• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dont need to. I didnt say SF4 is comparable to VF5
Nice! Hit em with the unblockable.
Damn gonna have to mix him up and go back to when he said Mortal Kombat X looked better than SFV.

mortal_kombat_x_sonya_blade_major_2_by_kebzuref_d9xf9k2-pre.jpg

TlEc3VP.png

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
SF5
MKX

SF5 doesnt have real shadows on anything other than the fighters, the lighting is pathetically simple, the backgrounds are previous gen quality, the textures are pitifully low resolution, rudimentary particles etc. there are virtually no modern rendering features anywhere in the game.

MKX has higher poly counts, far more detailed backgrounds, more advanced particles, reflections, actual light and shadows, better textures, better shading all around etc

screenshot-feb2016-dhalsim-story.jpg

like the rendering in this is so comically bad its laughable. it could actually pass as a photoshopped image created to purposefully troll SF5 but no, thats just how awful the rendering is

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SF5
MKX

SF5 doesnt have real shadows on anything other than the fighters, the lighting is pathetically simple, the backgrounds are previous gen quality, the textures are pitifully low resolution, rudimentary particles etc. there are virtually no modern rendering features anywhere in the game.

MKX has higher poly counts, far more detailed backgrounds, more advanced particles, reflections, actual light and shadows, better textures, better shading all around etc
And yet MKX produced something like this.
maxresdefault.jpg

Even SFV Ken isn't that bad.

Who cares about rendering when the artstyle and animations suck complete ass.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It is a graphical flaw in of itself, compared to any other fighter at EVO it looks like a bucket of hot piss.
You're welcome to your opinion but it doesn't look any worse than any other current gen fighter IMO. It looks clean and subtly stylized, and it animates well. The materials are physically based so it doesn't look like everything is covered in grease.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I hope that Capcom keeps the SF V character models for SF VI & just tweak them a bit, especially as they look much better than SF IV's.

There's no reason for Capcom to scrap them, completely start over & waste more money. They look as good as they are, IMO, & can easily have a big roster from the start, depending on what kind of characters that they choose to bring back.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope that Capcom keeps the SF V character models for SF VI & just tweak them a bit, especially as they look much better than SF IV's.

There's no reason for Capcom to scrap them, completely start over & waste more money. They look as good as they are, IMO, & can easily have a big roster from the start, depending on what kind of characters that they choose to bring back.
Capcom typically starts from scratch for each numbered Street Fighter game, so I wouldn't expect SFV's assets to be reused. And while the animations are probably gonna age well, the same can't be said for the models (they'll probably age better than SFIV's models, but that's not saying much).

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Capcom typically starts from scratch for each numbered Street Fighter game, so I wouldn't expect SFV's assets to be reused. And while the animations are probably gonna age well, the same can't be said for the models (they'll probably age better than SFIV's models, but that's not saying much).

I would rather they at least keep the skeletons and the animations at the very least.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully they do re-use some of it, especially the animations. Before animations were tied directly to the asset (sprite) but now since they're decoupled due to model/animation they can still reboot the series but not throw away all the previous work.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully they do re-use some of it, especially the animations. Before animations were tied directly to the asset (sprite) but now since they're decoupled due to model/animation they can still reboot the series but not throw away all the previous work.
That was also the case for SFIV, but Capcom still chose to scrap everything going into SFV (even the animations which, while not SFV levels of great, were still decent for the most part).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are fucking videos detailing the garbage animation in those games for fuck's sake
Ah, you got me there man, videos! Videos analyzing old NRS titles and critiquing the most inconsequential details of a complicated animation system. Irrefutable, concrete proof that NRS games are hideous and animate terribly all captured and uploaded to the worldwide web!

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Ah, you got me there man, videos! Videos analyzing old NRS titles and crtiquing the most inconsequential details of a complicated animation system. Irrefutable, concrete proof that NRS games are hideous and animate terribly all captured and uploaded to the worldwide web!

I mean, if you like how those games animate (like Flash doing the Carlton dance in Injustice 2 for his idol animation) then more power to you but whatever

People complained about netherrealm faces and when they fixed them they got praise

turns out there wasn't some conspiracy theory against netherrealm and they actually did have problems

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, you got me there man, videos! Videos analyzing old NRS titles and crtiquing the most inconsequential details of a complicated animation system. Irrefutable, concrete proof that NRS games are hideous and animate terribly all captured and uploaded to the worldwide web!
definitely better than saying,

ThEy aNimAtE FiNe

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We can expect to have Street Fighter be an Unreal Engine series from now on so they're not exactly starting completely over again.

And SFV has made as much money as SFIV so I mean they CAN afford to make new models if they want. Maybe make the hair look decent this time.

