yet I don't think.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Can someone help me please? idk where the hell i should go. Every exit is blocked or is a dead end. I've already defeated the boss in the center of the map and that Fly thing.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Can someone help me please? idk where the hell i should go. Every exit is blocked or is a dead end. I've already defeated the boss in the center of the map and that Fly thing.

There is an area past the boss (above you in the picture) that you need to enter. There is an ability that you'll need to proceed.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
do you mean the "shouting" ability? I've already got this but not don't know where to use to proceed.

The ability is called "Vengeful Spirit". Check your inventory for it.

If you have that, then you can proceed tthe game by going to the middle left in your picture. There will be a bug blocking your path that you can only shoot from distance with that new ability.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The ability is called "Vengeful Spirit". Check your inventory for it.

If you have that, then you can proceed tthe game by going to the middle left in your picture. There will be a bug blocking your path that you can only shoot from distance with that new ability.

Thank you so much.

Jul 20, 2018
Beat the third pantheon a while ago and my body is still pumping. Took me hours and I took a break for months because I couldn't do it. Now for that fourth pantheon...

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Mantis Lords; I can't beat them. I've mostly got the pattern down on the first and I can defeat her while still at full health, but the other two are too damn relentless and I don't ever seem to have ltlime to heal.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Mantis Lords; I can't beat them. I've mostly got the pattern down on the first and I can defeat her while still at full health, but the other two are too damn relentless and I don't ever seem to have ltlime to heal.
My advice is don't heal.

I mean, you can heal. Certain patterns of their ranged attack give you an opportunity to stand in the middle and heal since the weapons will just pass overhead, for example. But every moment throughout the fight that you're looking to get away, survive, and heal is a moment better spent sticking to the script and dodging the patterns. Keep at it and don't panic and seemingly out of nowhere you'll find that you've won.

Oct 27, 2017
My advice is don't heal.

I mean, you can heal. Certain patterns of their ranged attack give you an opportunity to stand in the middle and heal since the weapons will just pass overhead, for example. But every moment throughout the fight that you're looking to get away, survive, and heal is a moment better spent sticking to the script and dodging the patterns. Keep at it and don't panic and seemingly out of nowhere you'll find that you've won.

Thanks for the advice, but I managed to scrape through. I changed my charms tried being a bit more patient and it worked. Now on to Deepnest. Been in a couple of screens and it already feels chittery and creepy.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
In general, I think not healing is a good policy on bosses. I just kinda resigned myself to it around Watcher Knights and I think it helped me enormously throughout the rest of the game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
In general, I think not healing is a good policy on bosses. I just kinda resigned myself to it around Watcher Knights and I think it helped me enormously throughout the rest of the game.
In the Watcher Knights you can heal easily once or twice in the fight when you kill at least one of the knights. Fragile strength + Desolate Dive + the charm that increases your spell's damage destroys them in a few seconds.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
In the Watcher Knights you can heal easily once or twice in the fight when you kill at least one of the knights. Fragile strength + Desolate Dive + the charm that increases your spell's damage destroys them in a few seconds.
I know you can. I'm saying I chose not to heal, and I think it benefited me a lot in the long run. Especially for stuff like Godhome/Pantheons, purposefully choosing never to heal let me just focus on learning the pattern for attacking instead of trying to find space to heal.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Damn it Soul Master... I love this game. Wasn't sold on it initially. And the first few hours didn't do much for me either, but by now it has clicked.
I didn't even like the art at first. But now I really really love it.

But Soul Master is serious bullshit... had maybe ... 6 or 7 tries and still didn't defeat him. The nearest save point is way too far from the encounter and I didn't even know he had two phases! Got to phase 2 at my 6th try and was fucked then...
This game can be way too punishing. I'd wish it were a little easier, or had an easy difficulty option.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped playing this around the time Battlefield V came out. Picked it up again yesterday due to the Silksong hype and....I'm somewhere in the White Palace with no clue where to go. LOL. Guess it's time to go watch a walk-through to figure out where the hell I am and where I need to go.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn it Soul Master... I love this game. Wasn't sold on it initially. And the first few hours didn't do much for me either, but by now it has clicked.

