• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I've been feeling restricted by what I can do, without a home network, so I want to change that.

I want to be able to setup a home domain, I want a firewall that allows access in and out with only the services I want , I want a file server I can give access to at any given time.

What I suspect I need is two or three boxes. One Domain Controller, Storage Server & Firewall.

I'm not sure on hardware I need and I would like to do this on the cheap. I think a raspberry pi is potentially too little power, but I'm willing to have my mind changed. If I just need to attach an external HD then sure.

Anyone else done this before and what would you recommend me?

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Sounds like you just need to get a NAS and connect it to your network router. I have one for streaming all my stuff from and it works a treat. I have a Synology unit but there are cheaper options out there.