• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Modern Vintage Gamer, someone who was prolific on the Xbox emulator scene is all over the Switch too now.

The Switch scene is going to be incredible!

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Call it Xbox Homebrew scene that he's from... It's misleading.

You silly sausage.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be my long term strategy once the homebrew scene really picks up steam.

I'll pick up another Switch as my "legit" machine, and just have my launch device as my homebrew machine.
Yeah, assuming there's some sort of advanced model at some point, that's exactly what I'll do. Upgrade my main account and use my 2017 model for homebrew.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Homebrew on Switch is gonna be so good once it matures a bit. I'll probably dive into it whenever the inevitable Switch pro or New Switch or whatever releases just using my original for homebrew.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
DevKitPro can apparently target the Switch, and the person in the YouTube video did quite a bit of Xbox homebrew back in the day so he's pretty familiar with console development. If there's a decent port of something like SDL then I imagine that porting something wouldn't be too hard.

yup, SDL got ported.

Probably could port Resident Evil 7 in 10 hours.

If only we had the source code...

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Porting arcade Outrun seems like a really poor choice to me. Because I can see one very clear case of copyright infringement in that video: The Ferrari.

That original Ferrari sprite cannot be used anymore, not by Sega, not by anyone. All Outruns with actual Ferraris are no longer available for purchase. The 3DS Outrun uses an off-brand Ferrari-like instead. So unless those 5 hours included getting a licensing deal with Ferrari, it's an unlicensed Ferrari reproduction.

Likewise, don't port Afterburner. You don't want to get people who make fighter jets angry.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Porting arcade Outrun seems like a really poor choice to me. Because I can see one very clear case of copyright infringement in that video: The Ferrari.

That original Ferrari sprite cannot be used anymore, not by Sega, not by anyone. All Outruns with actual Ferraris are no longer available for purchase. The 3DS Outrun uses an off-brand Ferrari-like instead. So unless those 5 hours included getting a licensing deal with Ferrari, it's an unlicensed Ferrari reproduction.

Likewise, don't port Afterburner. You don't want to get people who make fighter jets angry.

Um, and I'm sure he has the license to port the actual Outrun code? Somehow I doubt licensing agreements were at the top of this dude's mind.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, and I'm sure he has the license to port the actual Outrun code? Somehow I doubt licensing agreements were at the top of this dude's mind.
He doesn't need a license to port the thing.
I agree. And yet people are cheering for it. But I supposed the [Homebrew] tag means it can't be piracy.
Unless he's releasing the game files himself into the public, it literally isn't piracy whatsoever.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Pretty much lol

And if that was an actual issue, Cannonball (the homebrew Outrun engine this Switch port is derived from) would've been sacked a long ass time ago.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Yawn. Ride your hobbyhorse elsewhere please instead of stirring up trouble here.
No. I don't support piracy, no matter what you call it. I just call for honesty here. Is this, or is it not, an unlicensed copy of copyrighted code?

If you want to make your own Outrun-like game and get it to run on Switch, by all means, do so. Actual arcade Outrun with expired license Ferrari? That's not even a gray area.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
This gives flash back of my PSP 2000, played so many GBA and SNES games on it back in the day, portable systems are best for emulators .

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I don't support piracy, no matter what you call it. I just call for honesty here. Is this, or is it not, an unlicensed copy of copyrighted code?

If you want to make your own Outrun-like game and get it to run on Switch, by all means, do so. Actual arcade Outrun with expired license Ferrari? That's not even a gray area.
You don't need a license to port jackshit. You can port literally every game in the world and that's not a problem. Not even arcade Outrun. It doesn't even enter a gray area at all. It's 100% fine legally.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
You don't need a license to port jackshit. You can port literally every game in the world and that's not a problem. Not even arcade Outrun. It doesn't even enter a gray area at all. It's 100% fine legally.
Unlicensed copies of copyrighted code is legal? I'm sure you have sources for that. Oh and get one for unlicensed reproductions of cars, too. Outrun is a double whammy.

I'm not saying this is not impressive, because it most certainly is, but... I don't see how it can be legal. The graphics and music belong to Sega. The Ferrari to, well, Ferrari. And yet here's a Youtube video loudly saying "I copied all of that!" That just doesn't seem all that smart to me.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlicensed copies of copyrighted code is legal? I'm sure you have sources for that. Oh and get one for unlicensed reproductions of cars, too. Outrun is a double whammy.

I'm not saying this is not impressive, because it most certainly is, but... I don't see how it can be legal. The graphics and music belong to Sega. The Ferrari to, well, Ferrari. And yet here's a Youtube video loudly saying "I copied all of that!" That just doesn't seem all that smart to me.
It's 100% absolutely legal to port whatever the fuck you want, yes. The only illegal thing would be if he's distributing it, which he isn't, and im still waiting for you to show he is.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, SDL is SUPER easy to learn. It has built in apis for easy 2d programming.

Give homebrew a try on Switch. You'll be surprised by what you can do!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it's possible for us to play all the removed Pinball Arcade tables one day.

I assume someone would have to dump them, though, and I fear it won't happen as the window for purchasing $210 worth of content was just a few hours.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% absolutely legal to port whatever the fuck you want, yes. The only illegal thing would be if he's distributing it, which he isn't, and im still waiting for you to show he is.

Says who?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/106

"exclusive rights [...] to reproduce the copyrighted work"

Additionally, per Oracle v Google: "It is undisputed that computer programs— defined in the Copyright Act as a set of statements or instructions to be used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a certain result, 17 U.S.C. § 101—can be subject to copyright protection as literary works."

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I see a Youtube video with audiovisual content belonging to Sega and Ferrari, documenting the existence of an unlicensed port. It even says "1986 (C) SEGA" on it. Which the Switch port most certainly is not. In part because the Switch didn't exist in 1986.

Messing with things in your own home for learning? Whatever. Sharing that online? Ehh... Doing so with the content of a third party? Nah, don't do that, it's dangerous.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't copy-righted code. It has nothing to do with what Yu Suzuki and co wrote back in 1987. Of course, that's owned by Sega.

It's one guy's effort to reverse-engineer the game's behaviour and understand how everything worked. He did it all by his own research. This has been done multiple times already for a variety of games, from the popular ScummVM to BloodGDX, to basically everything from the emulation scene.

So please educate yourself. Software patents, in the case of existing, hold no value under EU's law, for example.

Another entirely different issue are the game assets, which in this case are extracted from the original game ROMs. The legality of that isn't a gray area either. If you own the board you can do it.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Says who?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/106

"exclusive rights [...] to reproduce the copyrighted work"

Additionally, per Oracle v Google: "It is undisputed that computer programs— defined in the Copyright Act as a set of statements or instructions to be used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a certain result, 17 U.S.C. § 101—can be subject to copyright protection as literary works."
what exclusive rights? There are no "exclusive rights to reproduce the copyrighted work". It's why emulators can't be taken down.
I see a Youtube video with audiovisual content belonging to Sega and Ferrari, documenting the existence of an unlicensed port. It even says "1986 (C) SEGA" on it. Which the Switch port most certainly is not. In part because the Switch didn't exist in 1986.

Messing with things in your own home for learning? Whatever. Sharing that online? Ehh... Doing so with the content of a third party? Nah, don't do that, it's dangerous.
At worst they could try to take down the video. Nothing more than that. There's nothing stopping me from porting literally every game that has ever existed, provided im not sharing the files myself.