But Soul Master is serious bullshit... had maybe ... 6 or 7 tries and still didn't defeat him. The nearest save point is way too far from the encounter and I didn't even know he had two phases! Got to phase 2 at my 6th try and was fucked then...
This game can be way too punishing. I'd wish it were a little easier, or had an easy difficulty option.
There was really only one instance in the game where I lost a considerable amount of Geo, and it was during the trek back through that cavalcade of teleporting assholes. Yeah, the distance between benches seems to be a sticking point for some people, but that was honestly the only time I felt particularly burdened by it.

Good luck!

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Deepnest is unnerving. I kept getting the feeling of creepy crawlies on my skin as I was playing.

However, I've done
the trap from the creepy village weirdos and got back out
, and I don't know where to go now. I think I've explored most of the area, although there were a few bits I wanted to double check, but the whole place is such a ballache to navigate that I'm not sure I can be bothered. Thank fuck there's a stag station right there otherwise I'd feel really isolated down there.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that was one of the hardest bosses for me so far too. And the trek back there was a pain too as I hate the fucking Soul Wizards or whatever they're called, even though there's only one or two as I recall.

For the boss, I think he has about 3 main attacks? When he fires the orange balls I thought the best thing was to keep my distance and ground-dash underneath them. When he plummets downwards obviously you want to dash out of the way, but look out for his fakeout. Then when he gets four orange balls and moves across the screen it's a good time to get a couple of hits on him by jumping & swiping up, as long as you time your jumps with the balls. Just move out of the way before he disappears as it's easy to get hit by them as they shoot off.

When he's injured it's a good time to heal once, then hit him before he recovers. Obviously you know the floor crumbles for phase 2, but aside from constant dashing I didn't find that part too tricky. I didn't heal after phase 1 (thinking the battle was over!) and had to do phase 2 on only 2 parts of health.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, that was one of the hardest bosses for me so far too. And the trek back there was a pain too as I hate the fucking Soul Wizards or whatever they're called, even though there's only one or two as I recall.

For the boss, I think he has about 3 main attacks? When he fires the orange balls I thought the best thing was to keep my distance and ground-dash underneath them. When he plummets downwards obviously you want to dash out of the way, but look out for his fakeout. Then when he gets four orange balls and moves across the screen it's a good time to get a couple of hits on him by jumping & swiping up, as long as you time your jumps with the balls. Just move out of the way before he disappears as it's easy to get hit by them as they shoot off.

When he's injured it's a good time to heal once, then hit him before he recovers. Obviously you know the floor crumbles for phase 2, but aside from constant dashing I didn't find that part too tricky. I didn't heal after phase 1 (thinking the battle was over!) and had to do phase 2 on only 2 parts of health.
Thanks for the tips. I'm finding it hardest when he does the fake stomp. It almost always hits me, as I keep dashing away and back into the attack when he does the second real stomp.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips. I'm finding it hardest when he does the fake stomp. It almost always hits me, as I keep dashing away and back into the attack when he does the second real stomp.

Yeah, he's a proper bastard. That fake stomp frustrated the hell out of me too. I don't know if it has a tell before he does it, but like most boss battles the fight moves so quickly you don't have enough time to read it. What system you playing on? If it's PS4 could you do the shareplay thing to get help from someone else?

Also, I didn't mention it but don't forget to play around with your charms as that can be really helpful in boss fights. There's one that lets you heal quicker which I found very helpful.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's a proper bastard. That fake stomp frustrated the hell out of me too. I don't know if it has a tell before he does it, but like most boss battles the fight moves so quickly you don't have enough time to read it.
You could always just dash twice to be safe, right? I don't remember if I had Dashmaster equipped when I did that boss battle, but it didn't hit me recently without it equipped (since the DLC has a thing that lets you rechallenge any boss you've fought previously). Actually, at that point in the fight, it's probably safer to just walk and wait.

Maybe he does the fake dive more if you're airborne while he starts it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've got the Monarch Wings, I've got the massive sideways dash (can I just call it the Goat Dash?!) but I kinda don't know where to go next. I suppose I should re-explore old areas now I've got the Monarch Wings, but I've done about 26ish hours and I'm kinda running out of steam so I think I may just head towards the endgame. I suppose I should seek out the three bug masks on my map? I've got to the one in Deepnest but couldn't find it despite being at the icon on the map.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
I've got the Monarch Wings, I've got the massive sideways dash (can I just call it the Goat Dash?!) but I kinda don't know where to go next. I suppose I should re-explore old areas now I've got the Monarch Wings, but I've done about 26ish hours and I'm kinda running out of steam so I think I may just head towards the endgame. I suppose I should seek out the three bug masks on my map? I've got to the one in Deepnest but couldn't find it despite being at the icon on the map.
You should be able to explore most of the map now, could you show us your map?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wish the Path of Pain wasnt blocked after completing it. I wanna do it again without having to replay the game.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Soul Master was the first serious boss for me. That's when I thought, this game is not playing around lol.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've got to the one in Deepnest but couldn't find it despite being at the icon on the map

Look around the room you mentioned in the spoiler here with the "weirdos" some more, you need to find the beasts den. I think you had to go inside a building?