Why are you defending MK's ugly animations this hard?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I mean, if you like how those games animate (like Flash doing the Carlton dance in Injustice 2 for his idol animation) then more power to you but whatever

People complained about netherrealm faces and when they fixed them they got praise

turns out there wasn't some conspiracy theory against netherrealm and they actually did have problems
I never said that there aren't problems with their presentation, what I did say is that the animations are perfectly satisfactory and the complaints have always been overblown and bordered on absurd when people have claimed that MK and Injustice were "unplayable" or "ugly" because of the way that they're animated. Whenever I see that complaint, especially in the face of the genuinely stunning MK11, I cannot help but roll my eyes.
definitely better than saying,

ThEy aNimAtE FiNe
Saying "there are fucking videos" is the peak of discourse, I agree.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SF5
MKX

screenshot-feb2016-dhalsim-story.jpg

like the rendering in this is so comically bad its laughable. it could actually pass as a photoshopped image created to purposefully troll SF5 but no, thats just how awful the rendering is
That's fair that you cherry picked lol.

But SFV features modern use of shading and lighting. SFV uses physically-based materials and a multi-layered skin shader to deliver its painterly style. It also uses a global illumination middleware called Enlighten for the lighting. There might not be shadows on NPCs (for performance issues), but shadows in the environment do the affect characters.

ct7UjRi.gif

SFV also has high quality motion blur on PC.

YBe6IbJ.gif

SFV also has a fairly strong particle and VFX game.

ic1LsSy.jpg

FitNNhs.png

PcclEXl.gif

n3DBx4V.gif

81ve6qp.gif

MKX does not have anything like this. I don't understand why would you even try to claim otherwise unless you're just trolling.

The textures (on stages, mostly) are a low point, especially on PS4, but it's not some last-gen game in terms of technology. The quality of the stages themselves has been improving over the years as they release new ones. As far as polycounts go, if you're gonna sit there and attempt to claim this is low-poly, just don't even bother.

strangemagic.png

primetimealt.png

triggerwarning.png

rainbowinthedark.png

newjitsu.png

If you think this looks last-gen, if you think the shading and the lighting and shadowing look like something that belongs in the generation that spawned SF4, you're basically being extremely disingenuous and false.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

But SFV features modern use of shading and lighting. SFV uses physically-based materials and a multi-layered skin shader to deliver its painterly style. It also uses a global illumination middleware called Enlighten for the lighting. There might not be shadows on NPCs (for performance issues), but shadows in the environment do the affect characters.

MKX does not have anything like this. I don't understand why would you even try to claim otherwise unless you're just trolling.

The textures (on stages, mostly) are a low point, especially on PS4, but it's not some last-gen game in terms of technology. The quality of the stages themselves has been improving over the years as they release new ones. As far as polycounts go, if you're gonna sit there and attempt to claim this is low-poly, just don't even bother.

If you think this looks last-gen, if you think the shading and the lighting and shadowing look like something that belongs in the generation that spawned SF4, you're basically being extremely disingenuous and false.

I dont think the game looks last gen overall, but certain aspects do. btw enlighten is old tech used in several games on the previous gen consoles even. MK absolutely pushes more polygons as well. The particles in SF5 are just pre animated. They dont react or have any physical properties. In MK they do

its fairly obvious MKX has more advanced rendering. and if we go to MK11 it almost looks like its from an entirely different console generation

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
They animate fine, this is the worst running take in the FGC.

MK11 animates fine. It is the first NRS game that can claim such a feat. Not good, mind you, it isn't able to really stand toe to toe with any of its contemporaries, but it isn't a complete wreck. Some of the NRS games that came before it, on the other hand, were at times simply unacceptable.

There is still LOTS of room to improve. I think NRS will actually keep getting better over time. They have shown an eagerness to improve.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think the game looks last gen overall, but certain aspects do. btw enlighten is old tech used in several games on the previous gen consoles even. MK absolutely pushes more polygons as well. The particles in SF5 are just pre animated. They dont react or have any physical properties. In MK they do
So I am not sure what exactly you are arguing here?
Lets say that yes, MKX has more technical advantages, how is it that it looks worse than SF5 visually?

Developers always use tricks to make something look better with as much shortcuts as possible and the better developers are the ones who can do that eficiently.

That said, I am only basing this argument on your point about "more tech = better". I am not that familiar with the techniques that SF5 does.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So I am not sure what exactly you are arguing here?
Lets say that yes, MKX has more technical advantages, how is it that it looks worse than SF5 visually?

Developers always use tricks to make something look better with as much shortcuts as possible and the better developers are the ones who can do that eficiently.

