• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It looks just as I remember it, which is to say fine. Not ugly like MvC Infinite or NRS games but obviously not like fucking Guilty Gear Xrd or anything.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I can't believe we've gotten by and gotten away with for years as a community loudly proclaiming SF IV looks as good/better than SFV. That's like brainwashed high hyperbole.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm a simple man. If I had my 3 genie wishes, I would go with:

- No NPC's doing random "funny" shit in the background, let them act like humans again as it was in previous titles. But let's be honest, as long as Ono is in charge of SF, I don't think it will ever go away, he seems to really enjoy that stupidity.

- I'm done with this Super Muscle Fighter shtick, make them a bit leaner please. Say what you want about the steroid versions of Ralf and Clark in KOF XIII, but at least that game had a ton of different body types to keep things interesting.

- Let's try that Street Fighter Alpha anime aesthetic once again. It's been more than 20 years since Alpha 3, plus I've never heard of people actively hating on that style.

And if the genie is feeling particularly generous, here's a 4th wish: PLEASE make Ken beautiful again goddammit! I am all for fugly characters in fighting games, they are usually a lot of fun, but Ken is supposed to be the prettiest dude. Stick to canon Capcom.

Regarding the topic, SFIV has aged like fine milk, I think that's not up for discussion, and it was never great milk even when it got released. SFV far surpassed it when it comes to animation (except Falke, it feels like the DMC2 team was left in charge of her moves), it's simply beautiful to watch, the art style is the thing that brings it down several notches, despite still being a huge improvement on that level compared to IV.

Last edited:

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
From someone on the outside of FGC; SFIV never looked great. Some cool models and decent faces here and there, but that artstyle is generally ugly as sin, I'm sorry. I was surprised when so many people said SFV looked the same or even worse, but I personally think it blows IV's artstyle out of the water (except for Ken).

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
SFIV is like a cartoon. It's still alright in motion, but I'm stills it really is terrible. SFV is overall way better, and has gorgeous animations.

KOFXIII on last gen is still the best looking fighter to me though. Or Tekken Tag 2? The fact Tekken Tag 2 still doesn't have a modern port is actually blasphemous, honestly - it should've been launch window!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well I won't argue that SFV looks better on a technical and artstyle level but on a subjective-level I think that the stages and the menu design of SFIV feel alot more "cozy" and lighthearted which makes me prefer SFIV more than SFV when purely distilled down to this point.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
and for that matter

D0zXqTT.png

a7zp5qG.png

8Bublwq.png

not sure why you chose tekken

the rendering is miles ahead of SF5

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, you are comparing a 2019 game with a custom engine made by NRS and backed by WB with a 3 years old SF V game on stock UE4.

Of course a game with bigger budget and better tech looks better than SF V.

"Not sure why you chose Tekken"
Tekken 7 is a 2017 game and looks worse than SF V.
MK 10 also looks worse than SFV
Soul Calibur 6 as well.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought this game looked bad, even back in 2009 when I bought vanilla SF4 without knowing a thing about SF.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, you are comparing a 2019 game with a custom engine made by NRS and backed by WB with a 3 years old SF V game on UE4.

Previous MKs already looked better too. Hell even killer instinct on xbox one looked better. Cherry picking one of the few games that looks worse(tekken) is whats trolling. And its not a custom engine, its modified UE3. It cements my original post in this thread. The gap between the best looking fighting game this gen and SF5 is far bigger than the gal between the best looking fighting game last gen and SF4. SF5 looks worse compared to the times than SF4 did.

Edit - just saw that apparently tekken is a 2015 arcade game. Ya im the one whos trolling tho. Arcade games are about as low budget as it gets these days outside of indies

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
- No NPC's doing random "funny" shit in the background, let them act like humans again as it was in previous titles. But let's be honest, as long as Ono is in charge of SF, I don't think it will ever go away, he seems to really enjoy that stupidity.
Yep. Goes for in game too, looney tunes eyes popping out cheesy shit.

I'm done with this Super Muscle Fighter shtick, make them a bit leaner please. Say what you want about the steroid versions of Ralf and Clark in KOF XIII, but at least that game had a ton of different body types to keep things interesting.
Preach. Every character is now fuckin Zangief. Ken is Zangief+bananas.

Oct 26, 2017
Previous MKs already looked better too. Hell even killer instinct on xbox one looked better. Cherry picking one of the few games that looks worse(tekken) is whats trolling. And its not a custom engine, its modified UE3. It cements my original post in this thread. The gap between the best looking fighting game this gen and SF5 is far bigger than the gal between the best looking fighting game last gen and SF4. SF5 looks worse compared to the times than SF4 did

MK 11 uses a heavily modified version of UE3, it has nearly nothing of the OG UE3 code.

Are you saying that MK9/MK10 are better looking than SFV? LMAO
Yes you are trolling.

The closest thing to SF V is Tekken 7, there's no cherrypicking, comparing SF with MK it's cherrypicking, 2016 vs 2019 games, two different engines, two different budgets and focus.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, it is. But back when in the day, SFIV looked amazing in my eyes. It was the first fighting game for next- gen i ever played. I remember runing it with my GTS 250 at 720p and i truly was impressed

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Never liked screenshots of it, but it's beautiful in motion.
Also, those sweet sweet arcade speed loading screens were awsome.

SFV loading times suck big time.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
honestly i always thought it looked like shit. the painted texture treatment and horrible proportions and bug eyed characters just never looked very nice to me. V is aesthetically much nicer even if you take away the technical improvements.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
MK 11 uses a heavily modified version of UE3, it has nearly nothing of the OG UE3 code.