Man, Deepnest is unnerving. I kept getting the feeling of creepy crawlies on my skin as I was playing.

However, I've done
the trap from the creepy village weirdos and got back out
, and I don't know where to go now. I think I've explored most of the area, although there were a few bits I wanted to double check, but the whole place is such a ballache to navigate that I'm not sure I can be bothered. Thank fuck there's a stag station right there otherwise I'd feel really isolated down there.

Last edited:

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, it's time to visit the Dreamers at this point.

To find the Dreamer in Deepnest, explore the buildings at the map marker. Note that there are several buildings.

You should also be able to access the Dreamer in the City of Tears now.

As for the last one, you'll need Isma's Tear. Explore the Royal Waterways some more if you don't have it yet.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished my second plathrough.

This game is still soooo goooood. Playing trough it again was loads of fun. I defeated almost every single boss on the first try, except for the true final boss and The Collector (though I skipped the DLC bosses). It felt so much easier the second time, and that also gave the combat such a nice flow.

Sorry, I meant the charm shop, not the relic shop. Got them mixed up. I remember where the charm shop is (just been on the wiki) so I'll head over there and buy a few more.

Edit - no, I have not been to the Ancient Basin yet I don't think.

Btw you can buy a pin at the map shop that will mark all shops on your map

To find the Dreamer in Deepnest, explore the buildings at the map marker. Note that there are several buildings.

As for the last one, you'll need Isma's Tear. Explore the Royal Waterways some more if you don't have it yet.

Imo save the dreamer in City of Tears until last, it's guarded by imo the most difficult boss fight up until that point in the game. Much easier to defeat with an upgraded nail.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can I just say fuck every. boss that constantly summons floating enemies alongside having a fast attack pattern that almost never allows time to heal?

Soul Knight (Why is he so much harder than Soul Master?), the Lost Kin, fuck every one of them. They're horribly designed bosses and feel difficult in the most lazy and cheap way possible. You can't jump safely because an enemy can and often will literally spawn on your face, you can't heal, and so they become these stupid DPS races that just aren't satisfying when you win, especially since there's such a heavy RNG element with the boss AI and add positions compared to other fights.

I like hard bosses, but there's a difference between a well-designed hard boss and just tossing shit on the screen on a boss that already heavily punishes you for taking any damage. Especially when said boss is just the same boss you already fought but slightly tweaked. This is the same shit Dark Souls 2 was crucified over and it's inexcusable in a game that's otherwise so good.

Last edited:

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say fuck every. boss that constantly summons floating enemies alongside having a fast attack pattern that almost never allows time to heal?

Soul Knight (Why is he so much harder than Soul Master?), the Lost Kin, fuck every one of them. They're horribly designed bosses and feel difficult in the most lazy and cheap way possible. You can't jump safely because an enemy can and often will literally spawn on your face, you can't heal, and so they become these stupid DPS races that just aren't satisfying when you win, especially since there's such a heavy RNG element with the boss AI and add positions compared to other fights.

I like hard bosses, but there's a difference between a well-designed hard boss and just tossing shit on the screen on a boss that already heavily punishes you for taking any damage. Especially when said boss is just the same boss you already fought but slightly tweaked. This is the same shit Dark Souls 2 was crucified over and it's inexcusable in a game that's otherwise so good.
Lost Kin is legitimately bad. If you don't have Quick Focus equipped, you essentially can't heal due to the ghosty spam and the difficulty curve spikes hard for that reason. And a regular ol' boss shouldn't railroad you into a certain charm like that. It's a purely frustrating fight even when it's just a stepping stone in an endgame boss rush.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Lost Kin is legitimately bad. If you don't have Quick Focus equipped, you essentially can't heal due to the ghosty spam and the difficulty curve spikes hard for that reason. And a regular ol' boss shouldn't railroad you into a certain charm like that. It's a purely frustrating fight even when it's just a stepping stone in an endgame boss rush.

