• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's not recent, but Tropic Thunder managed blackface well enough for me not to get offended by how stupidly clever it was presented
Which is the point as there's a caveat on that depiction.
As I say below:
Can't speak to the IASIP one as I haven't seen it but from reading posts on the forum Tropic Thunder got a pass because it was mocking the concept of it and did so thoughtfully and carefully. In other words it didn't make black people feel like shit.

I'm speaking to a comedy act using blackface to mock black people, since allegedly anything goes in comedy.

It's not a defence. People will laugh at horrible shit, it's just the way it is and comedians will continue to push boundaries and occasionally go too far to appeal to those people.
Cool, then I don't see the issue with people calling them out on their shit.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Post after post of people ( whom I assume exist in a position of privilege ) reasoning why it's ok to laugh at someone punching down on one of the most marginalized, harassed communities on the planet. I don't know how Trans members of Era do it, this is making me upset and I'm a Cis man

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Cosby is the closest thing we have to safe comedy, then the whole industry needs to be gutted.

I'm sure I've missed some sort of startling development about him being a terrible human being or something but when I think PG Comedy, Jim Gaffigan is probably the first name that springs to my mind.

I also don't watch nearly as much comedy as I did 10 - 20 years ago though when my TV was almost permanently tuned to Comedy Central. So there's probably some other prolific names out there I just am not aware of.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Post after post of people ( whom I assume exist in a position of privilege ) reasoning why it's ok to laugh at someone punching down on one of the most marginalized, harassed communities on the planet. I don't know how Trans members of Era do it, this is making me upset and I'm a Cis man
Don't worry, I'm sure we should just lighten up.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking disturbing, isn't it? Imagine this many posts trying to rationalize racist "jokes."

As a community, we should be doing much, much better at looking out for our trans members.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Tropic Thunder: Robert Downey Jr.'s character is the joke, not black people
Dave Chappelle: "these trannies is crazy, man. like imagine i say I'm Asian, like 'ching chong Chinaman!'"

totally the same thing

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love Dave, but the Michael Jackson, R. Kelly and trans stuff just doesn't land. It's all hitting below the belt, and it's not funny at all. I love jokes that offend people (liked the "F-word vs. N-word" segment), but some subjects just aren't funny. There's nothing funny about kids being raped.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak to the IASIP one as I haven't seen it but from reading posts on the forum Tropic Thunder got a pass because it was mocking the concept of it and did so thoughtfully and carefully. In other words it didn't make black people feel like shit.

I'm speaking to a comedy act using blackface to mock black people, since allegedly anything goes in comedy.

IASIP's punchline is pretty similar. You merely asked for well received comedy with blackface, so I gave you two examples. Those are the type of jokes I think of when people say things are off limits, for what it's worth.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Comedy isn't meant to be safe though and discussion of taboo and sensitive subjects through the lense of comedy has always been a thing.

We can label the audiences who laugh as trash and so on, but those people will always be there and comedians will try to appeal to them.
But that doesn't mean making fun of other races or traumatic experiences that might severely trigger an audience member is suddenly okay.

And because people are terrible, comedians have no choice but to pander to that crowd?
The initial Bill Cosby comment clearly seemed like a joke to me. Is your post serious or some sort of meta joke?
I was serious.
I'm sure I've missed some sort of startling development about him being a terrible human being or something but when I think PG Comedy, Jim Gaffigan is probably the first name that springs to my mind.
His name sounds familiar, I'll give him a look when I get off work. Fingers crossed.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Would you laugh if someone was attacked by a shark and left disfigured and then the comedian mocked that same person for their disability, in the same way that Trump did?

I don't see much difference between that and mocking/questioning specific victims of child rape.

Context matters. If it was in a comedic movie or skit then maybe.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
IASIP's punchline is pretty similar. You merely asked for well received comedy with blackface, so I gave you two examples. Those are the type of jokes I think of when people say things are off limits, for what it's worth.
That's fair and the fault was in my wording as it betrayed what I was trying to get at.

The basic premise was that comedy does indeed have lines in the sand, because you wouldn't have a white person on stage doing blackface to mock black people. So when that's the case it just depends on who draws the line where. It is not simply the case that "comedy" gets a free pass because "comedy" in all cases.

Context matters. If it was in a comedic movie or skit then maybe.
I'm talking about a stand up comedian crudely mocking a specific person that was disabled in a bad accident. The person themselves wouldn't find it funny. I'm asking if you think you would laugh?