Are you saying that MK9/MK10 are better looking than SFV? LMAO
Yes you are trolling.

The closest thing to SF V is Tekken 7, there's no cherrypicking, comparing SF with MK it's cherrypicking, 2016 vs 2019 games, two different engines, two different budgets and focus.

Since mortal kombat 9 is from the previous gen, im quite obviously not talking about that one. Mortal kombat 10 is absolutely superior to SF5. The focus is exactly the same. A 60 fps 2d fighting game. Whether or not they use the same engine is absolutely irrelevant.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Since mortal kombat 9 is from the previous gen, im quite obviously not talking about that one. Mortal kombat 10 is absolutely superior to SF5. The focus is exactly the same. A 60 fps 2d fighting game. Whether or not they use the same engine is absolutely irrelevant.
MK10 doesn't look better than SFV in any way other than the facial animations lol

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, you are comparing a 2019 game with a custom engine made by NRS and backed by WB with a 3 years old SF V game on stock UE4.

MK 10 also looks worse than SFV
Soul Calibur 6 as well.
Injustice 2 is a 2017 game and it looks miles better than SFV

Oct 26, 2017
Injustice 2 is a 2017 game and it looks miles better than SFV

Read again

Of course a game with bigger budget and better tech looks better than SF V

Comparing any WB/NRS game with any japanese fighting game makes no sense, MK and IJ budget is way above SF V and Tekken 7, of course MK 11 and IJ2 look better than SF V that's not even a contest. People are comparing Tekken 7 with SF V because it's the closest fighting game in tech, budget and release timeframe.

MK11 looks better than a lot of AAA games out there, not only fighting games.

Yep. In before something something different engine, something something different focus

You are showing your ignorance at every post, congrats, after your "MK 10 looks better SF V" i won't bother anymore.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's hideous or anything but it's definitely dated. The other presentation elements (music/menus/art) and busy-yet-readable backrounds made the overall package a lot better. Without any of that I'm sure the game wouldn't have the crazy impact it did.

this reminds me about the alpha look of the game. man i wonder how the game would have been received if they had kept that look lol
LOL now this is hideous

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
I remenber when news and images of the game came up, me and my SF friends all though that the visuals and characters modeling were so bad, with everyone looking like gorillas, we just hated it.
But then we saw the pre-launch tournaments with Daigo and others and the gameplay sold it on us.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
IJ2 was many things, but it was not colourless.

Hell, it was the first game since... ever that an NRS game actually had vibrant colours. And MK11 continued that trend.
Compared to the first game, I agree but even then it was really muted and bland. It had more colour but the art direction wasn't that much better.

MK11 improved on this a lot. Visually it looks stunning and much better to look at.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MKX is ugly as hell, sorry, especially in motion. IJ2 and MK11 have SFV beat in the tech department. Or at least in the "look how photorealistic it looks" department. My point is I refute the notion that SFV looks oh so many "miles" behind the competition, or that it's behind other fighters relative to SF4's time. How convenient that a certain poster keeps ignoring me bringing up VF5, a game that not only destroyed SF4, it came out two years earlier than their respective arcade releases, and that still has better animation than current 3D fighters. Speaking of, gameplay animation in SFV is still much better than any NRS game, I'm not even gonna bother posting an assortment of gifs, this is common knowledge at this point.

IJ2 was many things, but it was not colourless.

Hell, it was the first game since... ever that an NRS game actually had vibrant colours. And MK11 continued that trend.
No doubt they're more colorful than they used to be, but they still aren't that colorful. These are some of the pictures icecold1983 posted

I9hMqBU.jpg

XKCaOMq.jpg

Ma26gPo.jpg

Still has a grimy and grim, desaturated color palette, trying to be all cinematic and shit. SFV's colors pops out of the screen.

JdRJZbb.jpg

AlDN7ya.png

ic1LsSy.jpg

- I'm done with this Super Muscle Fighter shtick, make them a bit leaner please. Say what you want about the steroid versions of Ralf and Clark in KOF XIII, but at least that game had a ton of different body types to keep things interesting.

- Let's try that Street Fighter Alpha anime aesthetic once again. It's been more than 20 years since Alpha 3, plus I've never heard of people actively hating on that style.

I think it might also been 20 years since you looked at Alpha 3. Characters in SF have always been muscled the hell up.

ken_ryustance.jpg

mbisonwin.gif
latest
Blanka.gif
latest

Bison, Blanka and Sagat are actually leaner in SFV than they used to be.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing SF IV these past few days, and I really like the way it looks, personally. The stages are kind of ugly, but so are V's stages.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved the way SF4 looked at the time, in an early 360/PS3 era time period dominated by piss filters and grit, SF4 was a firework going off in the crayola factory.
It's definitely aged a fair bit now, I can't fully understand complaints about current SFV Ken when we're coming from jacked up Owen Wilson in SF4 but oh well.

SF4 stages though, well they always were a bit shit, pudgy underpass kid is just too much.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The last two NRS games have lead the genre in facial photorealism and animation. Their stages have also had more depth and detail than other fighting games.

MK11 and INJ2 still don't look better than SFV tho.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to ignore Ken if you stop memeing for a second and look at what he looks like in SFIV. Pure garbage.
Honestly, Ken doesn't look that bad. His banana hair isn't that good looking but it is nothing offensive. His problem is the character select animation which looks weird. In game he looks more than fine.

There are some other characters that have weird animations like recently with Poison's win animation but overall every character looks great. Aside from FANG, fuck FANG.