• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Hard disagree there, especially when you have the likes of Guile & Ryu looking the way that they do. Plus you have Sakura still wearing a high school uniform after god-knows-how-long.

I mean to be fair, Sakura didn't graduate not long before the events SFV. And from supplemental material (albeit probably non-canon), she wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed in school.

Still I find it commendable and a breath of fresh air that most of the characters got new designs in SFV.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think most games looked good or at least acceptable for their time. Even Uncharted 2 and 3 on PS3 look rough and simplistic today

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
They did my girl Cammy wrong in 4.
1411180383480785731.jpg

tNS2Kxp.gif

Compared to this excellence in 5.
vlsW00P.gif

ilozwKL.gif

tumblr_ns3irkvceY1tlc1q4o1_250.gif

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
There are nice graphical touches to both 4 and 5, but they're both visually inconsistent in ways that won't make them age well. Cap's best looking fighter in recent memory is MvC3.

14_phoenix03.jpg

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good for an 11 year old game outside of the cramped UI built to compensate for overscan.

V looks way better but the less polished bits really bother me.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
SF4 was a tragic step down from the style and presentation of both the 3 and Alpha series. They made Ryu and Ken into gorillas, Chun-Li had some grotesque crab claw hand until they changed it, everyone has some sinewy gross look to their flesh, Rose has a square chin, and the music sucks. It can look alright in stills, but once the stilted animations come to play it's pretty bad. When people were saying that SF5 looked like SF4 you could tell that they either didn't play much of 4, or didn't look at much of 5.

And just look at Cody's bare arms. LOOK AT IT

fTJMcRE.png

what the FUCK

SF4 was a game I knew looked ugly at the time, this wasn't some realization I came to in retrospect, but SF5 is one that I actually think looks pretty nice for the most part, especially in animations (cue a comparison to Ryu's SF4 sweep to his SF5 sweep). It's the best Street Fighter's ever looked polygonally.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think it looked ok when the console versions arrived, some characters design and body proportion were awful tho.

The Arcade Beta looked even worse, Ryu with blue eyes and that weird face:

street-fighter-iv-3.jpg

compared to the final product...

maxresdefault.jpg

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The PS4 version isn't really a remaster, it looks as bad as it always has, i dunno what Capcom was thinking with that art style even back in 2008.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought SF4 looked pretty decent at the time of release, all things considered. It could've easily been much worse as seen by the beta pictures/videos. I guess there wasn't much to compare it to in the 2.5D space, rr maybe I was just excited to get a new Street Fighter.

It has aged like moldy cheese though.

SF2 HD Remix is how the franchise should look. SFIV & V are ugly as shit.

super-street-fighter-2-turbo-hd-remix-ps3-lgames-D_NQ_NP_761532-MLA25583082095_052017-F.jpg

lol

Last edited:

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know gamers are easily fooled by presentation, but it always baffles me how people find SFV good looking. Everything looks plastic in that game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am kind of fond of the style, but I always found it to be weirdly experimental and too chunky. Those CG cinematics were some of the coolest I have ever seen.

That said! I am a huge, huge fan of how Street Fighter V looks outside of the hair. The colors in that game seriously just pop in a way I have never seen in other games, I love how psycho power glow looks especially.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I thought SF4 looked pretty decent at the time of release, all things considered. It could've easily been much worse as seen by the beta pictures/videos. I guess there wasn't much to compare it to in the 2.5D space, rr maybe I was just excited to get a new Street Fighter.

It has aged like moldy cheese though.

super-street-fighter-2-turbo-hd-remix-ps3-lgames-D_NQ_NP_761532-MLA25583082095_052017-F.jpg

lol
I meant these kind of aesthetics with a modern engine/toon shading. Kind of like how DBFZ was the perfect 3D incarnation of the animated series.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I am kind of fond of the style, but I always found it to be weirdly experimental and too chunky. Those CG cinematics were some of the coolest I have ever seen.
Capcom had some really nice CGI models that they used for SFIV and SFxT promo materials. Shame a lot of the in-game models couldn't capture the same feel.
K1ecHZS.jpg

Ryu and Ken actually look Ryu and Ken here.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Disagree. It's fine to look at. The color palette goes a long way. It's nice and varied. It also looks a lot better in motion than screenshots.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I meant these kind of aesthetics with a modern engine/toon shading. Kind of like how DBFZ was the perfect 3D incarnation of the animated series.
Those Udon-tier asthetics are hideous.

In what universe do those two ugly-ass sprites look better than the character designs in SFV?

VIQe9t4.jpg

LazzSrC.jpg

PeIc2PL.png

6JYy3IL.png

3LtvZen.jpg

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those Udon-tier asthetics are hideous.

In what universe do those two ugly-ass sprites look better than the character designs in SFV?

VIQe9t4.jpg

LazzSrC.jpg

PeIc2PL.png

6JYy3IL.png

3LtvZen.jpg

Yeah, 5 really does look good. Still wish it looked more 'anime', but you can't deny that they knocked it out of the park with those characters and animations.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Both 4 and 5 are among the ugliest AAA games I can think of. I hope they at least change the art style for next SF game.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, 5 really does look good. Still wish it looked more 'anime', but you can't deny that they knocked it out of the park with those characters and animations.

I wouldn't mind seeing a more anime approach, as long as it still looks like a SF game. Basically I don't think Ken should look like Ky from the Guilty Gear games. The only thing I want them to stay away from is realistic faces and proportions. It doesn't fit the series and IMO it makes doing superhuman stuff really weird and goofy which you see in other games.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely wasn't the prettiest game. Still best fighting game in the last decade though.

Really look forward to seeing what resurgent god mode Capcom will be able to do with the next SF game

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think most games from that era are starting to look really ugly. SFIV seemed fine when it came out but not anymore.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan