• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Street Fighter 4 has always been ugly, from day one to... well, today.
This. It was ugly the day it was announced and it still is, being next after SF III, the Vs. series, and the Alpha series.

SFV looked just as bad. That plus how unfinished it all was made me skip it entirely.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Except that EX1 and 2 were actually good and decent looking for their day.

Nah, these looked ass as well. EX1 hit the arcades late 1996 looking like Tekken 2 after Soul Edge had already been ported to PS1. It was sitting next to the likes of Last Bronx, Dead or Alive and the ridiculous for its time Virtua Fighter 3. Virtua Fighter 2 had hit Saturn a whole year earlier and does to SFEX what VF5 does to SFIV. By the time EX2 got ported it was sitting alongside DC's Soul Calibur...

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Nah, these looked ass as well. EX1 hit the arcades late 1996 looking like Tekken 2 after Soul Edge had already been ported to PS1. It was sitting next to the likes of Last Bronx, Dead or Alive and the ridiculous for its time Virtua Fighter 3. Virtua Fighter 2 had hit Saturn a whole year earlier and does to SFEX what VF5 does to SFIV. By the time EX2 got ported it was sitting alongside DC's Soul Calibur...
Sure they were half a step behind, but weren't aggressively hideous like (EX)4 and Clayfighter V.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Sure they were half a step behind, but weren't aggressively hideous like (EX)4 and Clayfighter V.

They were better artistically, but relative to other fighters I actually think they were further behind overall. SFIV at least had the expressiveness of character faces and the like as something over most fighters of the time, where that's another area the EX games manage to actually be weaker than most of the competition in on top of everything else.

I remember being extremely disappointed when I first saw Street Fighter EX in the arcades. My first thought was that it reminded me of the original Virtua FIghter and looked like a "my first 3D fighter" attempt (which admittedly was basically what it was).

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Yep. I remember this much clearly. SFEX games at no point ever looked good compared to its contemporaries. It looked worse than games that came out years earlier. Like VF1 remix looks better to me.