• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Studio Profit Report 2019: Disney Reigns, Netflix Gains

Hollywood majors all made more money in 2019, but with streaming the pricey priority, THR's annual analysis of studio divisions shows that these investments have at some studios already impacted revenue trends.

While Hollywood has been debating if or how much the rise of streaming services and franchise fatigue is hurting the film business at home, studios' profits for 2019 showed little evidence of pain, rising across the board, in some cases to record levels.

Disney dominated theaters for much of 2019, making it a tough year for its peers at the box office. Overall, theatrical growth abroad — global box office revenue increased 2 percent amid a 4 percent international gain — helped soften the industry's blow of a 4 percent drop in North America. But at other studios, such as Paramount and Universal, increased revenue from content licensing, including to streaming platforms, and lower operating expenses helped lead the way in more than offsetting lower theatrical results.

8rep_page4-chart_w-embed_2020.jpg

Who will stop this Netflix monopoly? 😋

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I like that Netflix is competing with Hollywood now for films. Means more funding for risky ventures like The Irishman.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Disney could afford to pay their park employees a living wage.

Just kidding, SHAREHOLDER VALUE!

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I still think it's nuts to report Netflix as generating "profit" when they are cash negative and borrowed more than that entire profit.

Accounting rules allow you to do that to reflect investment, but it doesn't give a true reflection of performance in a graph like this.

(Also it's a bit odd to measure by 2019 when some studios financial year isn't calendar).

Oct 27, 2017
Damn! Netflix generates a ton of revenue.

Netflix having 30% or so more revenue than Disney is a surprise for sure. You'd think the $2,6 Billion in profit might change the minds of the people on here who are forever going on about Netflix being in dire straits financially, but somehow I don't thing there is anything that would.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix having 30% or so more revenue than Disney is a surprise for sure. You'd think the $2,6 Billion in profit might change the minds of the people on here who are forever going on about Netflix being in dire straits financially, but somehow I don't thing there is anything that would.

Because people think short term. Amazon was in the same position for a decade.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
They have to be basing Netflix's numbers on Netflix as a service because there's no way the stuff they produced as a studio did those numbers.

Reading the article it does appear this is the case and they admit it's not an apples to apples comparison.

In a first, the latest annual analysis includes a look at Netflix. The streaming giant's business and financials are, of course, not directly comparable to those of the studio units of entertainment conglomerates. For starters, its revenue comes from subscribers that studios don't have, even though other units of traditional studios' parent companies have launched or will soon launch their own streaming services.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They have to be basing Netflix's numbers on Netflix as a service because there's no way the stuff they produced as a studio did those numbers.

Reading the article it does appear this is the case and they admit it's not an apples to apples comparison.
Yeah, it's just the studio divisions vs. all of Netflix (which essentially means the Netflix subscriber revenue).

Still interesting.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney had a wild year.

Endgame did over 2 billion. The Lion King, Frozen II, The Rise of Skywalker, Toy Story 4, Captain Marvel, & Aladdin did over 1 billion.

A movie that was only a few hundred mil shy of 3 bil and 6 movies over a billion. INSANE.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the Spider-Man IP and Jumanji the only thing keeping Sony afloat?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I am currently thinking Disney doesn't have a film hit a billion this year. From 7 last year to 0 this year is quite possible.

I'm curious to see how Black Widow does both here and abroad. Once it releases, it'll have been a year since the last MCU flick and neither this nor The Eternals in November strikes me as locked-in mega-hit despite the power of the Marvel brand.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how Black Widow does both here and abroad. Once it releases, it'll have been a year since the last MCU flick and neither this nor The Eternals in November strikes me as locked-in mega-hit despite the power of the Marvel brand.
The impact from the coronavirus in the asian markets like China could really hurt Black Widow's overall max total I think.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was true for movies last year, but looking at the release slate this year, I don't think anything passing $1b is a sure thing, even if they did have China.
Maybe some domestic overperformer has the best of chances, Wonder Woman 1984 is ticking all the US 80's nostalgia boxes so far... We'll I guess.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I can totally see it. If Fast 9 stays flat from Fast 8 everywhere else but doesn't have China, it's struggling to pass $700m worldwide.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens when studios can't rely on China to "save" movies that tank domestically.

I wonder if any high profile movies will delay their worldwide release until the Chinese market is back to normal.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Sony, Universal, and Paramount need some hits STAT.

No wonder Sony want a strong hold on Spidey.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's nuts to report Netflix as generating "profit" when they are cash negative and borrowed more than that entire profit.

Accounting rules allow you to do that to reflect investment, but it doesn't give a true reflection of performance in a graph like this.

(Also it's a bit odd to measure by 2019 when some studios financial year isn't calendar).

They are generating a profit if what they're bringing in is more than what they're spending which is content+infrastructure+debt payments.

Would you also say that someone who has a mortgage and credit cards is making no money from their job because they are in debt?

Profit doesn't measure how much cash you have, it's how much you've spent vs how much you've earned.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Just looking at this data makes me think that Netflix acquiring Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer would be both affordable and smart. Netflix's only source of revenue is subscriptions and them merging with MGM Holdings provides Netflix with other secure revenue streams and more media assets.

Of course there is, but there's also not any sure things like Endgame this year.

The Eternals says hi.

It'll have been a year since the last MCU flick and neither Black Widow nor The Eternals in November strike me as locked-in mega-hit despite the power of the Marvel brand.

It's cute to see so many people underestimating the power of Eternals. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will hit a billion.