• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I find it somewhat disturbing how no one is talking about the rampant pedophilia among white rockstars...

White rockstars like David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger, Led Zeppelin, etc. have all been accused of raping children, or "baby groupies" as they called them. Yet there is almost no outrage against white rockstars, and their legacies are still being protected.
If you're actually disturbed by it then warrant that concern with a thread instead of a tangential side-shot in the middle of a discussion involving a specific case of it. Why would you expect that discussion to be happening here?
I feel that there is an element of racism there. While black musicians like MJ and RK should be called out, at least be consistent and call out the white rockstars who have been accused of pedophilia.
Go on then. Bemoaning every other person on the forum for not discussing something is bizarre when you're not making that discussion happen yourself. You're the one with the grievance and concern so establish that discussion instead of expecting people to intuit what you feel is and isn't being given focus on the forum and then assigning that to racism.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think MJ is 100% innocent but you don't help make the case when you go into "he may have done it but it was MICHAEL JACKSON!" material. Mind you, South Park did that joke over a decade ago and Bill Maher had a version of it too - not much of a fresh concept.
Either wilfully blind or ignorant to what child abuse is. When the sum total of the post is "He's 100% innocent but this doesn't help his case, joke is stale" don't try and mask that your intent in posting isn't just to cape for the dead child rapist.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think he did some of those things while I also believe some of it came down to money all in all I think Michael is guilty of some of it but maybe not all the claims but I'm not gonna sit here and pick apart I think he is guilty at the end
Leaving Neverland makes it pretty damn clear that the victims are credible.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Allegations of Sexual Abuse Over Multiple Posts in this Thread
don't try and mask that your intent in posting isn't just to cape for the dead child rapist.

What exactly am I masking? I explicitly said MJ is innocent and this special doesn't help the cause in my first comment. Rephrasing it doesn't reveal anything more than that.

So Leaving Neverland is just bullshit?

Deliberately one-sided and evasive. Many articles have come out since its release questioning the timelines in the movie. The movie itself has been re-edited multiple times as it screened in new markets.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What exactly am I masking? I explicitly said MJ is innocent and this special doesn't help the cause in my first comment. Rephrasing it doesn't reveal anything more than that.

Deliberately one-sided and evasive. Many articles have come out since its release questioning the timelines in the movie. The movie itself has been re-edited multiple times as it screened in new markets.
So the accusers are lying?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

There is allegedly rampant pedophilia in hollywood with underage boys as well.

Extremely fishy stuff there that kinda seems like an open secret.

Apparently Leo DiCaprio's own agents and other people he associated with when he was a child star were outright found guilty of various child sex crimes.

This is a fucked up dark world.
I really hate thinking that DiCaprio may have been a victim of that, hopefully not.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This:
It's absolutely important to mention so I'm not masking where I stand.
Seemed to imply it wasn't the focal point of your post, which it was. So why is it absolutely important people know that you think Michael Jackson is 100% innocent?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
We have a thread for this:
With pages of rebuked nonsense and full of the same tired arguments that were in the first thread. At least do people a favour and post whatever bullshit you have in there.

I wish comedy didn't get people so angry
I wish people didn't think that being on a stage with a mic gives you some elevated protection against mocking and dismissing specific victims of child rape and abuse, or that it's a valid means through which to espouse your garbage views of trans people.

Last edited:

MonstaZero

Apr 9, 2018
With pages of rebuked nonsense and full of the same tired arguments that were in the first thread. At least do people a favour and post whatever bullshit you have in there.

Don't try to traffic my words bro, you don't know me like that to be doing all that cussing and posturing you doing. This topic is literally about MJ. Wasn't even talking to you

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting

It turns out all the people who used their first post to say some variation of "loved it, good job/why you so upset" end up posting a bunch of trash if they didn't get initially banned for refusing to engage with the OP.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Don't try to traffic my words bro, you don't know me like that to be doing all that cussing and posturing you doing. This topic is literally about MJ. Wasn't even talking to you
What?