Remember you can jump and attack at the same time, and the enemies during the Lost Kin fight should die in one hit (at least if you've upgraded your nail). You can equip a charm that let's you move while healing, or just skip healing altogether and just get a charm that gives you more health. The Lost Kin doesn't really have that many attacks, so learning his patterns is easy, it's just all about execution and whether you can dodge him in time. I like to fight the Lost Kin when my nail has been upgraded at least twice, and I bring Fragile Strength and Quick Slash with me too. Got him on my first try on my last playthrough. Be on the defensive, don't rush it, rather avoid a hit than deliver a hit. Imo the boss isn't badly designed at all.

Personally I enjoy the fact that there are more difficult versions of some of the easier bosses to fight, and the Lost Kin is an optional fight (maybe required for the true ending, not sure if there's enough spirit essence around without doing that fight).

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Remember you can jump and attack at the same time, and the enemies during the Lost Kin fight should die in one hit (at least if you've upgraded your nail). You can equip a charm that let's you move while healing, or just skip healing altogether and just get a charm that gives you more health. The Lost Kin doesn't really have that many attacks, so learning his patterns is easy, it's just all about execution and whether you can dodge him in time. I like to fight the Lost Kin when my nail has been upgraded at least twice, and I bring Fragile Strength and Quick Slash with me too. Got him on my first try on my last playthrough. Be on the defensive, don't rush it, rather avoid a hit than deliver a hit. Imo the boss isn't badly designed at all.

Personally I enjoy the fact that there are more difficult versions of some of the easier bosses to fight, and the Lost Kin is an optional fight (maybe required for the true ending, not sure if there's enough spirit essence around without doing that fight).
My first go-around, the boss fell right over when I went back and equipped Quick Focus. But without Quick Focus, running into a fight where you essentially cannot heal is a huge difficulty spike, and the fact that it's accomplished through random mob spam and not an actually interesting boss pattern is obnoxious. I adore the game and I've faced down some of its toughest challenges, but I will gladly declare that Lost Kin is among its worst bosses and that mob spam's an annoying way of making something difficult, even if I've never died to it since.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My first go-around, the boss fell right over when I went back and equipped Quick Focus. But without Quick Focus, running into a fight where you essentially cannot heal is a huge difficulty spike, and the fact that it's accomplished through random mob spam and not an actually interesting boss pattern is obnoxious. I adore the game and I've faced down some of its toughest challenges, but I will gladly declare that Lost Kin is among its worst bosses and that mob spam's an annoying way of making something difficult, even if I've never died to it since.
I remember someone told me to equip the Defender's Crest and I beat Lost Kin on my first try afterwards. That's not well-balanced difficulty when a 1 slot charm can turn a nightmarish boss like that into an utter joke. I tried beating it "legit" this time and it's just not fun.

There are a lot of really fun, well-designed bosses in Hollow Knight. I just really hate the Lost Kin.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

I get what you're saying but I just don't agree. You can equip charms to combat the difficulties. Defender's Crest will negate the little mobs, or you can use Joni's Blessing and get more health and just don't heal. When I fight Lost Kin, I don't heal at all. The mobs die in one hit, and they have a big hurtbox, so I never had any trouble taking them out. To me the boss battle is a fun challenge. You just gotta think twice about what charms you equip and you gotta think about how you prioritise offense and defense in your combat style.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Started the game (finally) a few days ago and am quite enjoying it. The abilities (and enemies) are starting to pick up finally and am enjoying the bosses. The only one I've had trouble with so far was the spewing guy (forgot the name) that hops around and just spits orange goo. One of the barrages was just basically unavoidable for me unless I got real lucky so it was just forced damage for me.

But I'm mostly coming in to post and flex that I beat Soul Master first try. I kept hearing the name get thrown around in some of these threads. It definitely had me sweat a bit but after I just stopped trying to go ham and just spend a minute or two dodging, I got him down pretty clean. Both Soul Master and the Mantis Trio were quite good. I hope the bosses keep ramping up.

I am still refusing to buy that first(?) nail upgrade from the smithy; I'll see how long I can keep this up.