I can't say I would, and I don't see the defence for mocking real people that were raped as children and dismissing their story either. Whether that's on stage or in a pub matters zero.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Man, I love Dave, but the Michael Jackson, R. Kelly and trans stuff just doesn't land. It's all hitting below the belt, and it's not funny at all. I love jokes that offend people (liked the "F-word vs. N-word" segment), but some subjects just aren't funny. There's nothing funny about kids being raped.
well with that segment i, like the audience, liked the part where he said to the woman "well i'm not an n-word" buuuuut doesn't that mean he is saying all gay people are f*****s?

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Cis man, and yeah, same. I'd post a lot more but they'd be the kind of posts that might get me banned. Although perhaps if I simply end each of my posts with "it's just a joke, lighten up," those posters defending Chappelle would be cool with it. After all if you say that, it's automatically just a bit or you're inhabiting a character and is above any reason to criticize or cause offense.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His name sounds familiar, I'll give him a look when I get off work. Fingers crossed.

For that matter, Seinfeld was a notoriously clean comedian during his heyday. I haven't watched some any of his old standup in quite some time (or any new material at all as "I'm Telling You for the Last Time" was the last thing I watched) though so it's hard for me to remember whether or not any of that stuff that was "safe" in the 90s doesn't play well today.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

What if you did? Would that suddenly make you a trash person? Would you cancel yourself?

Cancelception.

As the other poster said, context matters and if it was a funny joke and not horribly mean spirited then I might laugh. Even if it was super mean spirited but managed to be funny I might laugh.

You simply can't view comedy under the same lens as everything else. It doesn't work that way.
Humor is a very complicated subject.

This thread would have gone a completely different way if Chappelle said this stuff in an actual interview with a straight face as opposed to a comedy special of his named Sticks and Stones where the entire thing was about talking about things that offend people in 2019.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017

That's something that never changed from the old board to here. It's disheartening.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What if you did? Would that suddenly make you a trash person? Would you cancel yourself?

Cancelception.

As the other poster said, context matters and if it was a funny joke and not horribly mean spirited then I might laugh. Even if it was super mean spirited but managed to be funny I might laugh.

You simply can't view comedy under the same lens as everything. It doesn't work that way.

This thread would have gone a completely different way if Chappelle said this stuff in an actual interview with a straight face as opposed to a comedy special of his named Sticks and Stones where the entire thing was about talking about things that offend people in 2019.
Where's that comedy skit with a white person doing blackface to mock black people?
The notion that comedy is anything goes is absolute bollocks.

Banging on about cancelling and 'cancelcption' when I've never mentioned it makes you sound like a child, which would align with this idea that comedy is no-holds-barred to any degree and that's that.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Thinking the same thing, tbh.

Making jokes about groups that are struggling with any degree of acceptance, visibility or awareness just sucks.

OhMan

Apr 29, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory False Equivalence; Account in Junior Phase
It's not. When right wing media coalesce around a particular figure and lauds them for punching down, it's worth noting. I just checked, Breitbart has multiple concurrent pieces on their new icon, including this one.

"Dave Chappelle just might save America" but nothing to see here, right?

Oh no
Minions is an adorable, weird, and interesting prequel that stars our favorite little yellow love bugs. Stay through the very end of the credits for a fun extra scene.
I guess minions are an alt-right icon too.
The whole idea is genius and enchanting and beguiling, and through three sequels, Pixar has yet to drop the ball, which cannot be said for its many other franchises. In fact, how many franchises — any franchise — have produced four legitimate masterpieces in a row? Off the top of my head, I can think of exactly none.
Omg not Toy Story 4 too! Always knew that was an alt-right film!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Where's that comedy skit with a white person doing blackface to mock black people?
The notion that comedy is anything goes is absolute bollocks.

It's not that anything goes, it's that anything can go if done right.

Nobody's gonna laugh at a comedian just going up on stage and yelling racial slurs for 2 hours.

Their entire job is to find ways to make things funny. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. And people will have their own opinions on what is funny and what isn't.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's not that anything goes, it's that anything can go if done right.

Nobody's gonna laugh at a comedian just going up on stage and yelling racial slurs for 2 hours.

Their entire job is to find ways to make things funny. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. And people will have their own opinions on what is funny and what isn't.
How would you do blackface mocking black people right?
How do you mock real people that were raped as children and dismiss their story, right?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Aaaaaaand this is why I was avoiding this topic for quite a while.
It's kinda like learning that an artist you genuinely liked has been turned into a TERF bot spouting all kinds of BS.
Every time someone makes a joke punching down, it's always the same joke and the only thing it's telling me is that if they saw the body of someone trans they would just go with all the assholes and just spit on the cadaver for no reason.
Like you can make jokes about everything but the joke has to be funny in the 1st place.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have any of your own thoughts on it?

