• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really want a Street Fighter game that adheres closer to the animated movie's style. Characters were muscular, but not BULGING. Their proportions were more realistic. And, dang, with modern cell-shading, some of these scenes could really be brought to life...
0d2f2e25384393037370749e50b9a82c.gif

tumblr_n0bm9yVLB01rr56cmo1_500.gif

KZTIdFf.gif

... I still frigginn' love this movie so much, so I admit I'm biased.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really want a Street Fighter game that adheres closer to the animated movie's style. Characters were muscular, but not BULGING. Their proportions were more realistic. And, dang, with modern cell-shading, some of these scenes could really be brought to life...

KZTIdFf.gif

PypufpY.gif

p.s. Ryu and Guile are clearly massive in your gifs.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

KZTIdFf.gif

IMO their best incarnations.

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing only like 2 or 3 SF5 backgrounds animate at 30fps, then.

There are over 20 stages in the game now. Probably close to 30?

Some of ya'll need new material.
When those stages are the ones included with the vanilla version of the game then i cant help but ding it for being that way. It's what it is, ridiculous and never been fixed.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When those stages are the ones included with the vanilla version of the game then i cant help but ding it for being that way. It's what it is, ridiculous and never been fixed.

I mean...you could, but you, like so many other people can't seem to get over and acknowledge content that has been added in the 3.5 years since SF5 released. Just stuck talking about SF5 as it was at launch, even though there are more stages than SF4 had at the end of its life, and only a few of those run at 30fps.

Yeah, it sucks those stages still have background elements like that, but even if you never choose those stages, you still have more available to you than you did for SF4, and almost all of them are better than the tripe stages we had in that game.

Simply put, you made a silly statement.

Also, I can't see that SF2 animated movie scene without saying, "Wooga wooga wooga."

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I knew the SFV hate hit absurdist meme levels when there were people sincerely trying to make the case that SFIV looked/animated better. Gamers can get so delusional over this stuff.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
SFIV is very ugly yes, I knew it from the first time I laid eyes on it 10 years ago (I bought it anyway cause it was basically the revitalization of fighting games in the states).

Oh and SFV looks miles better than SFIV, y'all saying they look the same on something strong.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they have to be so obsessed with this obnoxious overly goofy and grotesque style, there's plenty of room to make the games look cartoony/not-too-much-anime but also cool.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I LOVE how SF5 looks, and while I wish it was a bit more refined (I still think certain faces and just about EVERYONE's teeth look disturbing. It's almost like the teeth are giving off light) I hope SF6 continues to go in that direction.

The only people I've seen who really dislike how SF5 look mostly just want anime fighters, and have anime avatars and think anime looks better than everything, which I disagree with. SF5 still looks gorgeous and is a great upgrade from SF4. SF4 looked rough and very Unreal Engine, but the visuals were still sort of charming.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE how SF5 looks, and while I wish it was a bit more refined (I still think certain faces and just about EVERYONE's teeth look disturbing. It's almost like the teeth are giving off light) I hope SF6 continues to go in that direction.

The only people I've seen who really dislike how SF5 look mostly just want anime fighters, and have anime avatars and think anime looks better than everything, which I disagree with. SF5 still looks gorgeous and is a great upgrade from SF4. SF4 looked rough and very Unreal Engine, but the visuals were still sort of charming.

I mean...SF is hella anime. It's just like late 80s early 90s anime, which, you know...is when it came out. lol

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Now compare SF IV to any of the SF EX games.
By all rights it IS an EX game.

Outsourced, 3D graphics, based primarily on SFII nostalgia, with SNK knockoff characters added.

Except that EX1 and 2 were actually good and decent looking for their day.

Maybe one day we'll get a true follow up to SF3 instead of the Dimps shit.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Street fighter 4 is ugly. Remember when they showed sf5, and it was beautiful.... And hella people said it looked identical to sf4.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hm, I always liked how Street Fighter 4 looked. Loved the goofy faces when getting hit. Thought it was inspired by SF2, like when characters throw up, or their eyes coming out etc.

And Street Fighter 5 looks just beautiful visually.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of SF5's art style either. I hope they go in an entirely new direction next time.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
MKX is ugly as hell, sorry, especially in motion. IJ2 and MK11 have SFV beat in the tech department. Or at least in the "look how photorealistic it looks" department. My point is I refute the notion that SFV looks oh so many "miles" behind the competition, or that it's behind other fighters relative to SF4's time. How convenient that a certain poster keeps ignoring me bringing up VF5, a game that not only destroyed SF4, it came out two years earlier than their respective arcade releases, and that still has better animation than current 3D fighters. Speaking of, gameplay animation in SFV is still much better than any NRS game, I'm not even gonna bother posting an assortment of gifs, this is common knowledge at this point.

No doubt they're more colorful than they used to be, but they still aren't that colorful. These are some of the pictures icecold1983 posted

I9hMqBU.jpg

XKCaOMq.jpg

Ma26gPo.jpg

Still has a grimy and grim, desaturated color palette, trying to be all cinematic and shit. SFV's colors pops out of the screen.

