• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I haven't touched nor looked at footage of SFIV since V came out, and out of curiosity a few days ago I checked how well it held up... yikes. Mind you, this is the PS4 remaster so it looked even worse on last gen consoles:

I remembered thinking "wow, this looks just like anime!!!!" when it originally came out, and also thinking that stylized graphics couldn't get any better than that. Jesus fuck what the hell was I thinking, although in my defense the Focus Attacks still look super cool and I wish V had something like that, and the announcer is still a million times more hype than the boring narrator of Street Fighter V.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I always thought it looked great back in the X360 days. I even took my Xbox to a cousin's house to boot up this game on his 50'' TV. That opening rocked!

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter 4 has always been ugly, from day one to... well, today.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I get why they went with 3D renders because overall there's a lot less work for animation once you've got the rigging, etc. taken care of, but it does not look good, let alone anywhere near the level of quality of the last several games in the series

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
To be honest the animation was superb for its time but I never like how chunky it made everyone look. Even Fei Long looks all swole as fuck in SFIV

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I think it looks cool. Ikeno anatomy is weird in 3D but I like the game even today.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
safe for her monster neck, ibuki looked pretty good in 4. actually prefer her 4 look over her 5 one. dat neck tho

maxresdefault.jpg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
safe for her monster neck, ibuki looked pretty good in 4. actually prefer her 4 look over her 5 one. dat neck tho
It's pretty obvious which characters were made at launch compared to later down the road. You can legit see the improvement in their modeling skills.

But yeah, SFIV aged like milk. And it didn't look great to begin with.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
They got better at character models as time went on, but yeah that first batch of characters look rough. Most of the stages had poor lighting as well.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm a lifelong Street Fighter fan and I didn't buy SFIV for like a month because I was so put off by how it looked in stills.

It wasn't until I saw the animations and the gameplay in person that I got over it.

It's ugly, and it always has been.

THAT SAID: I think it holds up compared to other games that came out in 2008. I mean, go back and play Grand Theft Auto IV, which was a stunner at the time. I think SFIV looks better in motion.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I liked the inkbrush effects on some of the attacks at least. That's the nicest thing I can think of saying about it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks as butt fucking ugly as I remember it being.

SFV is nicer, but not by much for me.

kurisub

Oct 27, 2017
The fighters themselves weren't anything to write home about, but I love all the personality in some of those backgrounds, especially the African stage with those damn goofy hippos and the eclipse going on between rounds.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
A lot of people want the next game to depart from the general style of IV and V, but I personally want Capcom to keep going in that direction. I want to see them get close to the Arcade Edition intro image quality (uncanny facial animations aside):

The style is distinct and still has room for improvement. Get away from the painterly effects and clay textures, but keep pushing toward that anime Pixar vibe.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Of all the major fighting games released that gen (Tekken, VF, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, KoF, DoA) it was probably the ugliest, right?
To be honest the animation was superb for its time but I never like how chunky it made everyone look. Even Fei Long looks all swole as fuck in SFIV
Here's a pretty good description (half way down) of SF IV's animation. It's not too kind. VF came out 2 years earlier and had much better animation.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
They got better at character models as time went on, but yeah that first batch of characters look rough. Most of the stages had poor lighting as well.

Yeah, the difference between the first batch of characters and the later ones is night and day (Shoutouts to the Tekken characters in SFxT, they were pretty good). The animations also got better, you look at characters like Akuma and it's obvious he was one of the first made, he has some NRS tier animations, namely his HK looks like crap and his victory animation is so incredibly awkward, not to mention the LOLcopter.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea I don't think they had hopes for the game at first and put as little effort as possible at first. If it wasn't for Ono pulling legs, it would not have even been made.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this reminds me about the alpha look of the game. man i wonder how the game would have been received if they had kept that look lol

1_alpha02.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people want the next game to depart from the general style of IV and V, but I personally want Capcom to keep going in that direction. I want to see them get close to the Arcade Edition intro image quality (uncanny facial animations aside):

The style is distinct and still has room for improvement. Get away from the painterly effects and clay textures, but keep pushing toward that anime Pixar vibe.

It's been a while since I've seen this video. Really, Kage was teased as the next character right there.

I remember the excitement behind all of that. It's a shame they haven't been able to quite match it since.