My thoughts probably line up with yours. Gotta believe the victims. Jackson was most likely a pedophile, R. Kelly definitely peed on underage girls, and I thought Kevin Hart even admitted to his own wrongdoings.

Thanks for asking.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I know someone brought it up earlier, but Louis CK's bit (before people realized he actually was a shitty person) was that he was acting AS a shitty person. He was saying terrible things that people knew were terrible, but always presenting them as being in the wrong, and the comedy was from the absurdity of this person describing and rationalizing in front of the audience how wrong he was (the way people can laugh at the garbage Trump spouts because it feels unreal at some point). Sure his reveal as actually a shitty person sort of re-contextualizes a lot of that, but you can see what the intended effect was. HE was supposed to be the object of ridicule in his routine.

Dave doesn't show any sign or indication that he has the same intent behind his trans jokes. He's telling offensive jokes and he's not the target to be laughed at. He wants to make the same kind of absurdist jokes, but he's not meant to be the object of ridicule. He's not telling these jokes as a means of describing that he's the bad person in all this. He's trying to make the case that he's in the right to tell these, and people telling him to stop or the ones that are offended are in the wrong.

People are right in saying that you "can" joke about any subject in comedy, but it doesn't mean you can joke about it from every angle. It doesn't mean every joke is sacred or immune to criticism, and the bar to tell jokes about certain subjects should be (and is) insanely high when you're not a part of the group you're joking about and your jokes have a negative sting to them. The right person with the right background and the right connection with both their audience and the community could probably tell "trans" jokes and not catch flak for it when you know the intent behind it.

Dave isn't that person.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Look at this bad faith bullshit right here.

Ah, a junior account. Should have guessed.
What point? That you're just on this board to troll?
Nobody got time to argue with people who don't give a shit. If that's the only barometer available, I may as well use it.

Dg1cent.jpg

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the other person isn't trolling? Do you really think calling someone an alt-right icon because you found two articles is a good faith take?
I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of it all.
I shared two links, but Breitbart alone has FOUR separate articles lionizing Chappelle and this special all posted over the last week. And rightwing rag the Washington Examiner is also propping him up. I threw up two links but that doesn't mean those are the only articles. And that's not including all of the alt-right social media posts celebrating him, so let's not get it twisted.

I guess if you think the leading alt-right media outlet posting four articles in less than a week celebrating someone is just nothing then great. I'm not going to try to convince you of what's obvious just from a quick look.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Too busy trying to explain that mocking victims of child rape and calling them liars isn't a-ok just because some prick said it onstage with a mic at a comedy show. Haven't even bothered with the Trans trash yet.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

I also don't watch nearly as much comedy as I did 10 - 20 years ago though when my TV was almost permanently tuned to Comedy Central. So there's probably some other prolific names out there I just am not aware of.

Brian Regan is another top tier clean comedian. And so many comics, clean or dirty, see him as an all time great. He mostly just does stand up, so unless you follow stand up you probably wouldn't know him. But he has a huge fan base and sells out theaters as opposed to comedy clubs.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Too busy trying to explain that mocking victims of child rape and calling them liars isn't a-ok just because some prick said it onstage with a mic at a comedy show. Haven't even bothered with the Trans trash yet.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh I guess we're very close to the revival of Milo's career.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Alt right: "Dave makes good points about how trans people ain't shit."

Alt right: Likes kids movies.

Shitty gotcha: These are the same thing!

OhMan

Apr 29, 2019
I shared two links, but Breitbart has FOUR separate article lionizing Chappelle and this special all posted over the last week. And rightwing rag the Washington Examiner is also propping him up. I threw up two links but that doesn't mean those are the only articles. And that's not including all of the alt-right social media posts celebrating him, so let's not get it twisted.

My issue is that that doesn't make him some sort of alt-right icon.
Have you viewed the special? In it he claims to be pro-choice, he also acknowledged that Kevin hart made a mistake in making those homophobic comments.
He even said this
There's only one thing that's going to save this country from itself. Same thing that always saves this country from itself, and that is African Americans
He's done many charities, advocated for police reform, spoken out against the president.
Fun fact, he is also a Muslim.

But because the alt-right found some of his jokes funny, he is an alt-right icon now?

I don't get it

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I can't believe someone can defend this transphobic trash that literally gets people killed because "muH cOMedY".
Disgusting.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.