Your post really made me realize how much I've soured on the NetherRealms aesthetic over the years. It's "realistic" and technically more impressive but none of their games have aged well. MK11 is the first game that I've seen that I think won't age badly, and that's mainly because they finally got the facial animations right. I still don't understand how they can make mocap body animations look unnatural, but I've accepted that it's probably intentional.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I think it might also been 20 years since you looked at Alpha 3. Characters in SF have always been muscled the hell up.

ken_ryustance.jpg

mbisonwin.gif
latest
Blanka.gif
latest

Bison, Blanka and Sagat are actually leaner in SFV than they used to be.
I never said I wanted the muscle part of the Alpha games to return, just the general aesthetic of the series. But even keeping that in mind, my problem isn't that the characters are muscular... My issue is that they all look like the Stay Puff Marshmellow and look like they could explode at any second. I mean, you don't need to go much further than to look at the official art that another user posted above to identify the a dangerously swollen Ryu with a shrunken head.

I am in full agreement with the person who suggested emulating the style of the animated movie, I think it strikes a great balance between being a bit more anime (thus staying true to SF origins), but not too much, while everyone keeps normal body proportions. Case in point, let's appreciate Cammy for a second:

tumblr_n3xovoLRzF1r72ht7o1_r1_500.gif

F47D45D06C7B4FC6D9B045D11A018EE29577AFF6

I figure that in this case, less is definitely more. But I think another reason why everyone focuses so much on the muscles is likely because they have such strong outlines around them, as a result of the developers trying to go for that cartoonish look. I imagine that a change in the art direction, even while keeping the same 3D models, could be enough to give the game a different look.

In short, more of this:
ryu.jpg
XSFRyu.png
And less of this:
01.jpg
sf4h_03.jpg

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
MKX is ugly as hell, sorry, especially in motion. IJ2 and MK11 have SFV beat in the tech department. Or at least in the "look how photorealistic it looks" department. My point is I refute the notion that SFV looks oh so many "miles" behind the competition, or that it's behind other fighters relative to SF4's time. How convenient that a certain poster keeps ignoring me bringing up VF5, a game that not only destroyed SF4, it came out two years earlier than their respective arcade releases, and that still has better animation than current 3D fighters. Speaking of, gameplay animation in SFV is still much better than any NRS game, I'm not even gonna bother posting an assortment of gifs, this is common knowledge at this point.

Didnt ignore anything. The gap between VF5 and SF4 is not nearly as big as the gap between MK11 and SF5

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost all the Males in SFV look like they came straight out of Gears of War.

Also VF5 stil has some of the best animations in the business to this day. Makes me wonder what they could do with modern tech for VF6. The only downside to the VF series is that the majority of their hit SFX is not to my liking.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Both 4 and 5 are among the ugliest AAA games I can think of. I hope they at least change the art style for next SF game.

4 and V both look like shit, they did when they launched and they do now.
I think SFV's Enlighten GI solution punches way above its weight. The quality of the self shading is pretty damn impressive for a fighting game. I can't think of any glaring graphical flaws in SFV so it's clearly a matter of subjective taste.

Oct 26, 2017
I think SFV's Enlighten GI solution punches way above its weight. The quality of the self shading is pretty damn impressive for a fighting game. I can't think of any glaring graphical flaws in SFV so it's clearly a matter of subjective taste.

It is a graphical flaw in of itself, compared to any other fighter at EVO it looks like a bucket of hot piss.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Since mortal kombat 9 is from the previous gen, im quite obviously not talking about that one. Mortal kombat 10 is absolutely superior to SF5. The focus is exactly the same. A 60 fps 2d fighting game. Whether or not they use the same engine is absolutely irrelevant.

MKX looks WAY worse than SFV. Especially when you compare both games in motion. You are on that good shit, my man.

SF2 HD Remix is how the franchise should look. SFIV & V are ugly as shit.

I feel like this has to be a joke post as you chose the only Street Fighter game that looks worse than IV.

Oct 31, 2017
SF4 was all time ugly in the art department with some of the worst character models
I'll call it complete bullshit.
BUT!
I can see where this comes from. I remember my first impression with the early gameplay footage being the complete opposite of flattering.
Then it grew on me a lot while playing it more and more. While bizarre, the art style was wonderfully realized and all the characters and their collisions looked impressive in motion, with a lot of very well executed sense of "plasticity" from their models.

Still, when compared to SFV now, it looks as its rudimentary prototype.

Never had particular appreciation for the scenery, on the other hand.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SFV looks like how I remember SFIV looking.

I think this is the case with a lot of people who say stuff like, "It looks like a ps2/ps3/xbox/snes/genesis game."

Also, posting art from various artists in their styles kind of ignores how they all look in game. Bengus drew a thinner Ryu for some of the promo art for Alpha, but ingame, he's still beefy as fuck.