Oct 27, 2017
You should be able to explore most of the map now, could you show us your map?
Look around the room you mentioned in the spoiler here with the "weirdos" some more, you need to find the beasts den. I think you had to go inside a building?

Thanks everyone; I found Herrah the Beast. Didn't know what to do with her at first until my daughter realised she had the little circular dream patterns floating around her! I've barely used the Dream Nail so totally forgot I was even carrying it. Now I'm stuck on the second
Hornet
boss at Kingdom's Edge. She's just too damn fast and I can't lock down her attack patterns. I tried new charms, I tried playing defensively, trying to use the walls as much as possible, and it just wasn't happening.

Elsewhere I also fought the Watcher Knights a bunch of times and I couldn't even defeat 2 of them. 1v1 is just about manageable, but when it's 1v2 I just got wrecked every time, as they again move fast and there rarely seemed to be an opening to attack them without receiving damage myself. I've learnt about the way to take 1 down from the Wiki so I'll do that later and see if I can take out the other 5 going back to the battle with a refreshed perspective.

Started the game (finally) a few days ago and am quite enjoying it. The abilities (and enemies) are starting to pick up finally and am enjoying the bosses. The only one I've had trouble with so far was the spewing guy (forgot the name) that hops around and just spits orange goo. One of the barrages was just basically unavoidable for me unless I got real lucky so it was just forced damage for me.

But I'm mostly coming in to post and flex that I beat Soul Master first try. I kept hearing the name get thrown around in some of these threads. It definitely had me sweat a bit but after I just stopped trying to go ham and just spend a minute or two dodging, I got him down pretty clean. Both Soul Master and the Mantis Trio were quite good. I hope the bosses keep ramping up.

I am still refusing to buy that first(?) nail upgrade from the smithy; I'll see how long I can keep this up.

Why would you not want to get an upgraded weapon? Unless you're trying to make things harder for yourself?!

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone; I found Herrah the Beast. Didn't know what to do with her at first until my daughter realised she had the little circular dream patterns floating around her! I've barely used the Dream Nail so totally forgot I was even carrying it. Now I'm stuck on the second
Hornet
boss at Kingdom's Edge. She's just too damn fast and I can't lock down her attack patterns. I tried new charms, I tried playing defensively, trying to use the walls as much as possible, and it just wasn't happening.

Elsewhere I also fought the Watcher Knights a bunch of times and I couldn't even defeat 2 of them. 1v1 is just about manageable, but when it's 1v2 I just got wrecked every time, as they again move fast and there rarely seemed to be an opening to attack them without receiving damage myself. I've learnt about the way to take 1 down from the Wiki so I'll do that later and see if I can take out the other 5 going back to the battle with a refreshed perspective.

Why would you not want to get an upgraded weapon? Unless you're trying to make things harder for yourself?!

Told you to wait with the Watcher Knights :b Imo they're quite tough, but with an upgraded nail and quick slash you can wail on them so fast that you're almost always doing 1v1. Also btw you can kill one before the battle even starts if you explore a little.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I think Hollow Knight is the best game ever made and it's time to prove that to myself with a full on replay.

Gonna chicken out on doing the Godmaster DLC though.

I think I finished around 3rd Pantheon of Godmaster before quitting it. I'm glad that such a hard challenge exists,but yeah not for me lol. This game is a masterpiece,among the best of its genre

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Fun Fact:
The bosses get more health with every nail upgrade. Nevertheless, you need fewer hits than with a not upgraded nail, but it is used in speed runs: don't upgrade the nail, to keep the HP low and push the damage of spells to the max with charms.

What I also learned from speed runs is that Desolate Dive/Descending Dark are kinda OP thanks to not only high dmg but the long invincibility frames. So often when you feel like you'll be unable to evade an attack it's best to just DD and walk/dash away afterward.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Watcher Knights are just wrecking me. I can take out 2 of them but that's it. I've fought them about 10 times now and it's stressing me out. Might have to put the game down for a while and come back to it in a few days or a week.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Fun Fact:
The bosses get more health with every nail upgrade. Nevertheless, you need fewer hits than with a not upgraded nail, but it is used in speed runs: don't upgrade the nail, to keep the HP low and push the damage of spells to the max with charms.

Honestly reading this earlier skewed my perspective hard and I couldn't "unthink" knowing the hp values being lower and spells being "stronger" than they should. Ended up upgrading the weapon cause it was bothering me a lot and was bummed out about that knowledge.