We have a thread to discuss the documentary itself which is where the topic was headed. I didn't even reference you in that prompt and had just been discussing the "MJ is innocent" nonsense with someone else entirely.

Then I did respond to your post in the topic with this part:
I wish comedy didn't get people so angry
I wish people didn't think that being on a stage with a mic gives you some elevated protection against mocking and dismissing specific victims of child rape and abuse, or that it's a valid means through which to espouse your garbage views of trans people.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

This is a good post

MonstaZero

Apr 9, 2018
What?

We have a thread to discuss the documentary itself which is where the topic was headed. I didn't even reference you in that prompt and had just been discussing the "MJ is innocent" nonsense with someone else entirely.

Then I did respond to your post in the topic with this part:

Do you believe that there are things that should be absolutely off limits to a comedian, if you do. What's the limit? Gay jokes, crack jokes, abortion jokes. When does it go from funny to offensive.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Do you believe that there are things that should be absolutely off limits to a comedian, if you do. What's the limit? Gay jokes, crack jokes, abortion jokes. When does it go from funny to offensive.
Most people understand there to be things that are off limits. I don't think a white comedian donning blackface to mock black people would be acceptable under the guise of "comedy" even if there's certainly still a crowd that would lap it up.

I mentioned two specific things in my post:
I think it's pretty clear what my stance is in that post, on the elements relevant to the program in question.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Most people understand there to be things that are off limits. I don't think a white comedian donning blackface to mock black people would be acceptable under the guise of "comedy" even if there's certainly still a crowd that would lap it up.

I mentioned two specific things in my post:

I think it's pretty clear what my stance is in that post, on the elements relevant to the program in question.

I believe Michael Jackson's accusers but I don't believe anything should be off limits when it comes to art. That said so many people end the conversation there and view it as a license to wield that right irresponsibly or as a crutch for lack of any actual comedic or artistic abilities. This whole 100% innocent nonsense is wacky and really muddies all the waters of cogent discourse.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I believe Michael Jackson's accusers but I don't believe anything should be off limits when it comes to art. That said so many people end the conversation there and view it as a license to wield that right irresponsibly or as a crutch for lack of any actual comedic or artistic abilities. This whole 100% innocent nonsense is wacky and really muddies all the waters of cogent discourse.
I don't think comedy inherently gets to be assigned "art" just because it's an attempt at comedy. Much the same way that people can't just spray-paint a swastika on the side of a shop and call it art. I agree with you outside of that though. Great comedy can be art but there's a distinction between that and someone using the fact they're on a stage and have a mic as a veil to espouse their trash views.

My calling out someone specifically for their nonsense in a routine doesn't warrant some "where will it end" extrapolation. It's pretty clear exactly what my issue is with, and it's common sense that there's lines in comedy even if it's given more tolerance than other areas.

Last edited:

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I don't think comedy gets to be assigned "art" just because it's an attempt at comedy. Much the same way that people can't just spray-paint a swastika on the side of a shop and call it art.

What Dave is doing IS art. This is a Chapelle founded thread. I don't agree with a lot of his premises recently and find this special to be especially weak in terms of comedic impact. I then ask myself "Was his output in terms of humor worth the boundaries he made the purposeful decision to play around with?" In the case of this special I don't think it was worth it and therefore I wouldn't recommend it.

An unsuccessful attempt at creating art doesn't make something not art. Your swastika example doesn't really work. Give me an example of someone putting a swastika on a shop and saying it was art. If you can we can discuss that artist and that piece. If said Artist exists I would have to examine their stated goals for such a fairly boring display. That is my opinion though. I agree with a lot of your premises as presented tonight and you made me consider a lot. I'm a victim of childhood abuse myself and I think about this topic a lot. I've been on many different sides throughout the years.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What Dave is doing IS art. This is a Chapelle founded thread. I don't agree with a lot of his premises recently and find this special to be especially weak in terms of comedic impact. I then ask myself "Was his output in terms of humor worth the boundaries he made the purposeful decision to play around with?" In the case of this special I don't think it was worth it and therefore I wouldn't recommend it.
I disagree. Just because someone is a comedian doesn't mean that whenever they're on-stage with a mic it's art regardless of the content of the piece. It doesn't mean they can state whatever they feel like within that environment and it unequivocally gets granted some layer of protection under it being 'art'.