That said, I am only basing this argument on your point about "more tech = better". I am not that familiar with the techniques that SF5 does.

my original post was that SF5 looks worse relative to generational tech and expectations/hardware capability than SF4 did. the gap between the best of the generation and SF5 is far larger than it was for SF4 and its generation.

You can prefer the look of SFV over MKX. Theres people who think nintendo switch games look better than games like RDR 2

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just saying thank you to Jett. I always love your visual displays of SFV. I find the game breathtaking. Love the use of colors, and the animations are in a league of their own. I always have a blast playing the game too.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF5 is one of the most aesthetically pleasing games this generation.

If sf6 looked exactly the same and just upped the visual quality of the stages in the sequel, I'd be more than happy.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just saying thank you to Jett. I always love your visual displays of SFV. I find the game breathtaking. Love the use of colors, and the animations are in a league of their own. I always have a blast playing the game too.
Jett is cool people. (Except that one time where I thought one or two of Falke's animations looked stiff when the reveal trailer dropped and Jett went ballistic on me for it lol. Yet for some reason the concensus now seems to be that it's indeed not that great, especially compared to the rest of the cast. :P)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

JrtccNR.gif

Jett is cool people. (Except that one time where I thought one or two of Falke's animations looked stiff when the reveal trailer dropped and Jett gave me hell for it. Yet for some reason the concensus now seems to be that it's indeed not that great, especially compared to the rest of the cast. :P)

That's funny if I did that because I think Falke is about the blandest, dullest thing that has happened to SFV. :p

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's funny if I did that because I think Falke is about the blandest, dullest thing that has happened to SFV. :p
If I remember correctly you went kind of ballistic lol, like I have no clue what I'm talking about and of fighting games in general and stuff like that. Probably just a bad day or something.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
SFIV being ugly as fuck is one of the reasons I could never get into it. I also didn't like the way it felt, I had discovered and had been playing a lot of SFIII on PS2 prior to it coming out and preferred the way it played compared to IV. On the flip side, I like SFV a lot as a casual fighting game player

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol according to search it was about Cody, and this is all I "said"

I does seem like a group of us were being dickish about it, sorry. :p
Haha seems like I had complaints for multiple chars. And yeah it wasn't you who asked me whether I even play FGs, either. Damn my stoner years are catching up to me it seems. Sorry for that too, then!
That looks weird to me to this day though. :P

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

ct7UjRi.gif

YBe6IbJ.gif

ic1LsSy.jpg

FitNNhs.png

PcclEXl.gif

n3DBx4V.gif

81ve6qp.gif

strangemagic.png

primetimealt.png

triggerwarning.png

rainbowinthedark.png

newjitsu.png

SFV looks like dead sexy. The haters are just wrong.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I really dislike from both SF4 and SF5 is the weird filtering they have on the background textures. Always looks a bit muddy, blurry, and blotchy.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

ct7UjRi.gif

YBe6IbJ.gif

ic1LsSy.jpg

FitNNhs.png

PcclEXl.gif

n3DBx4V.gif

81ve6qp.gif

strangemagic.png

primetimealt.png

triggerwarning.png

rainbowinthedark.png

newjitsu.png

Huh, I never knew they made a Clayfighter 5.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks all the realistic-rendering looking fighting games have very little visual personality?

Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, etc.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Both IJ2 and MK11 have great mix of dark and colorful stages.

w59606_.png

n025_.png

w99015_.png

r84940_.png

t001736_.png

l896402_.png

l21998_.png

m93927_.png

h715161_.png

m79942_.png

j974824_.png

Stages and facial animations for the last two NRS games are incredible. I think there are many better looking fighting games than MK11 and Injustice 2 this gen, but those are areas that NRS does very well.

Am I the only one that thinks all the realistic-rendering looking fighting games have very little visual personality?

Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, etc.

I won't say a game like Tekken lacks visual personality, but people need to understand realism is an artistic choice that is just as arbitrary as abstraction.

Some recent fighting games get more praise than they should simply because they look more realistic than their competitors, and Tekken 7 is a prime example of that. That game does not look great, which is alright since it's like four years old now (and the game itself is amazing), but it's treated as one of the better looking fighting games this generation.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Man... somebody really needs to post M.Bison's (aka Vega's) SFIV standing animation. It has always looked absolutely horrendous in my opinion. Couldn't believe that made it through his final design phase. And what the hell was up with the weird, "jittery" movements Cammy was making during hers?

Sheesh...

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about Third Strike. From the sound of the punches, to the parry system, to the way characters interact. My god what a good game

It's so fluid. The speed and physics are on point. Game is so fucking good. SF4 and SF5 just don't play as tight imo. Just feels off compared to the older games.

Yeah, MK11 is beautiful. They fixed all of my issues with the aesthetic since they went 3D. The models finally look realistic with normal proportions.