• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...boot-works-snow-white-huntsman-writer-1272672

Anaconda, the late 1990s animal horror hit, is getting the reboot treatment.

Sony's Columbia Pictures is developing an all-new and all-modern take on the cult movie, hiring Evan Daugherty, who has worked on such tentpoles as Tomb Raider and Snow White and the Huntsman, to pen the script.

No producer is attached at this stage.

The 1997 original followed a documentary film crew in the Amazon that comes across an obsessed hunter looking to find a legendary anaconda. The hunter derails the expedition for his own purpose, with the filmmakers now forced to contend with a murderous madman and a giant snake that will squeeze the life out of them and swallow them for good measure.

The movie starred Jennifer Lopez, Ice Cube, Jon Voight, Eric Stoltz, Owen Wilson, Kari Wuhrer and Jonathan Hyde.

Pilloried by critics and earning numerous Razzies, the creature feature nevertheless proved popular with audiences. It also launched a franchise, including one theatrical sequel and three direct-to-home releases. Insiders say the title has proved to be one of the most profitable in Sony's library.

Sources say Daugherty's take is not a remake or a sequel but a reimagining. While details are being kept deep in the belly of the beast, it is known that the studio is hoping to take a Meg-style approach to the concept. The Meg was the 2018 Jason Statham-starring movie that upped the killer shark movie concept by having scientists deal with a prehistoric shark dinosaur known as a megalodon. The movie made over half a billion dollars. The studio is aiming to take what was a simple and relatively cheap programmer with a B-movie concept and eventize it in scope and budget.

Daugherty made a splash when he co-wrote 2012's Huntsman, which starred Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and Kristen Stewart. He also worked on Divergent, the YA action-adventure thriller starring Shailene Woodley, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Tomb Raider, helping launch MGM's Lara Croft franchise starring Alicia Vikander.

He is repped by Verve, management firm Alibi and law outfit McKuin Frankel.

Of all the films needing a reboot

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood has never seen an old snake of an idea it doesn't want to tread on time and time again

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
GiftedAssuredCrocodileskink-small.gif

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
After Crawl, I say bring on decent-budget creature feature revival

Someone should remake Wild Beasts
tumblr_omc6e8dFtY1rnx8mmo5_400.gifv

tumblr_ppwkh4zGuU1tr6ni8o2_500.gifv

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Damnit, Sony.

Really trying to find anything in the old film library, at this point. Just give us Zorro.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Man, Hollywood is just plain out of ideas huh? I haven't gone to an actual theater in years. And it's mostly because nobody makes anything I want to see anymore. Did anybody like Anaconda enough the first time to think "hey, you know what we need? Another Anaconda movie!"

Dud.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Make it a sequel with a Robert Shaw-esque Ice Cube, and you got yourself a deal!

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Sure, as long as someone is getting crushed between thighs.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
More creature features please.

I'm surprised they haven't done Manticore or Chinera. Even put the FMA like chimera daughter hybrid there and you got a meme machine for years.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Roar is insane and wonderful. It's like watching a snuff film, but everyone involved is completely unaware of how batshit the whole situation is
I like when they're attempting to deliver their lines, but the lions are like lol nope.

Although, I felt for the kids.

Their insane father put them in that situation, and one of them ended up needing like 70 stitches after one lion went after her face. The Blu-ray special features are almost as startling and eye-opening as the film itself.

Dec 31, 2017
Yes please! I always associate this movie with "The Third Man" about the ghost playing basketball.
How did you fuck that one up?
MV5BOGI3YmE2YTktMmRmMy00NDE4LTgzZTctOGQ2MmE2MTk0MGRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Also this is either gonna go two ways.

Even sillier than the original. And intentionally bad is never entertaining.

Or slightly more realistic and horror based. Which would just be unpleasant.

It's a no win situation.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just came here to say Anaconda was a fun movie. Also, Snow White was good, and Tomb Raider was the best video game film yet.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Anaconda with my brother. It was terrible. I remarked to him how awful it was on the way out, and predicted it would bomb.

He replied that it was indeed awful, but it was going to be a hit. "You didn't look around", he said. "People were eating that shit up."

He was right.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
My anaconda don't want none unless Lopez is in it son!

I just watched it again like a month ago. I'll have to check out Roar that y'all are raving about. Sounds like a horrible time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Anaconda with my brother. It was terrible. I remarked to him how awful it was on the way out, and predicted it would bomb.

He replied that it was indeed awful, but it was going to be a hit. "You didn't look around", he said. "People were eating that shit up."

He was right.
One's trash is another's dumb Hollywood b-movie treasure