• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go that far.

Up close you definitely see a difference, but during actual gameplay yeah, the difference might not be immediately noticeable.
I'm just kidding, because this is what people said when SFV came out as one of the arguments against the game. And it was always baffling to me. SFIV looks in no way similar to SFV, to me.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
this reminds me about the alpha look of the game. man i wonder how the game would have been received if they had kept that look lol

1_alpha02.jpg
Jesus christ. That has to be a PS2 prototype or something

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm just kidding, because this is what people said when SFV came out as one of the arguments against the game. And it was always baffling to me. SFIV looks in no way similar to SFV, to me.

Them folks put Jett to work though. Had people saying the animations were exactly the same and he went and got fuck tons of gifs comparing the 2 games and people still were trying to argue otherwise.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried going back to play it but god damn did it look so damn ugly. The colour palate, the character models and everything in general sucks. I also really dislike the music it has.

Hopefully Rose and Hugo comes to SF5 so I can retire it forever.

My memory tricked me into thinking this but hell no. SFV looks a million times better (if you ignore Ken)
Even with Ken it looks miles better. It is only his character select screen that looks weird as hell.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
I'm guilty to say, I felt SFIV was fine for its time. Only because it was ages, at the time, that we were getting a new SF game. Now looking back, yeash did it certainly not age well in the art style and animations, which SFV certainly improved upon.

Though would be lying if I said "I never had a fun time playing the game itself."

Still I'll be honest, SFIII without a doubt is still the best-looking of the SF games; just a shame barring certain ASW games and Skullgirls, sprite-based fighters haven't been as prominent as they once were. Kind of like how it's pretty much a rarity to see more traditionally animated films widely released in theaters compared to CGI animated films.

Edit: Yup don't forget SFV had a better soundtrack than IV; was techno that big in 2008 by any chance?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Fighter 5 is still the best looking non sprite fighting game of that gen. Tekken Tag 2 comes close though.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. Looked great then and now. Nice animations, great colors, good character designs, fun backgrounds. Top notch job overall.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter 4 was *always* damn ugly

It's good to see more people realize this though

Of all the major fighting games released that gen (Tekken, VF, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, KoF, DoA) it was probably the ugliest, right?

I never thought MK9 and Injustice looked too hot tbh

I'd say Street Fighter vs Tekken was the ugliest.

I was actually gonna say the Tekken characters look great

Then I remembered SFxT Heihachi

maxresdefault.jpg

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see that most people think SFIV was ugly since day one, because it was... especially after how was Third Strike.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Sf4 was ugly to my eyes since day 1 ... the moment I got it I thought "can't wait for the next game... hopefully the Art style will be better" ..... well .... SF5 happened ... and the circle began again :(

I liked SF4 much more though ...

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the overall style and presentation of Street Fighter IV. The annoying energy from the announcer, the styling of the UI, the really weird cel-shading and modelling, it all felt like it was trying too hard to look cool. It's a good representation of 7th gen games in that way.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Even though it was ugly there's still something I really love about SFIV's goofy style. The big, gurning jaws in Shin Shoryuken stills, mouths falling agape and eyes widening when during the ultra freeze, Rufus' sloshing gut. It's all great. I did hate Ken's mullet though.

It's a shame that SFIV and V never did anything cool with the lighting in their stages. Most of them feel a bit flat. Hopefully with SF6 Capcom takes the time to add some polish (and content!) for launch.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't stand the art style for 4 and 5. At least 5 has gorgeous colours. The whole look turns me off completely.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NO... the game always looked like shit. We were just willing to look past it cause we hadn't seen a new Street Fighter in a long time.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I never could stand the visual style of SFIV, or any of the cheesy artistic flair used throughout. Gameplay might be quite fun but it's just not appealing to me to watch and listen to. Still at this point the game is quite old and it did quite well all things considered, but that's not the 3D approach I wanted them to take after 3rd Strike

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone needs to wash their eyes from what they've seen in this thread so far. I sure as hell needed to.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I reject the premise of this thread. SF4 looks great when it came out. It was gorgeous playing on a proper arcade machine as well. Things have gotten better since then yes.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
SF4 was uglier than SF3, but had amazing animation, particularly facial expressions.

Good looking Street Fighters by today's standards are:

SF Alpha series, SF3 series, SFV.

That's it. SF1,SF2, SF the movie, SF EX series, and SF4 are all ugly by today's standards ( tho SF2 has that nostalgia effect going on for it, so people may disagree. )

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather look at Alpha or any of the SF3s than 4 or 5. SF4 was butt ugly to me the first time I rented that shit from blockbuster but I don't remember thinking Ex3 was that bad when I first played it.