An unsuccessful attempt at creating art doesn't make something not art.
This seems contradictory. If it's inherently art then it could never be unsuccessful. Unless we're discussing someone's interpretation of their own work against the reception of the audience. I get your wider point; art is subjective and thus any attempt is defined as it. However that definition doesn't afford it any protected status or elevation when it comes to being criticised and rebuked. Despite being at odds in places I do agree with shards of your sentiment and likewise enjoy the discussion.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Thought he might have turned a corner after his last specials as he seemed a bit more contemplative in those. Probably doesn't care though since Netflix already backed up the Brinks truck. He knows what buttons he's pushing as he would laugh at his his own jokes/crowds reaction when the joke was dumb or in poor taste.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
there are of course funny jokes to be made about the whole michael jackson debacle, but jokes at the expense of people who were raped as children and whose lives have been upended by that are not okay. chris rock knows how to make a good michael jackson joke.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol this thread brings em out. You'd think after all the bans people would stop going to bat for this guy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
NUERjkR.png

imagine doing this shit with zero self awareness

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, nothing should be restricted, but when straight cis men are making jokes about transgender people, victims of rape, or somesuch, they need to tread EXTREMELY carefully not to be hateful, homophobic/transphobic/misogynistic shitgibbons & morons. Chapelle unfortunately is always so, so he should definitely stay away from these topics because the only thing he can seemingly do is be an ass about it.

Art isn't beyond criticism and something isn't some kind of protected class from demands to treat people (especially the opressed) better just because it's art.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Interesting yet not surprising reaction here.

Is it really that hard to understand that this transphobic, bigoted, victim blaming material directly attacks many here on a personal level? Give your head a damn shake and try having some empathy for once in your life. So very tired of those that deem it necessary to dance in here and gloat about how funny they find this shit, just say what you really want to say.

Kalina76

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
What evidence is there of them lying.
The video of the court depostition, where they contradict what they claim in the documentary.
Which makes one of the statements a literal lie and I rather believe they lied in an HBO documentary, than in court under an oath of truth.

Edit: I believe MJ was a pedo btw, whether he acted it or not. It is embarrassing though that people are getting banned for questioning the objectivity of an hollywood documentary.

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it last night. Thought it was hilarious overall but some parts were a little disturbing. Can't get mad a Dave though. To me it's like getting mad at actors for playing dick role.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): dismissing transphobia
He's not playing a role, he's just transphobic. It's okay to get mad at someone for being transphobic, since it means they're a piece of shit.
Of course it's a role. Unless he's sharing these beliefs when not on a stage. I've never took stand up as anything but a show.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The video of the court depostition, where they contradict what they claim in the documentary.
Which makes one of the statements a literal lie and I rather believe they lied in an HBO documentary, than in court under an oath of truth.

Edit: I believe MJ was a pedo btw, whether he acted it or not. It is embarrassing though that people are getting banned for questioning the objectivity of an hollywood documentary.
You're not questioning the objectivity of a hollywood documentary. You're questioning the claims of two young men who claim they were raped. That's beyond fucked up, especially given the moronic "Well duh they lied about it years before!" defense.

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its a comedy show. He uses the mj "hot take" as a reference later in his bit. I don't know if you can get his true thoughts on the subject.

Kalina76

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
You're not questioning the objectivity of a hollywood documentary. You're questioning the claims of two young men who claim they were raped. That's beyond fucked up, especially given the moronic "Well duh they lied about it years before!" defense.
Don't call me a moron.
And I didn't say they lied years before you are in your "moronic defense".

Status
Not open for further replies.